PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Draft Protocol Of Many Posters

Night Train
03-18-2007, 08:28 AM
1. Start reading hack websites about prospects during the winter months.
2. Fall madly in love with certain write-ups, even though you wouldn't recognize the guy standing next to you, wearing his jersey with the name on his back.
3. Put stock in what 3rd rate mock drafts have to say.
4. Call other posters names, for mentioning other players you know nothing about and for failing to worship your immense draft " knowledge ".
5. Defend "your guys" as if they're family members who's honor and talent is unquestioned. Rinse/repeat in 500 threads.
6. Watch the actual draft unfold and scream how "dumb" many picks were, while frantically trying to locate info on most picks you know nothing about.

Happens every year. :rolleyes:

I have my favorites and watch tons of college ball. I also have enough sense to realize Modrak and the scouts do this for a living. I'll be open minded with every draft pick, which is still not an exact science. No team ever has a perfect draft.

Offer opinions but put the "expert" stance and intolerance of others to the curb.

No one is impressed.

kgun12
03-18-2007, 08:37 AM
I agree with this 100%. BTW did you have any particular poster in mind when you were writing this, I sure did. Anyone else have a name pop into their head?

lordofgun
03-18-2007, 08:43 AM
I agree with this 100%. BTW did you have any particular poster in mind when you were writing this, I sure did. Anyone else have a name pop into their head?
dozerdog

kgun12
03-18-2007, 08:44 AM
dozerdog

Not the guy I had in mind.

Statman
03-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I also have enough sense to realize Modrak and the scouts do this for a living. I'll be open minded with every draft pick, which is still not an exact science. No team ever has a perfect draft.
Respect for other posters, meaning people, shouldn't hinge on this.

Regardless and otherwise, having respect for a guy that has never done a good job at what he does, you can call respect, but it would be next to a miracle if the guys running our show had a great draft.

They are not good at what they do. I'd just as soon take my chances with some fans running our draft.

kgun12
03-18-2007, 08:47 AM

Regardless and otherwise, having respect for a guy that has never done a good job at what he does, you can call respect, but it would be next to a miracle if the guys running our show had a great draft.

They are not good at what they do. I'd just as soon take my chances with some fans running our draft.

Are you talking about Marv? I sure hope not. He's only had one draft as GM, and it wasn't so bad. I also seem to remember we had some great drafts during his coaching days with the Bills.

ParanoidAndroid
03-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Statman

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->

To say that they "aren't good at what they do" is out of your realm of knowledge. In the one season they have been "running our show," the team has been better on the field. When the team sharply declines in quality on the field and continues to decline, then I think you may have basis for that opinion. As of right now, you have nothing to go on.

Night Train
03-18-2007, 09:25 AM
having respect for a guy that has never done a good job at what he does, you can call respect, but it would be next to a miracle if the guys running our show had a great draft.

:rofl:

DraftBoy
03-18-2007, 09:26 AM
1. Start reading hack websites about prospects during the winter months.
2. Fall madly in love with certain write-ups, even though you wouldn't recognize the guy standing next to you, wearing his jersey with the name on his back.
3. Put stock in what 3rd rate mock drafts have to say.
4. Call other posters names, for mentioning other players you know nothing about and for failing to worship your immense draft " knowledge ".
5. Defend "your guys" as if they're family members who's honor and talent is unquestioned. Rinse/repeat in 500 threads.
6. Watch the actual draft unfold and scream how "dumb" many picks were, while frantically trying to locate info on most picks you know nothing about.

Happens every year. :rolleyes:

I have my favorites and watch tons of college ball. I also have enough sense to realize Modrak and the scouts do this for a living. I'll be open minded with every draft pick, which is still not an exact science. No team ever has a perfect draft.

Offer opinions but put the "expert" stance and intolerance of others to the curb.

No one is impressed.

Im sorry but everyone is entitled to their opinion right or wrong, this thread is nothing more than an attack on posters whose opinion you dont happen to agree with.

Night Train
03-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Im sorry but everyone is entitled to their opinion right or wrong, this thread is nothing more than an attack on posters whose opinion you dont happen to agree with.

Easy, DB. You couldn't be more off the mark. Attack, it is not.

You do your homework, provide tons of info for the masses and are very open minded. You're a major asset to this site.

You're the polar opposite of the people this thread applies to. Has nothing to do with suppressing ones opinion but a failure to have rational discussion with others, concerning various players.

Many are blindly stuck on a couple names and will explode if they are not selected. I can see it in the same redundant posts from these people.

BILLSROCK1212
03-18-2007, 09:35 AM
I agree with this thread 100% but wtf is the point of talking about it?

DraftBoy
03-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Easy, DB. You couldn't be more off the mark. Attack, it is not.

You do your homework, provide tons of info for the masses and are very open minded. You're a major asset to this site.

You're the polar opposite of the people this thread applies to. Has nothing to do with suppressing ones opinion but a failure to have rational discussion with others, concerning various players.

Many are blindly stuck on a couple names and will explode if they are not selected. I can see it in the same redundant posts from these people.

I understand the purpose of your thread in the intent of it, but read it again, basically you call all posters who have limited draft knowledge and rely on websites that you dont pay to be a part of for their info, as idiotic, bc they fall in love with players, and they read these scouting reports as the Bible. I have no issues with these guys, I think the more they can contribute the better, and I usually dont read the lesser known sites and sometimes those guys catch things that the big pay sites wont bc they want to be PC to a big time prospect for an intrview later on. There are no rights and wrongs about the draft until 3-4 years down the line. Until then everyone is free to say anything they want about our picks and those making them. Nobody is less or more right.

BlackMetalNinja
03-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Here's my pre-draft ritual...

Stay the **** out of this forum so I don't feel like hurling bricks at everybody and their rediculous posting habits.

lordofgun
03-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Here's my pre-draft ritual...

Stay the **** out of this forum so I don't feel like hurling bricks at everybody and their rediculous posting habits.
Some ninja... :cynic:

ParanoidAndroid
03-18-2007, 10:13 AM
I think what the thread starter is trying to relate, is that posters become defensive about their opinions when someone disagrees, to the point of becoming rude and even attacking.
It is one thing to forward your opinion about something you really can't be sure of, but then to strongly defend your opinion as fact, is not how the discussion should be made. I believe that is his point.

DraftBoy
03-18-2007, 10:26 AM
I think what the thread starter is trying to relate, is that posters become defensive about their opinions when someone disagrees, to the point of becoming rude and even attacking.
It is one thing to forward your opinion about something you really can't be sure of, but then to strongly defend your opinion as fact, is not how the discussion should be made. I believe that is his point.

I agree about the intent but the words imo dont say that. I dont mind anybody who has this attitude towards a player, then again I excel at debate and argument, as I was part of my HS and College Debate teams and I work in my states legislature. So I really enjoy arguing for no apparent reason with no logical end in sight.

Dr. Lecter
03-18-2007, 11:07 AM

You want to tell me what was wrong with last year's draft?

I respect Marv's football knowledge more than anybody on this board. He has forgetten more about this game that what we know combined.

How can you say he is not good at drafting when he has one freakin' draft under his belt? Are you able to evaluate drafts after one year????

patmoran2006
03-18-2007, 11:35 AM
You want to tell me what was wrong with last year's draft?

I respect Marv's football knowledge more than anybody on this board. He has forgetten more about this game that what we know combined.

How can you say he is not good at drafting when he has one freakin' draft under his belt? Are you able to evaluate drafts after one year????

First of all concerning Marv. Marv should know more than anybody on this board. He's a NFL General Manager. We are fans. We're not his peers. Dont' judge his abilities as a GM against us; judge it against the other 31 GM's in the league. That's his competition for brilliance, not anybody here.

Last year's draft I liked at the time and I wrote heavily in support of it, despite most on a national level criticizing it.

One year later, I do still think it was a decent draft, but there are at least a couple of questions if not "what is wrong" with last year's draft.

* I didn't then and still don't have a problem with the Whitner pick. Great defenses in the NFL are predicated around stellar safety play. Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Bob Sanders, Mike Brown are just some of the leaders of great defenses. The question right now is Whitner going to be among those calibre of safeties, or is he just going to be a dime a dozen, decent safety? If he's great, then so was the pick. If he's just going to be decent then it was a bad pick, and we should've taken someone else for the defense, such as Ngata or OLB Ernie Simms. Time will tell with this pick, so its wrong to assume anything at this point.

* The McCargo pick I hated at the time, and I still hate it now. IT's not that I dont think he can play, though we saw little before the injury to suggest he was worth two day one draft choices for. I had two problems with this pick the second it was announced. A) He's the same type of DT as Tripplett, making it too high to draft a rotational player in round one.. B) Marv knew our OL was the weakest part of this team, and a sure blue-chip center was on the board in Nick Mangold. WHen I heard the trade go down, I was pumped right away thinking we just nabbed a future pro bowl center. I also feared (and still do) that McCargo was more of a beneficiary of playing next to Mario Williams and Manny Lawson in college. So I hated this pick, still do.. and that's just my opinion.

* Loved the YOuboty pick at the time. We knew Nate was going into his final year here and drafting his replacement in round three was a great move. However, this is only a good pick if we DON'T draft a CB high this year. If we do, then IMO this pick sucked ass and was another waste.

* The picks of Ko SImpson and Kyle Williams were brilliant steals. Simpson is entreched as a starter and at worst, Williams is a solid rotaional DT. Ellison was strong in the 6th. He may be a starter this year (though I dont think highly of him as some of you- I know we can do better) but still, it was a good pick. Penington and Merz at the end were strong too.

So overall, it was a good draft.. But it wasn't perfect-- there are things to find wrong- just as you could with any team Im sure.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-18-2007, 04:08 PM

This is true. What is wrong with a guy reading something about a player and liking the player. I totally agree with draftboy. Someone shouldn't gain an opinion because they do some reading. How about this:

7. Some jerkoff will come in and try to put posters down because of their opinion on a guy because they do a little research.

Spiderweb
03-18-2007, 05:03 PM
dozerdog

Is Dozerdog the one who put together the great Draft roundup last year?

Night Train
03-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Ithen again I excel at debate and argument, as I was part of my HS and College Debate teams and I work in my states legislature.
So impressive ! :clap:

Once again, it's about intelligent discussion, pro or con. It's all good.

The few that put others down with little knowledge on what they talk about was my basis for the post. It's all about respecting ones opinion, no matter who you are. There is no wrong answer.. but intolerance of others is wrong.

Glad to see you and Ghost of JK understood this completely.

The key sentence in my original post. Anyone see the irony in some responses above ?

ShadowHawk7
03-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm not basing my opinion on any of that stuff Night Train said. I have analyzed the current Bills team, found their largest need, and looked at the best players by concensus at those positions and compared them to other players at the same position further down in the draft and to players of similiar skill at different positions. Though this I have determined, in my opinion, that the best scenario is if the Bills pick Willis, the concensus top LB, at 12 unless Peterson is there.