X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Lions To Keep Thanksgiving Slot

The Lions don't appear to face any threat to their leadoff position on the Thanksgiving Day schedule.

There has been speculation the Lions' six-year losing streak might prompt the NFL to move the team back on the three-game holiday schedule, primarily because the major broadcast networks would want a more attractive opponent.

That does not appear to be any sentiment for discussion at the NFL meetings, which begin Monday in Phoenix.

"I don't think there's any proposal or agenda item for the league on that," NFL representative Greg Aiello said Wednesday.

The Lions were hosts for the first Thanksgiving game when they moved to Detroit in 1934. Dallas added a second game in 1966. Last year, the NFL added a third game and put it on the NFL Network.

FOX and CBS rotate coverage of the first two games.

The Lions haven't shown any concern about being moved on the Thanksgiving schedule because the issue never has been brought up within the NFL, only from media speculation.

"It's never come up in any substantive fashion," said Tom Lewand, chief operating officer for the Lions.
  • don137
    • Jul 2002

Re: Lions To Keep Thanksgiving Slot

Makes no sense to have team run by Matt Millen that stinks year in and year out play on a day that was made for football...It's like having New Mexico State play a college football game every New Years Day.

Comment

• casdhf
      • Jul 2002

It's tradition.
      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• superbills
        • Mar 2003

It's tradition.
        I say we start a new tradition and ban the Lions and crappy football from Thanksgiving broadcasts.

It would be better for all things good and Holy to not have the Lions on my television on Turkey Day. That would be something to truly be thankful for.
        "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
        Ronald Reagan
        40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• Marvelous
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by superbills
          I say we start a new tradition and ban the Lions and crappy football from Thanksgiving broadcasts.

It would be better for all things good and Holy to not have the Lions on my television on Turkey Day. That would be something to truly be thankful for.
          I support tradition. +It's teh only guaranteed time i'll watch the Lions..

---Didn't those crappy Lions beat us last year...
          GO BILLS!!! NE
          Magical Trevor

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Marvelous
            I support tradition. +It's teh only guaranteed time i'll watch the Lions..

---Didn't those crappy Lions beat us last year...
            Everything before the bye week does not count

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

**** tradition. Everybody, including Detroit fans, is sick of watching the Lions. They suck. They can never even play competitively on Thanksgiving, as evidenced by their blowout loss to the hapless Dolphins last November.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

They said that the Lions were the only one who accepted it when it was offered first which is why they will keep that tradition unless the lions wants out.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• JoeMama
                  Emotion Sickness
                  • Oct 2002

The Lions on Thanksgiving - the epitome of slavery to routine.
                  Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• feldspar
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JoeMama
                    The Lions on Thanksgiving - the epitome of slavery to routine.
                    At one time, slavery itself was also a tradition.

Just because something is a tradition is no reason whatsoever to continue it.

Look what the NFL did to Monday Night Football this year.

I think abolishing slavery was a good tradition to break, and so will abolishing Detroit Lions football on Thanksgiving. While we are at it, we can also abolish Dallas Cowboys football on Thanksgiving. It bothers me that these two teams have a monopoly in this area.

I think they should mix it up and have different teams play every year.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to see the Bills on Turkey Day?

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I'd ban Dallas before Detroit. Much rather watch the Lions, I don't care how bad they are. Screw the Cowboys.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                        short bus extraordinaire
                        • Jul 2002

it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without detroit and dallas.i don't like either team but i'll stick with tradition.
                        Originally posted by yordad
                        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Buffatexas
                          • Aug 2002

I would not want the Bills on T-Day...too much going on in the house to even sit down and try to enjoy the game...and forget buying tix for my entire family if it was at the Ralph

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

it's really a good situation for the NFL. They put a good team up against the Lions on thanksgiving. Hopefully there is a lot of scoring and people fell good while they are full of turkey.

Comment

• realdealryan
                              realdealrex
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by casdhf
                              It's tradition.
                              So is my destruction of 3 lbs of turkey and 12 beers, subsequent passing out on the couch and farting myself into Friday. But that doesn't make watching me try to figure out why there is cranberry sauce in my pants the next morning good television. Boot the Lions!

Comment

Working...
                              X