• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

New idea for pass interference?

San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan wants to see the NFL adopt a new pass interference rule that gives officials some leeway in handing out punishment.

Nolan's plan would let officials decide if a penalty should result in a 15-yard penalty or a harsher, spot of the foul penalty.
    The current rules state that a defensive pass interference penalty rewards the offense with the ball at the spot of the foul or at the one yard line if the penalty happens in the end zone

San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan wants to see the NFL adopt a new pass interference rule that gives officials some leeway in handing out punishment, according to a published report.

D & S Sports

• Pride
    • Jul 2002

Re: New idea for pass interference?

He makes good points! I'd like to see this instituted and only giving the spot of the foul type of calls to the most blatent infractions

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

Too much gray area. I like it the way it is which favors the offense. It shouldn't be called unless it's obvious and interfering with the receiver takes away a potentially big play if it's a deep pass. Whether it's a minor tug or a blatant handful of jersey doesn't change the possibility that the receiver could have caught the ball.

His comment about ending someone's career being 15 yards is dumb. If someone does that on purpose, the team gets 15, sure, because a member commited a personal foul. Now, since it was "personal," everything after that, including fines, a bad name around the league, etc. is all on the player. His logic seems sound on the surface, on a pedestrian level, but it makes little football sense.

If a big play can be negated by an offensive holding penalty, then a potential big play should stand due to a pass interference penalty. It all evens out. The rule is fine the way it is.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

They already have it...it's called 'illegal contact' and is an automatic first down.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Anything that gives discretion to the refs will come back to haunt Buffalo. This is where you get those one-sided calls where one team will get 15 yarders and the other team will get spot fouls and the NFL will find some BS to justify the discrepancy the following Tuesday when it's too late.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
            Anything that gives discretion to the refs will come back to haunt Buffalo. This is where you get those one-sided calls where one team will get 15 yarders and the other team will get spot fouls and the NFL will find some BS to justify the discrepancy the following Tuesday when it's too late.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• venis2k1
              Youboty can hope
              • Jul 2002

i dont want those refs deciding anything that isnt black and white.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

I like it the way it is.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  That's where I lean. NFL officials don't show a great history of handling judgement calls and discretion very well. My inclination is as much as possible to keep discretion out of the hands of referees.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                    • Jul 2005

Is it pass interference if Nate Clements drops a bundle of money on the field and a receiver trips over it? That's the policy clarification I'd be looking for if I was Mike Nolan.
                    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• camelcowboy
                      • Mar 2005

They can't even perform they're job well now. The idea of giving them more responsibilty to blunder is not a sound one.

Comment

• feldspar
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                        They can't even perform they're job well now.
                        The refs are sooo bad that I've actually contemplated not watching football anymore because the game wasn't fair.

Every single week the refs hand teams victories because of bad calls.

I hate them.

What the league should do is hire full-time officials, not insurance salesman and lawyers who are part-time refs. It's not like the league can't afford full-time officials. Also, we need the refs to be relatively young and physically fit so they can keep up with the speed of the game.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                          • Jul 2005

They can't even perform they're job well now. The idea of giving them more responsibilty to blunder is not a sound one.
                          I think referees generally do a pretty good job, especially with the aid of instant replay. It's got to be a pretty damn hard job to perform, things happen so fast.
                          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• camelcowboy
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
                            I think referees generally do a pretty good job, especially with the aid of instant replay. It's got to be a pretty damn hard job to perform, things happen so fast.
                            I have to agree to disagree, because officiating in football is the worse in all of major league sports. They need full time Refs, not some lawyer or teacher who does it on their days off. Full time refs who's only job is to referee football would be good for everybody.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                              • Jul 2005

I have to agree to disagree, because officiating in football is the worse in all of major league sports. They need full time Refs, not some lawyer or teacher who does it on their days off. Full time refs who's only job is to referee football would be good for everybody.
                              It is kinda odd that they don't have full time referees. It's not like they'd have any trouble affording to pay them. Heck, it would only be a 4-5 month a year job.

Comment

Working...
                              X