PDA

View Full Version : Checking out the Bills

Don't Panic
03-21-2007, 10:11 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/111/story/37103.html

Comprehensive view of our current situation. Highlights:

"Defensive tackle: Still a big need. Ideally, the Bills could use a big-impact player at defensive tackle. Larry Tripplett, John McCargo and Kyle Williams are their top three DTs at the moment. One top player would make the middle of the defense look so much better. If it’s a nose tackle, then the new guy and Williams could man that position, with Tim Anderson adding depth. If it’s a three-technique tackle (the penetrator who plays opposite the left guard), then the new guy and Tripplett could split time, with McCargo and Williams rotating at the nose. The first round of the draft is the prime time for this spot to be filled. If the Bills go elsewhere in the first round, then they will desperately need McCargo to make a big impact.

Running back: Question mark. The Bills say they will be comfortable following the lead of the Super Bowl teams — the Colts and Bears — and using a backs-by-committee approach now that Willis McGahee has been traded. Anthony Thomas looked pretty good in the three-game midseason stretch when McGahee was hurt last year. Thomas is only 29. It’s a given the Bills will take a back in the draft. California’s Marshawn Lynch will likely be available at No. 12. But there will be some good backs around in the second round (or the third), who might effectively split time with Thomas. Shaud Williams could help on third downs, and NFL Europe vet Fred Jackson will get a chance to make the team. Even with a first-day draft pick, the Bills could use another player here for insurance.

Linebacker: Question mark. At the moment, the Bills’ starting corps is Keith Ellison on the weak side, Angelo Crowell in the middle and Takeo Spikes on the strong side. That doesn’t look too bad. But Spikes is on the trade block, and all the economic factors point to his being traded. The Bills have said they do not plan to spend more cash than their cap limit of $112 million. It’s hard to see how they can avoid doing that with Spikes on the roster. He’s scheduled to make $4.6 million. (Cap economics allow bonuses to be spread over the length of contracts, so teams can spend more than the limit in actual dollars.) Ellison was a big surprise as a rookie and should take a big step up after a full offseason in an NFL conditioning program. This is a prime area of need for the draft, too."

Earthquake Enyart
03-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Cornerback: Check. Might be OK. Terrence McGee is set as a solid starter at one corner spot. Ashton Youboty was drafted in the third round last season. He came out of college a year early and might have been a first-round pick if he stayed another year at Ohio State. He missed almost all of training camp last year after the death of his mother and was inactive for 12 of 16 games. He’s young. The resigning of Kiwaukee Thomas was important. He did a good job as the nickel corner last year, keeping Jabari Greer mostly on the bench. Greer was re-signed. He has speed. Drafting a cornerback in the first round is rarely an awful idea. But if Youboty comes on, the Bills could be OK at this position.

He's an idiot.

THATHURMANATOR
03-21-2007, 10:19 AM
He's an idiot.
So do you think that Youboty is a worthless player?

Don't Panic
03-21-2007, 10:21 AM
He's an idiot.

Change "rarely" to "really" and he's dead on!

gr8slayer
03-21-2007, 10:21 AM
The only position that I think is a NEED right now is RB. Everything else is serviceable.

Earthquake Enyart
03-21-2007, 10:24 AM
So do you think that Youboty is a worthless player?
He didn't play hardly at all. Who knows wtf he can do...... but right now he's the starter??

gr8slayer
03-21-2007, 10:25 AM
He didn't play hardly at all. Who knows wtf he can do...... but right now he's the starter??
God I hope not. I'm hoping Thomas starts myself.

Don't Panic
03-21-2007, 10:26 AM

Not to get into the "first round grade" talk again, but if we drafted a CB in the first round, would you be happy with him as a starter? If you would, then you have to be willing to at least give Youboty a chance. He is far from a guarnatee, but still a logical candidate to start and have a decent year.

gr8slayer
03-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Not to get into the "first round grade" talk again, but if we drafted a CB in the first round, would you be happy with him as a starter? If you would, then you have to be willing to at least give Youboty a chance. He is far from a guarnatee, but still a logical candidate to start and have a decent year.
K. Thomas.

lightningbolt444
03-21-2007, 10:28 AM
even dt i would dlike to see them take another one but not in the first round i would like to see what mccargo has for a full year i think he'll be ok but i just cant see giving up two first round picks and three picks in total for two dt in the first round unless we can get okoye

Earthquake Enyart
03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Sorry. The logic escapes me since the guy didn't even drass most of the season.

And Thomas is a retread at best.

I'd rather have the best CB in this years draft starting over these 2.

gr8slayer
03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Sorry. The logic escapes me since the guy didn't even drass most of the season.

And Thomas is a retread at best.

I'd rather have the best CB in this years draft starting over these 2.
No thanks.

madness
03-21-2007, 10:41 AM

Where did it say he was the starter?

camelcowboy
03-21-2007, 11:19 AM

Any rookie you pick in this draft has more NFL expierence :rolleyes:

patmoran2006
03-21-2007, 11:27 AM
The only position that I think is a NEED right now is RB. Everything else is serviceable.
Serviceable as in there is a live body to play the spot..

Or serviceable as in your looking at a 5-6 win teams with those bodies?

Im with you on Lynch.. Either him or Peterson, as of right now I am leaning towards a RB with our first pick just like you.

But I dont think its the biggest "need" on the team. I think LB and DT are bigger needs.