PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Lewis Welcomes Tougher Discipline Rules

gr8slayer
03-23-2007, 08:45 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/22/bc.fbn.lewis.nfldiscipl.ap/index.html

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, his team plagued last year by off-field problems, would welcome tougher NFL discipline.

Commissioner Roger Goodell could announce initiatives next week that will allow him to impose quicker and stronger discipline to players. Lewis said players should know that they face tough punishment from the league for bad behavior.

"I think that's the thing that coaches and people are looking (for) from the league," said Lewis, who had nine players arrested in less than a year. "Commissioner Goodell said he hopes that is something he can get through. I think the one thing that everybody knows is that when you take away the stage -- which we've done here when we've had a guy have a problem and those indiscretions occur on my time -- then they've lost the chance to play on that particular Sunday."

Goodell could begin imposing discipline earlier than in the past, when the NFL has waited for legal steps to be finished before imposing fines and/or suspensions.

User Manuel
03-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Nothing like putting the onus on the league for Marvin's and the Bengals front office's unwillingness to deal with the situation.

Of course he's happy. Now if these guys get suspended Marvin is no longer the "bad" guy.

They should simply term these new rules the "Bengal Rules" though "Pac-Man" certainly did his part.