PDA

View Full Version : This message sent by Mike Tomlin should be sent by all NFL coaches

BILLSROCK1212
03-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Steelers | Tomlin stresses importance of offseason workout program
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:41:11 -0700

ESPN.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin discussed the importance of participating in the team's offseason conditioning program to his players, stressing the significance of working out with the team, rather than at home or elsewhere. According to WR Cedrick Wilson, the head coach said "You can go train in Orlando or you can go train in Arizona where it's a nice climate, whatever, but you can't get out of those places what you can get here and that's football." Roughly 85 percent of the team reported for the conditioning program, including QB Ben Roethlisberger.

I applaud Mike Tomlin for being one of the very first coaches to try and solve this problem with many players in the NFL....sooner or later if I were the coach of an NFL team I would start fining players for working out somewhere other than the team's training facilities.

gil
03-20-2007, 10:45 AM
umm, how has he done anything to "solve" this?

every year coaches stress how important it is to have guys participate in the "voluntary" OTA's

Saratoga Slim
03-20-2007, 10:50 AM
It's absolutely amazing to me that for the amount of money these guys get, they can't be required to participate in the off-season workouts.

dolphan117
03-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Honestly I dont have that big of a problem with players who chose to work out on their own............... As long as they actully do it.

Quite a few players who graduated from Miami U go and train there over the offseason because they get to hang out with former team-mates and now NFL stars.... But aparently the workouts are pretty intense. As long as a player does that kind of thing and reports to TC at weight and in shape ready to play I have no problem with it. Its the one who dont come to the "volintary" workouts, do nothing all offseason, and then report to camp overwight and out of shape that are the problem.

Mr. Pink
03-20-2007, 12:05 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again....

Voluntary means if you want to.

If you don't want to do something and it's voluntary, are you going to do it?
Probably not.

ddaryl
03-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Honestly I dont have that big of a problem with players who chose to work out on their own............... As long as they actully do it.

Quite a few players who graduated from Miami U go and train there over the offseason because they get to hang out with former team-mates and now NFL stars.... But aparently the workouts are pretty intense. As long as a player does that kind of thing and reports to TC at weight and in shape ready to play I have no problem with it. Its the one who dont come to the "volintary" workouts, do nothing all offseason, and then report to camp overwight and out of shape that are the problem.

Yes we know and Willis McGahee is the perfect example on why not showing up is bad.

You need to be there working out talking football and discussing the playbook with your teammates and coaches as early and as often as possible.

Willis Mcgahee __cked us so bad by never showing up for voluntaries or showing up for a couple of days only. He might have trained his but off, but it did nothing to improve im as a football player. now he's baltimorews headache.

I will never show ANY RESPECT for ANY PLAYER who does not show up to at least 80% of the voluntaries. That is the Willis Mcgahee factor.

YardRat
03-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Marv addresses it by shipping their ass out the door, and I like it.

Let's see if Tomlin's balls are as big as Levy's, and he backs up his words with a little bite.

Statman
03-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Marv addresses it by shipping their ass out the door, and I like it.

Let's see if Tomlin's balls are as big as Levy's, and he backs up his words with a little bite.
So then if you didn't want to play for the team anymore, just don't show up to the OTAs and Marv will "ship ya out?"

Kind of a neat option for players that wouldn't want to play here.

YardRat
03-25-2007, 09:45 AM
So then if you didn't want to play for the team anymore, just don't show up to the OTAs and Marv will "ship ya out?"

Kind of a neat option for players that wouldn't want to play here.

It does help un-muddle things a bit. If you don't want to be here, I don't want you here in the first place.

Get your ass in town and work with the rest of the team if you want to play in Buffalo, or don't show up and expect to be sent packing...Works for me either way.

Talent-level aside, and considering attitude only, I'll take a team full of JP Losman's over a bunch of Willis McGahee's any day.