PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rob Ray, Stu Barnes traded!!

Ebenezer
03-10-2003, 11:05 AM
WNSA is reporting...details to follow

WereRat
03-10-2003, 11:07 AM
What????? I thought there wasn't going to be any type of "fire sale" going on here... ggrrr.....

THATHURMANATOR
03-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Ray to Ottawa
Barnes to Dallas.

Ebenezer
03-10-2003, 11:17 AM
they say the sabres are not done. I am betting C. Brown and Zhitnik go also.

WereRat
03-10-2003, 11:18 AM
And an NHL exec heard the Gratton has been traded on a done deal as well. Plus it looks like Zhitnik is on the block for bidding.

They are also saying that new ownership is set to start mid week this week..
http://msn.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/wheatley_tom/1521098.html

MissBuffalo
03-10-2003, 11:20 AM
And did we get sh@t again in return???

casdhf
03-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Future considerations

Ebenezer
03-10-2003, 11:31 AM
threads merged...duplication unnecessary.

MissBuffalo
03-10-2003, 11:31 AM
:rofl: Of Course!!! Next season we'll have a bunch of 18 year olds playing. We trade our captain, whom we payed what Peca wanted and we get dookie in return. :mad:

Earthquake Enyart
03-10-2003, 11:44 AM
What's dookie? :huh:

If you mean a flat zamboni tire and some pucks....

Patrick76777
03-10-2003, 11:45 AM
Mike Ryan for Barnes. He's a senior in College.

Ebenezer
03-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Details about Ryan:

Position: RW
Shoots: Left
Height: 6-1
Weight: 175 lbs
Birthdate: 1980-05-16
Hometown: Milton, Massachusetts
Acquired: Round 2 #32 overall 1999 NHL Entry Draft

Year Team League GP G A Pts PIM
2001-02 Northeastern NCAA 36 24 15 39 54
2000-01 Northeastern NCAA 33 17 12 29 52
1999-00 Northeastern NCAA 32 4 9 13 47

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=139

Typ0
03-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Dealing away the whole team for nothing just to cut the payroll? The people in Buffalo are not going to tolerate a pathetic losing team ad infinitum. They are keeping the team here but HSBC is still going to be an empty building.

Ebenezer
03-10-2003, 12:00 PM
what whole team?? Ray was going to retire anyway and Stu....well, imo, he should never have been captain.

Earthquake Enyart
03-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Neither of these moves breaks my heart.

Now let's clean out McKee, Warrenner, Zhitnik, Brown.....

THATHURMANATOR
03-10-2003, 12:05 PM
I agree Eb. Stu is not worth 3 mil a year and wasn't a very good captain IMO.

WereRat
03-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Ruff looked like he was about to break into tears talking about Ray leaving in the press conference...

It also sounds like Galisano is going to slide in pretty quietly without any big hoopla...

TigerJ
03-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Until the Sabres get an owner who is willing to spend some money (Golisano?) the Sabres will be closer to an AHL team than an NHL team.

Buffarama
03-10-2003, 12:24 PM
I don't mind Stu getting traded. what I do mind is not getting any help in the near future. This is not the NFL. Draft picks take 3-4 years and maybe break the roster.
We're loading the team for 3-4 years down the road. I can't believe throughout this whole season that he couldn't have gotten a warm body for next year at least.

TacklingDummy
03-10-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by MissBuffalo
And did we get sh@t again in return???

A pack of cigarette's is all I would give for Ray. He stinks. What would you want for someone whos done nothing in his career but fight?

Now lets trade Zhitnik,Brown,Satan,Biron and Maxim. Hopefully the players we get in return will help out Miller when he becomes the regular goaltender.

Ebenezer
03-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Darcy is talking about flexibility...could be he is clearing "cap space" to get some players during the offseason.

WereRat
03-10-2003, 12:36 PM
I for one know I have hopes for the future, even for next year. Most likely not playoffs then but a better all around season. All any of us can do is trust to the powers that be to make good choices...

Novacane
03-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Stu Barnes............Big deal! Were are lucky to get anything. I for one am glad he's gone. Now I won't have to hear same BS line after every game.

Rob Ray.................this was just a nice gesture by the Sabers to give him a shot at the cup. If we got a bag of pucks in return it was a good trade for us.

fushetti
03-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Neither of these moves breaks my heart.

Now let's clean out McKee, Warrenner, Zhitnik, Brown.....

If things weren't bad enough, we have earthquake getting rid of the nucleus. By no means do you trade McKee or Warrener. The others, go ahead.

don137
03-10-2003, 02:33 PM
I agree that it was more of a nice gesture to trade Ray for the opportunity to g for the cup.
I also agree with many of you that I was not impressed with Stu Barnes as a captain. He is a second or third liner depending on the team and I was never impressed with his leadership.
I just hope they don't trade much more than Zhitnik and a goalie. We can't trade all our veterans. I am sick of Darcy trading NHL players for prospects. If I recall a the time of the Peca deal Darcy said something along the lines that Buffalo was going to be two-three years away from being a powerhouse.

js °
03-10-2003, 02:44 PM
SABRES TRADE RECAP (or "Trading, The Darcy Reiger Way")

» A proven tough 26 year old with 8 years experience thats willing to skate through walls to get a puck ... traded for ... an 18 year old Czech with not a single minute on NHL ice.

» A proven tough 32 year old captain with 15 years experience thats willing to skate over, under, around and through walls to get a puck and get it to the front of the net ... traded for ... a 22 year old college senior with not a single minute on NHL ice.

» A proven tough 34 year old with 14 years experience as a Buffalo Sabre thats willing to skate through walls, refs, and other players to get a puck and punch someone in the face ... traded for ... future considerations.

I'm willing to allow Reiger the first two trades for potential, because many times his potentials have blossomed into downright good hockey players. So those may pan out into future heroes in Buffalo, time will tell. Varada's trade stings, losing power and strength for finesse and potential is quite the gamble. Stu is one of the best playoff players in the league in my opinion, the man shows up to play hockey every game, and works every second on the ice, but hes gettin a bit old, and not producing alot of numbers, so thats a fairly allowable deal, i think we could have gotten more than some college senior for him, but what do i know. And Ray for ... well ... nothing .. is just a slap in the face to all Sabres fans in WNY. The man was as much a part of the town as anyone has ever been. He will always be a Sabre, and I'm sure we all await his return upon retirement, hopefully as Sabre Staff. I'd love to see Ray behind the bench with a headset on barking at refs.

Earthquake Enyart
03-10-2003, 02:56 PM
What does Stu have, like 10 goals?

He's average at best.

I do agree that Ray should stay here for sentimental reasons only, but no tears should be shed for Varada or Barnes.

Ebenezer
03-10-2003, 03:00 PM
You lost with them...you can lose without them.

WereRat
03-10-2003, 04:39 PM
In the end it was Ray himself that said "Yeah, I'll go to the Sens". He was given the choice on whether to go or not. So him leaving can't be put on the management's shoulders. Cant blame him for wanting a chance to put a Cup victory on his resume as his (maybe) last hurray. He already said he isn't moving out of the area.

SkateZilla
03-10-2003, 07:19 PM
stay in BUFF and be subject of Buffalo Brain Wash in hopes that lindy will get fired or get traded to a Cup contender

BironsGirl43
03-10-2003, 09:37 PM
I'm really sad to see both guys go..

No more "Stuuuuuuuuu Barnes" calls.. and no more Ray fights for us..

I don't get it.. we pratically give up our tough guy and our captain all in one day for nothing really.. prospects and picks.. do they really mean much when our entire team is basically under the age of 25 anyways..

We only have 1 veteran left on this team.. James Patrick who is well into his 30s.. and we have Zhitnik but he is apparently on his way out..

We are the youngest team in the league now and we just keep getting younger.. why don't we get a decent veteran who can guide all of these young players and teach them a few things..

This team lacks leadership and what do we do.. Trade it away :(

Earthquake Enyart
03-10-2003, 09:40 PM
How would you like to have bought tickets to these last 7 or so home games..... :eek:

BironsGirl43
03-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
How would you like to have bought tickets to these last 7 or so home games..... :eek:

I'm going to a couple of them.. but I'm really disappointed.. and there's a rumor that Vancouver's going to get Satan and Zhitnik for a whole bunch of their crappy players like Sopel and Letowski.. uhhh..

WereRat
03-10-2003, 09:46 PM
The Satan/Zhitnik rumors have been flying for weeks though, what makes that one anymore realistic?

BironsGirl43
03-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Because apparently on Canucks radio.. they've been saying that a trade is imminent and the one with Buffalo is more than likely to happen.. and they said something on the lines of.. "Satan and Zhitnik pack your bags".. I really hope this is BS.. I'm gonna cry if we lose them too!

WereRat
03-10-2003, 09:51 PM
At this point nothing will surprise me though after todays dealings...

Earthquake Enyart
03-10-2003, 09:54 PM
The Canucks said they all but had Gratton a month or so ago....

They don't know squat.

Losing Zhitnik wouldn't bother me.

BironsGirl43
03-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Losing Satan though would really bother me!

I really love this team.. and I know I've said it before but I love each and every player on this team.. they go through their ups and downs.. they fight for one another.. defend each other.. and through this tough season.. they've stuck together.. I hate seeing any of them leave.. it must be tough to deal with a situation as the one with Buffalo.. but they've hung in there.. and adversity builds character.. I think through all of the growing pains and everything.. they'll come out ok.. I mean look at them.. they're all young, so very young.. we expect too much from them.. all I ask is that they don't gut the team and trade everyone away to make another team better while sending ours down the toilet..

Sabre Ally
03-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by BironsGirl43

I'm going to a couple of them.. but I'm really disappointed.. and there's a rumor that Vancouver's going to get Satan and Zhitnik for a whole bunch of their crappy players like Sopel and Letowski.. uhhh..

Which games are you going to? I would love to meet you at a game.

BironsGirl43
03-11-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally

Which games are you going to? I would love to meet you at a game.

For real Ally!?!?

I'd love to meet you as well!! :)

I'll be going to the Flyers game.. the game vs the Leafs in Toronto and probably the Colorado one.. what about you?

Ohh I'm excited :)

Edit: And I'm going to see if I can make it to the last game vs NJ

Sabre Ally
03-11-2003, 12:11 AM
I could do the Flyers game since it's Spring Break and I won't have to go to class. Or I could do Colorado. I was planning on the Thrashers game on April 2, but I can squeeze one more in. :)

BironsGirl43
03-11-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
I could do the Flyers game since it's Spring Break and I won't have to go to class. Or I could do Colorado. I was planning on the Thrashers game on April 2, but I can squeeze one more in. :)

The Thrashers game would be a good one too!!

Hmm.. I'll think about that one.. I'll get my dad to take me!! Hehehe.. I don't think you should spent more money because of me.. lol.. so I'll try to make it work with the Atlanta one so there will be no trouble!!

Weee Ally I'm excited.. hehe :)

Sabre Ally
03-11-2003, 12:18 AM
I don't mind. Once hockey season's over there won't be any more for awhile.......plus it would give me one more chance to show off my Mair jersey :laughter:

BironsGirl43
03-11-2003, 12:20 AM
Ohh la la Mair eh?

Have you ever met him or seen him upclose ? He's a cutie.. ;)

And I agree once the season is over.. what else is there? I think I'll just hibernate till October.. lol..

Sabre Ally
03-11-2003, 12:22 AM
No, I've never met any of the players. :(

BironsGirl43
03-11-2003, 12:23 AM
Oh yeah.. I recall you saying that!

Well you've gotta go to the Carnival next season, k? :)

Sabre Ally
03-11-2003, 12:25 AM
k :)