PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Spikes update

jpdex12
03-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Eagles eyeing Spikes
<Mar. 26> The Eagles have jumped to the front of the Spikes sweepstakes and something could happen quickly, reports ESPN.com's John Clayton. The Bills have quietly shopped Spikes him for the past few weeks with the Eagles and Giants showing the most interest.
Spikes is hoping to hear sometime Monday that a deal could be done. The plan would be for Spikes to play outside linebacker for the Eagles. The former Bengal was also willing to go back to Cincinnati but the Bengals weren't interested in his $4.5 million salary. Coming off an Achilles tendon injury, Spikes played in 12 games last season. He finished with 70 tackles and one sack.

Per ESPN Insider

patmoran2006
03-26-2007, 12:31 PM
LOL..
"Spikes sweepstakes"?

Getting a day two draft pick constitutes a Spikes sweepstakes?

feelthepain
03-26-2007, 12:34 PM
LOL..
"Spikes sweepstakes"?

The Eagles and Giants are both in the market for LB's, being that their both in the same division the end result could favor the Bills.

OpIv37
03-26-2007, 12:34 PM
any word on potential compensation yet? I'll be shocked if it's higher than a 4th.

RockStar36
03-26-2007, 12:35 PM
If he goes to Philly or NYG expect to see Takeo against the Bills this year.

Mr. Miyagi
03-26-2007, 12:36 PM
LOL..
"Spikes sweepstakes"?

Pat your negativity is beginning to get to me. Keep it up and I might have to consider replacing The Answer on the ignore list with YOU.

*****. :mad:

Canadian'eh!
03-26-2007, 12:36 PM
The Eagles and Giants are both in the market for LB's, being that their both in the same division the end result could favor the Bills.

I don't think any result that has us losing 3 of our 4 best defensive players over teh past few years is going to end up favourable for us :(

Jeff1220
03-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Even injured, spikes is 10X more valuable than McGahee, and the Bills got 2 thirds and a seventh for him.

patmoran2006
Yep, we do play the NFC East this year.

Still cant get over a "Spikes Sweepstakes" statement when we'll be ridiculously fortunate to get a first day draft pick for him.

Mr. Miyagi
any word on potential compensation yet? I'll be shocked if it's higher than a 4th.
You too mister. :mad:

Canadian'eh!
03-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Pat your negativity is beginning to get to me. Keep it up and I might have to consider replacing The Answer on the ignore list with YOU.

*****. :mad:

I just don't let fatmoron get to me.

feelthepain
03-26-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't think any result that has us losing 3 of our 4 best defensive players over teh past few years is going to end up favourable for us :(

I'm talking about compensation for Spikes, not what the loss of Spikes means for the Bills.

OpIv37
03-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Even injured, spikes is 10X more valuable than McGahee, and the Bills got 2 thirds and a seventh for him.

That's the truth, but not the perception. McGahee is younger and was making a name for himself in Miami while Spikes festered in Cincy- McGahee has more name recognition and in the eyes of the media, that makes him more valuable.

Spikes' production may have been down, but he's a competitor and a winner. McGahee is neither of those things. Oh, but he still has the low production.

Carlton Bailey
03-26-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't want Spikes gone. I'll miss him.

OpIv37
03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
You too mister. :mad:

seriously- Spikes is getting older and has been injured for most of the last two seasons. How valuable could he be? Right now, he's more valuable on our roster than he is to anyone else.

raphael120
03-26-2007, 12:51 PM
If he goes, we better get a good deal for him. And he is infinitely worth more than McGahee, so bring on a 2nd round draft pick.

feelthepain
03-26-2007, 12:52 PM
That's the truth, but not the perception. McGahee is younger and was making a name for himself in Miami while Spikes festered in Cincy- McGahee has more name recognition and in the eyes of the media, that makes him more valuable.

Spikes' production may have been down, but he's a competitor and a winner. McGahee is neither of those things. Oh, but he still has the low production.

Lets see how he responds on a team destine for the playoffs. It's amazing what winning can do for some players attitudes. He didn't seem to have the same issues with the Hurricanes, they didn't lose much.

OpIv37
03-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Lets see how he responds on a team destine for the playoffs. It's amazing what winning can do for some players attitudes. He didn't seem to have the same issues with the Hurricanes, they didn't lose much.

true, but we don't need guys who shut down during the bad times. We need guys who step it up and try to instill some pride during the bad times. Baltimore can have their fair-weather player.

feelthepain
03-26-2007, 01:04 PM
true, but we don't need guys who shut down during the bad times. We need guys who step it up and try to instill some pride during the bad times. Baltimore can have their fair-weather player.

Can't argue with that, but if the fans here can trash their own team for losing then why can't the players?? The fans don't take the pounding and physical abuse the players do. Just because players make a lot of money isn't an excuse to accept mediocrity. Sure Willis could have handled it differently, but Bill fans don't know what he would have done if the Bills were a playoff team every year. I'm not making excuses for the guy, but Willis will be quite a nice addition to the Ravens and he's quite a big loss for the Bills no matter how some Bill fans downplay the loss.

Mr. Miyagi
03-26-2007, 01:19 PM
seriously- Spikes is getting older and has been injured for most of the last two seasons. How valuable could he be? Right now, he's more valuable on our roster than he is to anyone else.
And that's why TWO teams are competing for his service? Right?

ShadowHawk7
03-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Even though I'd rather not trade him in the first place, I'd be hard pressed to trade him for any less than a 3rd round pick or picks equal in value.

OpIv37
03-26-2007, 01:27 PM
And that's why TWO teams are competing for his service? Right?

that may increase his value slightly but keep in mind that they are two teams who need LB help- just because two teams want him doesn't mean we're going to get compensation.

If you and me both bid on a house worth $100,000, the current owner may be able to get $110k or $115k out of one of us to outbid the other one, but he's still not going to get $150k for the same house. And if the current owner doesn't have a place to live once he sells his house, maybe he should re-consider selling regardless of the compensation.

Mr. Miyagi
03-26-2007, 02:12 PM
that may increase his value slightly but keep in mind that they are two teams who need LB help- just because two teams want him doesn't mean we're going to get compensation.

If you and me both bid on a house worth $100,000, the current owner may be able to get $110k or $115k out of one of us to outbid the other one, but he's still not going to get $150k for the same house. And if the current owner doesn't have a place to live once he sells his house, maybe he should re-consider selling regardless of the compensation.
Obviously if Marv and company have decided to move him, he's worth more to us as draft picks than as a player. So your analogy though applies, it incorrectly assumes that we think the house is worth more than the market value, which I do not think the Bills are dumb enough to believe. Also who says we don't have a place to live after selling the house? We may live in a temporary apartment for a little while, but we're building a much bigger and better house for the future.

OpIv37
03-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Obviously if Marv and company have decided to move him, he's worth more to us as draft picks than as a player. So your analogy though applies, it incorrectly assumes that we think the house is worth more than the market value, which I do not think the Bills are dumb enough to believe. Also who says we don't have a place to live after selling the house? We may live in a temporary apartment for a little while, but we're building a much bigger and better house for the future.

but at the rate we're building, the frame and foundation will be crumbling by the time the roof is ever put on. This whole "let's buy a door this year but sell most of the windows because we won't be moving in yet" strategy isn't getting the house built.

Night Train
03-26-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't want Spikes gone. I'll miss him.

I missed the 2004 Spikes while watching him play poorly last year...when he did play.

GarnOFreak
03-26-2007, 03:45 PM
I miss watching the LB section of our team dominate for so long, man were we spoiled....I miss Biscut and Tallt, I miss Speilman, Paup, Cowart, etc. I miss the 3-4....(sigh)

GarnOFreak
03-26-2007, 03:45 PM
(sp) Talley

HHURRICANE
03-26-2007, 04:53 PM

Over the past few years? Spikes has been not on the field. People keep talking about the hole he's leaving. It was there when he was on our roster!!

TigerJ
03-26-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm sure that whoever trades for him will have a cadre of doctors go over him with every test known to man that can assess the condtion of his achilles.

BTW, I heard an interesting comparison of Cowart and Spikes for what it's worth. Cowart's achilles injury was rated a 9 out of 10 for severity. Spikes' injury was rated a 4 out of 10. Factor in several years between the injuries and the constantly improving sophistication of the medical field in performing delicate surgery, and it sounds to me like a prognosis for a more complete recovery than Sam Cowart had is not too far fetched. BTW, I heard this on the radio, so I can't give you a link.

In any case if the team that trades for Spikes is happy with medical reports, I could se Buffalo getting a first day draft pick, a third, with an outside shot at a second.