PDA

View Full Version : Ripple effect from trade

Don't Panic
03-27-2007, 04:23 AM
http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1197

SPIKES TRADE RIPPLE EFFECT: The ripple effect from the Spikes trade is significant. Now with only 7 LBs on the roster counting Coy Wire, Buffalo will have to draft at least 2 LBs in my opinion, one early to fill a starting role and one in the middle to late rounds to provide depth. Patrick Willis is looking pretty good to me at this point at 12.
This is why the Bills defensive staff wouldn't definitively say that Crowell would man the MLB spot because knowing they'd move Spikes, Crowell could be anywhere. If the Bills draft a MLB capable of starting (like Willis) Crowell would presumably play in Spikes spot on the strong side and likely still make the defensive calls from there. If they take an OLB (like Pozluszny) then Crowell would play inside.
This also means that Ellison is the odds on favorite to man the weak side as the starter this season, which I don't mind. I like what I saw out of him as a rookie and the staff thinks highly of him.
Also this likely means that the Bills will make Craig Nall the definitive number two and possibly draft a developmental prospect at QB to be the 3rd. Of course they may just bring in a rookie free agent.
The rotation at DT will also bear watching.

I just pray Willis is there at #12. If not, trade down and get Timmons, but I'd rather just stay put and get Willis. :pray:

Night Train
03-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Willis would be nice and another LB later makes sense.

I'll just take the draft as it comes and hope we draft wisely, when our turns come up. Becoming polarized on one player is beyond foolish, when you have no control over the teams picking ahead of you. Read up on multiple players and keep an open mind.

Last year, this place freaked when Whitner was picked. Broderick Bunkley was the latest can't miss " beast " many focused on and screamed for, based on his bench press merit badge. Turned out, he didn't have any pass rush moves and tried to bull rush Guards 40 lbs. heavier and failed. Bunkley rode the bench most of the year, not even suiting up for many games. Walker started ahead of him. Now because of salary, he must play and we get Walker.

Let's keep things in perspective over the next month. I'm fine with Willis but he's not the only option at LB.

Tinboy
03-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Pozluszny or Willis. I would for Pozluszny (perhaps trade down a bit and still get him) and go for Buster Davis round 2 or 3.

Mr. Miyagi
03-27-2007, 06:35 AM
While I see we have a dire LB need, everyone is forgetting that we don't really have a running back either. I'm a bit worried.

OpIv37
03-27-2007, 06:43 AM
While I see we have a dire LB need, everyone is forgetting that we don't really have a running back either. I'm a bit worried.

we have two 3rd round picks and RB talent can be found in the 2nd or 3rd round. LB is much more of a priority at the moment.

Jan Reimers
03-27-2007, 06:58 AM
I think Marv is setting us up really nicely for the draft. There should no longer be the need to take a DT early, so we can concentrate on LB and RB, and we have 4 picks on day one. We should be able to fill those needs with good players, and still have the flexibility to take a WR, CB, another LB, or. . . who knows?

I have learned not to get too invested in any particular player, but I would hope to see LB, RB and WR on day one, and the trade for Walker lets us do that.

DMBcrew36
03-27-2007, 07:11 AM
I think we take LB in round 1, RB in round 2

jamze132
03-27-2007, 07:12 AM
we have two 3rd round picks and RB talent can be found in the 2nd or 3rd round. LB is much more of a priority at the moment.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Although it would be nice to have Lynch, I think it's more of a prioity in RD1 to get the best LB available, whether it be Timmons or Willis. We can either come back into the 1st to get Lynch (although highly doubtful) or get one in the 2nd round.

alohabillsfan
03-27-2007, 07:13 AM
We will have another RB on the roster prior to the draft either C. Brown or M. Turner. Also do not forget that Briggs will most likley (80%) be traded!

Sign C. Brown
Offer our 2nd to Chicago for Briggs!

Devin
03-27-2007, 07:16 AM
We will have another RB on the roster prior to the draft either C. Brown or M. Turner. Also do not forget that Briggs will most likley (80%) be traded!

Sign C. Brown
Offer our 2nd to Chicago for Briggs!

You clearly missed the thread about the Skins offering up thier 6th overall pick for Briggs and the bears 31st overall.

Which leads me to believe a 2nd rounder wont quite cut it........

DraftBoy
03-27-2007, 07:34 AM
I think Marv may reach for an OLB, and the guy I currently like alot is Jon Beason from tha U

njsue
03-27-2007, 07:37 AM
I am so disappointed that they traded Takeo! :(

alohabillsfan
03-27-2007, 07:38 AM
You clearly missed the thread about the Skins offering up thier 6th overall pick for Briggs and the bears 31st overall.

Which leads me to believe a 2nd rounder wont quite cut it........

Got link?

alohabillsfan
03-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Crap, found it!

Night Train
03-27-2007, 07:41 AM
I think Marv may reach for an OLB, and the guy I currently like alot is Jon Beason from tha U

So you are Mike Mayock Jr . :respect:

That's Mayocks' favorite LB in the Draft.

Devin
03-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Yeah I have a few......

Saratoga Slim
03-27-2007, 08:50 AM
I think Marv is setting us up really nicely for the draft. There should no longer be the need to take a DT early, so we can concentrate on LB and RB, and we have 4 picks on day one. We should be able to fill those needs with good players, and still have the flexibility to take a WR, CB, another LB, or. . . who knows?

I have learned not to get too invested in any particular player, but I would hope to see LB, RB and WR on day one, and the trade for Walker lets us do that.

I agree that the Walker trade gives us more flexibility, as I'd have to think that we can forget about Okoye at 12, though Chris Brown's blog suggests that DT is still a possibility. I'm honestly scratching my head a bit, as Walker seems like another player in the Triplett/McCargo rotation, when we needed help more at NT.

I think we're taking a LB at 12 unless Peterson somehow falls. And if Peterson does fall and we take him, I think Marv may very well try to scramble back into the 1st round to get Timmons/Beason/Posluszny if it looks like the three of them are all going to go.

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 09:14 AM
here's the ripple effect.....

I was gonna buy stocks for Kleenex because of the crybabies here now I'm gonna have to invest my money somewhere.

mysticsoto
03-27-2007, 09:24 AM
here's the ripple effect.....

I was gonna buy stocks for Kleenex because of the crybabies here now I'm gonna have to invest my money somewhere.

Why? Did Op or Pat leave? :D

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Why? Did Op or Pat leave? :D Don't hold you breath ,it won't be quiet for long. Where do you think the rain in WNY is coming from? Ripple effect.

Don't Panic
03-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I think that OBD has shown they are willing to allow both DTs to be pass rushers and leave the run-stopping to the LBers. If they get ample penetartion, we will really get to see what this scheme can do, as this is the first requirement if you are going to run this type of defense. This will do two things:

1. Take soem pressure off the CBs (Youboty's segue to starter will be greatly served by that)
2. Put more pressure on the MLB

Whoever lines up at MLB is going to have a ton of responsibility between checking the run and dropping back to cover the middle in pass coverage. He will have to be able to cover ground quickly. To me, Crowell is not that guy. He is a perfect OLB in this scheme. To me, the only legitimate possibility for this scheme is Patrick Willis. Granted, he will have to learn on the fly, but he brings the perfect blend of skills to do it. After the Spikes trade, I am almost to the point where I would say that Willis absolutely needs to be the man at #12, especially if he falls to us. I'm even tempted to trade up for him if we're worried he'll go earlier (which I still think is doubtful).