PDA

View Full Version : The Fact that many of you seem to forgetting about Spikes and the Trade

THATHURMANATOR
03-27-2007, 08:30 AM
The fact that Spikes has pretty much been a non factor for this team going on 2 years because of his injury. Some of you are acting like we are replacing the Spikes of 3 years ago, which is clearly not the case. We are replacing a name who is a shell of his former self. I am rooting for him to bounce back a bit in Philly and have a nice finish to his career but are we really losing anything in this trade?

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2007, 08:38 AM
I am rooting for him to bounce back a bit in Philly and have a nice finish to his career but are we really losing anything in this trade?
Yes. $4.5 mil in salary.

THATHURMANATOR
03-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Yes. $4.5 mil in salary.
Good point! We even save money.

Saratoga Slim
03-27-2007, 09:14 AM
I think that apart from the financial savings, it remains to be seen whether we gained or lost. We traded the uncertainty of Spikes' recovery for the uncertainty of Walker's value to a line that already includes several 290 lb pass rushing DTs.

I'm OK with the deal, as I think it was a far better move for us than losing TKO for a draft pick. And if nothing else, we added quality depth to the DT rotation, which will certainly help. But if Spikes returns to form, which is not out of the realm of possibilties, we're all going to be a little annoyed

mchurchfie
03-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Spikes will excell in their defenseive scheme and with the players surrounding him. It was his time to go, he clearly wasn't happy or inspired in Buffalo anymore. I have no regrets with this trade.

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Thurm, you're forgetting about how Gaughan was "in the know" of all the media writers when he said it was a pure cap move and some so called bills fan called Marv is cheap because Gaughan had credibility. Screw those sports writers, what do they know?

THATHURMANATOR
03-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Thurm, you're forgetting about how Gaughan was "in the know" of all the media writers when he said it was a pure cap move and some so called bills fan called Marv is cheap because Gaughan had credibility. Screw those sports writers, what do they know?
To say it was a pure cap move is ludacris. From all accounts, including first hand watching him Spikes had regressed as a player. Spikes was the one who asked to be traded. How is that a pure cap move? Sure it was partly a cap move but not 100%.

Philagape
03-27-2007, 09:30 AM

How does the trade refute any of that? They did exactly what Gaughan said they would do -- dump Spikes' salary, and even a little on top of that since Holcomb makes more than Walker. I bet that without Holcomb, this trade wouldn't have happened. We probably had to convince the Eagles to take him. I give Marv credit for finding a guy who somewhat fills a need and comes cheap. Spikes was gone no matter what; if Walker does halfway decent for us, that's a bonus.
Gaughan was right, and he certainly has more credibility than anyone here.

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 09:53 AM
How does the trade refute any of that? They did exactly what Gaughan said they would do -- dump Spikes' salary, and even a little on top of that since Holcomb makes more than Walker. I bet that without Holcomb, this trade wouldn't have happened. We probably had to convince the Eagles to take him. I give Marv credit for finding a guy who somewhat fills a need and comes cheap. Spikes was gone no matter what; if Walker does halfway decent for us, that's a bonus.
Gaughan was right, and he certainly has more credibility than anyone here.
to imply it was a PURE cap move isn't exactly precise. Cap was part but it also rid us of a questionable player and addressed the DL at the same time.