PDA

View Full Version : We really need to consider our priorities in this draft

jpdex12
03-22-2007, 06:56 AM
Honestly, I love the thought of bringing in a stud RB with the 12th pick but we need to think realistically as to what OBD is thinking. I wrote in another post this:

While it would be exciting to see us draft Peterson or Lynch with the #12 pick and it would create more anticipation for the start of the season to see the results on offense we need to consider some important facts that stunk up the overall results of last year for the Bills.

Our run defense sucks and our offensive rushing sucked and OBD knows this. That is why we blew a nut on o-lineman early on in FA. I am satisfied with the new look o-line so far and I look forward to us adding another hog or two late in the draft.

Our run D staggered last year due to poor penetration from the front four and filling the gaps by our LBers. We were in a new scheme and the defense had to learn it before they could execute properly. The additional set back of having two rookies on the d-line, one rookie LBer and two rookies in the secondary didn't help anymore. We will naturally improve just by having 1 year under their belt already. Add to this that McCargo lost time with the injury so I expect he will improve things when he is regularly in there this year. We have Hargrove at DT who was a nice burst of energy as well.

I see us going after BPA with the #12 pick with the pecking order of BPA being a LBer first if you were to put any kind of order of importance. IF Willis is there I still have to believe that we will take him over Okoye/Lynch/Peterson/Anderson/Ginn Jr./Brown. Anyone except for CJ.
Then Gonzalez in the second. Yes I said our run defense needs help in the draft but think about the natural improvements listed above. Also the BPA concept.
Realistically Bowe/Meachem/Jarrett/ Ginn should be gone in the first so it's Gonzo over any other player or position except Revis but he should be gone by our second pick as well.
Then CB and RB in the 3rd round, whoever is the better player and position first in the 3rd. DT maybe in the 4th.

We really should sign Chris Brown if we are saving RB for the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't think that there are any RB's worthy of a 2nd round pick now that Bush is hampered by the leg healing issue. Pittman and irons are not starting, stud, carry the weight RB's IMO.
The future at RB may be Slaton/McFadden/Rice as a starter next year and Irons/Pittman type back as a backup, change of pace back.

Let the critisizm begin...

Don't Panic
03-22-2007, 07:17 AM
The one thing about Jauron is you know he likes bodies at RB, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us pass at RB at #12, even if Peterson is there. If we do end up bringing in Brown (or another semi-retread), what's the point of using your 1st on a RB? They'll take one in the 3rd and and just rotate backs to wear teams out. Not sure about the WR in the 2nd theory, but I agree with your OL/RB arguments.

jpdex12
03-22-2007, 07:35 AM
The one thing about Jauron is you know he likes bodies at RB, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us pass at RB at #12, even if Peterson is there. If we do end up bringing in Brown (or another semi-retread), what's the point of using your 1st on a RB? They'll take one in the 3rd and and just rotate backs to wear teams out. Not sure about the WR in the 2nd theory, but I agree with your OL/RB arguments.

I hear ya, I really am starting to think we pass on RB in the first, especially with talks with Brown heating up...I may be half right on this...huh! We will be better of for it. Gonzalez is going to be a great WR. He is very smart and durable and RELIABLE! Like Wayne Chrebet.

ShadowHawk7
03-22-2007, 01:47 PM
I haven't heard anything about Brown talks heating up, but if we do sign him, it really does free up our 1st to address the run defense, whether that be Okoye or Willis. I wouldn't be satisfied w/ just Brown and Train however, and I would pursue a 3rd or 4th round back to complete the rotation.

alohabillsfan
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Sorry, I cannot bash you because I agree. I am ok with Okoye or Willis at 12!

Okoye = Tripplett/McCargo Okoye/Williams rotation
Willis = SLB Crowell/Spikes? MLB Willis WLB Ellison

Can live with either of those.

I really want Willis, and would love to roll the dice and get DT M. Thomas in the 3rd. He has just as much if not more talent then Okoye but the dreaded character issue.

1st MLB Willis
2nd CB McCauley?
3rd RB Pittman/Walker/Booker?
3rd DT M. Thomas
4th OLB Durant

jpdex12
03-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I haven't heard anything about Brown talks heating up, but if we do sign him, it really does free up our 1st to address the run defense, whether that be Okoye or Willis. I wouldn't be satisfied w/ just Brown and Train however, and I would pursue a 3rd or 4th round back to complete the rotation.

Per Adam Shefter, NFL Network - Chris Brown Talks With Bills Heating Up.