Does anyone still think this is NOT a cheap franchise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Does anyone still think this is NOT a cheap franchise?

For anyone who is actually not convinced that "trading" Spikes isn't 100% financial. Read the damn article. In fact, To save you the time just read the quotes. You gotta be kidding me.

"Finances are playing a big part in the Spikes move, and they are the reason his trade has been expected for weeks.

The Bills have made big free-agent purchases the past month and have committed about $105 million to this year’s player costs, by News estimates. They do not intend to spend more than the NFL salary cap total of $112 million in real dollars this year. (Teams are allowed to spend cash over the cap because signing bonuses can be spread out over the length of the contract for accounting purposes.)

The Bills still need to spend a lot of money to sign their draft choices. That total could exceed $10 million, depending on how they structure the contracts. They also must keep some money in reserve to replace injured players during the season.

So it’s hard to see how they could avoid spending over the cap in real money with Spikes, who is scheduled to make $4.6 million, on the roster."
    ========================================================
    IN all actuality, we are more than $19 million under the salary cap. We still had plenty of money, if we had an owner who choose to do so, to fill a lot more of the holes that have been left behind or not addressed in previous years. We could've landed minimum 2-3 more quality starters in FA, guys that woulda costed some money but not approached contracts like Dockery got; guys that would've been an upgrade such as a Rod Hood, Nick Harper, Travis Henry, Cato June, Justin Griffith, etc (take your pick of any 2 I guess- they were all clear upgrades)

But the salary cap, by our own owner, has been made different for the 31 other teams in the league than it is for us. For fans who've supported this team through this ridiculously mediocre stretch (longest playoff drought in Bills history), these cheap moves are discraceful and a slap to ticket/merchanise buying Bills fans everywhere.

There is zero committment to winning from wilson. Zero. He is committed to saving money, and that's it.

Groan me all you want, I care about the Bills as much as anybody on this board. But I'm done buying into this horse****. I really hope Wilson sells the team or "moves on"- I dont care anymore. I'll take my chances that someone will want to keep this team in Buffalo, because nobody can possibly do a ****tier job of running this franchise than Wilson has over the past decade.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • camelcowboy
    • Mar 2005

Re: Does anyone still think this is NOT a cheap franchise?

still alot of offseason left Pat, ill answer you then.

Comment

• Stewie
      Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      For anyone who is actually not convinced that "trading" Spikes isn't 100% financial. Read the damn article. In fact, To save you the time just read the quotes. You gotta be kidding me.

"Finances are playing a big part in the Spikes move, and they are the reason his trade has been expected for weeks.

The Bills have made big free-agent purchases the past month and have committed about $105 million to this year’s player costs, by News estimates. They do not intend to spend more than the NFL salary cap total of $112 million in real dollars this year. (Teams are allowed to spend cash over the cap because signing bonuses can be spread out over the length of the contract for accounting purposes.)

The Bills still need to spend a lot of money to sign their draft choices. That total could exceed $10 million, depending on how they structure the contracts. They also must keep some money in reserve to replace injured players during the season.

So it’s hard to see how they could avoid spending over the cap in real money with Spikes, who is scheduled to make $4.6 million, on the roster."
      ========================================================
      IN all actuality, we are more than $19 million under the salary cap. We still had plenty of money, if we had an owner who choose to do so, to fill a lot more of the holes that have been left behind or not addressed in previous years.
      You immediately assume the worst. I read what you just posted and I think that maybe the reporter doesn't know what he's talking about, that he's guessing it's finances but doens't really know the cap situation (none of them do, they can't all be ballstieri)

Why you claim to like a team you are so negative about is beyond me.
      Originally posted by Topdog
      Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
      Originally posted by mercyrule
      I love Weiner.
      also cheese

Comment

• jamesiscool
        suck it fool.
        • Feb 2007

i think pat should be a redkins fan. that way his team can spend all the money they want just to keep him happy.
        Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Getting rid of Spikes is all financial, right. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the major injury that he has yet to fully come back from, the fact that last year after Vincent was hurt and put on IR to be realeased that he basically asked for the same thing and that his mouth was the one quoted when talking about possibly the best defense in the NFL a couple years ago. Spikes was a great player on the field a few years ago (emphasis on was) and even if he may be again, there is virtually no way we would retain him after this year, so they are being proactive in seeing what they could get.

Did anybody really think we would be able to retain MaGahee after this season before the trade? Regardless of his production this year, does anybody think we would have a chance of keeping Spikes?

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

I do agree with Pat to an extent. Although Ralph has kept this team in Buffalo, he has never really gone all out to put a winner on the field. It always comes down to the old dollar with Ralph and people do get tired of hearing about it...and I'm one of them. Until somebody else buys the team, we are stuck with what the Bills are and will be...mediocre. However, this will not stop me from hoping they win every Sunday during the season, but I will do it knowing that with Ralph at the helm, this team probably won't see another Super Bowl.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by paulB
              You immediately assume the worst. I read what you just posted and I think that maybe the reporter doesn't know what he's talking about, that he's guessing it's finances but doens't really know the cap situation (none of them do, they can't all be ballstieri)

Why you claim to like a team you are so negative about is beyond me.
              Mark Gauhgn knows more about the Buffalo Bills than ANY writer you read.. ANY writer from ESPN, any writer from "Football 365".. anybody.

The ONLY person with more access than Gaughn is Chris Brown; who's salary is paid by the Buffalo Bills.

When it come to this; I just dont THINK he has more access and knowledge of Bills' going ons, it's a 100% PURE FACT.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

He played like crap last year and missed significant playing time again as our highest paid player. It was sad to watch, since he's one of my favorites but the eyes didn't lie. A 6th round pick outplayed him and his mobility may never return.

The Bills are the only NFL team that practice ROI ( return on investment ) in relation to performance.

Got it.

Would you please get off the emotional roller coaster and visit the middle ground for once. This drama queen act of starting multiple threads to hear yourself ***** is growing old.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                  • Jan 2003

Getting rid of Spikes is all financial, right. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the major injury that he has yet to fully come back from, the fact that last year after Vincent was hurt and put on IR to be realeased that he basically asked for the same thing and that his mouth was the one quoted when talking about possibly the best defense in the NFL a couple years ago. Spikes was a great player on the field a few years ago (emphasis on was) and even if he may be again, there is virtually no way we would retain him after this year, so they are being proactive in seeing what they could get.

Did anybody really think we would be able to retain MaGahee after this season before the trade? Regardless of his production this year, does anybody think we would have a chance of keeping Spikes?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

The Bills are NOT cheap Pat.

Comment

• jamesiscool
                      suck it fool.
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                      The Bills are NOT cheap Pat.
                      if thurm said it, it must be true.
                      Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                        I do agree with Pat to an extent. Although Ralph has kept this team in Buffalo, he has never really gone all out to put a winner on the field. It always comes down to the old dollar with Ralph and people do get tired of hearing about it...and I'm one of them. Until somebody else buys the team, we are stuck with what the Bills are and will be...mediocre. However, this will not stop me from hoping they win every Sunday during the season, but I will do it knowing that with Ralph at the helm, this team probably won't see another Super Bowl.
                        Paid Jim Kelly the biggest contract in NFL history when he came here. Made Bruce Smith the highest paid defensive player (maybe twice) and I believe made Thurman Thomas the highest paid RB at one time.

Comment

• Stewie
                          Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          Mark Gauhgn knows more about the Buffalo Bills than ANY writer you read.. ANY writer from ESPN, any writer from "Football 365".. anybody.

The ONLY person with more access than Gaughn is Chris Brown; who's salary is paid by the Buffalo Bills.

When it come to this; I just dont THINK he has more access and knowledge of Bills' going ons, it's a 100% PURE FACT.
                          Hmm... wow you got me there. Mark God-aughn said so.

So you don't think that pro football teams would ever put out false information?

nah.. that would be dumb... they just tell the press 100% facts, every time. Especially with 30 days until the draft.

I got it now. Thanks
                          Originally posted by Topdog
                          Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                          I love Weiner.
                          also cheese

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

this years additions were cheap. We stole Kelsay, Dockery and Walker for peanuts.

BTW, Gaughan wasn't the one who said the bills were cheap. PAt did. So take it for what it's worth.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Yeah, it's financial. It's always financial. So what?

If this was 2003 TKO that we were trading than it would be a stupid move.

This is "not as good as Ellison" Spikes that we are getting rid of.

Dude stop getting your pants in a bunch. The guy sucked last year. What are we missing. If he didn't play a down last year our record would still be 7-9. he was a zero on the field. PERIOD.

Comment

Working...
                              X