PDA

View Full Version : One thing I'm tired of hearing is

Earthquake Enyart
03-19-2007, 01:47 PM
That you don't need good corners for a cover two.

That's just silly.

OpIv37
03-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm sick of hearing about how Youboty had a "first round grade". What the **** does that even mean?

He was drafted in the 3rd round and barely saw the field last year, so I don't really see how his ranking prior to the 2006 draft has any relevance.

Mike Williams also had a first round grade.

Earthquake Enyart
03-19-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm sick of hearing about how Youboty had a "first round grade". What the **** does that even mean?

He was drafted in the 3rd round and barely saw the field last year, so I don't really see how his ranking prior to the 2006 draft has any relevance.

I agree.

gr8slayer
03-19-2007, 01:50 PM
You don't need great corners for a C2 Zone.

Saratoga Slim
03-19-2007, 01:51 PM
of course you need good corners, but you don't need Champ Bailey. As I understand it, downfield shut-down skills are not quite as important as physicality in preventing the receivers from getting a clean break from the LOS on their routes.

gr8slayer
03-19-2007, 01:51 PM

And Tom Brady and Colston didn't. What's your point?

OpIv37
03-19-2007, 01:54 PM

you just proved it- every draft pick is a gamble and you never know when you're gonna find a Brady or Colston in the 6th round or get stuck with a bum like Williams on the 4th overall pick. So whatever the critics said about Youboty is completely irrelevent to his ability to contribute to this team THIS year.

camelcowboy
03-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Leinart was a top five pick, Whitner was bottom 1st/second round pick, my point is when your talking about Lynch, Okoye, Willis, maybe available at 12 your telling me they should take Leon Hall. I watched him get biatched slapped by tons of college corners. No thanks. Move down if you want a corner.

Mr. Pink
03-19-2007, 02:00 PM

For every Tom Brady there is 20 Spergon Wynns' Cleveland selected him in the same round as Brady, 16 picks earlier. Todd Husak went 3 picks after Brady.

And for every Marques Colston there is 20 David Andersons' The Texans selected him 1 pick before N.O. took Colston. Kevin McMahan went 3 picks later.

So what is your point exactly?

camelcowboy
03-19-2007, 02:04 PM
you just proved it- every draft pick is a gamble and you never know when you're gonna find a Brady or Colston in the 6th round or get stuck with a bum like Williams on the 4th overall pick. So whatever the critics said about Youboty is completely irrelevent to his ability to contribute to this team THIS year.

Who says that Youboty who missed most of the season because his mom died is going any less affective then a first round corner. Both don't have much playing expierence at least Youboty has been on the team for a year.

JoeMama
03-19-2007, 02:05 PM
That you don't need good corners for a cover two.

That's just silly.

I think you'll be surprised by Kiwaukee Thomas and/or Ashton Youboty this year.

THATHURMANATOR
03-19-2007, 02:37 PM
But EE you don't need top flight CBs for the cover 2 defense

And Op Youboty did have a first round grade!

Earthquake Enyart
03-19-2007, 02:40 PM

STFU.

OpIv37
03-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Like I said, so did Mike Williams. And see my thread- the same people who called Whitner a "reach" are the ones who said Youboty had a "first round grade". Think about that.

THATHURMANATOR
03-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Like I said, so did Mike Williams. And see my thread- the same people who called Whitner a "reach" are the ones who said Youboty had a "first round grade". Think about that.
I don't want to think about it...

Night Train
03-19-2007, 02:50 PM
You have a point, EE .

What many scouts are pointing out is that there doesn't seem to be much seperation between the top 8-10 CB's, so wait until Rounds 2-3 to get one.

Michigans Leon Hall was smoked by Ginn, Jarrett and others. I don't care about the prototype, measurables and hype. It's how you perform in games.

He's going to have to cover top shelf WR's every week, not 2-3 a year. Don't get polarized by one CB. Other choices exist.

Earthquake Enyart
03-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Hall has speed. You can teach him the rest.

RockStar36
03-19-2007, 03:02 PM
They need good corners in a Cover 2. Every good team needs good corners. I think the point was in a Cover 2 we don't need shutdown corners (breaking the bank for Clements).

Taking a CB with the 12th overall pick would be moronic.

THATHURMANATOR
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
MORONIC EE MORONIC.

Night Train
03-19-2007, 03:08 PM

So did J.D. Williams, EE.

Remind me how that worked out.

Don't Panic
03-19-2007, 03:19 PM
of course you need good corners, but you don't need Champ Bailey. As I understand it, downfield shut-down skills are not quite as important as physicality in preventing the receivers from getting a clean break from the LOS on their routes.

Exactly. The skill set is different. They have to be good, obviously, but they don't need to be "shut down" corners... and they don't need to be making $10 million a year for the next eight years... and they don't need to come from the 1st round (which Marv has stated publicly).

JoeMama
03-20-2007, 07:43 AM

Luckily, the difference in speed between Youboty and Hall isn't too vast.

Leon Hall averaged a 4.42 forty at the combine.

Ashton Youboty didn't run at the combine but apparently ran a 4.46 at OSU.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2007, 07:54 AM
I guess nobody watched the games last year. Mr. Playmaker had 3 ints last year. Sorry, but this thread should be called "should we have re-signed Nate?"

For me, taking the money that we would have overpaid for him and using it to sign Dockery while letting Yobouty get his shot makes alot more sense to me.

To keep it in perspective, Asante Samuel had 10 ints.

Earthquake Enyart
03-20-2007, 07:56 AM
If Youboty is our starting CB next year, I'm going Pat Mortan mental. :mad:

HHURRICANE
03-20-2007, 08:00 AM
If Youboty is our starting CB next year, I'm going Pat Mortan mental. :mad:

5 ints in the last 2 years are pretty big shoes to fill.

Stewie
03-20-2007, 09:25 AM
you dont "need" shutdown corner in a cover-2 becuase they're rarely asked to play man, and often asked to stay up near the line and suppor the run.

you dont "need" a million dollars either but it would be nice, no?