PDA

View Full Version : Faulk Or Thurman?

gr8slayer
03-23-2007, 03:54 PM
1. Is Marshall Faulk the greatest multidimensional running back of all-time?

Eric Allen: Faulk was amazing to play against because he could hurt you so many ways. It wasn't just him popping out to catch passes for short yardage. He could run a variety of routes from the running back position or line up in the slot alongside Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce and make defenses have to make a torturous decision of who to double. In addition, he was a fantastic pure running back who could gash you for 125 yards.

The only true competition for the title of greatest multidimensional is from Thurman Thomas. He was the same kind of running back. He was a guy who would've thrived in a regular system, but who was even more dangerous when used in the passing game. For this one, I have to go Faulk as 1a and Thomas as 1b with a serious drop-off to No. 2.

Joe Theismann: He compares extremely well to Thurman Thomas, but Thomas gets the edge because he went to four Super Bowls and without him that Bills team isn't nearly as good. Not to say that the Rams were a great team without Faulk, but Thomas was more of the engine than Faulk was.

STAMPY
03-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Marshall was better. I love Thurmo

BILLSROCK1212
03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Faulk obviously but Thurm was AMAZING!!!!

mush69
03-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Hands down IMO, Thurman was truely the ultimate weapon in his day! He was a class act as was Faulk but the difference for me is that Thurman wore a Bills uniform, helped our team to four superbowls and stayed relatively healthy thoughout his career.

Thurman!

The Spaz
03-23-2007, 04:15 PM
**** that it's Thurman all the way!

gr8slayer
03-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Since I was really too young to see alot of Thrum in his prime I'm going with Faulk.

Risin
03-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Since I was really too young to see alot of Thrum in his prime I'm going with Faulk.

Thurman was Faulk, before there was a Faulk.

Led the league in combined yards from scrimmage for years, believe he broke Jim Brown's record.

He was a beast in Super Bowl 25, and with more carries, would have pulled that game out for us by himself.

I have a ton of love for Thurm, and am biased. In saying that, I'd take him without thinking twice.

Mr. Pink
03-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Apparently people forget, even peers like Joey T, Roger Craig.

Roger Craig, with the patented high knee running style, was a HUGE weapon in the 49ers backfield. He was the first with 1000 yards rushing 1000 yards receiving in the same season back in 1985.

Risin
03-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Apparently people forget, even peers like Joey T, Roger Craig.

Roger Craig, with the patented high knee running style, was a HUGE weapon in the 49ers backfield. He was the first with 1000 yards rushing 1000 yards receiving in the same season back in 1985.

Yep.

What he said too.

ublinkwescore
03-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Thomas was the better because he costed us less than it costed the Colts to draft Marshall, and in the best case scenario comparison for Marshall, he is at best, Thurman's equal - in Thurman's best case scenario, he gets the nod simply because of what Theisman said - he was the engine that drove the Bills... No Thurm, no superbowls - Marshall was on a team with one of the greatest passing attacks the NFL had ever seen, granted, he was a major part of that, but with that passing attack, and team speed, teams still had no choice, but to respect the pass more than the run.

realdealryan
03-23-2007, 06:48 PM
If Thurman would have gained less yards per carry in SB XV, he would have kept our offense on the field longer, and we would have won. It's all his fault. So I vote Faulk.

Wait-

If Faulk was Thurman, the Colts wouldn't have let him go. Vote TT!

W1DER1GHT
03-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Head to head, I think it's Faulk because of the Championship and edge on rec yards........I would rather have Thomas any day though!!

RUSHING
Faulk- 2836 carries, 12,279 yards, 4.3 average, 100 tds
Thomas- 2877 carries, 12,074 yards, 4.2 average, 65 tds

REC
Faulk- 767 rec, 6875 yards, 36 tds
Thomas- 472 rec, 4458 yards, 23 tds

EVERYTHING ELSE
Faulk- 1 league MVP, 3 Time Offensive POY, 7 time Pro Bowler, 1 Championship Ring.

Thomas- 1 League MVP, 1 Offensive POY, 5 time Pro Bowler, 4 straight years leading the league in yards from scrimmage, 4 Super Bowl games.

ublinkwescore
03-23-2007, 08:20 PM
just remember that lethal passing attack that Faulk had buddy.

dolphinssuck
03-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Have to go with Thurman on this one but Faulk was no doubt a great back!

patmoran2006
03-24-2007, 08:38 AM
They were both great players.

I think Faulk was the greatest multi dimensional back ever. But Thurman was more valuable to his team, and to this day I think was the key to the Bills Super Bowl era.

Thurm deserved the HOF (on the first ballot) too and I think Faulk will join him in five years.

justasportsfan
03-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Faulk admitted he patterned his game and watched a lot of Thurman tapes since they were trying to run the same offense with the colts.

they were both great but barring injuries will easily be surpased by LT and maybe even Bush. But they both paved the way for what future rb's will be.

gr8slayer
03-24-2007, 09:16 AM
just remember that lethal passing attack that Faulk had buddy.
And some how Reed and Kelly weren't lethal? After seeing those stats it's Faulk for me. 136 TD's? Damn.

unpaid_bills
03-24-2007, 09:17 AM
1 Walter Payton
2 Thurman
3 Marcus Allen
4 Faullk
5 Roger Craig

gr8slayer
03-24-2007, 09:20 AM
1 Walter Payton
2 Thurman
3 Marcus Allen
4 Faullk
5 Roger Craig
L.T. is already number one all time in my book.

chernobylwraiths
03-24-2007, 10:04 AM
No team would have EVER thought about trading Thurman. Plus, one thing nobody has mentioned and a thing that Thurman was very proud of was his blocking. Faulk was used MUCH more as a receiver while Thurman was kept in many times to block and was amazing at picking up blitzes. While they are close, I would take Thurman.

Forward_Lateral
03-24-2007, 11:49 AM
What people forget is that Faulk was a Kick Returner when with Indy. He was more multi-dimentional than any player to play any sport. I don't care how much I love Thurman, Faulk was better. Look at the TDs.

BillsPride12
03-24-2007, 12:14 PM
I love Thurm and and also have alot of respect for Marshall, all in all when things are considered I think it could be a wash between those two. But I still think Walter Payton is number 1, just like Thurman he was an amazing receiver and could block great, and just like Faulk he put up the big rushing numbers and could make the big play, and he was also a great leader and could even throw great passes. I think Walter was not only the most complete running back of all-time, but one of the most complete football players of all time

Ron Burgundy
03-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Faulk > Thomas

But a Spyker is better than a Benz, too.

MarvLevy
03-24-2007, 10:23 PM
TT IS DEF. BETTER

Historian
03-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Thurman is a walk.

He's the only running back in my lifetime that could line up at WR, run a fly pattern, and come down with the ball....in addition to being a pit bull running inside.