PDA

View Full Version : What is biggest need right now on Offense or Defense?

bigbub2352
03-21-2007, 09:24 AM
With all the big name FA gone and the draft rapidly approaching what is the Bills biggest need, the one that the Bills have to fill in order to compete in 07, do we need to shore up the Dline and LB, or do we need to get a CB, or do we need to go RB,

In my opinion i think we need to shore up the rb situation, and pickin 12 allows us to do so, Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson (if we trade down) would turn this offense around with a quickness

So my question is goin into the draft and the rest of FA what do the Bills need to fill to contend???????

patmoran2006
03-21-2007, 09:50 AM
With all the big name FA gone and the draft rapidly approaching what is the Bills biggest need, the one that the Bills have to fill in order to compete in 07, do we need to shore up the Dline and LB, or do we need to get a CB, or do we need to go RB,

In my opinion i think we need to shore up the rb situation, and pickin 12 allows us to do so, Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson (if we trade down) would turn this offense around with a quickness

So my question is goin into the draft and the rest of FA what do the Bills need to fill to contend???????
to put a team on the field and be relatively competitive? Not much.

To "contend"? A lot more than they have now. a lot

The King
03-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Rbs are a dime a dozen. An Elite MLB like Willis is a must!

bigbub2352
03-21-2007, 10:02 AM
what makes Willis elite, he is just the best LB in this draft doesnt mean he will be elite, i like him dont get me wrong, but Middle Lbs are a dime a dozen and come out every year too, plus with Crowell movin to his natural postion MLB, i think the Bills will b e lookin to draft an OLB, RB's are a dime a dozen but we need a good one for a change so that is why i think we go early for him, Willis could be a reach at 12

Devin
03-21-2007, 10:02 AM
MLB.

Although a case could be made for DT/DE.

alohabillsfan
03-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Offense=we will select a RB in round 2 or 3
Defense= DT there is a reason we only tendered Anderson. Round 1 or 2

Our top 3 needs are RB (we have 3) DT (we have 4, not including Anderson), and CB (we have 5).

Now with the D scheme that we run it is more important to have the right front 4 and specifically the right DT's we don't have the 4th yet, and I am hoping Okoye is there at 12.

RB- easier to get a guy later (round 2-3) that can run behind our new O-line. I personally like Pittman, IMO he played against tougher defenses than Lynch in the pac and he has no character or durability issues and he has played in Ohio and is close to home. (Lynch scares me a little).

The same can be said about CB as the RB with the front 4 improved the CB's need to be good tacklers and solid in zone coverage, we do not need the premier lock down type corner because we rarely blitz.

The 4th pick on day 1 will most likley be a OLB!

With all that said Marv will pick a TE!

The King
03-21-2007, 11:28 AM
what makes Willis elite, he is just the best LB in this draft doesnt mean he will be elite, i like him dont get me wrong, but Middle Lbs are a dime a dozen and come out every year too, plus with Crowell movin to his natural postion MLB, i think the Bills will b e lookin to draft an OLB, RB's are a dime a dozen but we need a good one for a change so that is why i think we go early for him, Willis could be a reach at 12

he just ran a 4.3 in the 40 he isnt a thug and he specializes in stopping the run.

BILLSROCK1212
03-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Special Teams!!!! why does everyone always signle out Special Teams?

TigerJ
03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I think the most accute need right now is for a solid starting running back. There's a chance we could fill that need with a franchise back like Peterson if he drops. If not we can fill it with Marshawn Lynch. The Bills could also trade for Michael Turner. He's got great speed and size, but I don't think he has a lot of shake and bake. That can be good or bad depending on the situation.

I think the next most accute need is for a linebacker. It looks like the Bills are set on moving Crowell to MLB. However Spikes is still a huge question mark and I don't know yet if Ellison can be a big time playmaker on a full time basis. He played at 224 lbs last season. He's trying to put on some extra muscle, and so far he's up to 226 lbs. OLBs don't need to be as heavy in the Tampa 2 system, but the mid 220s is still pretty light. Willis is the only linebacker who isn't a big reach at #12. He's a middle backer, but with his speed, I'm sure he could go outside, or the Bills could decide to move Crowell back outside. With Willis' pro day 40 times, he's in the same class as Brian Urlacher, and would make a tremendous Tampa 2 middle backer. If not filled in the first round there are a number of later round options: Rufus Alexander, Zak DeOssie, Antwan Barnes, Brandon Siler, Quincy Black, Rory Johnson and others all might be a good fit later on in the draft.

I think DT is the next most accute need in the draft. sopme would disagree with me, but I think the poor run defense las season was mostly the result of poor play from the DT spot. I think Larry Tripplett is serviceable in rotation as is Kyle Williams. Hopefully, John McCargo is more than serviceable, but they are still one DT shy of a good rotation, and it would be nice to get a guy who is better that a rotation guy. Okoye could fill that role if he were available in round one. After that there are a bunch of guys who may or may not have what it takes: Justin Harrell, Tank Tyler, Brandon Mebane, Antonio Johnson, Paul Soliai, Keith Jackson.

After that, the Bills could use a solid #2 receiver, more depth at CB (or maybe a starter depending on how Youboty pans out), a dominant TE etc. There aren't many places where Buffalo has no room for an upgrade. However, in many of those positions, Buffalo at least has players with some starting experience, and they can get by for another year without an upgrade.

SABURZFAN
03-21-2007, 06:31 PM

a QB........

HHURRICANE
03-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Rbs are a dime a dozen. An Elite MLB like Willis is a must!

Willis is looking like a 49er. He would have been great here.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-22-2007, 06:09 AM
I think the Bills need to come out of the first day of the draft with a DT, LB, RB and possibly a CB.

IMHO, the order in which they address those needs will/should largely be dictated by what players are still remaining on the board at the # 12 pick in the first round.

Even with McCargo coming back from injury, I do not believe that the Bills can go into this season with the same DT rotation that they had last year. A year of experience in the system might make that group a bit better, but the improvement would not be enough. I would make DT the team's first priority, even if they are unable to fill that need in the first round.

At least on paper, I think that RB is the team's second priority. But, with A.Thomas in the fold and the disparity in quality and depth between this year's draft and next at the position, I would prefer to see the team wait until later on Day One to address this need. Unless the team is sold on M.Lynch being their franchise back for the next 5-6 years or A.Peterson drops in their lap (which I see as being unlikely), I cannot see passing on a player who will address a need on defense for a RB.

Even if T.Spikes is fully healthy again and willing to stay in Buffalo for a reasonable price, the Bills are so paper-thin at LB that I consider this to be a more immediate need for them to fill early in the draft than even their hole at RB. A MLB like P.Willis would be great because that would allow the Bills to move Crowell back to OLB if Spikes or Ellison (who I believe will emerge as a C.June-type at OLB) falters or Spikes departs this year or before next season. But, I would also be happy with a play-making OLB, if the Bills are sold on Crowell as a MLB. Either way, I would not want to see the Bills wait any later than their own pick in the third round to address this position and would prefer to see them take P.Willis at # 12, if the top DTs are no longer available.

The Bills are also thin at CB and I believe that they will have to address that position in the draft as well, but I do not see the need being as urgent as it is at the positions I have mentioned above. I think the Bills can still get a pretty decent developmental prospect at CB late in the third round, after they have addressed their more pressing needs at DT, LB, and RB.

I also believe that the Bills desperately need to add a FB or TE in this draft. If they can get a good prospect at TE, like a B.Patrick, and feel that Cieslak can handle the FB blocking assignments, I would prefer to see them go for a TE who can challenge K.Everrett for a spot on the roster. Everrett has been slow to develop and, at this point, there is a real question as to whether he will ever develop. If not, having a young TE who can take his spot and add something in the passing game would be a big help. If the better TEs are gone, the Bills could opt to keep Cieslak at TE and draft a good blocking FB in the late rounds. But, either way, they must get a player to fill one of these two spots IMHO.

Those are what I see the Bills biggest needs being, in the order that I see them, if not the order that I would like to see them filled.

X-Era
03-22-2007, 06:22 AM

My honest opinion: RB.

I think adding a game breaking RB could give us yards that we couldnt get last year. I think since our OL is better, we could even be top 10 in rushing with a high enough quality RB. Thats a HUGE improvement to our O that will make our whole team better. It opens up our pass, it controls clock, it rests our D more.

CB, LB, DT all have viable replacements already here. CB- Youboty deserves a shot plus we resigned Thomas and Greer, strength in numbers. LB- Crowell could slide to MLB and has and advantage in size and strength over Fletch. OLB may be the weak link with Ellison, but even he showed flashes and has plenty of experience. DT is rotational and we already brought in 3 last year.

I think CB, LB, DT will all be addressed in the draft as well.

But if it were me and I needed a gamechanger, Id get the best damn RB I could find.

LT to the Chargers > Urlacher to the Bears
Alexander to the Seahawks > Champ Bailey to the Broncos

Just my opinion. They may be a dime a dozen, but your dozen is almost always average. Were shooting for much more here.

X-Era
03-22-2007, 06:24 AM
a QB........

Hey, I KNOW you honestly believe that. So at least your honest.

:posrep: