PDA

View Full Version : Per Adam Shefter, NFL Network - Chris Brown Talks With Bills Heating Up.

Night Train
03-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Talks between the running back needy Buffalo Bills and Tennessee's free agent Chris Brown are heating up. Brown would provide the Bills with a nice alternative until the draft, where Buffalo still could be poised to pick up either Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson or California's Marshawn Lynch.

Don't Panic
03-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Brown, Thomas, Jackson, Williams, Draft Pick? Sounds a bit crowded... gives hope to Leonard though, since he could serve as the FB in that situation.

patmoran2006
03-22-2007, 07:12 AM
If they sign Brown, forget about Peterson or Lynch.

GOD please DONT sign him..

RockStar36
I think I just puked a little when I read the thread title.

Romes
I'd be ok with a A-Train/C. Brown combo this year. It would allow the Bills to improve other positions in the draft.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 07:13 AM
yeah this wouldn't be good news in my book

patmoran2006
03-22-2007, 07:14 AM
I'd be ok with a A-Train/C. Brown combo this year. It would allow the Bills to improve other positions in the draft.
Perhaps so.. But by signing Brown, they are not improving at RB.

I understand there are a lot of competent RBs in the NFL; but I think the position is severely underated on here.

What's the best way to improve a weak run defense? Umm have an offense that is on the field more.

Romes
03-22-2007, 07:31 AM

I understand there are a lot of competent RBs in the NFL; but I think the position is severely underated on here.

What's the best way to improve a weak run defense? Umm have an offense that is on the field more.

Well they wouldn't be improving the 1st string but you figure 2nd string would improve. Most good teams now have 2 solid RB's anyway.

Don't get me wrong I'd much rather have Peterson or Lynch, but I would understand what this team is trying to do if they go for Brown. And since Marv did well last year I'm giving him the benifit of the doubt this year.

jpdex12
03-22-2007, 07:32 AM

The words of Jesus Christ! AMEN!

So long Shaud.

Dr. Lecter
03-22-2007, 07:36 AM
If they sign Brown, forget about Peterson or Lynch.

GOD please DONT sign him..

Maybe, maybe not.

Even so, Brown/Thomas/Booker (or other rookie) would not be too bad.

If the Bills have a draft of Okoye, Siler, Booker, WR/CB that would not be horrible and would make me happy.

The bad news is Brown is as fragile as Ken Griffey. He is fine when not injured, but that is rare.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 07:40 AM
If they sign brown they could draft leon hall :puke:

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 07:42 AM
dont kid yourself.. did having henry and brown stop the titans from taking lendale white?

if peterson is there.. the bills take him.

RockStar36
03-22-2007, 07:47 AM
The bad news is Brown is as fragile as Ken Griffey. He is fine when not injured, but that is rare.

Exactly. If the Bills sign him you might as well bank on him getting hurt be week 4 or 5.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Exactly. If the Bills sign him you might as well bank on him getting hurt be week 4 or 5.They should just put him on IR now and save themselves sometime.

THATHURMANATOR
03-22-2007, 07:51 AM
Brown, Thomas, Jackson, Williams, Draft Pick? Sounds a bit crowded... gives hope to Leonard though, since he could serve as the FB in that situation.
Why even mention Jackson or Williams? They wouldn't be a factor. They would be cut.

patmoran2006
03-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Whatever we do, **** Chris Brown.

I'd rather have Dr Lecter running the ball.

DraftBoy
03-22-2007, 07:54 AM
We sign Brown and Peterson doest fall we dont go RB till Round 3, mark it down

patmoran2006
03-22-2007, 07:56 AM
We sign Brown and Peterson doest fall we dont go RB till Round 3, mark it down
Possibly even later..

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 07:58 AM
how funny would it be to see that chris brown just needs a different running back coach to work with him.. or a different trainer..

the guy is productive when healthy.

and his injuries have not been serious. they have been minor things that are not IR worthy.

behind this line, you guys could all be eating crow.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 08:02 AM
how funny would it be to see that chris brown just needs a different running back coach to work with him.. or a different trainer..

and his injuries have not been serious. they have been minor things that are not IR worthy.

behind this line, you guys could all be eating crow.History says he'll be on the trainers table much more then the football field. If they do sign him it better be on the cheap.

mayotm
03-22-2007, 08:05 AM

behind this line, you guys could all be eating crow.I agree, Brown has some talent. His injuries are a concern, but he could be very productive if he's healthy. Plus, A. Peterson hasn't exactly been healthy during his career yet everybody seems to be giving him a pass. Signing Brown would enable the Bills to go DT and LB in the first two rounds. They could still get a decent back in round 3.

Talk0fNewYork
03-22-2007, 08:07 AM
History says he'll be on the trainers table much more then the football field. If they do sign him it better be on the cheap.Obviously

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Obviously I wish it was, i hear the hold up in signing him is the guy wants some coin. He's done nothing to earn it. The bills better sign him for cheap, or not even bother having the converstation.

mysticsoto
03-22-2007, 08:10 AM

I fully agree with you. Signing Brown would be a likely show that we are biding our time to get our franchise RB next year. If Brown even lasts half the season, he will do well and A-Train, Fred Jackson or a rookie can take over from there until next year.

I have no aspirations in signing a mediocre rookie in the 1st or 2nd rounds and take away from positions that we can place a serious defensive player to help our poor run-D that we had last year. Behind a better Oline, even an average back can do okay and in truth, Chris Brown minus the injuries is a pretty good back.

My only worry is the contract. I want to make sure that it is structured so he doesn't kill us if he gets injured. Let him earn his pay. If he gets a certain number of 100 yds games - give him a bonus...if he breaks the 1000 yd mark, give him another bonus, etc...and the RB coach should work with him to teach him when to go down to avoid getting injured... :)

alohabillsfan
03-22-2007, 08:11 AM

The best way to do that is to upgrade the offensive line... Me thinks OBD did that! Which improves the RB, WR, QB, and TE, additionally with a few sustained drives improves the defense! It's about the team, not just 20% of the equation IE. we need a run stuffer that does not fit the defense.

Jan Reimers
03-22-2007, 08:19 AM
I think the Brown signing would allow us to get much needed help on D - and perhaps even at WR - early in the draft, and a RB a little later. It would at least give us more flexibility.

If the rookie RB turns out to be "diamond in the rough," fine. If not, the 2008 draft is very deep at RB.

BAM
03-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Great post, Jan!

This wouldn't totally disappoint me.

SquishDaFish
03-22-2007, 08:24 AM
If we do sign him and dont draft peterson or Lynch then I hope we draft darius walker later in the draft.

patmoran2006
03-22-2007, 08:37 AM
PISS on Chris Brown and any other recycle bin FA.. Didnt we learn from last year?

I'd rather have 9 7th round rookies than 9 Chris Browns

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2007, 08:40 AM
You're assuming Jackson is gonna make the roster.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 08:41 AM
PISS on Chris Brown and any other recycle bin FA.. Didnt we learn from last year?

I'd rather have 9 7th round rookies than 9 Chris Browns

you would need about 12 chris browns to keep one of them on the field all year.

Philagape
03-22-2007, 08:48 AM
-- Chris Brown's injuries have been worse than "serious" ... things like turf toe and hamstring, which aren't "serious" enough to put him on IR but linger for a while and hamper his production. Better for a guy to break a leg, sit out and come back 100 percent.

-- Because of his injury history, I don't think signing Brown would affect our draft plans either way. I figure he would be only a part-time back. Reports have been saying he's been looking for more than teams are willing to give him; he's obviously not a feature back anymore, so I don't see why he's significant enough to keep a team from drafting a RB where they were planning to anyway. Any contract Brown signs better be low-risk, low-commitment and heavy on incentives.

-- I agree with the idea that if we build up the line enough, we can put anyone back there. But Dockery's the only new lineman who's earned any confidence; the right side is still a huge question mark.

bigbub2352
03-22-2007, 08:54 AM
If we sign Chris Brown it is adding veteran competion at the postion, we are not gonna break the bank for him, and he is only 25-26, we draft a Rb in the first day to compete, and who know u might not see Shaud Williams, or Fred Jackson make this team, u look at other(successful) teams rosters and they have 3 capable rbs on the roster, not 1, i am all in favor of adding talent to the roster, may it be Veteran or rookie, the more the better,

He can play in this league and if he stay healthy would be a great addition ot the team

acehole
03-22-2007, 08:58 AM
I would be ok also. Next years draft class is rumored to be full of Rb's and Turner if not traded will be an ufa. We need to get this cover two to click and we are missing an interior pass rush and a middle linebacker who can cover. Ie no warren sapp yet or Urlacker. We could end up with okiyio(spl) (Who would rotate with Tripplet) next to a heathy mcargo would also upgrade youbody instantly with a pass rush......and pos in the second a Chris speielmen type who can stop the run and cover. With our new O-line the 2nd teir guys might have sucess and compition allways makes guys better. We have options.....

Ultra Chimp 1
03-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Chris Brown is so freaking bad.

Saratoga Slim
03-22-2007, 09:21 AM
dont kid yourself.. did having henry and brown stop the titans from taking lendale white?

if peterson is there.. the bills take him.

I agree 100%.

It might not even stop them from taking Marshawn Lynch, if they really like him.
Look at it this way, any rookie we bring in, whether its a 1st rounder or 3rd rounder, is probably only going to be a marginal contributor for the first 6-8 games. Most of the rookies last year, with the possible exception of Maroney, didn't really contribute until later in the season. The front office knows A-Train shouldn't be relied upon as the featured back, so signing Chris Brown might be just insurance for A-Train until the rookie gets up to speed.

I still wish we signed Travis Henry.

Don't Panic
03-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Why even mention Jackson or Williams? They wouldn't be a factor. They would be cut.

I'd be willing to bet 1000 ZBs that at least one of Williams and Jackson is on our opening day roster, even if we draft a back and sign a back.

Elminster
03-22-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm hoping this is true and we conclude a reasonable deal that makes all sides happy. Then we don't have to draft running back when the top of the draft has such great talent at LB and DT. Okoye or Willis becomes the pick, and if either is gone, we can just move down. This increases our flexibility on draft day ALOT people, and it's not like the back himself(Chris Brown) is a scrub. He's a good back. He'll probably get hurt...that's why we have the third running back on our depth chart. Which means it prolly won't be Shaud!

Now I can grin and hope for Okoye on draft day...or Willis. Either'd make me happy. Hell...maybe even a big wide out....

madness
03-22-2007, 10:13 AM
-- Chris Brown's injuries have been worse than "serious" ... things like turf toe and hamstring, which aren't "serious" enough to put him on IR but linger for a while and hamper his production. Better for a guy to break a leg, sit out and come back 100 percent.

-- Because of his injury history, I don't think signing Brown would affect our draft plans either way. I figure he would be only a part-time back. Reports have been saying he's been looking for more than teams are willing to give him; he's obviously not a feature back anymore, so I don't see why he's significant enough to keep a team from drafting a RB where they were planning to anyway. Any contract Brown signs better be low-risk, low-commitment and heavy on incentives.

-- I agree with the idea that if we build up the line enough, we can put anyone back there. But Dockery's the only new lineman who's earned any confidence; the right side is still a huge question mark.

This is the perfect scenario for the Bills. If he can stay healthy, he will contribute significantly. If he goes down, no worries.

I agree that his signing would not change the Bills draft plans in the slightest. It's clear as day that Marv is building for the future and a vet FA RB isn't going to change that no matter how much the blind *****. If the price is right, it's an excellent opportunity to deepen our RB core.

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 10:18 AM
History says he'll be on the trainers table much more then the football field. If they do sign him it better be on the cheap.

camel, the amount of money is a forgone conclusion at this point.. if the bills or anyone were going to offer him good money, he would have signed by now.

he will get back up money, which is what atrain got.. 2 year deal or something like that for a couple million.. peanuts in todays market.

my point is.. the guy is a very skilled running back. he was not drafted high because he sucked, and he didnt get 1100 yards in 10 games because he sucked either.

he has had MINOR injuries plague him.. i just cant see, with the state of our running game right now, how getting him wouldnt make us better.

would you agree, that behind this improved line, and based on the production that he has had when on the field, he could be a 1400 yard back over 16 games?

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 10:21 AM
you would need about 12 chris browns to keep one of them on the field all year.

ok, that was kinda funny.

:rofl:

BillsFever21
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM

How is it that crowded? Most teams keep 3 running backs and them are only 4 names. I hope you're not suggesting that all 4 of them guys are options that have a good chance of competing for the starting job when you say it's a crowded backfield. When you say a position is crowded that's usually what somebody means that the competition for a starting job is crowded with too many people. If that's the case then we're definitely in a lot of trouble.

Williams and Jackson are absolutely no options for being a starter or even a backup. Most teams they wouldn't even have a roster spot on. I sure hope there isn't even a remote thought of Thomas being are starting RB. Chris Brown might be adequate as a 2nd string guy to help share the load with the starter if he can even stay healthy. He definitely isn't an every down back. He can barely even last the entire season when he's sharing carries with somebody let alone as a starter.

If them are our options that would create a crowded backfield then we're definitely in trouble and I feel very sorry for our offense and especially JP Losman. It's bad enough playing behind a poor OL especially with somebody like our 25 million dollar RT who gives up 11 sacks a year but to not even have a RB to take any heat off him that really makes for a bad year coming up.

We've created more holes this season then we have filled. We signed an upgrade at guard even though we grossly overpaid him. Just because he's an upgrade doesn't make him one of the top guards in the game even though we paid him that way.

Even though we paid tons of money to a RT he isn't much of an upgrade if one at all. 11 sacks isn't an upgrade. We paid him more money then Jason Peters though.

So we got rid of our best CB, our best LB and our best RB without no replacements for any of them. All we got in return for it was an overpaid upgrade at guard and an overpaid non-upgrade at RT. Just because it's somebody different it doesn't make them an upgrade. So our OL might be slightly upgraded but barely and at a huge cost but we are even weaker now on defense with 3 huge holes and nobody behind them.

This team has taken another step back from last year. Everytime we take a step foward(2nd year under GW, 1st year under Mularkey) we take 2 steps back the next year. This roster is far worse now then it was at the end of the season. Cap money certaintly wasn't the reason for it. Lack of willing to spend the money was.

And don't say we went all out just because we overpaid a guard 7 million a year, a RT 5 million a year and a DE 6 million a year. About 10 million of that money was saved by the departures of McGahee, Clements and Fletcher from what they made last year and another 4.5 of that money will be made up with the future departure of Spikes.

So we dumped about 15 million in salary from last year by trading guys or not caring about re-signing them and paying them the money and replaced that money from them guys gone with Kelsay, Walker and Dockery. After them 4 guys leaving the team we still will have about the same money in players wrapped up as we did last year. Their replacements will be with cheap guys from the draft.

Now had we not lost any fairly high priced players like them or had kept them/re-signed them AND added Dockery and Walker to the roster then that would be going out and spending some cash. We have to spend some cash. We can't go into the year 30 million dollars under the cap and not sign anybody to a fairly high contract. The city and the players union wouldn't really go for that. We still cheaped out by giving them higher cap number this year then needed and we will still go into the year well under the cap.

So although they fooled enough people into thinking they went out and spent a ton of more money then last year by signing a few players in reality they didn't really add anymore payroll to their team then we had last year.

All it takes it having 3 or so higher salaries on your team leave and use that money to sign some new guys to millions and they can fool enough people into actually thinking that we're not cheap and spending many millions more then last year.

gr8slayer
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm still not that excited about the idea of having Chris Brown.

camelcowboy
03-22-2007, 10:40 AM
camel, the amount of money is a forgone conclusion at this point.. if the bills or anyone were going to offer him good money, he would have signed by now.

he will get back up money, which is what atrain got.. 2 year deal or something like that for a couple million.. peanuts in todays market.

my point is.. the guy is a very skilled running back. he was not drafted high because he sucked, and he didnt get 1100 yards in 10 games because he sucked either.

he has had MINOR injuries plague him.. i just cant see, with the state of our running game right now, how getting him wouldnt make us better.

would you agree, that behind this improved line, and based on the production that he has had when on the field, he could be a 1400 yard back over 16 games?

I felt the same about willis, with all the crap that came out of his mouth. I did want to see him behind a improved offensive line. Brown is a good back when healthy, on the cheap he would help this team. To be honest most of my hatred for Brown stems from the fact that if we sign him the chances of us taking Lynch decrease dramatically. "I like Lynch alot" I like Peterson too but i really don't believe he'll be there at twelve. Bottom line the o-line is going to make all the difference in the world, but Brown from history gives me no reason to believe he can play most of the year. So i believe A-train will be receiving most of the carriers this year, and i would have just rather kept McGahee. Now if the Bills draft Leon Hall it will pretty much kill me, because Patrick Willis i believe will be gone, along with Okoye if they bills don't take lynch then they may take a corner which will anger me to no end.

patmoran2006
03-22-2007, 10:43 AM
http://www.thestranger.com/blog/files/2006/10/MU026_FULL_BODY_CAST1.jpg

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Imagine signing Brown and drafting Peterson? By game 4 we could have neither. :ill:

That is not to say I'm opposed to signing Brown, but we can have TWO injury prone guys cuz then we have no depth.

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 10:47 AM
i like lynch and peterson too.. but there are risks with both of them as well that have to be acknowledged.

say we dont sign brown.. we draft one.. and lynch has a back issue or peterson gets hurt.. then what?

atrain and shaud williams all season?

i just dont think that the signing of brown to small money = not taking a running back in this draft if they like him.

Michael82
03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Imagine signing Brown and drafting Peterson? By game 4 we could have neither. :ill:

That is not to say I'm opposed to signing Brown, but we can have TWO injury prone guys cuz then we have no depth.
or how about signing Brown and then drafting Michael Bush in round 3? :ill:

They'd both be on IR by week 2. :snicker:

Don't Panic
03-22-2007, 10:57 AM
How is it that crowded?

If the draft pick is high profile, especially if its AP or Lynch, then Brown or A-Train serve as our 3rd stringer and Jackson, a guy who may actually be able to do something, will be buried. One of A-Train or Brown is bound to get cut or turn into a cancer (and get cut), meaning we wasted money on the signing in the first place. Meanwhile, we have needs at LB, WR, DT and CB. Doesn't seem logical to bring in Brown and Thomas if you're going to pack in a day one draft pick as well, especially if that pick is our 1st or 2nd. if you want to use one of the 3rds on a higher risk back, OK. That would elad to healthy competition without using a top 50 pick. But if we have plans of drating a guy quickly (1st or 2nd), then bringing in Brown doesn't make much sense.

don137
03-22-2007, 10:59 AM
As long as the Bills do not give big guaranteed dollars I am fine with it. The Bills are just covering all the bases and not feeling like they have to draft an RB in round one to fill the void. They can always cut a player in training camp.

This way going into the draft the Bills can go for great value instead of reaching for a guy because he is a need (for example, maybe they want Bush but want to wait until the 3rd round instead of jumping on him or trading up in round 2). Now with Brown they risk less if he is drafted before its the Bills pick and they don't draft a RB early.
I think this shows Buffalo really wants to address stopping the run early in the draft.

venis2k1
03-22-2007, 11:00 AM
i dont get all the hooplah, outside of his 2004 season, he has averaged just 3.8 ypc as a pro.

Saratoga Slim
03-22-2007, 11:05 AM
i just dont think that the signing of brown to small money = not taking a running back in this draft if they like him.

I've been agreeing with you as I could see us signing Chris Brown AND still drafting AP or ML (though more likely waiting until the 3rd). The only question that's rattling around in my head is "what are they telling Chris Brown that makes him interested in coming here?" He apparently wants carries, and I'd have to think we'd have to promise him carries to get him here. ASSUMING that we plan on drafting a 1st day RB, maybe rookie rotates with Chris Brown, and A-Train is a true backup. That's a possibility I hadn't thought of.

patmoran2006
03-22-2007, 11:07 AM
If brown signs here or elsewhere, its not going to be real cheap.

It will be minimum borderline starter money similar to like Rhodes got in Oakland, IMO

patmoran2006
03-22-2007, 11:07 AM
I've been agreeing with you as I could see us signing Chris Brown AND still drafting AP or ML (though more likely waiting until the 3rd). The only question that's rattling around in my head is "what are they telling Chris Brown that makes him interested in coming here?" He apparently wants carries, and I'd have to think we'd have to promise him carries to get him here. ASSUMING that we plan on drafting a 1st day RB, maybe rookie rotates with Chris Brown, and A-Train is a true backup. That's a possibility I hadn't thought of.
trust me if we sign Chris Brown you can forget about drafting a RB on day one unless its MAYBE our second third rounder.

Piss on him.-I want a real RB on this team.

Dr. Lecter
03-22-2007, 11:08 AM
trust me if we sign Chris Brown you can forget about drafting a RB on day one unless its MAYBE our second third rounder.

Ok. We trust you on predicting the Bills offseason.

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2007, 11:08 AM
If the draft pick is high profile, especially if its AP or Lynch, then Brown or A-Train serve as our 3rd stringer and Jackson, a guy who may actually be able to do something, will be buried. One of A-Train or Brown is bound to get cut or turn into a cancer (and get cut), meaning we wasted money on the signing in the first place. Meanwhile, we have needs at LB, WR, DT and CB. Doesn't seem logical to bring in Brown and Thomas if you're going to pack in a day one draft pick as well, especially if that pick is our 1st or 2nd. if you want to use one of the 3rds on a higher risk back, OK. That would elad to healthy competition without using a top 50 pick. But if we have plans of drating a guy quickly (1st or 2nd), then bringing in Brown doesn't make much sense.
A-train is not a cancer kind of guy. He made no fuss in Chicago and Dallas even though he was screwed in both places. Brown has been very quiet in Tennessee as well. So I'm not worried.

Saratoga Slim
03-22-2007, 11:14 AM

It will be minimum borderline starter money similar to like Rhodes got in Oakland, IMO

How can he justify that after doing nothing last year? Rhodes is coming off a decent campaign and a big Super Bowl performance. Brown had 156 yards on like 40 carries. You may be right that he's not going to sign for A-Train money, but I doubt he'll get a deal similar to Rhodes.

If we sign him for something comparable to A-Train, 1 or 1.5 a year with a small bonus, I'll be fine with it as I think it will mean we see him in the same mold as A-Train.

But if we give him a lot more, I'll be pissed.

Saratoga Slim
03-22-2007, 11:25 AM

I also want a real RB on this team. I'm just leery of McMarshawn gangbanging around Buffalo and don't think Peterson's a realistic possibility at 12. Maybe I'm wrong about Lynch, who knows, just a bad vibe. So I don't like RB options at #12, and I don't see anyone really worth of our 2nd rounder. Thus I see 3rd round as the earliest we'd take an RB anyway.

So if its inevitable that we wait until at least the 3rd to take an RB, signing another decent back (and Chris Brown is decent), would probably leave us better off than A-Train, 3rd-4th rounder, and Shaud.

But if we give Chris Brown a lot of money, I'll be pissed.

madness
Ok. We trust you on predicting the Bills offseason.

Sonny, true love is the greatest thing in the world. Except for a nice MLT, a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky, I love that. But that's not what he said. He distinctly said "to blave." And, as we all know, "to blave" means "to bluff." So you're probably playing cards, and he cheated --

and the next line is...

patmoran2006
I wouldnt give him a pack of gum.

Don't Panic
03-22-2007, 11:27 AM
A-train is not a cancer kind of guy. He made no fuss in Chicago and Dallas even though he was screwed in both places. Brown has been very quiet in Tennessee as well. So I'm not worried.

Good point... both are players who have not complained in the past, but its a chance I'd rather avoid. More than anything, I don't want to use a 1st or 2nd if we already have that crop of RBs.

don137
03-22-2007, 11:27 AM

I disagree that it will be borderline Rhodes money. I think it is a buyers market right now for the RB position. If you are right and it is similar to what Rhodes got then I would agree with you that wasn't great money spent. If the guarantees and salary are low then I am fine with it.

Meathead
03-22-2007, 11:34 AM
i think the bills have played this perfectly

they brought him in and expressed interest but let him walk without a contract. thats obviously because brown feels he has feature back potential and wanted to try other suiters to see if he could get somebody to bite. he didnt and now he comes back to the team that has the biggest hole in the backfield to fill, the bills, with much less leverage

thats exactly why marv and dick have been posturing like they are content with atrain and jackson and williams. they know full well none of those guys can be featured and probably not even an effective tandem. they also have the 12th pick as leverage to fall back on if brown were to remain firm in wanting more than they want to give

i would love this signing because it would mean we would get a young former high round draft pick with something to prove who ran well when healthy at the price we wanted. then they could use the 12 pick on a stud dt or lb and pick up a rb in rounds 3 or 4 to develop and hope they get lucky

the nfl is full of stories of guys who got bit by the injury bug early, were given up on, and yet went on to have very productive careers once they got past that. after watching brown run early in his tenn career the guy obviously has the talent to be featured but hasnt been able to stay on the field and lost the confidence of the coaches as a result. in a tandem with atrain he could be a beast and less exposure to injury

god i hope they sign him to a friendly contract. i will greatly enjoy bludgeoning youse mercilessly with :rockout: *****es lmao

BAM
03-22-2007, 11:35 AM

they brought him in and expressed interest but let him walk without a contract. thats obviously because brown feels he has feature back potential and wanted to try other suiters to see if he could get somebody to bite. he didnt and now he comes back to the team that has the biggest hole in the backfield to fill, the bills, with much less leverage

thats exactly why marv and dick have been posturing like they are content with atrain and jackson and williams. they know full well none of those guys can be featured and probably not even an effective tandem. they also have the 12th pick as leverage to fall back on if brown were to remain firm in wanting more than they want to give

i would love this signing because it would mean we would get a young former high round draft pick with something to prvoe who ran well when healthy at the price we wanted. then they could use the 12 pick on a stud dt or lb and pick up a rb in rounds 3 or 4 to develop and hope they get lucky

the nfl is full of stories of guys who got bit by the injury bug early, were given up on, and yet went on to have very productive careers once they got past that. after watching brown run early in his tenn career the guy obviously has the talent to be featured but hasnt been able to stay on the field and lost the confidence of the coaches as a result. in a tandem with atrain he could be a beast and less exposure to injury

god i hope they sign him to a friendly contract. i will greatly enjoy bludgeoning youse mercilessly with :rockout: *****es lmao

awesome

ddaryl
03-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I'd still like ot have a bonafied featured back, but if we have A-Train and Chris Brown behind Buffalo's new OL we can focus on filling D holes with our draft and look to 2008 for our future featured RB

madness
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
I'd still like ot have a bonafied featured back, but if we have A-Train and Chris Brown behind Buffalo's new OL we can focus on filling D holes with our draft and look to 2008 for our future featured RB

Dick said on Sirius he'd like to get a couple vets AND draft a back this year. I know the ladies don't trust Dick but I don't see why we can't.

ddaryl
03-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Dick said on Sirius he'd like to get a couple vets AND draft a back this year. I know the ladies don't trust Dick but I don't see why we can't.

They might not trust Dick but ya know they love Richard

Tatonka
03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
i dont get all the hooplah, outside of his 2004 season, he has averaged just 3.8 ypc as a pro.

if you take away Tomlinsons touchdowns this season, he really had a bad year.

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2007, 01:46 PM
if you take away Tomlinsons touchdowns this season, he really had a bad year.
If you take away all the benching and injury and sacks and interceptions, Culpepper was a freaking stud for Miami last year.

ShadowHawk7
03-22-2007, 01:56 PM
If Peterson is still there after we sign Brown, just IMAGINE the trade offers we'd be getting. We could possibly have 5 or 6 first day picks with a trade like that. Even if we still got Peterson after signing Brown, I'd be a happy man. Brown gives us a lot of flexibility and has the potential to be a solid starter in the NFL.

ShadowHawk7
03-22-2007, 01:57 PM

i would love this signing because it would mean we would get a young former high round draft pick with something to prove who ran well when healthy at the price we wanted. then they could use the 12 pick on a stud dt or lb and pick up a rb in rounds 3 or 4 to develop and hope they get lucky

My goodness, best post of the week IMO.

Italian Stallion
03-22-2007, 01:59 PM
If Peterson is still there after we sign Brown, just IMAGINE the trade offers we'd be getting. We could possibly have 5 or 6 first day picks with a trade like that. Even if we still got Peterson after signing Brown, I'd be a happy man. Brown gives us a lot of flexibility and has the potential to be a solid starter in the NFL.

Totally AGREE.

You know that some team would be falling all over themselves to aquire that pick to draft AP. We could easily net a 2nd rounder and more. With some of the deep talented prospects in this draft at WR, RB and LB that would be a dream come true.

bigbub2352
03-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Exactly, we could fill some serious holes and depth questions with those picks, and depending on who falls were, still land someone we coveted

Meathead
03-22-2007, 06:10 PM
My goodness, best post of the week IMO.
ever

GarnOFreak
03-22-2007, 07:09 PM

Seriously? behind THIS line we could be eating a horse......nobody would see us....de iz big! :deadhorse

GarnOFreak
03-22-2007, 07:42 PM
and the next line is...

LIAR!

HHURRICANE
03-22-2007, 08:39 PM
If, if, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, if

Too many "ifs" for me.

realdealryan
03-22-2007, 09:12 PM
If, if, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, ifif, if, if

Too many "ifs" for me.

That's too much typing. Agree with the 46 different points of contention and possible change and draft-day scenarios and mocks and blah blah....

....but if it's not Chris Brown, it's going to be some other vet that nobody will be happy with. We have a need at this position and we will sign someone. We all need to remember:

LaDainian Tomlinson is not a free agent! So quit *****ing about who we MIGHT sign!

Marvelous
03-22-2007, 09:55 PM
They should just put him on IR now and save themselves sometime.
:lol: