PDA

View Full Version : Who is the run-stopper?

Ron Burgundy
03-26-2007, 09:01 PM
While I can appreciate that we need more sacks from the DT spot than, say, Larry Tripplett provides, who is gonna be guy to collapse the pocket and knock down the RB? Darwin Walker can give us 6 sacks but he's not going to help in that department.

Williams is a high effort guy but he's no monster. Neither is Tripplett. McCargo is a bit of an unknown and he was more of a pass rusher himself at NC State.

Any ideas? Do we draft a fatty?

Talk0fNewYork
03-26-2007, 09:03 PM
It's more than just them collapsing the pocket it's standing strong, holding thier gap and allowing other players room to run after the backs.

Ron Burgundy
03-26-2007, 09:06 PM
It's more than just them collapsing the pocket it's standing strong, holding thier gap and allowing other players room to run after the backs.
There's a difference between pass-rushing d-lineman and run-stuffers, too. Granted, some guys can do both well (I think Kyle's kinda in between) but most of the guys on our roster aren't the type to bust up the running plays...and our 'backers will be (at the very least) young. I like Crowell but Ellison to me is only okay. There's another hole.

I don't mind that we picked up Walker. He's better than most of the guys we have. Still, I'm not sure we filled a need here...it looks like we just created another gap at linebacker.

alohabillsfan
03-26-2007, 09:06 PM
The run stopper in this defense is the Offense! Build the O-line, run the ball score more points and make the other team pass to catch up, which plays to the teeth of this defense!

feelthepain
03-26-2007, 09:11 PM

Good run stuffing D's have big bad DT that gobble up blockers and push the pocket backwards. Good run stuufing D's also have LB's that persue well and DB's that are smart, fast and hard hitting when the middle closes up and the play gets pushed outside. Front seven first, secondary works cleanup!!

feelthepain
03-26-2007, 09:13 PM
The run stopper in this defense is the Offense! Build the O-line, run the ball score more points and make the other team pass to catch up, which plays to the teeth of this defense!

Is that all?? Good luck with that.

Forward_Lateral
03-26-2007, 09:18 PM
I think they are betting that McCargo will be the nose-guard.

alohabillsfan
03-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohabillsfan

Do you watch football? Can you tell me the team that had the worst rushing defense in the league? Can you nmae the team that currently holds the title Champion? Gee, how did they do that?

alohabillsfan
03-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Quote:

Do you watch football? Can you tell me the team that had the worst rushing defense in the league? Can you nmae the team that currently holds the title Champion? Gee, how did they do that?

feelthepain
03-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Quote:

Who says your O will improve at all, much less dominate a game enough to compensate your weak defense?? Like the Colts as you suggest??

lightningbolt444
03-26-2007, 09:46 PM
ftp you have no right to say anything bad about any team when the dolphins are in the shape they are in. Sure the bills have their problems and holes but not like the dolphins. You get all upset when we bash the dolphins and you for that matter but then you do the same to the bills on a bills site not a dolphins, do it on dolphin hell but stop coming here and getting all upset that we bash the dolphins but then bash the bills just as bad as we bash the phins. im fine with having miami fans here and am even fine with them saying that buffalo sucks its a rivalry thats what people say but know we are going to say the same about the dolphins so dont get all defensive when we do.

feelthepain
03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
ftp you have no right to say anything bad about any team when the dolphins are in the shape they are in. Sure the bills have their problems and holes but not like the dolphins. You get all upset when we bash the dolphins and you for that matter but then you do the same to the bills on a bills site not a dolphins, do it on dolphin hell but stop coming here and getting all upset that we bash the dolphins but then bash the bills just as bad as we bash the phins. im fine with having miami fans here and am even fine with them saying that buffalo sucks its a rivalry thats what people say but know we are going to say the same about the dolphins so dont get all defensive when we do.

OK, then you won't mind proving this.

Talk0fNewYork
03-26-2007, 10:39 PM
OK, then you won't mind proving this.QB, there i'm done.

feelthepain
03-26-2007, 10:48 PM
QB, there i'm done.

OK, so JP has what? six games in three years that can be considered above avg. and the Bills QB situation is resolved?? Boy talk about being kind about an evaluation.

Tatonka
03-26-2007, 11:00 PM
darwin walker is know as being a run stuffer, not a pass rusher.

he was philly's best lineman at times last season.

Tatonka
03-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Walker, who at times has been one of the team's best linemen and at other times has disappeared, has shown that he can play outside and play it well. And although he often has said he prefers to play inside, he may not have a choice in the matter.

Looking at what the Eagles now have in terms of defensive tackles and defensive ends, it makes sense for the 6-foot-3, 294-pound Walker, who is the team's best all-around run defender, to move to an outside spot on a regular basis, or at least on more than a part-time basis.

http://www.nj.com/columns/times/eckel/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/117479553684110.xml&coll=5

feelthepain
03-27-2007, 12:12 AM
http://www.nj.com/columns/times/eckel/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/117479553684110.xml&coll=5

Hmm, I'd have to disagree with that assesment:

DE: Trent Cole 2nd year player:
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD>16</TD><TD>62</TD><TD>43.0</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>19.0</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DE: Darren Howard

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD>16</TD><TD>35</TD><TD>22.0</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And lets not forget Javon Kearse was injured early on and missed much of the season. I think Walkers numbers were ok, but they weren't that great. I think the stats should say Walker was the Eagles best "interior Dlinemen" at times last year not best Linemen at times, you could say that about all the Dlinemen last year as they all finished with about the same numbers Trent Cole was more impressive then Walker. But the Eagles were not very good at stopping the run last year as they finished just two spots better then the Bills.

Tatonka
03-27-2007, 12:21 AM
your right because a DTs numbers are the best thing use when judging performance

especially compairing a DT to a DE on statistics.

feelthepain
03-27-2007, 12:37 AM
your right because a DTs numbers are the best thing use when judging performance

especially compairing a DT to a DE on statistics.

Tackles are takles sacks are sacks. I understand the difference in the two positions which is why it's hard to call Walker one of the best on the line when he didn't do anything over and above what you'd expect from a DT. Now if he lead the line in tackles and sacks then you'd have a case for him. But the Eagles were all a buzz about Cole last year thats all they talked about. Again Walker wasn't a bad pick up for the Bills, but he's about what you'd expect of a DT. Nothing great, nothing horrible.

gr8slayer
03-27-2007, 12:40 AM
0-2

gr8slayer
03-27-2007, 12:41 AM
OK, so JP has what? six games in three years that can be considered above avg. and the Bills QB situation is resolved?? Boy talk about being kind about an evaluation.
Losman > Culpepper

lightningbolt444
03-27-2007, 02:57 AM

ok qb no starter, wr chambers is a bust has all the tools but cant put it together , your whole defense although strong is getting really old that sooner rather than later they will have a terrible year this year is my guess, to me ronnie brown is the most overrated running back in the league behind mcgahee, your oline is crap.

So some help from you on this one knowing all these facts what Do the dolphins have and you cant even say jp has only played 6 good games and compare that to miami because right now you dont even have a qb that is considered an nfl starter by most peoples standards

jamze132
03-27-2007, 03:11 AM
There's a difference between pass-rushing d-lineman and run-stuffers, too. Granted, some guys can do both well (I think Kyle's kinda in between) but most of the guys on our roster aren't the type to bust up the running plays...and our 'backers will be (at the very least) young. I like Crowell but Ellison to me is only okay. There's another hole.

I don't mind that we picked up Walker. He's better than most of the guys we have. Still, I'm not sure we filled a need here...it looks like we just created another gap at linebacker.
Don't discredit the job that Ellison did last year. Obviousy the FO thinks high enough of him.

jamze132
03-27-2007, 03:16 AM
FTP is just mad because the Bills are going to be better than the Dolphins again this year. It kills him and he can't admit it. He hates the fact that we are doing something to try and improve our team while his team signs guys that beat up other players at a Blackjack table. And not to mention, their QB situation isn't clarified yet. And Ricky ain't the second coming of JC.