• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Buff News - Bills Near A Trade Of Spikes

Mark Gaughan, the Bills beat reporter, reports a deal for Spikes could be completed in the next day. Trade negotiations gained steam over the last 2 days. Multiple teams are interested ( none named ), which would bring the Bills a draft pick.

Spikes must agree to a new contract with his next team first.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Buff News - Bills Near A Trade Of Spikes

I was going to start a different thread, but I'll just add this here...

Buffalo trying to lure takers for LB Spikes

The Buffalo Bills are entertaining trade offers for Spikes, a linebacker the Bengals drafted No. 13 in the 1998 draft, just four picks before they selected Simmons. Both were anchors of the team's new 3-4 defense.
    Spikes did not have a great year in 2006, which is understandable given that he was returning from a torn Achilles' tendon in 2005.
    Buffalo, a small-market team, is similarly concerned about the future of NFL finances and the growing disparity between the league's haves and have-mores.
    The Bills will not spend over the $109 million salary cap - a strategy called cash-over-cap, which is a habit of some teams.
    Spikes is due $4.6 million in real money in 2007, and the Bills would like to have the space.
    Spikes played in 12 games with 11 starts, all at strong-side linebacker, last season. He missed four games after starting the opener, then finished with 10 consecutive starts. Spikes, who turned 30 on Dec. 17, finished with 76 tackles and one forced fumble.
    The Bengals used their transition tag on Spikes in March 2003, when he became an unrestricted free agent. It gave the Bengals the right to match any offer sheet Spikes would sign but provided no draft pick compensation, as the franchise tag does.
    Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has said he regrets not using the franchise tag on Spikes. And the Bengals chose not to match Buffalo's offer sheet.
    The question is, would the Bengals be interested in Spikes now? The answer: Only if they could get him for a song.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Romes
      • Jul 2002

There is a link to the article.

I'm still on the fence whether I think this is a good idea or not.

If this goes down all i know is that i'd feel a lot better about the LB's if this team drafted Willis in the first round. If not...
      Originally posted by paladin warrior
      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• shelby
        The Vanilla *****
        • Jul 2002

Trading Spikes makes me sad, although i understand the practicality of it.
        Remember how pumped up we were when we signed him?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

He's never going to be the same, we need more draft picks and to rebuild our team. I like spikes and think he is a great person but every team he is on always loses.

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Romes
            http://www.buffalonews.com/111/story/39588.html

There is a link to the article.

I'm still on the fence whether I think this is a good idea or not.

If this goes down all i know is that i'd feel a lot better about the LB's if this team drafted Willis in the first round. If not...
            Whether it's a good idea or not doesn't matter. Cash-to-crap is the bottom line.

You're right, this would make LB the top priority.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Tatonka
              • Jul 2002

i have been supportive of all the moves that the bills have made, but this is one move i just can not get on board with. it really just makes me sick that they are thinking about getting rid of spikes without KNOWING if his play will improve this year. he improved over the last month of last season. It is clear that this kind of injury takes a year of playing to recover. I think spikes deserves the benefit of the doubt and should get another year.

if this is about his cap number, well, that just infuriates me more. all this cap to cash bull ****.. his number is just over 4 million.. well why dont you try cutting some of the team BACK UPS that are making 2 million a year.. like Price, Reed, or Denny.

i mean come on..

as of right now.. a LB corps of Ellison, Crowell, Spikes is concerning enough..

but if they trade him, we are looking at Ellison, Crowell, Stamer.

hope your comfortable with that.

and you guys will say, oh, well we will draft willis.. what happens when willis goes at pick 9, or 10? Oh, we will get alexander.. blah blah.. unless the bills force the pick like they did last season with mccargo, and lose all value on the selection, then there is no way to tell what pick we will get in the draft.

the remaining free agent market for LBs sucks balls.
              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

Looks like the Bills are dying to get Coy Wire into the starting LB rotation!!!
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

my only hope would be that maybe we could trade him to a team like san fran that might potentially steal willis from us in the draft.

Comment

• John Doe
                    Florida Man
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    i have been supportive of all the moves that the bills have made, but this is one move i just can not get on board with. it really just makes me sick that they are thinking about getting rid of spikes without KNOWING if his play will improve this year. he improved over the last month of last season. It is clear that this kind of injury takes a year of playing to recover. I think spikes deserves the benefit of the doubt and should get another year.

if this is about his cap number, well, that just infuriates me more. all this cap to cash bull ****.. his number is just over 4 million.. well why dont you try cutting some of the team BACK UPS that are making 2 million a year.. like Price, Reed, or Denny.

i mean come on..

as of right now.. a LB corps of Ellison, Crowell, Spikes is concerning enough..

but if they trade him, we are looking at Ellison, Crowell, Stamer.

hope your comfortable with that.

and you guys will say, oh, well we will draft willis.. what happens when willis goes at pick 9, or 10? Oh, we will get alexander.. blah blah.. unless the bills force the pick like they did last season with mccargo, and lose all value on the selection, then there is no way to tell what pick we will get in the draft.

the remaining free agent market for LBs sucks balls.
                    I don't know if the benefit of the doubt for Spikes is worth $4.6 million.

And, as of right now, I think we are looking at Ellison, Crowell, and DiGiorgio. Digiorgio is a pretty good fit for the "cover 2"

Comment

• njsue
                      Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                      • Sep 2003

Takeo Must stay a bill.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Dec 2005

If we deal Spikes, which looks likely, we will have to use a 1st on a LB, whether it means Willis at #12 or trading down for someone like Timmons. There is just no way around that fact. We will be extremely thin at LB... much thinner than any other area of the team. It's too bad... I would have loved to see a helathy Spikes with Willis and Crowell, but if they've made up their mind, they've made up their mind.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

I don't like it.

Did they fire the janitor too?
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by John Doe
                            I don't know if the benefit of the doubt for Spikes is worth $4.6 million.

And, as of right now, I think we are looking at Ellison, Crowell, and DiGiorgio. Digiorgio is a pretty good fit for the "cover 2"
                            oh.. well hell.. i feel much better now knowing that Digiorgio is our new starter!

bottom line is we barely have 2 starters with crowell (stud) and ellison (questionable).. so we are going to get rid of another?

and how the bills can be ok with getting rid of spikes at 4.6 million, but keeping price, reed and denny all at 2.2 million... well that is just beyond me.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

and we all know that going into the draft and having to force a pick is a great great strategy... that always works out well.

you get great results by having to force a pick... like trading your 2nd and 3rd round picks to get back into the first round and draft a 2nd round talent at DT..

Comment

Working...
                              X