PDA

View Full Version : Who will be our Right Tackle?

mysticsoto
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
People seem to assume it's going to be Walker, but I really think Pennington and maybe even Butler are going to put up a serious fight for the starting position:

From Chris Brown's blog:

PENNINGTON LOOKING FIT: Bills OT Terrance Pennington looked like he's firmed up some since last season. He came in a little soft last year, but looks like he's toned his body up this offseason. He said he's been working hard in the weight room.

THATHURMANATOR
03-19-2007, 03:27 PM
If that is the case maybe Walker would be a guard. I guess we will see in the next couple months!

BILLSROCK1212
03-19-2007, 03:28 PM
you know with the money we payed him you'd think he'd be our starter but I think he could be more of a situational player

RockStar36
03-19-2007, 03:29 PM
IMO, Walker will start.

I think that the coaches saw something in him that we didn't. In all the interviews I've seen it looked like they were really high on his abilities.

casdhf
If Walker has agility problems and difficulty with speed rushers, he should slide inside to guard.

Night Train
If that is the case maybe Walker would be a guard. I guess we will see in the next couple months!

Despite being 6-8, he's played guard and supposedly has enough knee bend to play effectively. If so, our lineup is set.

Preston looks like a good bench warmer on his best day.

patmoran2006
03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
you know with the money we payed him you'd think he'd be our starter but I think he could be more of a situational player
25 Million for situational players..

1st round draft picks for rotational/situational DT's.

That's what medicority is all about.

F that.. for $25 million he better be starting without a doubt. There shouldn't even be a discussion at OBD about who may start..

The way things are looking now he may have to catch a couple of passes and play some cover two as well.

BILLSROCK1212
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM

F that.. for $25 million he better be starting without a doubt. There shouldn't even be a discussion at OBD about who may start..

The way things are looking now he may have to catch a couple of passes and play some cover two as well.
i understand but ppl get crazy contracts to play in big situations

patmoran2006
03-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Dude..

He' starting....... That contract. he better.

If he goes out and sucks big fat donkey **** like every Raider fan in America thinks he will do; then maybe down the line u cut your loss and get him out.. But from day one, he BETTER be the starter with that contract.

BILLSROCK1212
03-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Dude..

He' starting....... That contract. he better.

If he goes out and sucks big fat donkey **** like every Raider fan in America thinks he will do; then maybe down the line u cut your loss and get him out.. But from day one, he BETTER be the starter with that contract.
i agree.....but dude there is a training camp for a reason and he could get beat out there

casdhf
03-19-2007, 03:40 PM
The way I see it, competition makes everyone better. Let the best man win

mysticsoto
03-19-2007, 03:40 PM

So you don't advocate playing the best player? Regardless of how much he's getting paid, if Pennington has progressed to the point that he is a better starter than Walker, then I want him to start at RT and to hell with Walker getting the job simply b'cse he's getting paid more. It will be unfortunate that we paid him that much, but you ALWAYS place the best player at the position!

That being said, I too think that Walker will be moved to the Guard position and may start there - unless Merz unseated him there too. I haven't heard enough of Merz to see if he's been working at improving, but Pennington appears to be working hard to deserve the position - and ultimately, he should be rewarded for it if he has improved...

HHURRICANE
03-19-2007, 03:57 PM
The guy will be our RG. He liked playing their in Oakland. They probably threw out the line up with Whittle and Walker at RT to motivate the rookies. I think it will be:

Peters-Dockery-Fowler-Walker-Pennington.

Saratoga Slim
03-19-2007, 04:08 PM
The guy will be our RG. He liked playing their in Oakland. They probably threw out the line up with Whittle and Walker at RT to motivate the rookies. I think it will be:

With that contract, they brought Walker in to start, that's for sure. They sure sounded pretty high on him, and his contract was no joke. I'm hoping that they don't have the "where" set in stone yet. I'd like to think that Butler or Pennington is the answer at RT, with Walker at RG. From the Raider fan feedback (I've never really watched him play), sounds like he had a tough time at RT last year.

patmoran2006
03-19-2007, 04:11 PM
i agree.....but dude there is a training camp for a reason and he could get beat out there
not saying it will happen.

but if Walker was to get beat out in training camp and not start, then WHOEVER made the decision to sign him and give him $25 million should be fired IMMEDIATELY

justasportsfan
03-19-2007, 04:12 PM
I think it's not set in stone where Walker will play until camp statrs. They reshuffled mid-season so I guess they will figure who goes where at training camp.

Tatonka
03-19-2007, 04:12 PM

chris brown emailed me back when i asked him that question.

he said the bills DEFINATELY see walker as the RT. and Whittle, Butler and Merz will be fighting for RG. He said he thinks Butler will end up winning out.

I asked him specifically what was wrong with Pennington last year, and he said that the bills had to keep someone in to help him (ie the TE or RB) on almost all plays, which made him look better than he was. He said they view pennington as a project still, which is why he was still around in the 6th round.

the line will probably be this, per chris brown:

Peters - Dock - Fowler - Butler - Walker.

patmoran2006
03-19-2007, 04:14 PM

he said the bills DEFINATELY see walker as the RT. and Whittle, Butler and Merz will be fighting for RG. He said he thinks Butler will end up winning out.

I asked him specifically what was wrong with Pennington last year, and he said that the bills had to keep someone in to help him (ie the TE or RB) on almost all plays, which made him look better than he was. He said they view pennington as a project still, which is why he was still around in the 6th round.

Makes perfect sense..

You dont give someone all that money, and then have an "open competition" at RT in year one of his deal.

BILLSROCK1212
03-19-2007, 04:16 PM

I like this best unless Butler proves something in TC......Walker played best at guard in Oakland which is why it wouldnt make sense not to play him at tackle

Tatonka
03-19-2007, 04:17 PM
you guys can keep dreaming.. i would feel better if walker was at guard too, but it is not going to happen.

Night Train
03-19-2007, 04:22 PM

Sign me up for that. :hi5:

patmoran2006
03-19-2007, 04:29 PM
So you don't advocate playing the best player? Regardless of how much he's getting paid, .

No, I advocate a GM and front office that should be held EXTREMELY accountable for paying a guy $25 million dollars and then having him have to come and fight for a starting spot in training camp.

I'm not saying walker won't start or that he'll bust. But if he does, and say Pennington then beat him out. Levy and whomever else advocated signing Walker should be immediately fired for ****ing this team up and setting them back even further.

Walker's money could've went to a solid starting LB, RB, CB pretty much anywhere else. SO he better be starting, he better be worth the money or the GM, even if its God Almighty Marv himself, needs to be held accountable for making horrible FA decisions.

EDS
03-19-2007, 04:37 PM

Ugh. They are going to have to leave someone in to help Walker too. I am still holding out hope that Butler or Pennington can beat Walker out.

John Doe
03-19-2007, 04:37 PM
IMO, Walker will start.

I think that the coaches saw something in him that we didn't. In all the interviews I've seen it looked like they were really high on his abilities.

Has anyone on this board actually broken down a lot of video tape of this guy?

justasportsfan
03-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Has anyone on this board actually broken down a lot of video tape of this guy?
Moran.

patmoran2006
03-19-2007, 04:43 PM
No I havent.. I dont think I ever even paid attention to him.

I only remember watching a couple of Raider games, one in prime time against SD when Merriman and everyone else had a "meet you at the QB party" at the expense of that line.

I dont know **** about Walker other than he's fat and from every account I"ve heard; sucked in a very bad way.. Marv and whomever else in charge saw something in him.. SO its marv's RESPONISIBILITY to be right with Walker.

John Doe
03-19-2007, 04:46 PM
No I havent.. I dont think I ever even paid attention to him.

I only remember watching a couple of Raider games, one in prime time against SD when Merriman and everyone else had a "meet you at the QB party" at the expense of that line.

I dont know **** about Walker other than he's fat and from every account I"ve heard; sucked in a very bad way.. Marv and whomever else in charge saw something in him.. SO its marv's RESPONISIBILITY to be right with Walker.

A simple reply of "No, I have not broken down video tape on this guy so I don't have any firsthand knowledge about his abilities" would have sufficed.

mysticsoto
03-19-2007, 05:01 PM
No, I advocate a GM and front office that should be held EXTREMELY accountable for paying a guy $25 million dollars and then having him have to come and fight for a starting spot in training camp.

I'm not saying walker won't start or that he'll bust. But if he does, and say Pennington then beat him out. Levy and whomever else advocated signing Walker should be immediately fired for ****ing this team up and setting them back even further.

Walker's money could've went to a solid starting LB, RB, CB pretty much anywhere else. SO he better be starting, he better be worth the money or the GM, even if its God Almighty Marv himself, needs to be held accountable for making horrible FA decisions.

The $25 million is for 5 years, so if he's beaten, he's really beaten at $5 mil a year. While that does seem high a little high, it's much less than $25 million makes it sound. That being said, I believe he will play guard...I seem to remember reading something that said he wanted to play guard.

I think he got a $10 million bonus which means if he does turn out to be a bust, that's likely what we'd be out of and not $25 million (which is still alot but, not $25 million). I only bring this up b'cse you keep bringing up the 25 million number. Contracts are never really worth the full amount that they are reported as...

X-Era
03-19-2007, 05:05 PM
People seem to assume it's going to be Walker, but I really think Pennington and maybe even Butler are going to put up a serious fight for the starting position:

From Chris Brown's blog:

PENNINGTON LOOKING FIT: Bills OT Terrance Pennington looked like he's firmed up some since last season. He came in a little soft last year, but looks like he's toned his body up this offseason. He said he's been working hard in the weight room.

Tough to say, maybe either can move to RG. It may be a matter of whos going to be more athletic at RT, its still a tough one to guage.

justasportsfan
03-19-2007, 05:06 PM
A simple reply of "No, I have not broken down video tape on this guy so I don't have any firsthand knowledge about his abilities" would have sufficed.
he'd rather listen to everyone else but someone who actually studied him like....Jauron. I'm not saying Jauron is all that but it seems like in Morans eyes, he blows.

Philagape
03-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Marv & Dick saw something in Tutan Reyes last year too :ill:

HHURRICANE
03-19-2007, 09:15 PM
With that contract, they brought Walker in to start, that's for sure. They sure sounded pretty high on him, and his contract was no joke. I'm hoping that they don't have the "where" set in stone yet. I'd like to think that Butler or Pennington is the answer at RT, with Walker at RG. From the Raider fan feedback (I've never really watched him play), sounds like he had a tough time at RT last year.

I didn't say he wasn't starting. But OBD had already penciled him in at RT. I think they did that that to motivate Pennington and Butler. I think when it's all said and done he's going to be our RG. Whittle signed a crap deal so I really don't see him and Preston fighting it out at RG while having all of this talent at RT.

YardRat
03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
All of the o-line signings gives the coaching staff the most flexibility possible to put the best five guys on the field at the same time, and regardless of contract $'s I don't care who they are.

That's the key...the best unit will start on Sundays.

I would prefer to see Walker-Pennington on the right side, but if the coaches feel Butler-Walker or Merz-Butler mesh the best with the already solidified Peters-Dockery-Fowler, then I'm willing to see how they perform.

Devin
03-19-2007, 09:34 PM

From Chris Brown's blog:

Personally id rather see a youngster there, but with what they are paying Walker unfortunatley i believe he maybe our RT.

Night Train
03-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Marv & Dick saw something in Tutan Reyes last year too :ill:

I'm not sure about that. This team was full of holes (still is somewhat) and the quality in areas of need was not good. Guys like Reyes, Peerless and a few others were basically bodies to fill a roster, IMO.

With younger players emerging and better options available, these stiffs are being moved out. That's why I see a short shelf life for Peerless, Anderson and a few others.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Anyone see anything about the Bills tendering Preston? He's an exclusive rights free agent, but I haven't read a thing about the Bills making any effort to sign him yet. Unless someone has seen something about this that I haven't, I would think that the silence about him from OBD would speak volumes about his future with the team. As it is, despite what some analysts have written, I think that he could be the "odd man out" this season unless he comes in and shows a lot more than he has so far.

As I see it, Walker will start. The only question is where.

If what C.Brown said is true, the Bills probably are looking at Walker as their RT. And, that would make sense unless Pennington steps up his game big-time and shows that he doesn't need a lot of help the way he did last season. Fairchild is looking to open up the playbook more this season and he can't do that if the TEs and RBs have to stay in to help on just about every passing play.

Pennington will have to take a big step up to show the coaching staff that he can do the job the way that they need to have it done this season. Maybe he can and maybe he can't do that. It's Walker's job at this point, so Pennington will have to at least match what Walker can do in order to convince the coaches that they should move Walker. But, if Pennington can do that--and the odds are pretty steep against him, if C.Brown is to be believed--that would give the Bills a lot of flexibility to address their RG position.

I do not believe that the Bills would have signed Whittle or an OT like Walker who has had some success playing RG if they believed that Preston was going to be the answer for them at RG. Preston is the most experienced of the Bills' young offensive linemen: he played significant minutes as a rookie (got some starts then, too, as I recall) and started 9 games last season. The current coaching staff has had a chance to see him play and, with Merz and Butler both developing at OG behind him, you have to wonder why the Bills would bring in Whittle if they were all that happy with Preston. Yes, Whittle gives them veteran depth at every position, but I have to believe that, with all of the other young O-linemen that they have developing, they have to have some questions about Preston. IMHO, this is going to be a make-or-break preseason for Preston: with Walker and Whittle, Pennington, Butler and Merz, if Preston doesn't step up his game at least as much as Butler and Pennington do, he could be out of a job by the end of the preseason.

If Pennington or Butler make a big step forward this offseason, the Bills now have the option of playing one of them at RT and moving Walker in to RG. Whittle has played center, so Preston's value as a backup there is lessened.

I can see the Bills going into their OTAs and training camp with the idea that Walker will start at RT as C.Brown reports. But, I can also see them looking very closely at the progress that Pennington, Butler and Preston have made, knowing that, if Pennington or Butler are able to match Walker, they can move Walker inside if Preston doesn't step up his game.

I don't know how well Walker would take to being moved around, though. According to the articles that I read about him, when I "googled" him when the Bills signed him, Walker was not happy when the Raiders initially moved him to RG and, then, was quite upset when they moved him from RG to RT. It is possible that he is the kind of guy who wants to go into the preseason knowing what his role is going to be so that he can prepare himself to play a particular position and does not adjust well to being asked to move around once he has begun to get into that preparation (some guys are like that). If that is the case, I don't know how well he would react to being moved around by the Bills...I suspect not any better than he did when the Raiders moved him around. So, a lot would depend on what the Bills told him when they signed him. Either way, though, I see him being in the starting lineup for the Bills this season and probably beyond.

Don't Panic
03-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Walker will be starting... that much is for sure. Whehther or not he is at RG or RT is open to competition. I like our situation on the right side, because I see one of Butler or Pennigton stepping up and taking a starting spot. I think we'll be fine there.

Michael82
03-20-2007, 01:45 PM
What will happen is Pennington will impress the coaches at RT during practice and in training camp. They will notice that the current RG is struggling, so they will mix things up around week 6 or 7 and put Walker at RG and he will flourish. Pennington will then be the new starting RT.

Ed
03-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't have a problem with Walker starting at RT if Marv, McNally and the rest really liked what they saw in him. I think it's a little different then the Tutan Reyes situation and some of our other signings last year. Walker was clearly a guy they wanted and made signing him a top priority. So I think it's a pretty safe bet he'll be our starting RT come opening day. I would imagine they'll want as much continuity and reps for are starting 5 so I wouldn't expect too much competition.

I think RG will be the only position where there is a true open competition and my guess is that Butler wins the job. I don't like the idea of Whittle being the starter. I like his experience and versatility, but he strikes me as much more of a career back-up type, and not someone who's going to make our line better and be able to grow with it.

Btw, who is our back-up LT if god forbid something should happen to Jason Peters? The thought of Peters going down scares me, maybe more then any other player.

justasportsfan
03-20-2007, 03:22 PM
What will happen is Pennington will impress the coaches at RT during practice and in training camp. They will notice that the current RG is struggling, so they will mix things up around week 6 or 7 and put Walker at RG and he will flourish. Pennington will then be the new starting RT.
by week 6 or 7? hell no! I'll be the one to give Mouse the rat poison if that happens.

They've already had 1 year to see what they inherited . They better start figuring things out at camp and know who goes where when season starts.

mysticsoto
03-20-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't have a problem with Walker starting at RT if Marv, McNally and the rest really liked what they saw in him. I think it's a little different then the Tutan Reyes situation and some of our other signings last year. Walker was clearly a guy they wanted and made signing him a top priority. So I think it's a pretty safe bet he'll be our starting RT come opening day. I would imagine they'll want as much continuity and reps for are starting 5 so I wouldn't expect too much competition.

I think RG will be the only position where there is a true open competition and my guess is that Butler wins the job. I don't like the idea of Whittle being the starter. I like his experience and versatility, but he strikes me as much more of a career back-up type, and not someone who's going to make our line better and be able to grow with it.

Btw, who is our back-up LT if god forbid something should happen to Jason Peters? The thought of Peters going down scares me, maybe more then any other player.

Alot of people keep mentioning Butler to play Guard. I think Butler is still targeting RT. He is only 292 lbs which is a little light for Guard - and considering you are facing a DT vs a smaller DE, the weight does make a difference. Merz might be better suited at 340 lbs - unless he moves like Jerman...in which case, I say dump him now and get it over with. I haven't seen enough of Merz to know where to categorize him. Walker is 345 lbs which is why many people can see moving him to RG. Pennington is 319 lbs and supposedly alot more fit than he was last year - which is why I think he might just win the RT position moving Walker to the inside.

I still think that is a very good line: Peters, Dockery, Fowler, Walker, Pennington

Then all we have to do is grab a franchise Center next year, perhaps in our 2nd rd pick (or use our extra 3rd rd pick to move up) and our Oline should be set for years...

alohabillsfan
03-20-2007, 03:50 PM
IMHO...

Peters Dockery Fowler Butler Walker

or

Peters Dockery Fowler Walker Pennington

or

Peters Dockery Fowler Walker Butler

All I know is we have (on paper) the best and deepest O-line we have had in some time and for the first time in a long time thought of having to address the O-line with rookies from the draft!

What ever the line up get it set early and put the best 5 out there!

Ed
03-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Alot of people keep mentioning Butler to play Guard. I think Butler is still targeting RT. He is only 292 lbs which is a little light for Guard - and considering you are facing a DT vs a smaller DE, the weight does make a difference. Merz might be better suited at 340 lbs - unless he moves like Jerman...in which case, I say dump him now and get it over with. I haven't seen enough of Merz to know where to categorize him. Walker is 345 lbs which is why many people can see moving him to RG. Pennington is 319 lbs and supposedly alot more fit than he was last year - which is why I think he might just win the RT position moving Walker to the inside.

I still think that is a very good line: Peters, Dockery, Fowler, Walker, Pennington

Then all we have to do is grab a franchise Center next year, perhaps in our 2nd rd pick (or use our extra 3rd rd pick to move up) and our Oline should be set for years...
I think Butler will get reps at both Tackle and Guard. I see him winning the RG spot just because it was mentioned on the Bills website that McNally wants to try him at RG. I think Butler is the best prospect of the young guys we have and would be the most polished pass blocker. From what I remember reading, the Bills seemed high on Butler he was just held back last year because of shoulder injuries.

Talk0fNewYork
03-20-2007, 08:17 PM
We'll see what they can do in preseason, and go from there.