PDA

View Full Version : Bills shouldn't veto Louisville back Bush

YardRat
03-22-2007, 05:41 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070322/SPORTS0101/703220367/-1/COLUMNS

The Buffalo Bills need a top-notch running back, and Michael Bush needs a team to take a chance on him. Might he be the second coming of Thurman Thomas? Probably not, but he could at least be a nice complement to Anthony "A-Train" Thomas.

Bush had the look of a first-team All-American and future top-10 NFL draft pick when his Louisville Cardinals kicked off the 2006 season. The year before, he had rushed for 1,183 yards and led the nation with 23 touchdowns.
But after scoring three TDs in the 2006 opener against Kentucky, he suffered a broken leg in the second half, ending his season. He then opted to enter the 2007 NFL draft.
Bush is big (6-foot-2, 250 pounds), strong and fast with a nose for the end zone. Unlike Thurman Thomas, he is not a good blocker, and he had more surgery on his broken leg Tuesday. A rod was inserted into his leg to hasten the healing process. He's expected to be ready to play this NFL season.
The Bills took a chance on a running back coming off a knee injury in the 1988 draft, and Thurman Thomas went on to become the most productive No. 40 overall pick in NFL history. Assuming Buffalo doesn't get a chance to pick Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson and decides to pass on California running back Marshawn Lynch with the No. 12 overall pick, Bush might be worth a shot in the second round and definitely would be worth the risk in the third round.

Night Train
03-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Multiple, immediate needs and Bob Matthews thinks a 2nd round flyer on a guy with serious medical questions is a good idea.

Dear Bob. Retire.
Sincerely, Earth.

alohabillsfan
03-22-2007, 06:03 AM
I think the only way we take a chance on him is in the 3rd round, if he is there. I still like Pittman.

jpdex12
03-22-2007, 06:06 AM
I think the only way we take a chance on him is in the 3rd round, if he is there. I still like Pittman.

How bout the 6th round?

X-Era
03-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Multiple, immediate needs and Bob Matthews thinks a 2nd round flyer on a guy with serious medical questions is a good idea.

Dear Bob. Retire.
Sincerely, Earth.

A broken leg isnt a serious medical question IMO. Crowell is back from one.

They heal, and they heal stronger than when they broke. The issue is that the break wasnt very clean, meaning needed additional work to mend right.

Its a more-time-needed-to-heal thing, not a will-never-be-the-same-thing. This isnt McGahee part deux, the injuries arent even close to being the same.

The Spaz
03-22-2007, 07:30 AM
You don't draft him first day for sure. For the most part you draft a guy on the first day to help immediately. Also he may not be healed up to participate in training camp.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 07:43 AM
A broken leg isnt a serious medical question IMO. Crowell is back from one.

They heal, and they heal stronger than when they broke. The issue is that the break wasnt very clean, meaning needed additional work to mend right.

Its a more-time-needed-to-heal thing, not a will-never-be-the-same-thing. This isnt McGahee part deux, the injuries arent even close to being the same.

Dude he's a running back, he's needed two surgeries to fix his leg.He's as good as done, and shouldn't be draft till day two if he is drafted at all. Lets just draft a healthy running back and move on.

DraftBoy
03-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Id pass on him

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 07:52 AM
i guess we should cut crowell too.. he is a linebacker.. he needs his legs.. he will never be the same.

lets cut spikes, ditch crowell, and screw drafting bush.

The Spaz
03-22-2007, 07:54 AM
i guess we should cut crowell too.. he is a linebacker.. he needs his legs.. he will never be the same.

As far as I know Crowell is ok. Bush has just had surgery and who knows when he'll be ready. I'm just saying I wouldn't draft him on day 1.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 07:57 AM

lets cut spikes, ditch crowell, and screw drafting bush. If you draft bush he'd go on the pup list, because he wouldn't be ready for months according to every article i read about it. I was fine with drafting him in the second round, but when a break that occurs in october is not healing right this kid is in for a long recovery. Beside Crowell's leg was close to healed by the end of last year.

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 08:00 AM
a broken bone is a broken bone..

i am sorry, but they can fix it.

he is still worth a pick. i would not avoid him completely.

DraftBoy
03-22-2007, 08:00 AM

What good reason can you give for Bush? His bones arent healing properly, how can you sit here and advocate drafting him? McGahee's knee was healing properly when we took him. There is no telling if this is Bush's last surgery or if this new rod will work where the old one didnt. This guy is a bigger question mark at this moment then McGahee. We knew McGahee's knee was going to get back to the point where he could play on it, nobody can say that about Bush's leg yet till we see if this new rod will work. Till then I wouldnt touch him, and even then Ive never liked his style of running.

DraftBoy
03-22-2007, 08:02 AM

A broken bone that is not healing right? Im sorry but your severly downsizing the seriousness of this ailment. His bone is not all growing back, there is hope that this new rod will fix that but no guarantees till 2 months from now. I cant advocate wasting a pick in one of our biggest drafts in our recent history on a prayer and whim.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 08:15 AM

Tell that to Edwards "former new england rb" when he broke his leg playing football in the sand during the pro bowl. Besides a brief comeback it ended his NFL career. A broken bone is a broken bone is gross over simplification. He may be done. If he's drafted it won't be with a first day pick.

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 08:19 AM
your right.. i am saying.. we should cut crowell too.

why risk it.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 08:23 AM
your right.. i am saying.. we should cut crowell too.

why risk it.

He's healed, he pretty much stated that if he wasnt on IR he could have played in the playoffs"lol pipedream" He's fine. Bush has had a rod in his leg since october and the break hasn't healed right. A second rod being put in now doesn't make me feel all that good he's going to make a complete recovery. He could be fine, i just don't believe he's worth the first day risk. Especailly because there are some quality rbs out there. Pittman who i do like alot. Leonard. If they take a late flyer on Bush then thats fine.

Talk0fNewYork
03-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Bush has just had surgery and who knows when he'll be ready.Read the article before you *****, it says he'll be back and ready to play before the season.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Read the article before you *****, it says he'll be back and ready to play before the season. Just because it's in print from Bob freakin Mathews doesn't mean much. Every other source i have read or heard says he may be out longer.

Talk0fNewYork
03-22-2007, 08:45 AM
The season starts in 6 months, it does not take 6 months for your leg to heal.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 08:48 AM
The season starts in 6 months, it does not take 6 months for your leg to heal.

He broke it in october the first time, now he's had a set back, who knows.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Here read this article B-Max posted this guys break was serious

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=122708

Don't Panic
03-22-2007, 08:56 AM
4th at the earliest, 5th would be worth the risk (but we don't have one)... Crowell comparisons are good for a laugh.

don137
03-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Bush has a bum leg, Lynch has a bum back and Petersen is injury prone yet everyone says we need to take a running back early. Well the top running backs all have a little bit of the injury bug. Where do you roll the dice? Its easy to answer two years from now but right now it is a crap shoot.

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Just because it's in print from Bob freakin Mathews doesn't mean much. Every other source i have read or heard says he may be out longer.

just because crowell says his leg is fine doesnt mean it is either.

TKO said he was healed last season too.. then after being a shell of his former self all season, he admitted he was not 100%.

our team has not made the playoffs in a decade.. that is getting pretty old.. so taking a risk on a guy that would have been a high day one pick is fine by me.

even your reference with robert edwards.. his damage was ALOT more than a broken leg. he had sigificant nerve damage and other stuff going on.

this is a broken bone. putting a rod in their leg is standard. it helps it heal back stronger.

im just saying.. everyone (myself included) thinks crowell is going to be fine.. but people are assuming bush is a waste of a roster spot.. well hopefully the jets dont decide different and we have to face him and thomas jones all season.

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Bush has a bum leg, Lynch has a bum back and Petersen is injury prone yet everyone says we need to take a running back early. Well the top running backs all have a little bit of the injury bug. Where do you roll the dice? Its easy to answer two years from now but right now it is a crap shoot.

and a guy that has no injury past whatsoever can have his knees buckle from cutting to hard and be done for good after one practice.. see lecharles bentley.

it is football. it is all a risk.

i would rather risk it on guys that have shown they can play at a high level than scrubs who cant play but just havent been hurt YET. and i say yet because everyone will get hurt at some point.

gr8slayer
03-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Unless he's a day two pick I don't want him.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.wave3.com/global/story.asp?s=5365948&ClientType=Printable

LOUISVILLE)
-- On Monday, University of Louisville running back Michael Bush underwent successful surgery to repair two broken bones in his right leg. One local doctor says the type of broken leg bush suffered is "one of the most severe leg injuries an athlete can have." And while it is not expected to end his football career, this doctor says Bush may never run like he once did. WAVE 3 Investigator Eric Flack (eflack@wave3tv.com) has more.As he lay at the 11 yard line, his season over and trainers holding his right leg in place, Doctor Peter Krause, a physician at Baptist Urgent Care, says Michael Bush was in unbelievable pain.
"About as bad as it gets," Dr. Krause said. "10 out of 10."
Dr. Krasue did not attend to Bush at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium Sunday night, but he has treated injuries like his before.
The breaks came to Bush's tibia, the thick bone that runs down the lower part of your leg, and the fibula, the thinner bone right next to it.

The injury is severe two bones, and now he's had a set back. My view is he shouldn't be drafted the first day. T do you feel he should be drafted between rounds 1-3?

TigerJ
03-22-2007, 09:18 AM
The speculation I've heard is that Bush could even drop to undrafted status. Even in a best case scenario, I don't see him being able to contribute much in '07. However, if he's still hanging around in round 6, why not. He could be a steal at that point.

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 09:19 AM
[B]

The injury is severe two bones, and now he's had a set back. My view is he shouldn't be drafted the first day. T do you feel he should be drafted between rounds 1-3?

you highlighted the "10 out of 10" which was a reference to how bad it hurt.. not the injury..

and again, that is one doctors opinion.. a doctor that admitted in the article that he was not there or involved.

i can find you a doctor and a million patients that have had broken legs before and have healed fine.

i am not endorsing that he be a 2nd round pick.. obvioulsy.

but i would not bat an eye if the bills burned the extra 3rd we have on him.

gr8slayer
03-22-2007, 09:21 AM
you highlighted the "10 out of 10" which was a reference to how bad it hurt.. not the injury..

and again, that is one doctors opinion.. a doctor that admitted in the article that he was not there or involved.

i can find you a doctor and a million patients that have had broken legs before and have healed fine.

I would still say that it would be too high. Especially if we do draft Lynch :pray:

Tatonka
and obviously, it the bills spent a 3rd on him, then their doctors approved it..

if their doctors say no, then so be it. clearly we have a history with hurt running backs.. ie thurman and willis.. so if they take him, i will be happy as hell. i dont care what round that is in.

camelcowboy

Now find one that is a football running back who has had a second surgery because he's not healing properly. The original injury is not why he's dropping it because he's clearly had a set back.

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 09:23 AM
I would still say that it would be too high. Especially if we do draft Lynch :pray:

well obviously if they draft lynch, then i would say dont burn another pick on a running back on day one, but if the rumors are true and he is a late second day guy now, then hell yeah, i would be even more included to take him.. lynch and bush a year from now (assuming bush doesnt play this season, which absolutely not out of the question.) it is a broken bone.. not torn ligaments. bones heal back stronger when they break.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 09:26 AM

Hey Slayer, im hearing now lynch has back issues?

jamze132
03-22-2007, 09:27 AM
I still like the idea of Patrick Willis in the 1st and Bush in the 2nd.

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2007, 09:30 AM
If Bush is there in the 3rd round, it's a steal.

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Now find one that is a football running back who has had a second surgery because he's not healing properly. The original injury is not why he's dropping it because he's clearly had a set back.

set backs happen. maybe his body didnt like the metal rod.. it is not the end of the world.

look i am not a doctor... but at 32 years old and being a hockey player my whole life, i have broken at least 10 different bones.. never my leg, but a broken bone heals the same. i have had breaks in my hand from fights that have taken longer to heal, and broken collarbones that healed very easily. some people respond different. but i just cant see how they cant correct whatever it is and get him on the field again.

if mcgahee can play again, anyone can.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 09:43 AM
He probally will play again. I just think with this team having so many damn needs draft Leonard, Lynch, Booker, there are alot of healthy running backs who could help this team. Drafting a guy with a high pick that there is a remote possiblity you many have to shelve for 2007, just doesn't sit well.

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2007, 09:44 AM
http://www.wave3.com/global/story.asp?s=5365948&ClientType=Printable

I broke the exact same thing in HS, granted I'm not professional athlete but after a year and a half I was able to do everything I could before, playing soccer, wrestle, baseball, 100 meter dash, everything.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 09:49 AM
can this team wait another year for this guy. didn't we just end a simular expierment on a running back?

DraftBoy
03-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Here is my concern, for whatever reason Bush's bones are not healing right with the old rod. I pray for him that the new rod helps the bone that isnt growing to grow. If it doesnt work this is indeed career threatening. There is still alot unknown as of right now.