PDA

View Full Version : Lions To Keep Thanksgiving Slot

gr8slayer
03-23-2007, 09:10 AM
The Lions don't appear to face any threat to their leadoff position on the Thanksgiving Day schedule.

There has been speculation the Lions' six-year losing streak might prompt the NFL to move the team back on the three-game holiday schedule, primarily because the major broadcast networks would want a more attractive opponent.

That does not appear to be any sentiment for discussion at the NFL meetings, which begin Monday in Phoenix.

"I don't think there's any proposal or agenda item for the league on that," NFL representative Greg Aiello said Wednesday.

The Lions were hosts for the first Thanksgiving game when they moved to Detroit in 1934. Dallas added a second game in 1966. Last year, the NFL added a third game and put it on the NFL Network.

FOX and CBS rotate coverage of the first two games.

The Lions haven't shown any concern about being moved on the Thanksgiving schedule because the issue never has been brought up within the NFL, only from media speculation.

"It's never come up in any substantive fashion," said Tom Lewand, chief operating officer for the Lions.

don137
03-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Makes no sense to have team run by Matt Millen that stinks year in and year out play on a day that was made for football...It's like having New Mexico State play a college football game every New Years Day.

casdhf
03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
It's tradition.

superbills
03-23-2007, 10:22 AM
It's tradition.

I say we start a new tradition and ban the Lions and crappy football from Thanksgiving broadcasts.

It would be better for all things good and Holy to not have the Lions on my television on Turkey Day. That would be something to truly be thankful for.

Marvelous
03-23-2007, 01:13 PM
I say we start a new tradition and ban the Lions and crappy football from Thanksgiving broadcasts.

It would be better for all things good and Holy to not have the Lions on my television on Turkey Day. That would be something to truly be thankful for.
I support tradition. +It's teh only guaranteed time i'll watch the Lions..

---Didn't those crappy Lions beat us last year...

gr8slayer
03-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I support tradition. +It's teh only guaranteed time i'll watch the Lions..

---Didn't those crappy Lions beat us last year...
Everything before the bye week does not count :D

Carlton Bailey
03-23-2007, 01:27 PM
**** tradition. Everybody, including Detroit fans, is sick of watching the Lions. They suck. They can never even play competitively on Thanksgiving, as evidenced by their blowout loss to the hapless Dolphins last November.

justasportsfan
03-23-2007, 02:21 PM
They said that the Lions were the only one who accepted it when it was offered first which is why they will keep that tradition unless the lions wants out.

JoeMama
03-23-2007, 02:25 PM
The Lions on Thanksgiving - the epitome of slavery to routine.

feldspar
03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
The Lions on Thanksgiving - the epitome of slavery to routine.

At one time, slavery itself was also a tradition.

Just because something is a tradition is no reason whatsoever to continue it.

Look what the NFL did to Monday Night Football this year.

I think abolishing slavery was a good tradition to break, and so will abolishing Detroit Lions football on Thanksgiving. While we are at it, we can also abolish Dallas Cowboys football on Thanksgiving. It bothers me that these two teams have a monopoly in this area.

I think they should mix it up and have different teams play every year.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to see the Bills on Turkey Day?

YardRat
03-23-2007, 04:39 PM
I'd ban Dallas before Detroit. Much rather watch the Lions, I don't care how bad they are. Screw the Cowboys.

SABURZFAN
03-23-2007, 05:36 PM
it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without detroit and dallas.i don't like either team but i'll stick with tradition.

Buffatexas
03-23-2007, 06:07 PM
I would not want the Bills on T-Day...too much going on in the house to even sit down and try to enjoy the game...and forget buying tix for my entire family if it was at the Ralph

Typ0
03-23-2007, 06:49 PM
it's really a good situation for the NFL. They put a good team up against the Lions on thanksgiving. Hopefully there is a lot of scoring and people fell good while they are full of turkey.

realdealryan
03-23-2007, 06:53 PM
It's tradition.

So is my destruction of 3 lbs of turkey and 12 beers, subsequent passing out on the couch and farting myself into Friday. But that doesn't make watching me try to figure out why there is cranberry sauce in my pants the next morning good television. Boot the Lions!

Mr.Reality
03-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Makes no sense to have team run by Matt Millen that stinks year in and year out play on a day that was made for football...It's like having New Mexico State play a college football game every New Years Day.
I would agree with this if not for the fact that the Lions invented it. It's not a football tradition. It's a Lions tradition. Don't like it? Don't watch it. Go invent your own tradition and stop trying to rip off somebody else's.

Millen won't be around forever. Although it seems like he will. He's the Teflon GM.

Forward_Lateral
03-23-2007, 10:02 PM
I would agree with this if not for the fact that the Lions invented it. It's not a football tradition. It's a Lions tradition. Don't like it? Don't watch it. Go invent your own tradition and stop trying to rip off somebody else's.

Millen won't be around forever. Although it seems like he will. He's the Teflon GM.

I have to agree.

patmoran2006
03-23-2007, 10:15 PM
I would not want the Bills on T-Day...too much going on in the house to even sit down and try to enjoy the game...and forget buying tix for my entire family if it was at the Ralph
thats not cool

Historian
03-24-2007, 03:49 AM
the hapless Dolphins

I just like seeing that in print.

:squish:

njsue
03-24-2007, 04:36 AM
The NFL cannot break a long time tradition. They have a problem with the lions on going losing. Well to fix a problem one must eliminate the source.

Source =Matt Millen