• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • !Papacrunk!
    • Mar 2004

"Big men plus big money equals big mistakes"

This isn't strictly about Dockery, but here's some interesting tidbits:
    Dockery's seven-year, $49 million deal was the most lucrative in Bills history. That must make Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas feel great. And imagine how the few really good Buffalo players will respond when their contracts come up for renewal.
    What we're seeing is the result of too many clubs' having lots of cap room in a market with limited marquee attractions while also facing ever-increasing pressure to do something -- anything -- to show fans they are trying to improve.
    It would make more sense to simply pass on overpaying. But if you are running a franchise that languished last season, it's difficult to sit and do nothing. That sends a bad message to your fan base, particularly with each year producing stories of teams vaulting from bad to Super Bowl-worthy -- sometimes with just a few roster additions.
    Patient rebuilding? Forget it. NFL clubs understand there now is one overriding reality in the personnel business: The paying customer might show some initial angst over such out-of-proportion contracts, but ultimately, if they result in more wins, all is forgiven. This gives teams free rein to set aside good judgment and chew up with gusto all that extra cap room.
    So if you are Marv Levy, who makes the Bills' personnel decisions, you look at an offense that has finished no better than 25th in total yards the past four years and figure if you can strengthen your line, it might give you a chance to move up in those rankings quickly. That lure can lead you to sign the likes of Walker, who was part of the NFL's worst line last year as a Raider. One scout called him "simply awful" at times. Yet Buffalo gave him $10 million in guaranteed money.
    I'm posting this, not because I'm trying to bring about something that seems "anti-Bills" (other teams/players are mentioned) but Attner brings up some very good points in the article that makes it worth the read.
    ::EDIT:: I forgot the link----Big Men/Big Money
  • BILLSROCK1212
    !?!?!?!?!?
    • Mar 2006

Re: "Big men plus big money equals big mistakes"

his article is 100% right he just doesn't seem to get the whole situation......what you think Donte, Ko, Angelo, Lee and JP are gonna ask for with their new contracts? we better start resigning them now

Comment

• venis2k1
      Youboty can hope
      • Jul 2002

Evans is the only one that we really need to worry about having a huge pay day...

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

If Kelly and Thomas were playing now they would be getting the same kind of cash.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by gr8slayer
          If Kelly and Thomas were playing now they would be getting the same kind of cash.
          It does go back to how it may affect the future of the other guys on the roster though: if a o-lineman is getting this kind of money, I'm the starting QB, WR, RB, etc, where's my HUGER payday

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by !Papacrunk!
            It does go back to how it may affect the future of the other guys on the roster though: if a o-lineman is getting this kind of money, I'm the starting QB, WR, RB, etc, where's my HUGER payday
            I get your point but thankfully the only person on our roster that deserves anything at this point is Evans. Everyone else is expendable at this point in time.

Comment

• B-DON
              hi
              • Mar 2004

What a terrible read. You cant compare contracts from ten years ago and today. Thats like comparing the price of real estate of yesteryears with those of today. Of course anything you but or purchase is going to be more expensive today then ten years ago. So should Jordan be made cuz he is the greatest athlete of all time and he doesnt have the biggest athletic contract ever. Again, terrible article.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by B-DON
                What a terrible read. You cant compare contracts from ten years ago and today. Thats like comparing the price of real estate of yesteryears with those of today. Of course anything you but or purchase is going to be more expensive today then ten years ago. So should Jordan be made cuz he is the greatest athlete of all time and he doesnt have the biggest athletic contract ever. Again, terrible article.
                Of course comparing current to past contracts is silly--the key word is lucrative, his point is that an o-lineman that has yet to do anything for the Bills, and has really yet to do anything major in the NFL other than being a starter is getting paid a lucrative contract.

Comment

• Devin
                  The Octagon
                  • Apr 2003

Whats the alternative?

Not paying Dockery and in the process not upgrading our OL? Damned if you do damned if you dont.

Even signing big names has people like Ice Jr. pissing and moaning that we didnt do more.
                  http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Devin
                    Whats the alternative?

Not paying Dockery and in the process not upgrading our OL? Damned if you do damned if you dont.

Even signing big names has people like Ice Jr. pissing and moaning that we didnt do more.
                    Not paying them isn't the issue, it's the fact that they spent that much on them. I've heard that the higher cap has made it ok, and that other people are doing it, but it seemed like a bad chain of events that led to this much overspending--creating a ugly market for the future.

Comment

• Devin
                      The Octagon
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by !Papacrunk!
                      Not paying them isn't the issue, it's the fact that they spent that much on them. I've heard that the higher cap has made it ok, and that other people are doing it, but it seemed like a bad chain of events that led to this much overspending--creating a ugly market for the future.
                      I dont disagree with that. Unfortunatley the NFL is only going to get worse as far as salaries go.

The market has unfortunatley changed. Personally i dont think any of the 3 OG's (Steinbach, Dockery or Dielman) are worth what they got.....but when in rome......
                      http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Find one bad thing written about Dockery. You can't. The guy was solid and was not an underachiever in Washington. They worked til the 11th hour trying to re-sign him.

$49 million for 7 years (of which only 18.5 million is guaranteed) to solidify the LG position that has been a constant issue for years. There are plenty of teams that would have liked to have had him including the Dolphins.

We have one signing that arguably can and will be questioned and that is Langston Walker. Dockery was a great pickup and when our left side dominates this year we'll see if the writer crawls out from under his rock.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

He lost all credibility with me by labeling the Clements signing 'rational'.

Let's not overlook the influence of the Snyders, Jones, and Krafts of the league's influence on overspending for marginal players, or Minnesota for that matter throwing the key to the vault at Hutchinson last year.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                            • Jan 2003

Today, you PAY offensive linemen. Many have known for years that a good line is the key to a good team, both defensively and offensively. Marv has known this and only in the last few years have salaries for linemen, especially offensive linemen grown exponentially.

I would rather overpay for a good offensive lineman who can make loads of difference than overpay for a corner who doesn't make much of one.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                              Today, you PAY offensive linemen. Many have known for years that a good line is the key to a good team, both defensively and offensively. Marv has known this and only in the last few years have salaries for linemen, especially offensive linemen grown exponentially.

I would rather overpay for a good offensive lineman who can make loads of difference than overpay for a corner who doesn't make much of one.
                              Dude, dude, that was hot. Sorry, my kids just got done watching American idol.

Anyway, great post and I totally agree!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X