PDA

View Full Version : Justin Durant

justasportsfan
03-24-2007, 09:34 AM
I've been hearing a lot about this guy being a good MLB for the cover 2. The only knack on him is that he played for a small school but dominated and although small at this point, he can still bulk up.

Supposedly very high football IQ. Hard worker and willing to absorb new coaching inputs . Almost sounds like Whitner. Projected to be a 3rd rd (because of the school he played for ) but could move up to the 2nd rd.

Any comments?

Jersey1031
03-24-2007, 10:15 AM
London Fletcher went to a Division 3 school.

Night Train
03-24-2007, 10:22 AM
I've been hearing a lot about this guy being a good MLB for the cover 2. The only knack on him is that he played for a small school but dominated and although small at this point, he can still bulk up.

Supposedly very high football IQ. Hard worker and willing to absorb new coaching inputs . Almost sounds like Whitner. Projected to be a 3rd rd (because of the school he played for ) but could move up to the 2nd rd.
Any comments?

6-1 229 4.52 Hampton

Shows good instincts and great quickness. Plays with rare passion and emotion. Reads and reacts to plays in a blink. Accelerates to full speed in a blur. Has the speed to chase down plays all over the field. Shows an explosive closing burst. Is aggressive when filling holes inside, and can stand up lead blockers to clog the hole. Is tough with a good build. Plays with good leverage. Can deliver violent hits. Times blitzes well, shooting into backfield to blow up plays before they start. Is smooth and agile in open field. Plants, drives and closes on passes in front of him to deliver hard hits.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal height. Lacks the bulk to hold ground at the point of attack against NFL offensive linemen. Lacks the strength to shed blocks after a blocker gets a hold of him. Can be too aggressive and overrun the ball. Is not an explosive pass rusher.

Seems small for a MLB, where he is projected but he's played outside. Many mock drafts have him going in the early 2nd round. His profile screams Cover 2.

Pinkerton Security
03-24-2007, 10:27 AM
6-1 229 4.52 Hampton

Shows good instincts and great quickness. Plays with rare passion and emotion. Reads and reacts to plays in a blink. Accelerates to full speed in a blur. Has the speed to chase down plays all over the field. Shows an explosive closing burst. Is aggressive when filling holes inside, and can stand up lead blockers to clog the hole. Is tough with a good build. Plays with good leverage. Can deliver violent hits. Times blitzes well, shooting into backfield to blow up plays before they start. Is smooth and agile in open field. Plants, drives and closes on passes in front of him to deliver hard hits.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal height. Lacks the bulk to hold ground at the point of attack against NFL offensive linemen. Lacks the strength to shed blocks after a blocker gets a hold of him. Can be too aggressive and overrun the ball. Is not an explosive pass rusher.

Seems small for a MLB, where he is projected but he's played outside. Many mock drafts have him going in the early 2nd round. His profile screams Cover 2.

That scouting report is pretty good. He can gain strength, although not height, but I dont think 6'1" is that small. If he could gain strength, he seems like a good mid to late round pick up. Look at many of the players they said were too short, like Zach Thomas and others. Football IQ and instincts can compensate for a lot, and can make a slightly smaller player that much better.

OpIv37
03-24-2007, 11:30 AM
That scouting report is pretty good. He can gain strength, although not height, but I dont think 6'1" is that small. r.

Fletch was only 5'10".

My question would be "can he step in and play from Day One" because we are in desperate need of an LB who can.

justasportsfan
03-24-2007, 03:17 PM
My question would be "can he step in and play from Day One" because we are in desperate need of an LB who can.
if he's as smart as whitner ,i'd say yes.

Night Train
03-24-2007, 04:37 PM
if he's as smart as whitner ,i'd say yes.

Here's another one in that mold. I noticed the NFL network had us taking him in round 3, which would be fine by me. Great player/athlete.

Quincy Black - New Mexico
6-1 3/4 240 lbs. 4.45 , an incredible 6.88 in the 3 cone and a more incredible 41.5 in the vertical.

Is coordinated and athletic. Shows good body control and balance. Shows good instincts and a nose for the ball. Gets started toward the ball quickly and frequently ends up making tackles, recovering fumbles, intercepting balls, tipping passes, etc. Covers tight ends and running backs well man-to-man, staying on their hips. Is adept at dropping into zone coverage; reads quarterbacks well to break and close quickly on passes.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk and strength to hold up at the point of attack. Can be engulfed by big offensive linemen and driven out of plays.
Doesn't consistently take good angles to the ball, and lacks the elite speed to compensate.

Bottom line: Black, a rising Day 2 developmental project, boosted his stock with a good East-West Shrine week, showing nice athleticism and coverage skills and stood out in his Indy combine workouts. He is a bit of a linebacker/safety 'tweener who lacks the speed to play in the secondary. Black has enough physical tools to develop into an undersized starter in the correct scheme. ( Cover 2 )

Right after the NFL Network mentioned his insane vertical leap, they go to film and show him making a leaping INT. Another prime Cover 2 LB, tailor made for the Bills.

Pinkerton Security
03-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Here's another one in that mold. I noticed the NFL network had us taking him in round 3, which would be fine by me. Great player/athlete.

Quincy Black - New Mexico
6-1 3/4 240 lbs. 4.45 , an incredible 6.88 in the 3 cone and a more incredible 41.5 in the vertical.

Is coordinated and athletic. Shows good body control and balance. Shows good instincts and a nose for the ball. Gets started toward the ball quickly and frequently ends up making tackles, recovering fumbles, intercepting balls, tipping passes, etc. Covers tight ends and running backs well man-to-man, staying on their hips. Is adept at dropping into zone coverage; reads quarterbacks well to break and close quickly on passes.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk and strength to hold up at the point of attack. Can be engulfed by big offensive linemen and driven out of plays.
Doesn't consistently take good angles to the ball, and lacks the elite speed to compensate.

Bottom line: Black, a rising Day 2 developmental project, boosted his stock with a good East-West Shrine week, showing nice athleticism and coverage skills and stood out in his Indy combine workouts. He is a bit of a linebacker/safety 'tweener who lacks the speed to play in the secondary. Black has enough physical tools to develop into an undersized starter in the correct scheme. ( Cover 2 )

Right after the NFL Network mentioned his insane vertical leap, they go to film and show him making a leaping INT. Another prime Cover 2 LB, tailor made for the Bills.
you know, theres another prettttty good player in from New Mexico in the NFL, he is one of the best and everyone knows his name....

yup Terrence Pennington baby