PDA

View Full Version : If Mularkey Stayed on for 2006......

Saratoga Slim
03-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Who'd be our coach right now?

Mularkey was on real thin ice at the inception of the Marv Levy era, and the team was a bickering disaster. Assuming he would have kept most of the same personnel, employed the same highly effective offensive and defensive systems and playcalling, and continued his adroit handling of the QB contraversy, my guess is no, we would have been drafting really high this year and Marv would have been personally chiseling Mularkey's name off the door to the head coach's office at OBD.

Which leads me to my intellectual exercise for today:

Assuming Mularkey coached it out in Buffalo in 2006, and then got canned, who would you all like to have seen us bring in as the new coach for this coming year? For sake of argument, lets assume Jauron took last year off and is available along with Cameron, Petrino, Rivera, Tomlin, and each of the other guys that were available in January, 2007.

I'm going to have to say I'd stick with Jauron. Partly, because I think it was a very weak talent market for HCs this year, and partly because

1. I think he deserves major credit for helping to turn the bickering mess Mularkey left into a group of guys that seem to really like the organization and want to play for it.
2. I like that he coached enough discipline that we set what I think was a franchise low for penalties
3. I like that we were competitive in almost every game we played, which says a lot about his game planning and his motivational ability.

While I had some problems with his playcalling at times, if I had to pick a new coach in January, there's not another guy available that I'm confident would do a better all around job than Jauron.

Fire away.

Mudflap1
03-21-2007, 02:59 PM
We'd probably be looking for a new coach and a new quarterback, because Losman would've probably been destroyed by Mularkey.

If we were looking for a new coach this offseason, I would say off of the top of my head Marty. Say what you want about him, but he gets his teams into the playoffs and he's a Bills guy. Playoffs would be better than what we've seen around here for awhile.

Jon

patmoran2006
03-21-2007, 03:09 PM
We'd probably be looking for a new coach and a new quarterback, because Losman would've probably been destroyed by Mularkey.

If we were looking for a new coach this offseason, I would say off of the top of my head Marty. Say what you want about him, but he gets his teams into the playoffs and he's a Bills guy. Playoffs would be better than what we've seen around here for awhile.

Jon
I agree 100%..

THe early arguments would center around the HC. I dont know who it would've been, but it would be someone young and cheap, or recycled (cough cough Jauron) and cheap. There is NO way Wilson would pay for someone like Cowher or parcels, or even Marty (ewww).

The later arguements would be on if Brady Quinn would slip in the draft; beacuse I do agree, Mularkey would've ruined JP.

Saratoga Slim
03-21-2007, 03:20 PM

Jon
Good post.

To clarify my thoughts above, I'm no Jauron disciple. I just think he's done a reasonably good job, and I'm not sure Cameron, Petrino, Tomlin etc would have been obviously better choices. Knowing what I do about Jauron now, I'm comfortable (if not elated) to have him in charge. This year will be the real test, cause he's got to put some wins on the board.

Night Train
03-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Who'd be our coach right now?

Harvey Johnson Jr.

patmoran2006
03-21-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm not comfortable with him in charge (Jauron). I think he's a good players coach and I hope he helps these young guys come along.. I also give him credit for being a stand up guy... I think he's a pretty ****ty x's and o's coach; and I often question/wonder what the **** he's doing on game day..

I dont think he's the kind of coach that will win you a championship.

My optimistic hope is jauron helps develop some of these young kids and develop an attitude that will stick with them.

With Levy, my hope is he brings in more high character young guys through the draft.

This GM/Coach combo isn't long term, especially with levy. I love Marv, but he's ****ing 81 years old..Does anyone really expect him to physically and mentally stay sharp to build a mainstay over the next 5-6 years?

My realistic hope is these guys are like great high school teachers, getting their pupils ready to graduate to college (Super Bowl contention)

gr8slayer
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't think Losman would be here anymore if Mularkey was still here.

Saratoga Slim
03-21-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm not comfortable with him in charge (Jauron). I think he's a good players coach and I hope he helps these young guys come along.. I also give him credit for being a stand up guy... I think he's a pretty ****ty x's and o's coach; and I often question/wonder what the **** he's doing on game day..

I dont think he's the kind of coach that will win you a championship.

My optimistic hope is jauron helps develop some of these young kids and develop an attitude that will stick with them.

With Levy, my hope is he brings in more high character young guys through the draft.

This GM/Coach combo isn't long term, especially with levy. I love Marv, but he's ****ing 81 years old..Does anyone really expect him to physically and mentally stay sharp to build a mainstay over the next 5-6 years?

My realistic hope is these guys are like great high school teachers, getting their pupils ready to graduate to college (Super Bowl contention)

I agree that Jauron hasn't yet done anything to prove he's in the same class as Belichek, Cowher, Dungy, Gruden or the other coaches that have recently won a Super Bowl. That said, I don't think its completely out of the question that he could get us there. Christ, Jim Freakin Fassell had the Giants in the big game a while back.

But whether or not Jauron is a Super Bowl caliber coach, I don't see him going anywhere unless things aren't going well here. Regardless of whether Marv leaves in two years.

Saratoga Slim
03-21-2007, 03:36 PM
I don't think Losman would be here anymore if Mularkey was still here.

and yes, I agree with everyone who's said that JP would be done if Mularkey stayed thru 2006

justasportsfan
03-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Moran. What's with all the **** lately?

Take it easy will ya. Bling is still a minor.

G. Host
03-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Several posters who always seem to be aggravated would have hanged themselves or switched teams if you believe their Mularkey. I am not sure if the thinning of the Bills "fan" gene pool would have been helped or harmed.

McBFLO
03-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Ken Whisenhunt or Russ Grimm wouldn't have been bad choices and they would've gotten some serious consideration if I was running the show.

Saratoga Slim
03-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Ken Whisenhunt or Russ Grimm wouldn't have been bad choices and they would've gotten some serious consideration if I was running the show.

Ahhh, KW. forgot about him. I probably would have been rooting for him actually. Not Grimm though, still not convinced he even wants to be a HC.

alohabillsfan
03-22-2007, 11:04 AM
We would have a shot at C. Johnson!