• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Thurman on McGahee and the Trade

Some good stuff in here.

"I wasn't really surprised," Thomas said. "I just think Marv (Levy), and the fans, and some of the people in the organization just had had it with his attitude. "As a former player I would never say something like the team should move to Toronto, or say I'm the best running back in the league no matter what. I just think Marv wants character guys and he said that from day one."
    This just shows the difference in attitude between the two.

"I talked to him a lot when he first got here and he was going through his rehab for his knee and I thought he was a great kid," Thomas said. "He was sitting there talking to me and we had a great conversation, but it seemed like after he got playing, and then with the Travis Henry thing, it just seemed like he got more confidence and he changed a little."
    Thomas had not spoken to McGahee recently, and he regrets that when he heard some of the things McGahee had said, that he didn't call to offer him some advice. "I wish I could have talked to him," Thomas said. "I know Buffalo is not a glamour place to play, but you can make it glamorous by having a good football team. That's what we did when we were here, even though we didn't win a Super Bowl. If Marv would have called me and asked me to talk to him, I would have."
    I had no problem with McGahee his first couple years here. It just shows that he had a little success and it went to his head. Thats the shame of it all.

They really don't have (a feature back) right now," Thomas said. "I don't know what Marv is going to do with the draft, maybe he can find a sleeper, but I would have liked to see McGahee stay here just because of the offensive linemen they brought in. "He could have done a good job. That's not to say Anthony Thomas or anybody they bring in here won't do a good job, but you need a guy like McGahee, a No. 1 running back in the league. I probably would have waited another year

I don't think Thurman realizes that he would have been a FA next year.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Re: Thurman on McGahee and the Trade

I think what it goes to show you what an agent like Drew Rosenhaus will do for your attitude.

Comment

• JoeMama
      Emotion Sickness
      • Oct 2002

Thurman Thomas is the best.

Even though the Butler regime stabbed him in the back, he's still a pro-Buffalo guy.

When you think back to his release, it's reprehensible how OBD handled it.

They didn't even contact him beforehand. He learned of his release from the team he dedicated his entire career to via the ESPN ticker.

Which is shameful.

But as you can tell, he seems to have a lot of fondness for Marv Levy and the Bills regardless.

I appreciate his insight on the McGahee trade. He makes a lot of sense.
      Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

Maybe McGahee should have been a partying drunk. Thomas talking about McGahee's character is laughable.

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

I love Thurman, what a classy guy. He can knock a guy down a rung with out coming off like a *****.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Romes
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
            Maybe McGahee should have been a partying drunk. Thomas talking about McGahee's character is laughable.
            If partying drunk is an indication of bad character I'm a horrible, horrible person.
            Originally posted by paladin warrior
            RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Bulldog
              Top Dog
              • Jan 2003

I rather be a partying drunk than father three children with three different women in a span of a year.
              I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Thurman talked trash but never towards the organization. He always showed up to play as well.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

Nothing wrong with having sex.

Big deal McGahee thinks he's in the NBA.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

Thomas wasn't perfect as a player. He got down on himself and the team when they struggled in the Super Bowl, and his attitude was not always that of a consumate team player. After football he had problems with alcohol abuse, but he was worlds better than McGahee.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

Shows you how far Thurman has matured. I personally don't think anyone could of saved McGahee. Between Rosenhaus for an agent and hanging with his boys from the U he had arrogance all over him.
                      Personally I was never that enamored with him. I got frustrated with his poor blitz pickups, his hesitation at the line and his unwillingness to fight for the extra yard.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        Thurman talked trash but never towards the organization. He always showed up to play as well.
                        Right....Thurman just signed with our arch rivial instead.

Showed up with a hangover. How can anyone go out partying before the biggest game of their lives?

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                          Thomas wasn't perfect as a player. He got down on himself and the team when they struggled in the Super Bowl, and his attitude was not always that of a consumate team player. After football he had problems with alcohol abuse, but he was worlds better than McGahee.
                          Agreed.

Thomas was better than McGahee because Thomas perfomed. Thomas got to play with players like Jim Kelly, Kent Hull, Wil Wolford, Howard Ballard, R. Brown, Andre Reed, James Lofton, Don Beebe etc...

McGahee got to play with JP Lomsan, Chris Villarrial, Mike Williams, Tutan Reyes ,Mike Gandy, Bennie Anderson, Josh Reed, P. Price.

Comment

• JoeMama
                            Emotion Sickness
                            • Oct 2002

This is the NFL - not the Vienna Boy's Choir.

Some players like to party and drink in their free time. Just like most of us here on BFZ.

Jim Kelly was probably the biggest party animal on the team in the 1990's - as well as a character guy.

You don't have to be Ned Flanders to have character.

Thomas had some issues.

But it's not like he's in the wrong for making very diplomatic comments about the McGahee trade.
                            Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Right....Thurman just signed with our arch rivial instead.

Showed up with a hangover. How can anyone go out partying before the biggest game of their lives?
                              he signed with whoever hired him since the bills didn't even offer him a contract. He was no longer a bill. Willis was still a bill.
                              Even drunk he was 100% on gameday.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X