• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Answer
    The Plagiarist
    • Mar 2007

Fins split on Carr/Green

CHANCES ARE THAT CULPEPPER IS DONE

As of right now, the chances (we're told) of quarterback Daunte Culpepper returning to the Dolphins in 2007 are 60-40 against.

If the Fins were somehow able to finagle both David Carr and Trent Green, the number would shoot to, in our view 99.9-0.1.

The team's only concern is that, if Culpepper is still showing ill effects of a knee problem that was exacerbated by being rushed into the lineup at the start of the 2006 season, an injury settlement would likely be owed to him. And with a $5.5 million salary due to Daunte in 2007, cutting him and stiffing him could prompt a strenuous legal challenge from Culpepper's camp.

-----------------
    POSTED 8:32 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 9:58 a.m. EDT, March 26, 2007

FINS SPLIT ON CARR, GREEN

A league source tells us that the Miami Dolphins front office currently is split on the question of whether to sign free-agent quarterback David Carr, or to continue to pursue a trade with the Chiefs for quarterback Trent Green.

The source also says that Carr's first choice for his first post-Texan team is the Dolphins.

And Carr could end up being the guy, given that the Miami Herald reports that the Chiefs now want a second-round pick plus another pick as compensation for the guy whom they undoubtedly will be cutting if they can't trade him.

"Trent is a Pro Bowl quarterback, he's thrown for 30,000 yards, he's a quality individual,'' Chiefs president Carl Peterson said, according to the Herald. "He's worth more than a 7th round pick".

But, apparently, he's not worth the $7.2 million salary that the Chiefs are scheduled to pay him this year. Thus, absent a trade, Green will be on the open market.

Our take? The pro-Carr crowd likely will win out. However, we wouldn't be surprised to see Green added to the roster when the Chiefs finally cut him loose. Green could start for a season or so while Carr learns the position better from the No. 2 spot -- a luxury he never had in Houston.

The wild card in all of this is the Lions. Though it's unlikely that they would give up a second-round pick, Green could become intrigued by the possibility of finally getting a chance to start for Mike Martz, since it was a blown out ACL (thanks to Rodney Harrison) that knocked Green out of the lineup with the Rams in 1999, and opened the door for the ascension of Kurt Warner.

~The Answer
  • !Papacrunk!
    • Mar 2004

Re: Fins split on Carr/Green

I feel sorry for Culpepper (obviously he's set financially, but career wise.) I hope that he's able to make leaps and bounds progress, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards at the moment. I think A LOT of Dolphins fans got drunk with the great play he had in the past, so it's unfortunate that he may not be able to get back to that ability, if ever. At least the organization did a good job with his restructed contract when he signed, so they won't suffer when or if he gets cut.

I would love to have a Trent Green that was 5-7 years younger, but I think if he did sign later (as in him getting cut) then I think he'd be a great mentor with familiarity with Cameron's system.

Right now, I'm leaning towards David Carr. I hope he still has some upside to his career, and I'm glad that Cameron has a good track record when it comes to developing QBs. Even if either was to sign, I still really believe that the Dolphins will take a 1st day pick on a QB, but I guess we'll see.

Comment

Working...
    X