PDA

View Full Version : Concerns if peterson were to slip to us

lightningbolt444
03-22-2007, 11:00 AM
ive been reading about him more and more also watching some film i know oaklahoma was a run first pass second dteam with him but he only caught around 39 passes while he was with them in a three year span. Also i have read that his blocking is very suspect as in he dodedsnt block well all of the time. I think his injuries were fluke injuries and there not naging like a knee but i really have some worries if hes going to come in here and be a willis type player one who doesnt block well and cant run a pass route

Strengths:
Has very good size and a big frame...Is extremely strong and powerful...A tough runner who looks for contact and will deliver a blow...Has terrific speed and can run away from defenders...Is explosive with a burst...A natural runner with great vision and instincts...Displays phenomenal balance and patience...Has the ability to be a true workhorse and he seems to get better as the game goes on...Is able to run effectively inside and outside...Soft hands and has potential as a receiver.

Weaknesses:
Durability is a major concern and he was unable to even make it through a entire college season healthy...Runs too high and he will leave himself open to some big hits...Did not get many opportunities as a pass catcher and he's not a great route runner...Not real nifty and won't make people miss...Blocking leaves something to be desired...Already has quite a bit of mileage on his tires...A boom or bust type?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/adrianpeterson.html

just one report i have seen but all are basiclly the same and if you really really watch his film not his highlights but game film they are right on the money

Pinkerton Security
03-22-2007, 11:35 AM
I just feel like he has been one of the most dominant pure RB's to come out of college in a few years, and if we had the opportunity, it would be an extremely tough pass, even with these concerns. in some scouting reports i have read recently of LT, they had durability concerns with him, just as they do with many backs. I guess I do share your concern over nagging injuries, but I just dont think we can pass on him given the opportunity.

lightningbolt444
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
i agree with you on the fact we cant pass him up and i accually dont have a concer about injuries at all i think they were flukes to happen two years in a row im more concerned with the lack of pass catching ( not saying he cant catch just hasent done much of it) and lack of blocking. Although i think he is a great talent i still have concern however all players have a weakness so you just wait to see if their strengths overshadow their weaknesses

patmoran2006
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
I will take my chances.. He potentially is a Top 5 RB in this league.

TigerJ
03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I read one report (can't remember which one) which suggested that during the latter part of his senior year, he seemed to finally get it that he didn't always have to run through the defender, that he had enough quickness to avoid contact, make more yards and save his body in the process. That was encouraging to me.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I wish people would put an asterisk next to his injury last year. The guy tried to do a summersault into the endzone and landed on his shoulder, which in turn busted the collar bone. It was more pure stupidity. I think if he was there and the Bills past, it would be a big mistake. Not only is he a great back with size and speed, but the guy is not a thug and he carried a 3.5 GPA (maybe higher). He has Marv written all over him.

mayotm
03-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I find it interesting that many people are willing to give Peterson a complete pass on his injuries. Yet, the same people don't want the Bills to even consider Chris Brown. Many have suggested that Brown is too injury prone. Others maintain that he just sucks. Some numbers to consider:

Brown's best season at Colorado:

1744 yards 18 td's 6.3 ypc

Peterson's best season at Oklahoma:

1925 yard 15 td's 5.7 ypc

Brown has talent. Perhaps he just needs a change of scenery. It happens all the time in professional sports.

Devin
03-22-2007, 01:00 PM
I find it interesting that many people are willing to give Peterson a complete pass on his injuries. Yet, the same people don't want the Bills to even consider Chris Brown. Many have suggested that Brown is too injury prone. Others maintain that he just sucks. Some numbers to consider:

Brown's best season at Colorado:

1744 yards 18 td's 6.3 ypc

Peterson's best season at Oklahoma:

1925 yard 15 td's 5.7 ypc

Brown has talent. Perhaps he just needs a change of scenery. It happens all the time in professional sports.

Im skeptical of Peterson for the same reasons many are, there have been tons of great RB's that dominated in college that flopped in the pros.

I wont be upset if we take him, but I certainly wont be upset if we pass on him.

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Runs too high and he will leave himself open to some big hits...Did not get many opportunities as a pass catcher and he's not a great route runner...Not real nifty and won't make people miss...Blocking leaves something to be desired.
That says Chris Brown all over it.

Saratoga Slim
03-22-2007, 01:13 PM
I wish people would put an asterisk next to his injury last year. The guy tried to do a summersault into the endzone and landed on his shoulder, which in turn busted the collar bone. It was more pure stupidity. I think if he was there and the Bills past, it would be a big mistake. Not only is he a great back with size and speed, but the guy is not a thug and he carried a 3.5 GPA (maybe higher). He has Marv written all over him.

If he's there and we pass, we're stupid. He'll be a major weapon for us.

I'm very high on Okoye, and think that if he does in fact turn into a Tommie Harris style DT, he could be the difference between an average Cover 2 and a really good one. We need dominance from the front 4. But I'd still be pretty hesitant to skip on Peterson to take Okoye.

ShadowHawk7
03-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Excellent post. Brown signing would really allow us to aggressively draft defensively.

gr8slayer
03-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I will take my chances.. He potentially is a Top 5 RB in this league.
So was McGahee, didn't work out too well.

Give me Lynch.

lightningbolt444
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
heres why even if peterson is there and so is okoye i take okoye one hes younger , two running backs are a dime a dozen theres only two running back in this league that arnt expendable , three we need a force on the defensive line and we can build our defence around okoye or willis. they need to build the offense around jp and lee evans not a running back in my opinon you dont need an elite back to win in this league just a good one which we already have