Damn dirty.

Stretcher & all, wow.

JD
03-18-2007, 10:31 AM
WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THE NHL?????????

Ebenezer
03-18-2007, 01:31 PM
WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THE NHL?????????
it will continue until somebody is seriously hurt (or dies) or the NHL decides to banish somebody.

hammerbillsfan
03-18-2007, 02:19 PM
it will continue until somebody is seriously hurt (or dies)

We've seen that already when Bertuzzi broke Moore's neck. :horror:

GThirst
03-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Bertuzzi didn't break his neck. The handful of idiots who decided to dog pile on after the fact did.

hammerbillsfan
03-18-2007, 05:47 PM
It sure looks to me Bertuzzi was the only one who drove his head into the ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiLlz4-vUFg

Ebenezer
03-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Bertuzzi didn't break his neck. The handful of idiots who decided to dog pile on after the fact did.
regardless...why does this stuff have to exist at all??

in today's game Vanek was shoved right into where the crossbar meets the post. the referee was standing watching and did nothing. do you know what they call a cop that doesn't arrest a criminal?? a civilian. that referee should lose his job. that player should have been in the box. nobody is against good physical play. it's crap like this that is not needed in the game. why does it have to exist?? because people like to see it?? I hope they enjoy it when somebody dies or becomes permanently mentally handicapped because of it.

qcsabresfan84
03-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Not that i condone it, but does anyone else feel like this wasn't really that bad of a hit by Tootoo? He finishes his check cleanly on Modano, wasn't even a huge body check, and then Robidas decides too go after Tootoo for an illegal hit that was unwarranted., and Tootoo just didn't let him do it. Robidas went in to attack him and Tootoo said **** that, i just made a clean check. I know all about protecting your team's stars and everything, but i think it should be strictly on dirty hits, i.e. ovechkin on briere. Robidas was out of place and he got what was coming to him. That being said, a sucker punch was not the best option by Tootoo when a simple shove would have done. All the best to Robidas and I hope he can recover from whatever injury he sustained.

Ebenezer
03-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Not that i condone it, but does anyone else feel like this wasn't really that bad of a hit by Tootoo? He finishes his check cleanly on Modano, wasn't even a huge body check, and then Robidas decides too go after Tootoo for an illegal hit that was unwarranted., and Tootoo just didn't let him do it. Robidas went in to attack him and Tootoo said **** that, i just made a clean check. I know all about protecting your team's stars and everything, but i think it should be strictly on dirty hits, i.e. ovechkin on briere. Robidas was out of place and he got what was coming to him. That being said, a sucker punch was not the best option by Tootoo when a simple shove would have done. All the best to Robidas and I hope he can recover from whatever injury he sustained.
a sucker punch is never warranted. that's the sign of a true coward.

MikeInRoch
03-18-2007, 08:07 PM
The guy was coming after him to drill him with a cross check. I have no problem with the punch.

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2007, 08:38 PM
I have no problem with the punch as well. The guy was going to come in and drill Jordan. What? Is he supposed to just let the guy hit him? F no!!! I have thought that maybe when a guy is going to get drilled into the boards, he should brace his hand against the glass with his elbow out. This is the exact point that the NHL has to get away from. It was a clean check that Madono certainly saw coming. Why does there have to be some type of retribution from a clean check. You know, against Pittsburg, Briere was nailed by Roberts. Briere had the puck and it was clean so no retribution was needed. The only thing about that I would like out is the hit that is meant to put a guy out. That didn't look like what Jordan was doing.

Of course nobody says JACK about Modano coming down on the guys back with his stick.

MikeInRoch
03-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Agreed that Madono should get a few games as well...

JD
03-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Was there a suspension?

qcsabresfan84
03-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Was there a suspension?

five game suspension. I like that the league said that a player has the right to defend himself, which he was clearly doing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2805040

Ebenezer
03-19-2007, 07:57 PM
if it had been a Sabre coming in to the play to protect Briere and Tootoo sucker punched him the folks on this board would have been calling for a very strong suspension.

GThirst
03-19-2007, 08:30 PM
I would have given him 15 games. Next offense minimum of 25, then out of the league on the next.

chernobylwraiths
03-19-2007, 10:01 PM
What a ***** joke. Guy was coming in to take him out and got clocked.

It's called a sucker punch because the sucker should have seen it coming. I guess the NHL likes it better when guys get attacked after a clean check.

MikeInRoch
03-20-2007, 08:47 AM
The NHL also investigated Modano's slash to the back of Tootoo, but did not take disciplinary action, as reported in the Dallas Morning News.

Now THERE is a shocker.

Canadian'eh!
03-20-2007, 09:10 AM

I don't disagree at all....

1st of all... that was NOT a sucker punch. A sucker punch is blindsiding. Robidas is charging at Tootoo from behind and looking to drill him headfirstinto the baords... tootoo spun around and saw it last second and threw the punch FROM THE FRONT.

If you're about to run a guy you better be aware he might protect himself.... Tootoo caught him pretty clean... but again... it was from the front when Robidas was out to run him....

5 games might ro might not be excessive... but i dont' think he deserves any more.... nothing like Simon.

Meathead
03-20-2007, 03:27 PM
it has been over two day now since the vid was posted

i have watched it somewhere around thirty or so times

i would like to hear MikeInRoch and Chernobylwraiths reexplain their defense

chernobylwraiths
03-20-2007, 05:01 PM
it has been over two day now since the vid was posted

i have watched it somewhere around thirty or so times

i would like to hear MikeInRoch and Chernobylwraiths reexplain their defense

That guy was coming in to drill him in the back for a clean check. That is the main reason why he got so messed up. If he wasn't coming in hell bent on taking a piece out of Tootoo, then he wouldn't be so hurt. But, since Tootoo saw him coming and decided to do something about it before he could get hit, then Tootoo is taking the brunt of the penalty. If Tootoo had just hit him like that while they were both just standing there, the guy would be fine.

Look at it twenty more times so it looks worse. It has to be looked at in the context of play. EVERYBODY knows what Robidas was skating over to Tootoo for. He should have been at least aware that Tootoo might see him coming and defend himself. I will amend my first post to say that at the very most, he should have received no more than a one game suspension. It was a bit cheap, but given the NHL, I am surprised that it got anything. Oh, I forgot, the guy was hurt and carted off and in the NHL that means it has to be a stiff penalty. Unless of course it happens to one of the Sabres.

Meathead
03-20-2007, 09:35 PM
wow

if the nhl ran the way you would have it i would stop being a fan

if a guy is skating toward you and you think he might try to run you just go ahead and punch him straight in the face. forget that he might just be intending to rough you up a little in a relatively benign display to protect his star player, just go ahead and punch him with all your might when he doesnt expect it

wow

you are one strange man, very inconsistent. yours is the position of a macho jackass, which you dont strike me as, but there it is

wow

qcsabresfan84
03-20-2007, 10:28 PM
But it's cool for Robidas to take a run at a player who is nowhere near the puck, and is standing only 2 feet from the boards? That's a great area to hurt your neck or your back. If you watch that video, Robidas is bringing both arms up high on Tootoo before he gets clocked. He wasn't going in there to just give him a shove, he was going to make a bigtime hit on a vulnerable, stationary player. Everyone is making him out to be a sweetheart, but forgetting the fact that after he got carted off, he got assessed a charging penalty. Robidas started the whole thing, it's his own fault he couldn't finish it.

Meathead
03-20-2007, 10:33 PM
yeah its ok, if you think youre going to get charged just punch the guy as hard as you can in his face. totally fine

you guys are unreal

Ebenezer
03-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Now THERE is a shocker.
I thought it was a little high myself.

Ebenezer
03-20-2007, 10:43 PM
wow

if the nhl ran the way you would have it i would stop being a fan

if a guy is skating toward you and you think he might try to run you just go ahead and punch him straight in the face. forget that he might just be intending to rough you up a little in a relatively benign display to protect his star player, just go ahead and punch him with all your might when he doesnt expect it

wow

you are one strange man, very inconsistent. yours is the position of a macho jackass, which you dont strike me as, but there it is

wow
I don't disagree. You don't have the right to punch somebody because they are charging at you. He had time to ****, load and throw the punch then he also had time to back away, duck or get ready to get hit. He ASSUMED the guy was going to pummel him.

chernobylwraiths
03-21-2007, 06:12 AM
LOL

Rough him up in a benign way?! What league are you watching? The force of the punch was amplified by the speed at which Robidas was skating in to take out Tootoo. Same as Kermit Washington on Rudy Tomjonovich. If you are gonna go running (skating?) into the fray, you better be prepaired.

I'm not a blood and guts "old time hockey" guy. I just know that if you are going to run a guy or get into an altercation with a guy, you better know that he might just be waiting for you.

Mitchy moo
03-21-2007, 08:37 AM
They guy didn't expect him to come out swinging, it's a sucker punch.

RockStar36
03-21-2007, 08:53 AM
I saw the hit on ESPN yesterday, better angle than the video online. I don't consider it a sucker punch. The five game suspension was good enough for the hit. I don't see what the issue is anymore.

MikeInRoch
03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Even the NHL indicates that it was clear he was defending himself.

When you come charging in to belt someone with your stick raised up, then yes, you have the right to belt them.

Meathead
03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
bring on rollerball!

MikeInRoch
03-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Your proposal is so much better. Someone is coming towards me to deliver an illegal hit into the boards with their stick at head level. Guess I should just stand here and take it.

chernobylwraiths
03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
In retrospect, he probably should have just ducked at the last second. Robidas would have gone over him headfirst into the boards and possibly broken his neck. And Jordan wouldn't have been suspended. :up:

I'm no macho guy, but if I see a guy coming at me to hit me, I think hitting him before he hits me would be the first thing that comes to mind.

chernobylwraiths
03-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Actually Tootoo was challenging him to a duel. He just hit him too hard with his glove across the face.

Ebenezer
03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
In retrospect, he probably should have just ducked at the last second. Robidas would have gone over him headfirst into the boards and possibly broken his neck. And Jordan wouldn't have been suspended. :up:

I'm no macho guy, but if I see a guy coming at me to hit me, I think hitting him before he hits me would be the first thing that comes to mind.
I can see it now a league of guys going off half cocked punching each other first and then saying..."I thought he was going to cheapshot me so I defended myself"...that's how this crap starts...and don't say it wouldn't ever happen in the NHL.

Meathead
03-21-2007, 02:44 PM
exactly!

and we could have sections of the rink on fire and guys riding motorcycles and stuff

it would rule!

http://www.popcultmag.com/criticalmass/movies/2002/rollerball.jpg

Actually Tootoo was challenging him to a duel. He just hit him too hard with his glove across the face.
he coulda done it the civilized way like bugs bunny and put a horseshoe in it first

kgun12
03-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Whether you agree or disagree with the hit being legal, unless situations like this are dealt with, no matter if it was considered self defense or not, hits on players like Durry will continue. If a player doesn't think that there is a chance of a suspension and or lose of money, we can expect things to get worse not better for the skilled guys.

The other thing about this type of play, the attitude of some here and the attention the ESPN's of the world give it, for as good as this game is, this type of publicity is sure to keep the sport on stations like Versus! This type of publicity isn't going to make the average non hockey watching sports fan go WOW I got watch this sport. Actually it will have quite the opposite affect!

MikeInRoch
03-21-2007, 03:46 PM
I can see it now a league of guys going off half cocked punching each other first and then saying..."I thought he was going to cheapshot me so I defended myself"...that's how this crap starts...and don't say it wouldn't ever happen in the NHL.

But in this case, it was completely true. It seems very obvious to me based on the replay.

MikeInRoch
03-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Whether you agree or disagree with the hit being legal, unless situations like this are dealt with, no matter if it was considered self defense or not, hits on players like Durry will continue. If a player doesn't think that there is a chance of a suspension and or lose of money, we can expect things to get worse not better for the skilled guys.

I take it the opposite way. If I hit your star cleanly and (a) one of your guys comes in to cheap shot me because of it, and (b) that star whacks me in the back with their stick, with basically no repercussions to them, then THAT sends the wrong message.

kgun12
03-21-2007, 04:06 PM
I take it the opposite way. If I hit your star cleanly and (a) one of your guys comes in to cheap shot me because of it, and (b) that star whacks me in the back with their stick, with basically no repercussions to them, then THAT sends the wrong message.

Maybe maybe not. All I know that this type of play and publicity is KILLING this sport! No way, the average sports fan and casual hockey fan come to watch this sport after the last month or so of bad publicity. My brother who owns a sports bar and mother in law both huge sports fans will not watch hockey. Every time one of these type of hits is shown on ESPN, I get a phone call or email from them asking me again how great the sport is. I here it all the time from guys I work with to. After this hit, one of the guys who's son played hockey his whole life and this guy is a ref, won't watch hockey, but sure as hell had to ask me if I seen the Tootoo hit on TV yet? His said great sport that NHL with a snicker!

All I'm saying that if the NHL get serious with players and they know that bad hit will cost them, then you will probably stop TooToo punch as well. At least the thought that is might cost them games and/or money will clean up the game!

Ebenezer
03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
But in this case, it was completely true. It seems very obvious to me based on the replay.
In this case leads to the next case...leads to the next case and so on...you want a clean game this crap has to be stopped...

try this logic...he had to defend himself because the player was going to club him...why did he feel the player was going to club him?? maybe because he knew he hit Modano illegally to begin with?

kgun12
03-21-2007, 04:17 PM
In this case leads to the next case...leads to the next case and so on...you want a clean game this crap has to be stopped...

try this logic...he had to defend himself because the player was going to club him...why did he feel the player was going to club him?? maybe because he knew he hit Modano illegally to begin with?

try this logic...he had to defend himself because the player was going to club him...why did he feel the player was going to club him? Because in the NHL this is how justice is handled. He knows that the player is going to club him put him out for X amount of games recovering and the player that club him get a game or two maybe? After reading my post, I see why the NHL is stuck on Versus.

qcsabresfan84
03-21-2007, 04:41 PM

I don't see the logic since there wasn't anything minutely illegal about his hit on Modano. I'm pretty sure he felt the guy was going to club him because he turned around and saw a player charging at him when they weren't anywhere near the play of the puck anymore

chernobylwraiths
03-21-2007, 09:37 PM

Hey Eb, pull your head out of your you know what for a second. You want to get rid of this crap, then get rid of the cheap shots on players when they make a clean check. Remember last years playoffs? Campbell lays out Umberger with a completely clean check and he has to defend himself immediately because everybody else on the ice tries to jump him. Fast forward to this year and Umberger himself goes after him. If we can get rid of retribution for clean checks then maybe guys wouldn't feel the need to protect themselves.

Again, I'm sure just about everyone here if they saw someone coming after them knowing they were going to hit them (probably with intent to injure) they would defend themselves before getting hit. Except of course for you and Meathead who would cower in the corner begging them not to hit you. (Sarcasm)

Of course, it Tootoo had let Robidas hit him, I'm sure you would be calling for a suspension to him for his vicious hit on Tootoo.

Meathead
03-22-2007, 12:02 AM
and if it went to overtime they could release wild ravenous animals onto the ice for five minutes

and if that didnt decide it the shootout could be each player taking a free spear at the goalie and the last netminder standing would win