PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Bills FA RB Notes...

Ickybaluky
03-20-2007, 08:00 AM
From the Green Bay Press Gazette (http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070320/PKR01/703200472/1989).

First, the agent for Keith Barlow says the Bills are among the teams to have contacted him:

Hend-rickson said Buffalo, Tennessee and Indian-apolis also have inquired about Barlow, 28.

Of course, it could just be the agent trying to drum up interest in his client by naming the teams that are RB-needy.

Later on, there is this note:

It is believed Buffalo and Detroit were close to a deal with former Tennessee Titans back Chris Brown but backed off when the price got too high. The Packers have been in contact with Brown's agent, Wynn Silberman, who did not return a message Monday afternoon.

They mention Tony Fisher, who seems like a good, cheap option as a backup RB if his knee is sound. He catches the ball well, and would be a good fit in Fairchild's offense, IMO (although teams are probably waiting for him to heal, so he probably won't sign until camp).

Tony Fisher would be interested in returning to the Packers, agent Bradley Blank said Monday, but the team with which Fisher started his NFL career hasn't dialed his number.

"I was looking at some stuff the other day, and I was thinking, 'Why haven't they called?'" Blank said. "It seems like a great fit."

Fisher, 27, is looking for a new home after his first year with the St. Louis Rams ended at midseason because of a knee injury. The Rams and Oakland Raiders have expressed interest in him, Blank said, but are waiting until next month to work him out, when Fisher expects to have full cutting ability.

Fisher rushed for 880 yards and caught 125 passes in four seasons with the Packers after signing as an undrafted free agent out of Notre Dame. But he had just 9 yards on six carries and 14 receptions in eight games with the Rams before tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee on a kick return Nov. 5. His recovery is on schedule, Blank said.

Finally, a Corey Dillon note:

Nor have the Packers contacted Corey Dillon, the 32-year-old former Cincinnati and New England back.

"He knows the days of carrying the ball 20 times a game, 25 times a game are gone," said Dillon's agent, Steven Feldman. "But he'd like to carry it 10, 12, 15 times."

Feldman said Dillon is keeping his options open, but wants to join a team "on the verge of the playoffs."

I think Dillon ends up retiring.

Earthquake Enyart
03-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Suddenly, it's a buyers market for those three. If they want to play it's gonna be on the cheap.

THATHURMANATOR
03-20-2007, 08:04 AM
No thanks on Barlow. Not big on any of these three.

clumping platelets
03-20-2007, 08:07 AM
I like Barlow if he comes cheap. Why not vets minimum?

Jan Reimers
03-20-2007, 08:12 AM
I think I'm in favor of drafting a feature back, instead of signing another retread. We already have A-Train, Williams and Jackson as backups.

THATHURMANATOR
03-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Agreed Jan.

patmoran2006
03-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Exactly..

clumping platelets
03-20-2007, 08:14 AM
:mad:

McBFLO
03-20-2007, 08:22 AM
My solution (no matter how unrealistic it is):
1) Cut Shaud right now- he never should've been re-signed.
2) Sign Dillon to a 1-year contract at the vet minimum.
3) Draft a feature back.
4) Go with a RB-by-committee approach for this year only.

If we did this, we'd have 2, if not 3 (from the draft) big, power, bruising backs that will wear down defenses that will enable us to play a ball control offense with one helluva downfield weapon in Evans.

5) Let Dillon walk after the season's over and then continue with our drafted RB from 2007 and A-Train as a nice, hard-running backup.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2007, 08:32 AM
My solution (no matter how unrealistic it is):
1) Cut Shaud right now- he never should've been re-signed.
2) Sign Dillon to a 1-year contract at the vet minimum.
3) Draft a feature back.
4) Go with a RB-by-committee approach for this year only.

If we did this, we'd have 2, if not 3 (from the draft) big, power, bruising backs that will wear down defenses that will enable us to play a ball control offense with one helluva downfield weapon in Evans.

5) Let Dillon walk after the season's over and then continue with our drafted RB from 2007 and A-Train as a nice, hard-running backup.

I actually like this alot. Dillion wouldn't sign a vet minimum but something close. Plus we would get Bellichek's listening devices in the deal.

Dr. Lecter
03-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Why cut Shaud now? It frees no cap space. He is fine as a #3 RB. #3 RB is such a harmless, meaningless job I see no problem with Shaud.

Talk0fNewYork
03-20-2007, 08:41 AM
We aint cutting Shaud, you don't resign a guy to a 2 year deal and cut him a month after.

bigbub2352
03-20-2007, 08:44 AM
No way do we sign Dillion, old and he is a jerk, plus he doesnt want to be here, Shaud is a joke and shouldnt have been resigned, but Barlow would be a nice one two punch with A-TRain, both big backs and Barlow is solid in the red zone, but we gotta take a RB on day one, maybe Bush if they sign Barlow, then we got a real power backfeild

EDS
03-20-2007, 08:55 AM
An A-Train Barlow backfield would be the least dynamic running game in the NFL. If the Bills are going to pair A-Train with anyone it has to be someone who can make some game breaking plays.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-20-2007, 08:57 AM
There WILL BE other veteran backs available after the draft.....There is no need to panic at this point.

I really don't see Marv drafting a RB in the first two rounds. We have bigger areas of need, and I think he has something in the works for a back we might not be thinking of yet.

BILLSROCK1212
03-20-2007, 09:18 AM
I hate Barlow he would do nothing make us a better rushing team....if we sign him and we decide not to pursue any more RBs Fred Jackson better be that diamond in the rough some of us were hoping for otherwise we're screwed.

At running back for the Buffalo Bills number 82.....Josh Reeeeeed!!!!

camelcowboy
03-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Terrance Mcgee :up: