• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Ripple effect from trade

SPIKES TRADE RIPPLE EFFECT: The ripple effect from the Spikes trade is significant. Now with only 7 LBs on the roster counting Coy Wire, Buffalo will have to draft at least 2 LBs in my opinion, one early to fill a starting role and one in the middle to late rounds to provide depth. Patrick Willis is looking pretty good to me at this point at 12.
    This is why the Bills defensive staff wouldn't definitively say that Crowell would man the MLB spot because knowing they'd move Spikes, Crowell could be anywhere. If the Bills draft a MLB capable of starting (like Willis) Crowell would presumably play in Spikes spot on the strong side and likely still make the defensive calls from there. If they take an OLB (like Pozluszny) then Crowell would play inside.
    This also means that Ellison is the odds on favorite to man the weak side as the starter this season, which I don't mind. I like what I saw out of him as a rookie and the staff thinks highly of him.
    Also this likely means that the Bills will make Craig Nall the definitive number two and possibly draft a developmental prospect at QB to be the 3rd. Of course they may just bring in a rookie free agent.
    The rotation at DT will also bear watching.
    I just pray Willis is there at #12. If not, trade down and get Timmons, but I'd rather just stay put and get Willis.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Ripple effect from trade

Willis would be nice and another LB later makes sense.

I'll just take the draft as it comes and hope we draft wisely, when our turns come up. Becoming polarized on one player is beyond foolish, when you have no control over the teams picking ahead of you. Read up on multiple players and keep an open mind.

Last year, this place freaked when Whitner was picked. Broderick Bunkley was the latest can't miss " beast " many focused on and screamed for, based on his bench press merit badge. Turned out, he didn't have any pass rush moves and tried to bull rush Guards 40 lbs. heavier and failed. Bunkley rode the bench most of the year, not even suiting up for many games. Walker started ahead of him. Now because of salary, he must play and we get Walker.

Let's keep things in perspective over the next month. I'm fine with Willis but he's not the only option at LB.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Tinboy
      • Aug 2004

Pozluszny or Willis. I would for Pozluszny (perhaps trade down a bit and still get him) and go for Buster Davis round 2 or 3.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

While I see we have a dire LB need, everyone is forgetting that we don't really have a running back either. I'm a bit worried.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
          While I see we have a dire LB need, everyone is forgetting that we don't really have a running back either. I'm a bit worried.
          we have two 3rd round picks and RB talent can be found in the 2nd or 3rd round. LB is much more of a priority at the moment.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

I think Marv is setting us up really nicely for the draft. There should no longer be the need to take a DT early, so we can concentrate on LB and RB, and we have 4 picks on day one. We should be able to fill those needs with good players, and still have the flexibility to take a WR, CB, another LB, or. . . who knows?

I have learned not to get too invested in any particular player, but I would hope to see LB, RB and WR on day one, and the trade for Walker lets us do that.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• DMBcrew36
              • Feb 2005

I think we take LB in round 1, RB in round 2

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                we have two 3rd round picks and RB talent can be found in the 2nd or 3rd round. LB is much more of a priority at the moment.
                Couldn't have said it better myself. Although it would be nice to have Lynch, I think it's more of a prioity in RD1 to get the best LB available, whether it be Timmons or Willis. We can either come back into the 1st to get Lynch (although highly doubtful) or get one in the 2nd round.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                  • Sep 2003

We will have another RB on the roster prior to the draft either C. Brown or M. Turner. Also do not forget that Briggs will most likley (80%) be traded!

Sign C. Brown
                  Offer our 2nd to Chicago for Briggs!

Comment

• Devin
                    The Octagon
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                    We will have another RB on the roster prior to the draft either C. Brown or M. Turner. Also do not forget that Briggs will most likley (80%) be traded!

Sign C. Brown
                    Offer our 2nd to Chicago for Briggs!
                    You clearly missed the thread about the Skins offering up thier 6th overall pick for Briggs and the bears 31st overall.

Which leads me to believe a 2nd rounder wont quite cut it........
                    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

I think Marv may reach for an OLB, and the guy I currently like alot is Jon Beason from tha U
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• njsue
                        Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                        • Sep 2003

I am so disappointed that they traded Takeo!

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Devin
                          You clearly missed the thread about the Skins offering up thier 6th overall pick for Briggs and the bears 31st overall.

Which leads me to believe a 2nd rounder wont quite cut it........

Got link?

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                            • Sep 2003

Crap, found it!

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              I think Marv may reach for an OLB, and the guy I currently like alot is Jon Beason from tha U
                              So you are Mike Mayock Jr .

That's Mayocks' favorite LB in the Draft.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X