PDA

View Full Version : Goodell Likely To Set Harsh Penalties For Misconduct

gr8slayer
03-25-2007, 08:13 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/25/league.meetings.ap/index.html

PHOENIX (AP) -- Roger Goodell's first full NFL meeting as commissioner is beginning with one item at the top of the agenda: a crackdown on players who get in trouble with the law.

The meetings formally begin Monday with Goodell's state of the NFL address to the owners. But everyone was on hand Sunday for committee meetings.

As did his predecessor, Paul Tagliabue, Goodell is likely to say the state of the league is good. However, he is also expected to announce, most likely on Tuesday, new and strengthened rules for discipline for what is perceived as an increasing number of players with legal issues.

The new discipline is likely to be harsher, with longer suspensions than the current two or four games, and punishment handed down more quickly. In the past, the league most often has waited until the legal process has been exhausted before suspending players for violations of the law. Now, with the concurrence of the NFL Players Association and many players, it may not.

Still, it is likely to be vigorously discussed.

YardRat
03-25-2007, 08:20 PM
with the concurrence of the NFL Players Association

That's the key passage right there. Goodell will have to get the OK from the NFLPA, and Upshaw was just re-elected for the umpteenth time.

Goobylal
03-25-2007, 08:27 PM
The players themselves asked for this. I see it passing with no problem and then see a bunch of guys getting suspended, among them Joey Porter.

YardRat
03-25-2007, 08:29 PM
The players themselves asked for this. I see it passing with no problem and then see a bunch of guys getting suspended, among them Joey Porter.

If that's the case, there should be no excuses to inhibit implementation.

dolphan117
03-25-2007, 09:13 PM
In other news the Bengals are requesting 15 compensetory draft picks.

There coach Marvin Lewis- Well I think this new policy is a great thing, I understand the need for a good public image and all that...... But the thing that makes this league great is how competitive it is.... You know? Teams going from last to first and stuff, just like NO last year.

If the league is going to institute some kind of a tougher policy than I think the NFL owes our fans a bunch of extra draft picks. I mean they didnt tell us they were going to do this kind of stuff when we drafted these guys with prison tats you know? Its just not fair to let us draft this kind of talent and then later say that you are going to hold them to some kind of a "higher standard". Its just not fair.

If the league is really all about parity and giving all fans hope then they are going to have to give us extra picks because we all know that half our current team wont make it thorough the season.

dolphan117
03-25-2007, 09:17 PM
More from Marvin- Plus they really should have told us earlier you know? I mean we've had our scouts interviewing guys in prison for the last 8 weeks trying to get ready for the draft, you know? Just trying to find the next O.J Simpson you now?..... And now all of a sudden they are going to change the rules? Screws up our entire draft board. This is bull****.

Talk0fNewYork
03-25-2007, 09:47 PM
If they were smart, they should kick people like Chris Henry, Adam Jones (He don't deserve a nickname) out of the league to set an example.

Bert102176
03-26-2007, 04:54 AM
he needs to do something, people like Tank Johnson committing a crime and not being able to leave yet they let him go play in the Super Bowl that is high quality bull****, his ass should of been in jail if he were a person like any of us he would have been in jail

Jan Reimers
03-26-2007, 08:01 AM
The crackdown on criminal behavior is long overdue, but I hope Goodell and the owners also spend some time and energy on resolving the qualifier/revenue distribution issue.

That problem has dragged on long enough.