PDA

View Full Version : Chargers asking price.....a high 2nd

BILLSROCK1212
03-20-2007, 10:55 PM
NFL grapevine

Today
Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 10:11 PM ET | Link
NFL GRAPEVINE PRICE FOR TURNER: In talking to some people around the league I'm hearing that Chargers RFA RB Michael Turner could be had for a high second round pick. That obviously limits the number of teams that could make a play for Turner to those at or near the top of the second round this year, if that is the true asking price. I suppose if a team that wasn't at the top of the second round was desperate enough they could offer a first.

It wouldn't surprise me if teams that are interested try to wait it out though. San Diego GM A.J. Smith would obviously love to get value this year for a player that will likely be out the door for nothing next year. The longer he waits the less he will likely get in return for Turner. Of course if just one team can't land the RB they want in the draft he could get lucky and name his price.

While some teams might like the talent that Turner brings, there is the other deterrent of signing him to a lucrative long term deal.

I don't know if I'd give up a first for him, but I'd have to strongly consider giving up a 2nd if that's indeed all it would take. Again it's just rumblings I'm hearing. Nothing definitive.

We'll have to see if Turner talk heats up around the league. Stay tuned.

The chances we are taking with him are smaller than the ones we would take on a rookie RB....therefore I say trade for him and with our two 3rd rounders trade up in the draft or maybe use those 2 third rounders or a package a couple later round picks for Turner? just ideas...thought i'd post it

kgun12
03-20-2007, 11:06 PM
If the asking price is a high 2nd, then he can be had for one of our 3rd's. The asking price is always more than the actual selling price! A 3rd this year is better than nothing next year! Go get him Marv!!!

acehole
03-20-2007, 11:09 PM
I knew the price would go down....They are lucky to now get a third.

It does open up some opitions in the first round for us. Thing is the contract. Would Turner go for an incentive ladend deal...with average upfront money.....because thats what the bills have in mind.

NFL grapevine

Today
NFL GRAPEVINE PRICE FOR TURNER: In talking to some people around the league I'm hearing that Chargers RFA RB Michael Turner could be had for a high second round pick. That obviously limits the number of teams that could make a play for Turner to those at or near the top of the second round this year, if that is the true asking price. I suppose if a team that wasn't at the top of the second round was desperate enough they could offer a first.

It wouldn't surprise me if teams that are interested try to wait it out though. San Diego GM A.J. Smith would obviously love to get value this year for a player that will likely be out the door for nothing next year. The longer he waits the less he will likely get in return for Turner. Of course if just one team can't land the RB they want in the draft he could get lucky and name his price.

While some teams might like the talent that Turner brings, there is the other deterrent of signing him to a lucrative long term deal.

I don't know if I'd give up a first for him, but I'd have to strongly consider giving up a 2nd if that's indeed all it would take. Again it's just rumblings I'm hearing. Nothing definitive.

The chances we are taking with him are smaller than the ones we would take on a rookie RB....therefore I say trade for him and with our two 3rd rounders trade up in the draft or maybe use those 2 third rounders or a package a couple later round picks for Turner? just ideas...thought i'd post it

acehole
03-20-2007, 11:10 PM
NFL grapevine

Today

jamesiscool
03-20-2007, 11:14 PM
id give em a 3rd and a fourth. or both of the baltimore 3rd rounders we got. then we're set.

The Spaz
03-20-2007, 11:17 PM
I would give them both of baltimore's third's if anything.

camelcowboy
03-20-2007, 11:25 PM

Wow, but their Gm said it would have to be a 1st and 3rd minimum. I was told that me posting a thread about trading for Turner was spam. :rolleyes:

clumping platelets
03-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Our 4th in 07 and a conditional pick in 08

camelcowboy
03-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Our 4th in 07 and a conditional pick in 08

Probally our low 3rd and a conditional for 08

camelcowboy
03-20-2007, 11:35 PM
We could then draft booker as a nice scat back, or maybe leonard at full. that would be sweet.

Ebenezer
03-20-2007, 11:46 PM
I'd give them all three picks we got from Baltimore.

SABURZFAN
03-20-2007, 11:47 PM
i'd switch 2nd rounders(if they have one) and give them another draft pick but they wouldn't be getting a straight up 2nd rounder.

clumping platelets
03-21-2007, 01:49 AM
I'd give them all three picks we got from Baltimore.

:no:

Don't Panic
03-21-2007, 04:28 AM
Wow, but their Gm said it would have to be a 1st and 3rd minimum. I was told that me posting a thread about trading for Turner was spam. :rolleyes:

Exactly... where are those people now? I even remember someone had a sig that we were blowing hot air. Enjoy the crow...

kgun12
03-21-2007, 04:28 AM
:no:

I agree! Our 3rd or Baltimore's 3rd. If it was my choice Baltimores 3rd.

Night Train
03-21-2007, 04:33 AM
Aside from the trade compensation, his agent will be crying for a new big contract.

Not impossible but all the factors must be considered.

Yasgur's Farm
03-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Aside from the trade compensation, his agent will be crying for a new big contract.

Not impossible but all the factors must be considered.All the more reason to get him with lower picks.

Don't Panic
03-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Compare Turner to anyone else we could get in the 2nd round. Not one of these guys could come in and do what he can do for us. He'd want a new deal, but it couldn't be that out of control (or could it?). I'd love to see Leonard here but I'd be pretty hard pressed not to do this deal. Turner has already proven it (although behind a very solid line). He and A-Train would be a bruising 1-2 punch. This would allow us to go strictly defensive BPA with our #12 and still address pressing needs with our two 3rds. If it could be done for a 3rd its a no-brainer, but I'd think long and hard about a 2nd if that's what they wanted.

Night Train
03-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Compare Turner to anyone else we could get in the 2nd round. Not one of these guys could come in and do what he can do for us. He'd want a new deal, but it couldn't be that out of control (or could it?). I'd love to see Leonard here but I'd be pretty hard pressed not to do this deal. Turner has already proven it (although behind a very solid line). He and A-Train would be a bruising 1-2 punch. This would allow us to go strictly defensive BPA with our #12 and still address pressing needs with our two 3rds. If it could be done for a 3rd its a no-brainer, but I'd think long and hard about a 2nd if that's what they wanted.

Good post.

They can haggle but if it came down to a 2nd round pick this year, so be it. The Bills are not holding the cards in this poker game. We have the huge void at RB, not SD. Plus the Bills would want to talk $$ with him, to find out if it's realistic. This guy just turned 25, is built like a fast moving tank and seems to have far more talent than most RB's in this draft (if not all). Just my opinion.

A.J. Smith needs to get something back in return, to show the fans that SD received a high pick for someone they would have lost for nothing next year. It's all part of the PR game.

Solving a crying need and still having three 1st day picks is hardly a bad deal for the Bills. How the hell we got two 3rd round picks for McGahee is still amazing to me, so we now have options. Then we could move on to solving our holes on D, as the poster stated above.

It's up to the Bills to make the call. SD would initially turn down the offer, then feel the pressure to consider it strongly as the Draft approached. They have holes on D to fill and would want an extra 2nd rounder to help solve this.

It's a fun time of year, isn't it ?

ddaryl
03-21-2007, 07:36 AM
translating the high 2nd rd = we'll take a 3rd round

Don't Panic
03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
How the hell we got two 3rd round picks for McGahee is still amazing to me

You should hear them down here... they think they got the 2nd coming of Walter Payton. I've had a lot of chuckles these past couple of weeks.

eyedog
03-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Let me get this straight. We would have to give up probably one of the 3rd's and then pay the guy 1st rd. money. No deal. I'd rather take a runnner early in the draft.

RedEyE
03-21-2007, 07:52 AM
I'd easily give up a 3rd and a conditional for this guy. Granted he's not a full time joe, but he averaged about 6.5 yards a carry last season on 80 attempts.

Earthquake Enyart
03-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Pass. He's too slight to be an every down back.

Dr. Lecter
03-21-2007, 07:54 AM
The money he is asking for is too much. I would rather have Lynch, Peterson, etc.

HHURRICANE
03-21-2007, 07:57 AM

Yeah, whoever called you out on that is a total butt-hole.:couch:

HHURRICANE
03-21-2007, 08:00 AM

However it is Chris Brown and not Adam Shefter so maybe I should wait to call myself out.

JoeMama
03-21-2007, 08:07 AM
The money he is asking for is too much. I would rather have Lynch, Peterson, etc.

I agree.

Michael Turner is hard to assess because (a) he runs behind one of the best offensive lines in the NFL and (b) he spells the best running back in the NFL - which almost certainly softens the defense for him.

Plus, I don't like the idea of giving up a day one pick for a guy who wants big money next season. If he's a bust, he'll become a free agent and we'll release him. If he's good, we may not be able to afford him.

Seems like a risk to sacrifice a draft pick to acquire him. Especially with so many good backs available this year.

I'd be happier with Peterson or Lynch.

Talk0fNewYork
03-21-2007, 08:08 AM
**** It, I'd give them a second.

Talk0fNewYork
03-21-2007, 08:13 AM
If we gave up a second

1. DT Okoye
3a. OLB Quincy Black
3b. CB Eric Wright

HHURRICANE
03-21-2007, 08:25 AM
I agree.

Michael Turner is hard to assess because (a) he runs behind one of the best offensive lines in the NFL and (b) he spells the best running back in the NFL - which almost certainly softens the defense for him.

Plus, I don't like the idea of giving up a day one pick for a guy who wants big money next season. If he's a bust, he'll become a free agent and we'll release him. If he's good, we may not be able to afford him.

Seems like a risk to sacrifice a draft pick to acquire him. Especially with so many good backs available this year.

I'd be happier with Peterson or Lynch.

My list of backups that have failed as starters is 10X bigger than those who have suceeded. The Raiders found out that filling in for Curtis Martin makes you look alot better than you are. I can go on and on and on....

JoeMama
03-21-2007, 08:36 AM
My list of backups that have failed as starters is 10X bigger than those who have suceeded. The Raiders found out that filling in for Curtis Martin makes you look alot better than you are. I can go on and on and on....

True.

The only backups turned all-pro that I can think of are Priest Holmes, Ahman Green, and Tiki Barber.

Maybe Jamal Anderson too.

Can't think of too many others off the top of my head.

ParanoidAndroid
03-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Turner has not proven he can carry the load. He looked good as a back-up to LT, but will the results be the same in Buffalo? A question like that makes offering multiple picks seem foolish, much like Baltomore may have been foolish to give us 3 picks for McGahee, who has proven he can carry the load... when he wants to.

patmoran2006
03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
what is he asking for? I havent really heard anything about him financially?

Don't Panic
03-21-2007, 09:53 AM

Exactly how much is he asking for? Was there any rumor as to what kind of deal they would want? I'd pay him Lagston Walker money, that's for sure. Especially if the bonus was reasonable and we didn't guarantee anything after the 2nd year. 6.5 ypc, folks. How many backups turned regulars have posted numbers like that before they became regulars? Take a look at Holmes in 1999:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=1306

Looks like a pretty close match to me. He's averaged 6.0 ypc for his career on 157 carries. Make every excuse you want, those are good numbers. 20 carries for him and 10 for A-Train would solve any concerns we had about our running game.... something you can't necessarily say about any rookie not named Lynch or Peterson.

Devin
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
**** It, I'd give them a second.

As would I.

gr8slayer
03-21-2007, 10:17 AM
I'd take him over Bush for a second rounder.

Night Train
03-21-2007, 10:41 AM

You're right. He's only weighs 237 lbs., in a league full of 270 lb. RB's.

gr8slayer
03-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah cause two back systems don't work in today's NFL right?

The Spaz
03-21-2007, 10:52 AM
You're right. He's only weighs 237 lbs., in a league full of 270 lb. RB's.

Nice!:rofl:

camelcowboy
03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
However it is Chris Brown and not Adam Shefter so maybe I should wait to call myself out.

Are you doubting Chris Brown's vine line ? lol

Ickybaluky
03-21-2007, 12:37 PM
True.

The only backups turned all-pro that I can think of are Priest Holmes, Ahman Green, and Tiki Barber.

Maybe Jamal Anderson too.

Can't think of too many others off the top of my head.

A ton of guys started as backups before becoming lead backs:

- Stephen Jackson backed up Marshall Faulk as a rookie
- Larry Johnson started out by backing up Preist Holmes
- Frank Gore started by backing up Kevan Barlow.
- Willie Parker started as a backup for Jerome Bettis.
- Rudi Johnson started as a backup to Corey Dillon.

All those guys are real good players.

Turner would be a steal for you guys for a 2nd, or any team for that matter.

Ickybaluky
03-21-2007, 03:33 PM
This article (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10072169) doesn't make it sound like Turner is available for less than the #1 and #3 the tender requires:

So if you're an NFL shopper, why not beat the rush? Why not take a chance on the guy now, figuring you can't do better in the draft than you can with Turner?

Well, some clubs have. They contacted the Chargers to see if they're willing to deal Turner at a reduced cost, but they might as well have been looking for snow in Mission Bay. It's just not going to happen. Sure, Turner is available ... for a one and a three. Period. End of discussion.

Let's just say there has been a lot of activity," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said of the number of inquiries.

Smith isn't interested in negotiating. He has something of value, and he intends to hold it as long as he can. That means one more season. He knows Turner probably will exit as a free agent after 2007, but, as he said, "that's what happens when you have good football teams. Guys go to the market."

But 2008 is not Smith's concern. This season is, and he intends to protect his club in critical areas. He did it a year ago, with Shaun Phillips behind Steve Foley at linebacker. I think we all know what happened there. And Smith did it in 2005, too, keeping Drew Brees and Philip Rivers when the GM's critics predicted he would jettison one.

Smith wants Michael Turner around as an insurance policy against an injury to Tomlinson. In six seasons L.T. missed exactly one game, so the odds of something happening there aren't what you'd call high. Yet, Smith isn't about to risk losing Turner -- unless, of course, someone is willing to meet the Chargers' demand.

"I believe in depth," Smith said.

gr8slayer
03-21-2007, 03:45 PM
A ton of guys started as backups before becoming lead backs:

- Stephen Jackson backed up Marshall Faulk as a rookie
- Larry Johnson started out by backing up Preist Holmes
- Frank Gore started by backing up Kevan Barlow.
- Willie Parker started as a backup for Jerome Bettis.
- Rudi Johnson started as a backup to Corey Dillon.

All those guys are real good players.

Turner would be a steal for you guys for a 2nd, or any team for that matter.
Jackson, Johnson, Gore, Johnson were all first day picks. You expect great things out of them.

gr8slayer
03-21-2007, 03:46 PM
This article (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10072169) doesn't make it sound like Turner is available for less than the #1 and #3 the tender requires:
You know how front offices are. The Falcons were asking for no less than two number one's at one time for Shaub..

Ultra Chimp 1
03-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Turner has not proven he can carry the load. He looked good as a back-up to LT, but will the results be the same in Buffalo? A question like that makes offering multiple picks seem foolish, much like Baltomore may have been foolish to give us 3 picks for McGahee, who has proven he can carry the load... when he wants to.

And college players who haven't played one down in the NFL have?

patmoran2006
03-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Dudes..

Turner in parts of three seasons has 941 yards on only 157 carries.. That's flippin 6.0 yards per carry.. He also scored 5 TDs and catch the ball out of the backfield.

If Peterson is gone and Levy doesnt want Lynch, is anyone on here seriously saying that Turner isnt worth a second rounder???????????

Ickybaluky
03-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Jackson, Johnson, Gore, Johnson were all first day picks. You expect great things out of them.

Yes, but where Turner was drafted doesn't mean much now that he is in the NFL. Besides, Jamal Anderson, Priest Holmes and Willie Parker were not high picks.

ShadowHawk7
03-21-2007, 06:54 PM
I would do our low 3rd straight up if it was possible.

venis2k1
03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
i honestly dont know what to think about this. the fact is, no one knows. interesting to note. clinton portis averaged 5.5 ypc his first two years in the NFL, FULL TIME. now that is impressive. he has averaged 4 ypc his last 3 seasons in washington(a much better line than ours). what does this mean? nothing really. just dont take 6 ypc as the reason we should blindly toss away our second round pick.

bflojohn
03-21-2007, 07:17 PM
If I were King at OBD, I'd squeeze the Chargers right up to draft day! If they don't want to dance at the 11th hour, then forget Turner and launch into plan B! They are losing this guy for NOTHING in one calender year ( NOT even!) and THEY are the ones that should be squirming! The Bills simply need to ride this horse into the turf hard and make the Chargers realize that a trade for something is better than getting nothing at all. Oh, and by the way, A.J. Smith can provide depth behind Tomlinson during this draft, after they ship Turner out! Who the heck is he kidding?

HHURRICANE
03-21-2007, 07:20 PM
I see the Bills sitting until after Draft day. I just don't see them worrying at this point.

evol4276
03-21-2007, 09:23 PM
am i the only one on here who is not interested in this at all??? pretty sure most backs can run as good as he has behind that line after spelling the best back in the past few years has finished beating up the line.. no thank you, especially for as much as theyre asking for

Bert102176
03-21-2007, 10:22 PM
how many teams do you hear are trying to get him, not even espn insider mentions any rumors about him what does that tell you the guy is not as good as many of you think he is.

Bond
03-21-2007, 10:36 PM
I would do our low 3rd straight up if it was possible.

They wouldnt do that, they get a complimentary third when he leaves, theyd keep him for that price.

Bond
03-21-2007, 10:41 PM
I agree! Our 3rd or Baltimore's 3rd. If it was my choice Baltimores 3rd.

It will take a little more then a third. They will get a third just by letting him walk.