PDA

View Full Version : John Vanbiesbrouck Steps Down After Uttering Racial Slur

Don Cherry
03-10-2003, 01:39 AM
Folks, this is just plain moronic. Why anyone would even think of using racial slurs these days, is beyond, even my mind.

From ESPN.com:

Vanbiesbrouck steps down after admitting using slur

John Vanbiesbrouck has stepped down from his dual role as coach and general manager of the Ontario Hockey League's Soo Greyhounds after admitting using the "N-word" in reference to one of his players Sunday night.

Vanbiesbrouck, a former standout goaltender with the New York Rangers, Florida Panthers and Philadelphia Flyers, used a derogatory racial slur to describe team captain Trevor Daley.

Sources told TSN that Vanbiesbrouck held individual meetings with a number of Greyhound players after a loss on Friday night. The meetings were apparently in the billet homes of the players. It was during some of those conversations that Vanbiesbrouck is alleged to have used the derogatory racial slur to describe Daley, a 2002 second-round draft pick of the Dallas Stars.

"I did use the N-word. That is the truth," Vanbiesbrouck told MCTV of Canada on Sunday. "I used it in the heat of the moment. I don't know where it came from. It was wrong. I'm the first one to admit it."

Full story (http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0309/1520971.html).

Sounds like the Beezer, took diplomacy, and tact lessons, from John Rocker.

Sabre Ally
03-11-2003, 12:52 AM
:shakeno:

WereRat
03-11-2003, 12:55 AM
I think he's a step above Rocker though. He admitted saying it right off and stepped down under what appears to be his own choice.

Ð
03-11-2003, 05:54 AM
It'll be interesting what Cliff Branch, OHL commish does in terms of disciplinary action. Vanbiesbrouck has a large ownership stake in the club.

If there's on thing I can't stand, it's racial/cultural intolerance.
And the Dutch!
I tell you, those Dutch with their wooden shoes, windmills and all ;)

LtBillsFan66
03-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Now that we are all coming clean, I have used every single racial epithet at least 100 times each in my lifetime.