Spikes Trade Opens Up Cap Space...For Perhaps RB Turner ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Spikes Trade Opens Up Cap Space...For Perhaps RB Turner ?

Just an educated guess/dart throw and nothing more.

If Turner can be had for a 2nd rounder, (I realize it's all speculation) he'll also need a new contract (not speculation), as a restricted FA.

Freeing up cap space could indicate another deal is around the corner. While some speculate on Briggs, I would think Turner is more likely a target. His contract demands wouldn't come close to Briggs and would solve one obvious positional need for 2007. Then LB gets addressed in the Draft and Patrick Willis is NOT the only option.

Let's watch the Spikes trade finish up and see what happens. The Draft is still more than a month away, meaning we plenty of time to explore additional trade possibilities.

My only question is how much actual cap space.. or "cash to cap" space do we have left, assuming Spikes is moved ? Maybe Clump or someone else could answer this. Thanks in advance.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Bert102176
    • Aug 2002

Re: Spikes Trade Opens Up Cap Space...For Perhaps RB Turner ?

why all the love for Turner he is a 2nd tier RB, that benefits from a great OL and from only sparing LT
    lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

We need a legit #1 RB, not a backup.

Comment

• Night Train
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Bert102176
        why all the love for Turner he is a 2nd tier RB, that benefits from a great OL and from only sparing LT
        He could very well be but has actually shown something positive in spot duty in the NFL. Save me the Lamont Jordan comparison, since each player is an indivual case.

A 2nd round pick is less risky than a 1st rounder on Peterson (durabilty) or Lynch (off-field concerns). Looking great against Iowa St. and Stanford doesn't make them slam dunks for NFL stardom or a smart investment, if red flags are showing.

Turner was a 2nd team All-American in College himself and seems to have NFL level talent. It's all a gamble but he'd be worth a dice roll, IMO. He shows something.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

No thanks on Turner. He's another glorified backup with "flashes of brilliance" and "potentials" that's been hyped up by the media only, like another Matt Schaub.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

How about spending some money on Defense. There's a thought.

Comment

• Night Train
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
              How about spending some money on Defense. There's a thought.
              Briggs or someone else ?

Comment

• Devin
                The Octagon
                • Apr 2003

Id love Turner here, it would be pretty cool if your theory was right.

Those who say hes a glorified backup.....etc simply havent watched him play.
                http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• ZacGriffi~82
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Devin

$$
                  www.billsaddiction.com -The Home of Bills Addicts-

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

I don't think I would give up a 2nd rounder for Turner. Maybe Spikes and our 4th.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

We need to free up Cap Space just to sign our rookies. I'm not joking. There will be no more trades. Trust me.

Comment

• Kenny
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
                        I don't think I would give up a 2nd rounder for Turner. Maybe Spikes and our 4th.
                        IF we're going to spend a day1 pick (and if it's not going to cost our first) on a running back, -I"d much rather have Turner that the other option:

Round1:
                        Lynch or Peterson vs. Willis or Okoye

So make your pick:
                        Option 1
                        Willis or Okoye - Round1
                        Michael Turner - Round2

OR

Option 2
                        Lynch or Peterson - Round1
                        (Best Lineback Available) - Round2

Which option do you think will make our team better? For me, I'll take Option1 any day of the week.
                        Remember, -this is a runningback we're talking about... And the running that's available to draft isnt going to be one of those 'elite' runningbacks coming out of college.
                        Neither Lynch, and not even Peterson (due to his durability issues) will ever be compared to the RB prospects coming out college in past years like Reggie Bush, LT, Ricky Williams, (or even McGahee pre Bowl-Injury), etc...

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Devin

has turner ever had to start and play a full game by himself in the nfl?
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                            has turner ever had to start and play a full game by himself in the nfl?
                            He did as a rookie in 2004. He ran 15 times for 87 yards and caught 4 passes for 8 yards in a 24-17 SD win against KC.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

what is your opinion of him NE?

i really dont know.. he has looked crazy good in relief duty..

some say well he is playing behind a good line.. and i hope the bills will have a good line.

as far as being a back up to LT.. well, i dont know that it makes a difference.. the opposing team is trying to stop the running back out there.. either he can run or not.. and the kid definately looks like he can run.. that is for sure.

why was he drafted so low out of college?

i guess durability would be a concern.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X