PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo draft strategy starting to become evident.

TigerJ
03-26-2007, 11:09 PM
I think the trade of Spikes does a lot to tip Buffalo's hand in the draft.

Before the trade, Buffalo needed a starting RB, depth at LB, an upgrade at DT, FB, and depth at CB. You can also argue they could use upgrades at WR, TE, and DE but they can also make do whith what they've got at those positions.

There appears to be lots of talent at outside linebacker and CB. It's thinner at DT. There is good depth at RB, but few top tier RBs. Buffalo was unsure about the injury status and attitude of Spikes at this point in his career, particularly as a fairly high priced player. I think they saw the talent in the draft at OLB and decided that unloading Spikes was a low risk move. They got a DT out of the deal that effectively removes that position from the Bills' need list. Now the Bills need list looks llike this: Starting RB, starter at OLB or ILB (understanding Crowell's versatility) plus additional depth, FB, and depth at CB. They can still use upgrades at WR, TE, and DE.

Fullback is almost an after thought in the minds of most personnel strategists. The reason for that is simple. The primary thing you need a fullback for is blocking. You don't need rare athletes to be able to block. Instead it is about technique. You can take any highly motivated 250 lb kid with some brains and reasonable athleticism and teach him the techniques he needs. Yeah, I'm exagerating, but they've already had college football. It's just not that tough to find a blocker. Buffalo will probably draft someone late, or sign a fullback as an undrafted rookie, or both, but it's not a major part of their strategy.

If Buffalo is not scared off by Lynch's sore back during his last college season, I think here is an excellent chance he ends up as Buffalo's first round pick. It's also not out of the realm of possibility that Peterson falls. However, Buffalo, we know, has been hedging their bet by looking at second and third tier RBs like DeShawn Wynn.

The wealth of talent and speed at OLB is a major reason why Buffalo pulled the trigger on the Spikes trade. There are no less than a dozen OLBs in the draft who time better than 4.7 in the 40, and most of those are down near 4.6 or better. Some of them tend to be on the smallish side, much to the chagrin of teams that like their OLBs to be big and strong. That's great for Buffalo because speed is far more important to a linebacker in the Tampa 2 than size. Not all of those guys are going to be great NFL linebackers, but several will. The rest can be solid contributors. I think Buffalo believes they can get a solid starting linebacker in the third round, and a depth player on day two of the draft.

Buffalo believes Youboty can start. McGee is a proven starter, though he had a few rough outings last season. Buffalo should be OK if they don't get a starter out of the upcoming draft, but there is a good chance they can get one, or at least one with the talent to start at some time down the road. There are guys with speed and athleticism well into day two of the draft. Of course, speed and athleticism aren't everything. It will be up to the coaching staff to identify the guy who has good instincts and can learn good technique if he doesn't already have it, but there are such guys to be found. I think it more likely Buffalo drafts a CB on day one, but not in round one.

Buffalo will fill in with a WR, TE, DE, or QB as they spot guys they like.

To summarize: The Bills expect to go RB early and get at least one linebacker and one CB on day one. They will also look to get another linebacker on day two of the draft. Other than that, they will look for the proverbial best player, with a special eye toward WR, TE, DE, QB, and FB.

YardRat
03-27-2007, 02:05 AM
Great post, Tiger.

I still won't be surprised if we go corner in the first, though.

DraftBoy
03-27-2007, 07:32 AM
1. OLB Jon Beason
2. CB Chris Houston
3a. WR Jacoby Jones
3b. ILB Quincy Black
4. RB Brandon Jackson
6. DT Deljuan Robinson
7a. CB Bo Smith
7b. OG Kasey Studdard

That would be a good draft imo, and get us in a good place headed into 08

mysticsoto
03-27-2007, 09:18 AM
1. OLB Jon Beason
2. CB Chris Houston
3a. WR Jacoby Jones
3b. ILB Quincy Black
4. RB Brandon Jackson
6. DT Deljuan Robinson
7a. CB Bo Smith
7b. OG Kasey Studdard

That would be a good draft imo, and get us in a good place headed into 08

No QB? I think Buffalo will look to draft one now that Holcomb is gone.

I'd prefer something along these lines:

1. Patrick Willis (ILB)
2. Kenny Irons (RB)
3a. Dameion Hughes (CB)
3b. Quincy Black (OLB)
4. Isaiah Stanback (QB)
6. Courtney Brown (CB)
7a. Mike Walker or Legedu Nanee (WR)
7b. Stephen Berg (OG)

Among the undrafted: FB/TE

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Take Zubransky in the 7th. :up:

Don't Panic
03-28-2007, 10:48 AM
My desires have become pretty simple at this point. At the end of day one, I'd like to be calling Patrick Willis and Brian Leonard Bills. I would be open to anything else... I'm sold on those two, though.

TigerJ
03-28-2007, 11:38 AM
If Buffalo doesn't draft a running back in round one, I do think Patrick Willis is the pick. I lean toward thinking Lynch though because I believe Buffalo would like to have a marquee running back even if they do give Thomas quite a few reps. Despite what we've heard, I'm not buying that Buffalo is sold on the running back by committee approach. After Lynch, everyone has question marks about their game. That's not to say some won't emerge and become great running backs, but it's hard to know who. If Buffalo does go with Willis, then yeah, they will draft someone like Brian Leonard, Brandon Jackson or others, somethere.; It's tough to guess who though.

Night Train
03-29-2007, 05:55 AM
I'm still thinking the Bills are crunching numbers and figuring out if they could afford RB Michael Turner in a trade with the Chargers. What makes me skeptical is Turners agent, Bus Cook, who always thinks his clients deserve double what they are worth. The Bills might be able to agree on trade compensation but Cook may make unrealistic contract demands. That's dumb, considering he'll be a UFA next year when the draft is absolutely loaded with 1st round talent at RB. He'd be smart to get his $$ now.

If not Turner, then I see limited options, based on the fact none of these RB's can block. I'm just not high on Lynch at all. Comments from scouts state he's a bit of a punk. Has some off-field issues. I see red flags and the Bills just got rid of Willis. They want someone not even close to him in personality. Peterson probably won't drop to the Bills and has the durability concerns and upright style that usually spells a short career, outside of Eric Dickerson.

Leonard of Rutgers may only run in the mid 4.5's but he might be the most attractive prospect to the Bills, since he can block a bit, run tough between the tackles and catches the ball as good as any current NFL back. Does have the all around game and just won some award as the top Academic All-American. You would have to think he attracts the Bills attention in a major way.

The Bills have also been watching Brandon Jackson of Nebraska, who does resemble a poor mans Thurman in build and ability. Blocks some, quick cutter/slasher between the tackles. Can catch the ball. Field fast.

Bottom line is that I trust the Bills to do their background checks/homework on all these guys and will put faith in whomever they select.

My guess would be Patrick Willis, if he's there. If not, they may consider an offer to trade down, unless Peterson somehow dropped (I doubt it). Willis has the dynamic TKO type personality from what I've read in reports. Regardless, I sure like his game film. His play lifts the entire team and that's huge to coaches. The Bills wouldn't ignore that.

Then RB's like Leonard, Jackson and maybe a couple other would be looked at in Rounds 2-3. They couldn't gamble any later than the 3rd round on a RB, with such an obvious hole.

I see a CB within the 1st 4 rounds, a WR to push Peerless and maybe a 2nd LB. Like DB listed above, I really like LB Quincy Black of New Mexico. His combine was off the charts ( 41.5 in verticle jump, 4.45 40, 6.88 3 cone..that's insane ! ). When the NFL Network showed his game film, he was jumping high to tip passes, making INTS, stripping the ball, closing fast on RB's and QB's. Seems to have his best still ahead of him. 6-2 240 lbs. Everyone has that one guy they'd like to see their team select somewhere and he's mine.

We'll know by April 29th.

mysticsoto
03-29-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm still thinking the Bills are crunching numbers and figuring out if they could afford RB Michael Turner in a trade with the Chargers. What makes me skeptical is Turners agent, Bus Cook, who always thinks his clients deserve double what they are worth. The Bills might be able to agree on trade compensation but Cook may make unrealistic contract demands. That's dumb, considering he'll be a UFA next year when the draft is absolutely loaded with 1st round talent at RB. He'd be smart to get his $$ now.

If not Turner, then I see limited options, based on the fact none of these RB's can block. I'm just not high on Lynch at all. Comments from scouts state he's a bit of a punk. Has some off-field issues. I see red flags and the Bills just got rid of Willis. They want someone not even close to him in personality. Peterson probably won't drop to the Bills and has the durability concerns and upright style that usually spells a short career, outside of Eric Dickerson.

Leonard of Rutgers may only run in the mid 4.5's but he might be the most attractive prospect to the Bills, since he can block a bit, run tough between the tackles and catches the ball as good as any current NFL back. Does have the all around game and just won some award as the top Academic All-American. You would have to think he attracts the Bills attention in a major way.

The Bills have also been watching Brandon Jackson of Nebraska, who does resemble a poor mans Thurman in build and ability. Blocks some, quick cutter/slasher between the tackles. Can catch the ball. Field fast.

Bottom line is that I trust the Bills to do their background checks/homework on all these guys and will put faith in whomever they select.

My guess would be Patrick Willis, if he's there. If not, they may consider an offer to trade down, unless Peterson somehow dropped (I doubt it). Willis has the dynamic TKO type personality from what I've read in reports. Regardless, I sure like his game film. His play lifts the entire team and that's huge to coaches. The Bills wouldn't ignore that.

Then RB's like Leonard, Jackson and maybe a couple other would be looked at in Rounds 2-3. They couldn't gamble any later than the 3rd round on a RB, with such an obvious hole.

I see a CB within the 1st 4 rounds, a WR to push Peerless and maybe a 2nd LB. Like DB listed above, I really like LB Quincy Black of New Mexico. His combine was off the charts ( 41.5 in verticle jump, 4.45 40, 6.88 3 cone..that's insane ! ). When the NFL Network showed his game film, he was jumping high to tip passes, making INTS, stripping the ball, closing fast on RB's and QB's. Seems to have his best still ahead of him. 6-2 240 lbs. Everyone has that one guy they'd like to see their team select somewhere and he's mine.

We'll know by April 29th.

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. If Willis is there at #12, we absolutely HAVE to take him. There is no better choice. If he is gone...then we have options...we can then pull a trade with SD for Turner as DB has suggested. We can drop down and grab an OLB toward the end of the 1st rd, we could go with Lynch - though personally, I hope not. I don't know that I would recommend taking Okoye any longer given that we got Walker - even though I like Okoye a great deal...

kgun12
03-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Tiger and the rest of the posters in this thread:

MY HATS OFF TO YOU!! this is what I invisioned in my teams chat board. All the posts were well thought though, and any disagreement was done so in a this is my opinion and without attacking the other posters and without name calling. There are a few posters here that should learn what this board should be and this thread is a great example of that. Again thanks, and BTW I agrre with your assesment Tiger, but wouldn't be asgainst most of the other opinions either. I think Marv has set us up nicely for the draft! CAN WAIT!!!

Night Train
04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Couldn't agree more with everything you said. If Willis is there at #12, we absolutely HAVE to take him. There is no better choice. If he is gone...then we have options...we can then pull a trade with SD for Turner as DB has suggested. We can drop down and grab an OLB toward the end of the 1st rd, we could go with Lynch - though personally, I hope not. I don't know that I would recommend taking Okoye any longer given that we got Walker - even though I like Okoye a great deal...

If the Bills are sold on Crowell in the middle, then Jon Beason wouldn't be a bad pick at all. What a tremendous player. He'd start immediately.

I'm starting to think Turner will cost a 2nd this year and another day 1 pick next year. Since we got picks for McGahee, I'm not worried. Make the trade. This RB pool stinks beyond Peterson.

If we wound up with Turner and either Willis or Beason, I'd be thrilled. Then we could fill other depth concerns with the remaining picks.