• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

If Spikes goes....

I dont care who is on the board at 12 you take Willis... end of story.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: If Spikes goes....

Or even trade up for him
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

They no longer have the luxury of options with their draft pick.. It has to be Willis

and the scary part if a lot of people now think SF will take him ahead of us...

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Unless we trade for Briggs of course.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
          They no longer have the luxury of options with their draft pick.. It has to be Willis

yet another reason a Spikes trade is stupid- it makes our draft pick obvious and gives other teams the opportunity to jump ahead of us or take him and hold him for ransom by forcing us to trade up.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

If we trade Spikes I wouldn't even rule out another linebacker in the middle rounds, in addition to Willis.

I'll be happy if we take Willis at 12 whether we keep TKO or not, but fact is we need some quality depth at LB and if we lose Spikes we have almost nothing.
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Even though Spikes was an outside backer and Willis is a Middle backer?

Comment

• The Answer
                The Plagiarist
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MBBedard
                I dont care who is on the board at 12 you take Willis... end of story.
                He'll be long gone, Willis is a top 5 prospect - We'll have to reach for the Penn State LB if that's the case.

~The Answer

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006

On the contrary, depending on who is still on the board at # 12 and what the Bills get for Spikes, the Bills could opt to draft an OLB there or take an OLB in Round 2 (or trade up into the late first round for an OLB)--for example Alexander, Beason or Timmons. Crowell would then play MLB and the rookie would start at OLB. The only thing that trading Spikes insures is that the Bills will take at least one LB and probably two in this draft.

What the Bills must do if they trade Spikes is make sure that they get a LB in this draft who will be a play-maker for them in this defense. Fortunately for them, there are some LBs in this draft who are or have the potential to be play-makers on the pro level.

When healthy, Spikes was a big-time play-maker, but he hasn't been healthy for the last two years and that is one of the big things that the Bills' defense has been lacking. While Spikes might yet become a play-maker once again the way he was before he got hurt, there's no guarantee that he ever will. The Bills can't afford to take that chance. If they're going to wait to find out if they are going to have a play-maker at LB or not, they might as well wait and find out if a young LB with play-making ability--who isn't trying to come back from an Achilles injury--can become a star on the NFL level rather than spend that time on a 30 year old who is not only going to be earning $4.6 million this year and $6.4 million the next, but is likely to want more than a 2-3 year contract extension if he stays.

It's not like the Bills are trying to replace a guy who had 120 tackles, generated a half dozen turnovers or more and had 5 sacks last season (or the year before). Yes, it's possible that Spikes could become that kind of player again, but, if he does, he's still not going to be in Buffalo for more than a year or two--or if he does stay, that it won't cost an arm and a leg to keep him. Why deal with that when you can get a young play-maker--either at MLB or OLB--in the draft who is going to be fully healthy coming in and be with the team for a minimum of 3-4 years? A guy who will be capable of producing those kinds of numbers and perhaps more. Willis is one of the LBs in this draft capable, with some seasoning, of doing that, but not the only one.
                  Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• The King
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                    Yes.
                    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                    It was all
                    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

DeMeco Ryans was a second-round pick last year. Our first-round pick doesn't "have" to be anyone.

Comment

• NFLfan
                        • Mar 2007

im not sure exactly of the bills needs but say if the bills gave the bears their 2nd round pick for briggs and took that RB Lynch at 12.
                        then take another LB with one of the picks gained from the mcgahee trade, spikes trade or your own picks.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by NFLfan
                          im not sure exactly of the bills needs but say if the bills gave the bears their 2nd round pick for briggs and took that RB Lynch at 12.
                          then take another LB with one of the picks gained from the mcgahee trade, spikes trade or your own picks.
                          Briggs for a 2nd? No way the Bears will stand for that.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• gr8slayer
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                            Crowell can play outside and Willis inside I guess.

Comment

• The King
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                              Crowell can play outside and Willis inside I guess.
                              If you're going to have 2 new starters one of them better be a beast.
                              It was all

Comment

Working...
                              X