PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon Will Recommend 9 Officers Be Held Accountable For Tillman Death

Mitchy moo
03-23-2007, 07:57 PM
WASHINGTON - Senior defense officials say a Pentagon investigation will recommend that nine officers, including up to four generals, be held accountable for missteps in the aftermath of the friendly fire death of Army Ranger Pat Tillman.
NBC News has confirmed that an investigation by the Pentagon's inspector general found that the nine were aware that Tillman was killed by friendly forces in Afghanistan but did not inform Tillman's family in a timely manner.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17763465/

jamze132
03-24-2007, 02:34 AM
As a soldier, I am getting pissed at all this ****. If anyone cares, the Rangers are apart of Special operations. They are rarely publicly rewarded for anything they do extraordinary. And when someone dies, their are things that have to be done to protect the integrity of the mission. The public eye isn't always going to know the truth and sometimes for security reasons, people are going to be lied to, even family. And when little ****holes run around on a witch hunt trying to get someone fired for lying, they are so full of themselves. I knew Pat and a couple of the guys involved in the incident and this **** id getting rediculous.

Sleep better at night knowing that there are people out there who are willing to give their life for others so that Americans can do what the **** they want, when they want without fear.

gr8slayer
03-24-2007, 10:02 AM
WASHINGTON -- A Pentagon investigation will recommend that nine officers, including up to four generals, be held accountable for missteps in the aftermath of the friendly fire death of Army Ranger Pat Tillman in Afghanistan, senior defense officials said Friday.

The Defense Department inspector general will cite a range of errors and inappropriate conduct as the military probed the former football star's death on the battlefront in 2004, said one defense official.

The official, who like the others requested anonymity because the Army has not publicly released the information, said it appears senior military leaders may not have had all the facts or worked hard enough to get the facts of what happened on April 22, 2004, when Tillman, a corporal, was killed by members of his own platoon.

Dozens of soldiers -- those immediately around Tillman at the scene of the shooting, his immediate superiors and high-ranking officers at a command post nearby -- knew within minutes or hours that his death was fratricide.

Even so, the Army persisted in telling Tillman's family he was killed in a conventional ambush, including at his nationally televised memorial service 11 days later. It was five weeks before his family was told the truth, a delay the Army has blamed on procedural mistakes.

Defense officials say the report will not make charges or suggest punishments, but it will recommend the Army look at holding the nine officers accountable. Officers from the rank of colonel and up will be blamed in the report, according to one officer who has been informed of the findings. It appears, one official said, that the inspector general will not find there was an orchestrated cover-up in the probe, which has focused on how high up the chain of command it was known that Tillman's death was caused by his own comrades.

One defense official said it appears the inspector general will not conclude there was an orchestrated cover-up in the investigation.

Mitchy moo
03-24-2007, 10:10 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=122968

Ebenezer
03-24-2007, 11:32 AM
have they yet to find out why he was killed by his fellow soldiers?

Captain gameboy
03-24-2007, 12:34 PM
have they yet to find out why he was killed by his fellow soldiers?

Its not the why, its the how.
The story has been out for some time now.

chernobylwraiths
03-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm sure it was an accident. That doesn't condone the lying.

Ebenezer
03-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Its not the why, its the how.
The story has been out for some time now.
well, if the how was a bullet to the head or a vital organ at close range it might beg a why, no?

Captain gameboy
03-24-2007, 01:09 PM
There is no why.
It was an accident, and that obviates the why.

The entire tactical situation was screwed up, and ended in him getting shot by one of our own.

chernobylwraiths
03-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Sometimes a rose is just a rose.

evol4276
03-24-2007, 02:48 PM
who is this?

kgun12
03-24-2007, 05:52 PM

Just watched the news and the anchor asked the reporter, why it took so long to make it public about it being friendly fire. The reporter said that is part of war and that it isn't commonly talked about, investigated, yes, talk about publicly no. The second reason was because this was a high profile incident they want to get as much information as possible before the on slot of media coverage.

Mitchy moo
03-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Hello, this is old news calling we want our thread back.

SquishDaFish
03-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Skooby made a thread about this yesterday.

Ebenezer
03-24-2007, 11:39 PM
As a soldier, I am getting pissed at all this ****. If anyone cares, the Rangers are apart of Special operations. They are rarely publicly rewarded for anything they do extraordinary. And when someone dies, their are things that have to be done to protect the integrity of the mission. The public eye isn't always going to know the truth and sometimes for security reasons, people are going to be lied to, even family. And when little ****holes run around on a witch hunt trying to get someone fired for lying, they are so full of themselves. I knew Pat and a couple of the guys involved in the incident and this **** id getting rediculous.

Sleep better at night knowing that there are people out there who are willing to give their life for others so that Americans can do what the **** they want, when they want without fear.
it's getting publicity because it was Tillman.

Ebenezer
03-24-2007, 11:41 PM
merged

jamze132
03-25-2007, 02:41 AM
It was an accident.

jamze132
03-25-2007, 02:44 AM
well, if the how was a bullet to the head or a vital organ at close range it might beg a why, no?
Dude, chill with the conspiracy ****. pat wasn't ****ing murdered. Like I said, I knew a couple of the guys involved, it was a ****ing accident and the media is on a witch hunt.

Ebenezer
03-25-2007, 02:55 AM
Dude, chill with the conspiracy ****. pat wasn't ****ing murdered. Like I said, I knew a couple of the guys involved, it was a ****ing accident and the media is on a witch hunt.
when the gov't/officers/whomever went to great lengths to hide the events surrounding his death initially don't you think people are going to be more than a little suspicious? There have been so many mistruths, half-truths and lies by the administration that some people might not exactly believe them.

Captain gameboy
03-25-2007, 03:31 AM
when the gov't/officers/whomever went to great lengths to hide the events surrounding his death initially don't you think people are going to be more than a little suspicious? There have been so many mistruths, half-truths and lies by the administration that some people might not exactly believe them.

This isn't the "administration."
This isn't even the Pentagon.
This is the Army heirarchy, and a small part of it. Nothing more.

YardRat
03-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Friendly fire casualties are part of war. Always have been, always will be. Both sides, I'm sure, are extremely sensitive because Tillman was a public figure.

Does anybody really believe Tillman is the only casualty of this conflict to be taken out by friendly fire? Why aren't others getting the same publicity?

Because they weren't Pat Tillman...That's why.

Ebenezer
03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Friendly fire casualties are part of war. Always have been, always will be. Both sides, I'm sure, are extremely sensitive because Tillman was a public figure.

Does anybody really believe Tillman is the only casualty of this conflict to be taken out by friendly fire? Why aren't others getting the same publicity?

Because they weren't Pat Tillman...That's why.
that's what I have been saying...don't you think there is a slim possibility he was shot because he was Pat Tillman??

look my cynicism is what it is...there have been too many mistruth and lies about many events to just believe things out of hand...and my cynicism is not confined just to this administration - you should have seen me when Clinton was president :D

Mitchy moo
03-26-2007, 12:16 AM
wrong place, wrong time.

LtFinFan66
03-26-2007, 03:44 AM
If this was Jimmy PoDunk from Nowhere, USA.....this would have been laid to rest long ago under the "**** happens" heading