PDA

View Full Version : Music City Miracle

Mudflap1
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
There's something I have to get off my chest...

Look, I don't like Rob Johnson. He was a bust, we blew several seasons hoping he'd pan out. He didn't. He had some flashes of brilliance in the games where he came in off the bench, etc. and looked like he'd be great, only to get sacked a million times, injured, and overall lose games when he was anointed the starter. In retrospect, Flutie should definitely have been the unequivocal starter during that time.

However, one thing bugs me... why does everyone blame the Music City Miracle on Rob Johnson? Dude... if the guy ever stepped up to the plate and played a tough, hard-nosed game where he got the job done, it was that game. Sure, maybe it was peculiar that Wilson pushed Phillips into making the switch at QB going into the playoffs, but make no mistake about it, Rob Johnson did not lose that game for the Buffalo Bills. If you recall, the Bills were coming from behind the whole game, and Johnson led them to the game winning field goal in the final seconds! How is that his fault? How did he lose that game? He did his job! He played a Super Bowl defense, one of the absolute best in the league at that time, stood tall even though there were major offensive line problems that game (Robert Hicks anyone?) and let the Bills back in the final minute to win! The special teams blew that game with crappy kick coverage and getting faked out of their collective jock straps (even though of course it was a forward lateral anyway).

So, please, feel free to criticize Rob Johnson for his overall lack of production with the Bills, but don't blame him for the Music City Miracle. If you're going to blame someone, blame the coaching staff for not having the special teams prepared adequately. If Bobby April was the special teams coach that year, do you think that play would've happened? Instead, we'd be applauding Johnson for bringing the Bills back to win that game and celebrating a playoff win, as well as who knows where they could've gone that year?

Anyway, just had to get that out...

Jon

casdhf
03-21-2007, 01:18 PM
He had the game won when he left the field. That being said, he's still a sack of **** and I wish ill upon him.

Mudflap1
03-21-2007, 01:20 PM
He had the game won when he left the field. That being said, he's still a sack of **** and I wish ill upon him.

That's all I'm saying...

Jon

The Answer
03-21-2007, 01:25 PM
There's something I have to get off my chest...

Look, I don't like Rob Johnson. He was a bust, we blew several seasons hoping he'd pan out. He didn't. He had some flashes of brilliance in the games where he came in off the bench, etc. and looked like he'd be great, only to get sacked a million times, injured, and overall lose games when he was anointed the starter. In retrospect, Flutie should definitely have been the unequivocal starter during that time.

However, one thing bugs me... why does everyone blame the Music City Miracle on Rob Johnson? Dude... if the guy ever stepped up to the plate and played a tough, hard-nosed game where he got the job done, it was that game. Sure, maybe it was peculiar that Wilson pushed Phillips into making the switch at QB going into the playoffs, but make no mistake about it, Rob Johnson did not lose that game for the Buffalo Bills. If you recall, the Bills were coming from behind the whole game, and Johnson led them to the game winning field goal in the final seconds! How is that his fault? How did he lose that game? He did his job! He played a Super Bowl defense, one of the absolute best in the league at that time, stood tall even though there were major offensive line problems that game (Robert Hicks anyone?) and let the Bills back in the final minute to win! The special teams blew that game with crappy kick coverage and getting faked out of their collective jock straps (even though of course it was a forward lateral anyway).

So, please, feel free to criticize Rob Johnson for his overall lack of production with the Bills, but don't blame him for the Music City Miracle. If you're going to blame someone, blame the coaching staff for not having the special teams prepared adequately. If Bobby April was the special teams coach that year, do you think that play would've happened? Instead, we'd be applauding Johnson for bringing the Bills back to win that game and celebrating a playoff win, as well as who knows where they could've gone that year?

Anyway, just had to get that out...

Jon

The Answer is confident that The Little General would have led the Bills all the way to a superbowl victory - This frachise may never recover from "The Curse of The Flutiebino"

~The Answer

RockStar36
03-21-2007, 01:39 PM
I still remember Johnson leading the team down the field with one shoe missing. That one game made me respect him for a short time.

Saratoga Slim
03-21-2007, 01:41 PM
The Answer is confident that The Little General would have led the Bills all the way to a superbowl victory - This frachise may never recover from "The Curse of The Flutiebino"

~The Answer

I am confident that the Answer is on crack. But regardless of how Johnson played in the Music City game, I did think at the time that Flutie should have kept the reins.

JoeMama
03-21-2007, 01:49 PM
I can't even think about the Music City Miracle.

I still get that pain in my stomach like I did the day it happened.

Don't Panic
03-21-2007, 01:53 PM

Then I suggest you watch the Comeback Game special on NFLN today. Always makes me feel better.

Great post. For that day, Johnson did what needed to be done to win the game. For that day...

Dr. Lecter
03-21-2007, 01:57 PM

~The Answer

Yes, because of his great performance teh year before against the Fishies.

6 TO's. And, if you ask him, none were his fault.

Flutie was an overhyped POS. One of the two most over-hyped figures in Buffalo Sports history.

The Answer
03-21-2007, 01:57 PM
I am confident that the Answer is on crack. But regardless of how Johnson played in the Music City game, I did think at the time that Flutie should have kept the reins.

The Answer is not on crack - Flutie was a QB of destiny with Buffalo and he saved this franchise back in 1998. Can also argue that he is the reason Moulds career took off.

The Answer still has great memories of that game against Jacksonville in Buffalo when he bootlegged the game winning score. That was one of the best games The Answer ever attended live.

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
03-21-2007, 01:58 PM

I was out of town on a boys weekend away for that game.

I think I set a personal best (worst?) for alcohol consumption that day.

And for profanity utterances.

JoeMama
03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
For that day, Johnson did what needed to be done to win the game. For that day...

I agree.

I don't hold Rob Johnson responsible for that loss.

I expected our offense to struggle in that game regardless of who started because the Titans had a great defense.

RJ was subpar most of the day but was clutch and put the Bills in a position to win.

I blamed the guys who left their lanes on the kickoff.

I believe it was Jonathan Linton, Ken Irvin, and Eric Smedley.

Dr. Lecter
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I think there was a safety that did too. He left here and went to Atlanta (Brain cramp, can't think of the name).

JoeMama
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I was out of town on a boys weekend away for that game.

I think I set a personal best (worst?) for alcohol consumption that day.

And for profanity utterances.

I don't blame you.

I was too destroyed to even consider a drink. Which is good, I probably would have drank myself into a coma.

I cut off all contact with my friends and family for a few days and just brooded.

I took that loss like a huge baby.

JoeMama
03-21-2007, 02:03 PM
I think there was a safety that did too. He left here and went to Atlanta (Brain cramp, can't think of the name).

Keion Carpenter.

Although, I don't think he was responsible.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-21-2007, 02:04 PM
TheGhostofJimKelly asks what do you speak of? Music City Miracle? I have no recollection of such events. Thank you shrink.

The Answer
03-21-2007, 02:05 PM

Flutie was an overhyped POS. One of the two most over-hyped figures in Buffalo Sports history.

Andre Reed blew that game - not The Little General.

You can call him overhyped, but make no mistake about it - The Flutie saved this franchise! The Flutie Flakes were uneccesary though.

~The Answer

RockStar36
03-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Andre Reed blew that game - not The Little General.

You can call him overhyped, but make no mistake about it - The Flutie saved this franchise! The Flutie Flakes were uneccesary though.

~The Answer

Andre Reed kept getting his passes knocked down at the line??

JoeMama
03-21-2007, 02:08 PM

LOL!

I take it you weren't a Flutie Flake.

I liked Flutie, but his fans got under my skin sometimes.

No other facet of the team got any credit for the wins. Just Flutie.

Which I thought was unfair and inaccurate.

The Answer
03-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Andre Reed kept getting his passes knocked down at the line??

No he turned the ball over and was flagged for a crucial unsportsmanlike conduct penatly late in the game.

It's ludicrous to lay the blame on The Flutie unless you have a blatant agenda against him.

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
03-21-2007, 02:12 PM
No he turned the ball over and was flagged for a crucial unsportsmanlike conduct penatly late in the game.

It's ludicrous to lay the blame on The Flutie unless you have a blatant agenda against him.

~The Answer

1st, that call reeked of BS. It was horrible. Reed stood up and the ref was leaning over him.

2nd, the midget had 6 TO's.

He was incredible. The wins were because of him (entirely) and the losses had nothing to do with him.

The Answer
03-21-2007, 02:12 PM
LOL!

I take it you weren't a Flutie Flake.

I liked Flutie, but his fans got under my skin sometimes.

No other facet of the team got any credit for the wins. Just Flutie.

Which I thought was unfair and inaccurate.

The Flutie carried this team in 98-99, and Wade Phillips defense was vastly overrated.

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
03-21-2007, 02:13 PM
The Flutie carried this team in 98-99, and Wade Phillips defense was vastly overrated.

~The Answer

How are rankings of 5th and 2nd in the NFL overrated???????

RockStar36
03-21-2007, 02:14 PM

~The Answer

He is NOT "the Flutie". I swear you post just to agitate people

6 TURNOVERS!!!!

Yet it was Reed's fault.

Right.

RockStar36
03-21-2007, 02:15 PM

They would have been the #1 defense if Flutie played both ways....

...on the football field that is.

The Answer
03-21-2007, 02:15 PM
1st, that call reeked of BS. It was horrible. Reed stood up and the ref was leaning over him.

2nd, the midget had 6 TO's.

He was incredible. The wins were because of him (entirely) and the losses had nothing to do with him.

The Answer agrees with your last statement for sure.

Can't always blame the Ref's for Buffalo getting screwed over all the time - the seasoned vet should have done the right thing and stayed clear of the refs.

All great players have turnovers, but you can't blame The Flutie for all of them - However it's a testament to how good a QB he was that we were still in that game and had a chance to win late.

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
How can he stay clear of refs? The game was near the end. He had to stand up.

The Answer
03-21-2007, 02:17 PM

We had a top 10 defense in 2003 and 2004 - how'd that work out for us?

Without a playoff birth, top defense means nothing to The Answer.

~The Answer

JoeMama

~The Answer

Hardly.

The #6 defense in 1998.

The #1 defense in 1999.

Just look at the 1999 results on a game by game basis.

We won a whole bunch of low scoring games thanks to that "overrated" defense.

RockStar36
The Answer agrees with your last statement for sure.

Can't always blame the Ref's for Buffalo getting screwed over all the time - the seasoned vet should have done the right thing and stayed clear of the refs.

All great players have turnovers, but you can't blame The Flutie for all of them - However it's a testament to how good a QB he was that we were still in that game and had a chance to win late.

~The Answer

Are you reading what you're writing???

Can't blame the QB for turning the ball over 6 times? Who do you blame? The defenders for catching the ball? Or the other Bills for not recovering the ball? Or the wind? Oooooh, that's a good one.

The Answer
03-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Are you reading what you're writing???

Can't blame the QB for turning the ball over 6 times? Who do you blame? The defenders for catching the ball? Or the other Bills for not recovering the ball? Or the wind? Oooooh, that's a good one.

Most of the passes were deflected - Hardly The Flutie's fault.

~The Answer

RockStar36
03-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Most of the passes were deflected - Hardly The Flutie's fault.

~The Answer

Yeah, it's genetics fault for making him a damn midget.

TacklingDummy
03-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Why do I blame Johnson?

1) He should have never been named starter for that game. I don't care what he did against the Colts in a game that meant nothing.

2) The saftey Johnson took to give Tenn. 2 points.

3) The free kick after the saftey which led to 7 more easy points.

4) Final score 22-19. Take away the 9 points Johnson set up for Tenn and the final score would have been 19-13. The MCM wouldn't have even mattered.

5) Rob Johnson 10-22 for 131 yards, 0 INT, 0 TD.

6) Fumbles lost Buffalo (Rob Johnson 2);

7) I think that Bills team was a Super Bowl team.

The Answer
03-21-2007, 02:26 PM
All this Flutie talk has The Answer in a nostalgic mood:

http://www.aeispeakers.com/images/headshots/Flutie-Doug.jpg
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nfl/2000/1102/photo/a_flutie_i.jpg
http://www.fansedge.com/Images/product/33-20/33-20901-m.jpg
http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/Doug-Flutie.JPG

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_hail.gifhttp://www.kvraudio.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_hail.gifhttp://www.kvraudio.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_hail.gifhttp://www.kvraudio.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_hail.gif

~The Answer

Gunzlingr
03-21-2007, 02:34 PM
We would have gone undefeated with Flutie if his brother would have been our WR.

Historian
03-21-2007, 04:57 PM
:lolpoint: midget qb

Luisito23
03-21-2007, 07:08 PM

That POS day took a piece of my heart that till this day hurts like a toothache.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

Typ0
03-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I respect RJ for having the balls to come to buffalo to have his career ruined.

Bill Brasky
03-21-2007, 09:37 PM
why are we even revisiting this travesty?

I'd rather discuss.... THE SNOW BOWL!

OpIv37
03-21-2007, 09:44 PM
The refs blew that game. And it wasn't just that throwback play either- there were several calls right before the half where we were robbed. We ***** about the officiating a lot in the wake of losses, but this time it is completely legit. The zebras stole that game from us and I will go to my grave believing that.

Bert102176
03-21-2007, 10:09 PM
the officials are to blame for that game, and a few others I remember a championship game colts vs patriots the patriot defenders were holding the colts WR's the whole game and no calls were made