PDA

View Full Version : Al Wilson on the Block?

Scumbag College
03-22-2007, 10:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2808991

Don't know if anyone else posted this...

He's 29 and the article says he's due 5.2 Mil base salary this year, but is pretty fast for a MLB. I think he'd be a good fit in the Cover 2 scheme and seems to be a team leader, like Fletcher was. His agent says a number of teams are interested, but the article specifically stated only the Lions, Eagles, and Giants as being interested.

I doubt it would happen for Buffalo, but just hypothetically I'd do it for one of the thirds we have.

Philagape
03-22-2007, 10:46 PM
he's due 5.2 Mil base salary this year

There goes that idea

patmoran2006
03-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Very good player.
Will never happen. Even though we got more cap room that everyone else save a handful of teams.

Like it or not.. "Cash to cap" We aint spending $5 million on another player, ESPECIALLY in a scenario that involves keeping Spikes.

We'll end up trading Spike for money if we sign anybody of any significance, and still may dump his salary even if we dont.

Trading for a playmaker like Wilson makes too much sense.. Why address another hole in FA to make it possible to take a guy like Lynch at 12.. We will just fill ALL of our holes through the draft.

Scumbag College
03-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Very good player.
Will never happen. Even though we got more cap room that everyone else save a handful of teams.

Like it or not.. "Cash to cap" We aint spending $5 million on another player, ESPECIALLY in a scenario that involves keeping Spikes.

We'll end up trading Spike for money if we sign anybody of any significance, and still may dump his salary even if we dont.

Trading for a playmaker like Wilson makes too much sense.. Why address another hole in FA to make it possible to take a guy like Lynch at 12.. We will just fill ALL of our holes through the draft.

Darn you and your logic patmoran!

I do agree 100 percent, though. But, if it meant cutting Spikes and giving up a third round pick, it should be considered. If the FO and DJ aren't sold on starting Ellison next year, then they can use the second round pick to compete with Ellison on a OLB like Alexander, Siler, etc and still have two solid starters in Wilson and Crowell.

Philagape
03-22-2007, 10:53 PM
If he's over budget, no football-related argument matters.

Jan Reimers
03-23-2007, 06:26 AM
I really don't think every personnel decision comes down strictly to money, although our "cash to cap" budget certainly plays a role. Wilson, for instance, is approaching 30 and has quite a bit of wear and tear.

Is he worth $5 Mil, or is a 22 year old Patrick Willis or Buster Davis a better investment? I think it's a cost/benefit thing.