PDA

View Full Version : Was watching L Briggs today...

acehole
03-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Is he one of those guys that benifits from great guys arond him...or is he a playa?

He looked ordinary to me today.....

Any thought?

Carlton Bailey
03-25-2007, 09:46 PM
How were you watching him today?

To answer your question, I think he's a great player. Brian Urlacher's the most overrated player on that defense, in my mind. Sure, he's very good, but Dick Butkus he ain't.

RockStar36
03-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Briggs is very good but also benefits from playing next to Urlacher. I think whoever gets Briggs could be in for a let down.

Tatonka
03-25-2007, 10:01 PM
there has been talk about briggs high tackle numbers but extreme lack of big plays to come along with all those tackles.

i think there is some merit to it. i think he is a good line backer.. better than spikes of last year obviously, but he is NOT what spikes was in pro bowl form.

Talk0fNewYork
03-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I figured theres no way we go after him, so **** him.

OpIv37
03-25-2007, 10:52 PM
If we really do trade Spikes, he'd easily be the best or 2nd best LB on our roster.

Does that make him worth his price tag? I don't really know.

Devin
03-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Brian Urlacher's the most overrated player on that defense, in my mind. Sure, he's very good, but Dick Butkus he ain't.

You've lost your marbles.

OpIv37
03-25-2007, 11:01 PM
. Brian Urlacher's the most overrated player on that defense, in my mind.

in 2005 I might have agreed with you. In 2006, Urlacher more than proved his worth.

acehole
03-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Briggs is very good but also benefits from playing next to Urlacher. I think whoever gets Briggs could be in for a let down.

I came to this conclusion also today....

of course it is only one game.

Bert102176
03-26-2007, 04:47 AM
YES, IMO he is a decent LB but playing on a D with Urlacher makes him seem better then he is

realdealryan
03-26-2007, 05:20 AM
I know that Briggs isn't one of the Bears who always rips the ball out when tackling, but he still out-tackled Urlacher. 17 more solo tackles. The Bears' scheme will also mean that Briggs will have to play in a different system, which will likely hurt his production in his first season. It could go either way.

mchurchfie
03-26-2007, 05:25 AM
there has been talk about briggs high tackle numbers but extreme lack of big plays to come along with all those tackles.

i think there is some merit to it. i think he is a good line backer.. better than spikes of last year obviously, but he is NOT what spikes was in pro bowl form.
He sounds like another Fletcher.:ill:

Saratoga Slim
03-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Briggs is a very solid linebacker. But I don't think Chicago's going to let him go anywhere. And if we did sign him, he's likely going to cost us more this year than Spikes. Forget about him.

Tatonka
03-26-2007, 09:20 AM
He sounds like another Fletcher.:ill:

i wouldnt say that.. i am not saying he is piling on to get tackle numbers or is not making plays.. i am saying he is not getting or causing turnovers like elite LBs do.

Ickybaluky
03-26-2007, 09:45 AM
i wouldnt say that.. i am not saying he is piling on to get tackle numbers or is not making plays.. i am saying he is not getting or causing turnovers like elite LBs do.

Actually, I think Briggs is great at creating turnovers. He has 4 Int, 7 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries over the last 2 years.

Contrast that with Urlacher, who has 2 Int, 2 forced fumbles and 1 fumble recovery in that same time span.

Briggs is a great in coverage. He has 17 passes defensed in the last 2 years (Urlacher has 11 in that span). The guy is all over the field and is a sure tackler. He is always around the ball. Watch how many times teams hit their checkdowns and Briggs is there to bring the guy down.

I'll take nothing away from Urlacher, who is a great player. There is no doubt that it benefits other players having Urlacher in that defense. However, Briggs is a great LB. He is an all-over-the-field type guy who makes a ton of plays. He is great in coverage and can tackle. He has been terrific as a WS player, but in college he was a strong ILB at Arizona, playing in a 3-4.

I'm not sure what game you were watching to think the guy was average, because he is a pretty consistent player, but I know he had a terrific game against NE this year (11 tackles, 1 big PD on a seam route to Watson that would have been a TD had he not broken it up, 2 fumbles forced and a fumble recovery). Watch that game and tell me the guy isn't great.

patmoran2006
03-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Lance Briggs is one of the 3-4 best OLB"s in the NFL.

I'll give you Merriman.. Someone name me 3 other LB's in football who are better. ?

RockStar36
03-26-2007, 09:56 AM
One of the reasons he is able to create all those turnovers is because the other team has to focus so much on Urlacher that it gives Briggs those opportunities.