X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Patrick Willis is not going to pass Pittsburgh

I'm not buying into his hype of running a 4.3+ at his pro day. Realistically teams have to take the medium of his Indy run and his pro day run in evaluation of his speed.

More importantly the question is can he cover? Ray Lewis was not the fastest guy when he came out. But he surely knew how to read and could cover people with the best of them. To that end, almost everyone, scout and coaches, seem to give Willis a thumb up in coverage. He's not, however, considered as the best in stopping the run.

I'm hearing from my friend who works for a football agency, as well as some radio discussions here in Pittsburgh, that Willis is an ideal inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. He covers well, he shoots the gap well, and he can rush QBs.

We know Pittsburgh is going to play a lot of hybrid 3-4 and 4-3 this season. James Farrior is getting old and Porter is gone. Linebacker is probably a top priority in Steeler town. There is a mild speculation here that the Steelers may need to trade up a few spot to get Willis, but I think that's not likely, given that they are also looking for a first rated CB.

I don't see Willis going in the top 10 since there is so many top rated guys there. But it could get very dicy when it gets to San Fran. There might be a few trades there. One thing is certain. Willis will not pass the 15th spot.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Patrick Willis is not going to pass Pittsburgh

he better not get past Buffalo at 12.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Every pick after 10 will be dicey if your Pitt and hoping Willis will fall to 15.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

Willis is basically a slightly lighter Ray lewis. His speed is no joke, he hits like a truck and has exceptional instincts. His biggest strength is his play against the run.

Its been rumored for a long time hes run 40's in the low 4.3's many times so his pro day numbers dont surprise me at all. Personally I think he will be gone before our pick. As the 49ers pairing him with Lawson and Clements will be inching closer towards a contender.

And honestly unless Marv was blowing smoke, with Crowell at MLB I doubt we draft him anyway.

Willis is going to be an exceptional pro.
        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

49ers could really use him, so could Atlanta at 8
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Devin
            The Octagon
            • Apr 2003

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              49ers could really use him, so could Atlanta at 8
              yer absolutely right..

Willis is probably gone, and so is Okoye (IMO Miami or Atlanta)..

Assuming Peterson is gone too..

That leaves pretty much Lynch as the best value at 12. Or trading down and goign after a OLB like Timmons or Beason..

The worst case scenario is we take one of the OLB at 12 anyway, or even worse, Posluszny. the only thing DUMBER than that would be taking Leon Hall.

if Willis and Okoye are gone, we better be taking Lynch.

Comment

• Ed
                Dude
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                yer absolutely right..

That leaves pretty much Lynch as the best value at 12. Or trading down and goign after a OLB like Timmons or Beason..

The worst case scenario is we take one of the OLB at 12 anyway, or even worse, Posluszny. the only thing DUMBER than that would be taking Leon Hall.

So if Peterson, Willis and Okoye are all gone by 12, who falls? Branch, Landry?

Comment

• Devin
                  The Octagon
                  • Apr 2003

yer absolutely right..

I know you have a hard-on for Lynch but dont be surprised if he drops past us.....and keeps dropping, he will go in the first of course. I assure you he is NOT the "best value at 12".

TKO being traded all but eliminates him as our pick anyway. And im not dissapointed. And yes I'd take Poz in a heartbeat. Trade down or not. Talent is talent no matter where it is drafted.

Next season if we manage to snag Ray Rice, mcfadden (although he maybe #1 overall) or any of the other beasts coming out you will be thankful.

Course that is if you live to see it, im shocked half you girls havent offed yourselves......what with the sky falling and the world ending and all.

Comment

• Devin
                    The Octagon
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Ed
                    Branch or one of the DE's.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Ed
                      I would creme myself if Landry fell to us.. He's a franchise safety. The kind of guy you build an ENTIRE defense around, a difference maker like Bob Sanders.. That being said, we'll never draft him.. We have too many defensisve "needs" because we didnt address anything in FA. He's a game changing luxury we cant afford.

And piss on Branch.

My educated GUESS on the Top 11 picks as of right now (and obviously its just opinion nothing is fact)
                      1- Oakland- Russell
                      2- Detroit- Quinn
                      3- Cleveland- Peterson
                      4- Tampa - CJ
                      5- Arizona- Joe Thomas
                      6- Washington- GAines Adams
                      7- Minnesota- Jamal Anderson
                      8- Houston- Landry
                      9- Miami- levi Brown
                      10- Atlanta- Okoye
                      11- SF- Willis

Leaving us at 12.. With Lynch clearly the best player on the board.. and OLB being our biggest need. I wouldnt draft Branch if you PAID ME.

My "guess" is we trade down and take Timmons or Beason.. My FEAR is that we draft one of them at 12 as a huge reach because its such a "need" (again FA made it that way) or the two NIGHTMATE SCENARIOS
                      1- Staying at 12 and drafting Timmons, beason or worse- Posluszny
                      2- Leon Hall.

IF we committ to defense with the first pick (I want Peterson or Lynch and wont waiver).. but if we do, our best HOPE is that Branch gets into that Top 11, knocking either Okoye or Willis down to 12. Otherwise, we're F'd.

Comment

• Devin
                        The Octagon
                        • Apr 2003

Leaving us at 12.. With Lynch clearly the best player on the board.. and OLB being our biggest need. I wouldnt draft Branch if you PAID ME.

My "guess" is we trade down and take Timmons or Beason.. My FEAR is that we draft one of them at 12 as a huge reach because its such a "need" (again FA made it that way) or the two NIGHTMATE SCENARIOS
                        1- Staying at 12 and drafting Timmons, beason or worse- Posluszny
                        2- Leon Hall.

IF we committ to defense with the first pick (I want Peterson or Lynch and wont waiver).. but if we do, our best HOPE is that Branch gets into that Top 11, knocking either Okoye or Willis down to 12. Otherwise, we're F'd.
                        Do you actually watch any game film, or are all your posts, "educated" guesses, and blogs just based on world wide inter-web mock drafts?

Good god.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Devin
                          Do you actually watch any game film, or are all your posts, "educated" guesses, and blogs just based on world wide inter-web mock drafts?

Good god.
                          I've watched plenty of football on TV, and I read up on a ton of prospects. Not to mention spending plenty of time on other team's sites and reading up on their needs and draft strategies.

Are there some PROFESSIONAL scouts on here I'm unaware of that their insight on prospects is much better than mine?

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Devin

Good god.
                            you know the pathetic part about that statement? Is that you are actually a MOD..

So if I dont' watch enough game film like Im a professional scout or something, then I dont have a right to express my OPINIONS on who I think is the best running back or linebacker out there?

I can't say "Lynch is clearly the best player on the board" because my name isn't Tom MOdrak?

This coming from a MOD, nonetheless.

Comment

• HAMMER
                              I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                              • Jul 2003

I've watched plenty of football on TV, and I read up on a ton of prospects. Not to mention spending plenty of time on other team's sites and reading up on their needs and draft strategies.

Are there some PROFESSIONAL scouts on here I'm unaware of that their insight on prospects is much better than mine?
                              No way, no one compares to the omniscient Pat Moran, the guru of gurus, the man with all the knowledge. No one could possibly compare!

Comment

Working...
                              X