PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Trade Opens Up Cap Space...For Perhaps RB Turner ?

Night Train
03-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Just an educated guess/dart throw and nothing more.

If Turner can be had for a 2nd rounder, (I realize it's all speculation) he'll also need a new contract (not speculation), as a restricted FA.

Freeing up cap space could indicate another deal is around the corner. While some speculate on Briggs, I would think Turner is more likely a target. His contract demands wouldn't come close to Briggs and would solve one obvious positional need for 2007. Then LB gets addressed in the Draft and Patrick Willis is NOT the only option.

Let's watch the Spikes trade finish up and see what happens. The Draft is still more than a month away, meaning we plenty of time to explore additional trade possibilities.

My only question is how much actual cap space.. or "cash to cap" space do we have left, assuming Spikes is moved ? Maybe Clump or someone else could answer this. Thanks in advance.

Bert102176
03-26-2007, 05:45 AM
why all the love for Turner he is a 2nd tier RB, that benefits from a great OL and from only sparing LT

Mitchy moo
03-26-2007, 06:07 AM
We need a legit #1 RB, not a backup.

Night Train
03-26-2007, 06:08 AM
why all the love for Turner he is a 2nd tier RB, that benefits from a great OL and from only sparing LT

He could very well be but has actually shown something positive in spot duty in the NFL. Save me the Lamont Jordan comparison, since each player is an indivual case.

A 2nd round pick is less risky than a 1st rounder on Peterson (durabilty) or Lynch (off-field concerns). Looking great against Iowa St. and Stanford doesn't make them slam dunks for NFL stardom or a smart investment, if red flags are showing.

Turner was a 2nd team All-American in College himself and seems to have NFL level talent. It's all a gamble but he'd be worth a dice roll, IMO. He shows something.

Mr. Miyagi
03-26-2007, 06:14 AM
No thanks on Turner. He's another glorified backup with "flashes of brilliance" and "potentials" that's been hyped up by the media only, like another Matt Schaub.

Forward_Lateral
03-26-2007, 06:23 AM
How about spending some money on Defense. There's a thought.

Night Train
03-26-2007, 06:25 AM
How about spending some money on Defense. There's a thought.

Briggs or someone else ?

Devin
03-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Id love Turner here, it would be pretty cool if your theory was right.

Those who say hes a glorified backup.....etc simply havent watched him play.

ZacGriffi~82
03-26-2007, 06:48 AM

$$

jamze132
03-26-2007, 07:25 AM
I don't think I would give up a 2nd rounder for Turner. Maybe Spikes and our 4th.

HHURRICANE
03-26-2007, 07:26 AM
We need to free up Cap Space just to sign our rookies. I'm not joking. There will be no more trades. Trust me.

Kenny
03-26-2007, 07:36 AM
I don't think I would give up a 2nd rounder for Turner. Maybe Spikes and our 4th.

IF we're going to spend a day1 pick (and if it's not going to cost our first) on a running back, -I"d much rather have Turner that the other option:

Round1:
Lynch or Peterson vs. Willis or Okoye

So make your pick:
Option 1
Willis or Okoye - Round1
Michael Turner - Round2

OR

Option 2
Lynch or Peterson - Round1
(Best Lineback Available) - Round2

Which option do you think will make our team better? For me, I'll take Option1 any day of the week.
Remember, -this is a runningback we're talking about... And the running that's available to draft isnt going to be one of those 'elite' runningbacks coming out of college.
Neither Lynch, and not even Peterson (due to his durability issues) will ever be compared to the RB prospects coming out college in past years like Reggie Bush, LT, Ricky Williams, (or even McGahee pre Bowl-Injury), etc...

Tatonka
03-26-2007, 08:11 AM

has turner ever had to start and play a full game by himself in the nfl?

Ickybaluky
03-26-2007, 08:17 AM

He did as a rookie in 2004. He ran 15 times for 87 yards and caught 4 passes for 8 yards in a 24-17 SD win against KC.

Tatonka
03-26-2007, 08:23 AM
what is your opinion of him NE?

i really dont know.. he has looked crazy good in relief duty..

some say well he is playing behind a good line.. and i hope the bills will have a good line.

as far as being a back up to LT.. well, i dont know that it makes a difference.. the opposing team is trying to stop the running back out there.. either he can run or not.. and the kid definately looks like he can run.. that is for sure.

why was he drafted so low out of college?

i guess durability would be a concern.

Talk0fNewYork
03-26-2007, 08:29 AM
No thanks on Turner. He's another glorified backup with "flashes of brilliance" and "potentials" that's been hyped up by the media only, like another Matt Schaub.Turners played in more than 2 games, and has actually produced.

Talk0fNewYork
03-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Do you all forget even if we trade for him he won't be a full time starter, we will be using a 2 back system with A-Train.

Ickybaluky
03-26-2007, 08:38 AM
what is your opinion of him NE?

i really dont know.. he has looked crazy good in relief duty..

some say well he is playing behind a good line.. and i hope the bills will have a good line.

as far as being a back up to LT.. well, i dont know that it makes a difference.. the opposing team is trying to stop the running back out there.. either he can run or not.. and the kid definately looks like he can run.. that is for sure.

why was he drafted so low out of college?

i guess durability would be a concern.

I like him a lot. Not real shifty, but built like a FB and very fast. Can catch the ball. Real hard to tackle because he will run through arm tackles and has the speed to take it the length of the field. He accelerates well, and if he hits the second-level of the defense he is a load to tackle. That is why I like him so much, because he is such a physical runner and he has such great speed.

I'm not sure why he wasn't drafted higher, because he was a real productive college player. One knock against him was he played in the MAC, which was a lower-level of competition. Keep in mind he isn't the first guy to slip in the draft.

I think the guy is a heck of a player and well worth someone making him the starter. I know his playing time was limited in the NFL, but he was durable in college and carried the ball a lot.

It is hard to find an NFL comparison to Turner, because it is rare for such a big, compact back to have his speed. I don't think he is anywhere as good as Bo Jackson was, but he is similar in terms of his size and ability to make the big play. I think he will have a Preist Holmes kind of impact for whomever trades for him this year or signs him next year.

camelcowboy
03-26-2007, 08:42 AM

Has peterson or Lynch?

HHURRICANE
03-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Do you all forget even if we trade for him he won't be a full time starter, we will be using a 2 back system with A-Train.

Yeah, it's a two back system until a stud shows up and than A-train goes back to warming the bench.

HHURRICANE
03-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Has peterson or Lynch?

That's why you draft them and keep McGahee for 2007. That's why NE keeps winning. Let Maroney get used to the NFL before getting rid of Dillion.

Sorry guys but the McGahee trade is going to potentially bite us in the ass. Hate the guy but we needed to leave him on the roster. He wasn't a big cap hit and than we could have let him walk.

McBFLO
03-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Like any running back we bring in at this point, including Turner, he's going to at least start the year by splitting carries with A-Train. I think those 2 feeding off each other could be a very nice tandem. Then, once the season progresses, they may shift more towards the successful runner, whomever that turns out to be.

Tatonka
03-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Has peterson or Lynch?

i wasnt saying that to be antagonistic..

it was an honest question. i couldnt remember if LT had missed any time and Turner had to carry the load, but i thought it would obviously be good to look at that for the people that are saying he cant do it.

Ickybaluky
03-26-2007, 09:36 AM
That's why you draft them and keep McGahee for 2007. That's why NE keeps winning. Let Maroney get used to the NFL before getting rid of Dillion.

There is risk whenever you move to an untested player, ultimately it comes down to the team's evaluation of the player and whether they think that person can fill the role.

The Pats are taking a risk giving Maroney the ball this year. Remember, Maroney split time last year and in college. Maroney only carried the ball 660 time in three years of college, with his top season being 281 carries as a junior (he then declared early for the draft).

Turner carried the ball 310 times (1,648 yards/14 TDs) and 338 times (1,915 Yards/19 TDs) in college.

You can look at Turner's draft profile HERE (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/michael_turner)

gr8slayer
03-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Turner/Train = Happy Slayer

patmoran2006
03-26-2007, 09:49 AM
You guys just dont get it.

Get Turner out of your head. SD could tell us they'll give him to us for a bottle of aspirin and we still wouldnt trade for him..

Because we would have to PAYYYYYYYYYYYY him significant money.

Dudes, we havent even brought in a FREE agent since the first day. Since the ONLY thing we've done is dump off current player money to compensate for our one day of spending.

Whether McGahee and/or Spikes are football or business moves we can debate forever. What's not debatable is we STILL had plenty of cap room after day one and we've done nothing, literaly not one single thing to make this football better at ANY POSITION.

There are 22 starting positions on the football field; we've clearly gotten better at one of them and clearly gotten worse (at least at this time) at FOUR of them.. You do the math

camelcowboy
03-26-2007, 10:36 AM
You guys just dont get it.

Get Turner out of your head. SD could tell us they'll give him to us for a bottle of aspirin and we still wouldnt trade for him..

Because we would have to PAYYYYYYYYYYYY him significant money.

Dudes, we havent even brought in a FREE agent since the first day. Since the ONLY thing we've done is dump off current player money to compensate for our one day of spending.

Whether McGahee and/or Spikes are football or business moves we can debate forever. What's not debatable is we STILL had plenty of cap room after day one and we've done nothing, literaly not one single thing to make this football better at ANY POSITION.

There are 22 starting positions on the football field; we've clearly gotten better at one of them and clearly gotten worse (at least at this time) at FOUR of them.. You do the math

Thats why i think the most important this offseason is at owners meetings this week. The issue of revenue sharing. If they resolve it then the bills may become more aggresive this offseason.

Night Train
03-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Wait.

We don't have to pay Lynch or Peterson significant $$ , if drafted #12 overall ? Just Turner ? Is that what someone is saying above ?

camelcowboy
03-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Second round pick would command some dough as well, I can see it going down.

camelcowboy
03-26-2007, 11:01 AM
i wasnt saying that to be antagonistic..

it was an honest question. i couldnt remember if LT had missed any time and Turner had to carry the load, but i thought it would obviously be good to look at that for the people that are saying he cant do it.

I would take Turner over Peterson and Lynch. He's played alot for a back up, sometimes whole halfs that the chargers have shelved LT for because the win is secure. I have seen alot of turner and i love his running style. Behind our big line he would be great.

Ultra Chimp 1
03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
No thanks on Turner. He's another glorified backup with "flashes of brilliance" and "potentials" that's been hyped up by the media only, like another Matt Schaub.

Yea I agree with Myagi. Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, Marhsal faulk, Joesph Addai, Maurice Jones drew and a bunch of other backs who first served as second on their team's depth charts are all hyped up garbage.

:rolleyes:

Bert102176
03-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Briggs or someone else ?

hopefully not Briggs

Bert102176
03-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Sorry guys but the McGahee trade is going to potentially bite us in the ass. Hate the guy but we needed to leave him on the roster. He wasn't a big cap hit and than we could have let him walk.

Thank You

Jeff1220
03-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of trading for Turner, if it is a possibility.