PDA

View Full Version : Cookie Gilchrist plea for help.

blackonyx89
03-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Sad to see about him like that even though I've never seen him play. Was he that good? And will he soften up to Ralph? I don't know......

http://www.buffalonews.com/213/story/35015.html

I pray he gets well.:candle:

Michael82
03-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Hopefully Ralph will soften up to him and put him on the wall. It's well deserved. :( :pray:

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Hopefully Ralph will soften up to him and put him on the wall. It's well deserved. :( :pray:

Didn't he leave here on bad terms. I thought he was kind of a pain in the rear when he played here. I guess Billsology or someone could answer better than me.

camelcowboy
03-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Didn't he leave here on bad terms. I thought he was kind of a pain in the rear when he played here. I guess Billsology or someone could answer better than me.

Him and wilson didn't get along, but i don't know the extent of it. I could ask my grandfather, but he doesn't remember my name :idunno: It must have been bad if Wilson wont put him on the wall.

Michael82
03-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Him and wilson didn't get along, but i don't know the extent of it. I could ask my grandfather, but he doesn't remember my name :idunno: It must have been bad if Wilson wont put him on the wall.
don't forget that Wilson won't put Lou Saban on the wall either. :ill:

Ebenezer
03-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Historian can corret me if I am wrong but I believe that Larry Felser, years ago, explained that Cookie was the first and only inductee into the Bills of Hall of Fame. That yes, Cookie has been bitter for decades and that he and RW never saw eye to eye. Also, that Cookie was only about the money. Cookie was adored by the public but in a day in age of multimedia he would have been run out of Buffalo faster than McGahee. Great article here:

http://www.billsbackers.com/CookieGilchrist.htm

Cookie's three year stay with the Bills can be summed up in five words : Trouble, trouble, and more trouble. One year went by before the first incident. On May 14, 1963, Gilchrist was arrested f or failure to observe a stop sign and resisting an officer. The 259 pound powerhouse was taken to a police station where patrolman Robert Klean claimed that Gilchrist had floored him with a punch. Cookie was fined only $60 for these offenses.

The Bills, in the summer of ‘64, had announced a date on which Gilchrist was to have signed his contract. News reporters, and radio & TV announcers were invited to witness the signing, but Cookie was nowhere in sight. He was up in Canada, jumping out of a helicopter into lakes, to stake mining claims .

Then came that fateful day of' November 17, 1964 (two clays after Boston had handed the Bills their first setback of the ‘64 season). Lou Saban put Gilchrist on waivers. This meant that any AFL team could claim him for only $ 100. It would have been the best bargain since the fluke that sent Jack Kemp to Buffalo for the same amount.

Saban's reason for Gilchrist's firing: "The club is more important than any single individual player."

During the game, the Bills players themselves got frustrated with Gilchrist.

"If you're not going to help us, take off your uniform and get out of here," yelled one offensive lineman.

Seems that Gilchrist was so hungover that he decided that he would not block opposing blitzers in their attempt to sack the Bills quarterback. When the Patriots realized that they had a free lane to the quarterback, they had a hay day at the expense of QB Jack Kemp. It turned out to be one of the most physical beatings of Kemp's professional life.

Gilchrist had substituted Willie Ross for himself in the November 15th game with Boston. This is not done in football. Only the coach can substitute.

Another reason for the Saban's placing Gilchrist on waivers was that Cookie had used inflammatory statements against Lou Saban, Jack Kemp, and halfback Joe Auer.

The final reason was Cookie's absences from practices on several occasions during the ‘64 season. This was due mostly to difficulties with customs officials at the Peace Bridge connecting Buffalo with Canada when Gilchrist made his frequent trips to and from Canada.

Michael82
03-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Historian can corret me if I am wrong but I believe that Larry Felser, years ago, explained that Cookie was the first and only inductee into the Bills of Hall of Fame. That yes, Cookie has been bitter for decades and that he and RW never saw eye to eye. Also, that Cookie was only about the money. Cookie was adored by the public but in a day in age of multimedia he would have been run out of Buffalo faster than McGahee. Great article here:

http://www.billsbackers.com/CookieGilchrist.htm

Cookie's three year stay with the Bills can be summed up in five words : Trouble, trouble, and more trouble. One year went by before the first incident. On May 14, 1963, Gilchrist was arrested f or failure to observe a stop sign and resisting an officer. The 259 pound powerhouse was taken to a police station where patrolman Robert Klean claimed that Gilchrist had floored him with a punch. Cookie was fined only $60 for these offenses.

The Bills, in the summer of ‘64, had announced a date on which Gilchrist was to have signed his contract. News reporters, and radio & TV announcers were invited to witness the signing, but Cookie was nowhere in sight. He was up in Canada, jumping out of a helicopter into lakes, to stake mining claims .

Then came that fateful day of' November 17, 1964 (two clays after Boston had handed the Bills their first setback of the ‘64 season). Lou Saban put Gilchrist on waivers. This meant that any AFL team could claim him for only $ 100. It would have been the best bargain since the fluke that sent Jack Kemp to Buffalo for the same amount.

Saban's reason for Gilchrist's firing: "The club is more important than any single individual player."

During the game, the Bills players themselves got frustrated with Gilchrist.

"If you're not going to help us, take off your uniform and get out of here," yelled one offensive lineman.

Seems that Gilchrist was so hungover that he decided that he would not block opposing blitzers in their attempt to sack the Bills quarterback. When the Patriots realized that they had a free lane to the quarterback, they had a hay day at the expense of QB Jack Kemp. It turned out to be one of the most physical beatings of Kemp's professional life.

Gilchrist had substituted Willie Ross for himself in the November 15th game with Boston. This is not done in football. Only the coach can substitute.

Another reason for the Saban's placing Gilchrist on waivers was that Cookie had used inflammatory statements against Lou Saban, Jack Kemp, and halfback Joe Auer.

The final reason was Cookie's absences from practices on several occasions during the ‘64 season. This was due mostly to difficulties with customs officials at the Peace Bridge connecting Buffalo with Canada when Gilchrist made his frequent trips to and from Canada.
hmm, if all that is correct...he does sound worse than Willis. :ill:

Jan Reimers
03-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Regardless of his behavior back then, he is a human being who now needs help. And I am far from some bleeding heart. I just feel that none of us are God, and while we can feel bitter toward people at times, we have no right to turn our backs on them when they really need help.

I hope Ralph and the Bills organization can forget the past and reach out to him. It's the right thing to do.

Michael82
03-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Regardless of his behavior back then, he is a human being who now needs help. And I am far from some bleeding heart. I just feel that none of us are God, and while we can feel bitter toward people at times, we have no right to turn our backs on them when they really need help.

I hope Ralph and the Bills organization can forget the past and reach out to him. It's the right thing to do.
Good post! :bf1:

Ebenezer
03-18-2007, 03:58 PM

I didn't mean to say he shouldn't be helped. I was just responding to the post regarding Cookie being on the WoF. There are many veteran players that gave their body and soul to the game who are in great need. It would be nice if the "millionaire babies" who are reaping the benefits would do something for these guys.

kgun12
03-18-2007, 04:51 PM

While reading the article I had the same thought go though my mind, I would feel the same about McGaHee and there isn't much I like about him! GREAT POST!!!