• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Miller calls out his teammates

TORONTO — Ryan Miller hurled his stick in disgust during Friday night’s game. One night later, he threw down the gauntlet to his Buffalo Sabres teammates.

The All-Star goaltender, in- censed over back-to-back lackadaisical performances, offered some pointed comments after Saturday night’s 4-1 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs in Air Canada Centre.

Darcy Tucker scored two goals to help chase Miller minutes into the second period, and, unlike Friday night’s thrilling 5-4 comeback victory over the Leafs in HSBC Arena, the Sabres couldn’t find the offensive switch again.

“If we want to be the big, bad team we think we are, we’re going to have to show a little more effort, that’s for sure — early in games, at least,” Miller said. “We know we have the capability to score, but we got to start playing complete hockey.”

Jochen Hecht tied the game at 1-1 with 63 seconds left in the first period, but that would be all the offense Buffalo could produce.

The Leafs, however, deluged Miller. After pumping 21 shots on him in the first period Friday, they took 16 more in the opening frame Saturday.

“We better start learning some lessons,”
    Miller said. “We can’t come back every night. It’s not the way we want to play hockey. It’s nice to have that capability, but we can’t get outshot two nights in a row and look at it like we’re happy with the game.”

"It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Miller calls out his teammates

Well, Miller and Ruff have spoken....we'll have to see what the rest of the team has to say.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
      • Jan 2003

I didn't see the game from the start and when I turned it on in the second I saw Conklin in and didn't think anything about it. I like Ruff but he is awful at taking care of his goaltenders.

Comment

• shelby
        The Vanilla *****
        • Jul 2002

Sabres co-captain Daniel Briere will have to pay a $1,000 fine for being charged with his second diving offense of the season. Briere was booked for a dive upon falling facefirst from a Colaiacovo nudge in the back 5:02 into the second period.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
          Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by shelby
          ya that call was horse****... he get's cross checked in the back and then gets a diving call... then later in the game briere comes back and does the same thing and gets a cross checking penalty.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

The writing is on the wall, now....Briere's going to get tagged in the playoffs at some point and miss a game. Mark my words.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• RockStar36
              Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
              • Sep 2004

Good.

Seems like Miller is trying to be a leader.

D & S Sports

Comment

• JD
                Sabres Zone
                • Sep 2003

It's about time someone grew some balls and stepped up.
                “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• RockStar36
                  Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                  • Sep 2004

On a similar note, I'm tired of Miller being called out for the goals he lets up. It seems to me when I watch the games that people get mad at him for letting up the goals but the rest of the team gets a pass when they only play 10 out of 60 minutes of hockey.

D & S Sports

Comment

• SkateZilla
                    • Dec 2002

and this will be proven on Wednesday, a crucial game vs New Jersey
                    Skate Zilla
                    -----------------------
                    Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                    SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Nighthawk
                      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                      • Jul 2002

I'd like to see what the girls on this team do to accomodate Miller's request. I've been saying this for months...Ruff is being to easy on these guys and it is starting to show more and more. At least one player on this team gets it...let's see if anybody else does.

Comment

• JD
                        Sabres Zone
                        • Sep 2003

****ty defense=more goals. Miller is not the problem with this team. Damn we should have gotten a hard working blueliner instead of Zubrus..Connolly, Max and Kotalik are coming back shortly..uggggggggggggh
                        “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                          I'd like to see what the girls on this team do to accomodate Miller's request. I've been saying this for months...Ruff is being to easy on these guys and it is starting to show more and more. At least one player on this team gets it...let's see if anybody else does.
                          oh and you want to see another player get hurt and out for the playoffs is that it! perhaps maybe say Briere.

Comment

• JD
                            Sabres Zone
                            • Sep 2003

I really think all they care about right now is staying healthy. They know what happend last year around this time and it just seems like they dont want to take any chances. We basically have the division title for sure so that gives them a little more reason to lay back I guess. But I'm sure once the playoffs start we'll be that speedy-balsy-crafty-hardworking team that we've all grown to love.

GOOOO SABRES!

Comment

Working...
                            X