PDA

View Full Version : Why the boner for Michael Turner?

Mr. Miyagi
03-27-2007, 10:52 AM
He's been nothing but a backup so far. Yes we've seen him have good games but it always comes after Tomlinson has worn down the defense and playing with a huge lead. Has he ever been a starter? No. Has he ever carried the load for the whole season? No.

What has he done to be so sought after? He's another Matt Schaub. It's all about hype, has proven nothing to deserve all the love.

I'm not giving up a 2nd and a 3rd for "potential". Not after Rob Johnson.

RockStar36
03-27-2007, 10:53 AM
:up:

I totally agree.

Mr. Miyagi
03-27-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm not saying he sucks. He could very well be the next Priest Holmes. But hell nobody knows. No reason to lust after him and throw multiple high picks away for him.

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2007, 10:57 AM
I agree. Turner is not worth all the hype.

THATHURMANATOR
03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
I havent popped a full fledged boner for the guy either. A mini chub but only for a 3rd round pick

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 11:04 AM
You could have sat here some years ago and started the same exact thread with backups at the time such as:

* Why the boner for Priest Holmes
* Why the boner for Larry Johnson.

You can either play or you can't. He will never carry the load for SD because they have the best player in football with LT.

You don't average 6.0 yards over 157 carries by accident.
He had TD RUNS of 83 and 73 yards.. when is the last time ANY Bill has done that?

Better YPG stats should be judged when your team is ahead and your opponent is playing the run... He averages 6.3 YPG then (64-403)..

He averages 9.8 YPG when SD was in their own red zone.. that's ridiculously sick.

There's a huge reason SD wont just give him away.. He's got sickening skills.

How could anyone say he's not worth a minimum 2nd rounder? He may be better than Peterson AND LYNCh, and at worse he's a 50x more sure thing than anyone in the PIttman, Irons, Hunt, Bush class.

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Why the boner for Curtis Enis?

Why the boner for Kijana Carter?

Night Train
03-27-2007, 11:06 AM
He's built like a bowling ball at 5-10 240 and would seem to fit behind our suddenly huge OL. How often do you see a guy with that build as a teams primary kick returner ? Think speed. He's had a couple starts and played well.

If he could be our RB for a 2nd round pick, why frown on it ? Who's superior in Round 2, in this weak RB draft ? Unproven NFL talent.

I doubt we'll make the move anyhow but he's an interesting player.

Matt Schaub ? Who cares ? How about Brett Favre, that bum Atlanta dumped on Green Bay years back ?

I guess you can window dress anything to make your position look stronger.

I can't believe RJ was brought into a Michael Turner thread. Good grief, what a reach.

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Why the boner for Curtis Enis?

Why the boner for Kijana Carter?
******ed statement.
]
You just named players who were great in college and did NOTHING in the pros.. Turner is the exact opposite, who's proving it in the NFL .

I can go ANY position in football and say the same thing. Senseless.

Then again, its coming from a guy who thinks we should be drafting Leon Hall

THATHURMANATOR
03-27-2007, 11:08 AM
You could have sat here some years ago and started the same exact thread with backups at the time such as:

You can either play or you can't. He will never carry the load for SD because they have the best player in football with LT.

He had TD RUNS of 83 and 73 yards.. when is the last time ANY Bill has done that?

Better YPG stats should be judged when your team is ahead and your opponent is playing the run... He averages 6.3 YPG then (64-403)..

He averages 9.8 YPG when SD was in their own red zone.. that's ridiculously sick.

How could anyone say he's not worth a minimum 2nd rounder? He may be better than Peterson AND LYNCh, and at worse he's a 50x more sure thing than anyone in the PIttman, Irons, Hunt, Bush class.

I agree he is a solid player but what round was he drafted in? Whos to say Bush for example couldn't be just as good?

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 11:10 AM
I agree he is a solid player but what round was he drafted in? Whos to say Bush for example couldn't be just as good?
Turner is still young.. why would you want to take a chance on a college guy becoming a good pro, as opposed to a young player who's already is proving in the NFL what a lethal weapon he is?

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2007, 11:10 AM
******ed statement.
]
You just named players who were great in college and did NOTHING in the pros.. Turner is the exact opposite, who's proving it in the NFL .

I can go ANY position in football and say the same thing. Senseless.

Then again, its coming from a guy who thinks we should be drafting Leon Hall
Yeah, a guy who hasn't rushed for 1000 yards total in his 3 year career is "proven".

A Train has 2 seasons better than Turner's whole career.

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Do you mean A-Train and his 3.1 YPG average over the past three years?

Keyshawn Johnson was great in 2001 as well. Maybe we should trade for him.

Static
03-27-2007, 11:12 AM
You'll be able to find a guy like turner in the draft and only have to use one pick on him.

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Maybe SD will take a third for LT, since Turner is so great.

alohabillsfan
03-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Offer our second no more! We still have needs at CB, OLB, MLB, and WR that is to many "needs" to give away picks.

THATHURMANATOR
03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Turner is still young.. why would you want to take a chance on a college guy becoming a good pro, as opposed to a young player who's already is proving in the NFL what a lethal weapon he is?
They want too much for him? :idunno:

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 11:18 AM
They want too much for him? :idunno:
Agreed.. a 1st and a 3rd is too much for him.

If they come down, and I think they'll have too unless they want to end up with nothing for him.. I think he can be had for a second rounder.

And if I was the bills i'd jump all over that-- unless someone in here is confient Pittman or Ironsa are going to average 6.0 yards per carry in the NFL after being drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round.

A couple of the second tier guys may become good pros, but who knows.. Turner is already PROVING he is, he's not an unknown prospect.

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 11:18 AM
it also my be totally irrelevant..

Because if Willis is off the board, I dont see how they could possibly pass on Marshawn Lynch.

THATHURMANATOR
03-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Agreed.. a 1st and a 3rd is too much for him.

If they come down, and I think they'll have too unless they want to end up with nothing for him.. I think he can be had for a second rounder.

And if I was the bills i'd jump all over that-- unless someone in here is confient Pittman or Ironsa are going to average 6.0 yards per carry in the NFL after being drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round.

A couple of the second tier guys may become good pros, but who knows.. Turner is already PROVING he is, he's not an unknown prospect.
For a second sure.

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 11:23 AM
For a second sure.
That's all I ever implied.. I said a second and a third next year. Its still worth it to me.

I never said giving up a first for him was the right move.. thats a little too nuts.

Saratoga Slim
03-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm not saying he sucks. He could very well be the next Priest Holmes. But hell nobody knows. No reason to lust after him and throw multiple high picks away for him.

We're drafting a running back one way or another, so you need to compare the RB we might draft to Turner. Is there anyone in the 2nd-3rd round that is more likely to be a standout back for us than Michael Turner? Not that I can see. Turner at the very least has an NFL track record. It's not a long record, but its an impressive one. He's simply less of a risk than Bush, Pittman, Irons etc. I have no problem whatsoever giving up a 2nd rounder for him, because I'd feel more confident going into the season with Turner/A-Train than rookie/A-train (unless that rookie was Peterson, in which case it'd be a toss up for me).

As to the extra first day pick? We do have two 3rd rounders next year. Baltimore's pick is probably going to be late in the 3rd, so I think I'd do that too.

Will San Diego take the bait? I doubt it. I think they're thinking Super Bowl this year, and want to have as many weapons as possible available.

Devin
03-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Turner > probably about 15-16 starting RB's

And I cant wait til he is so I can issue I told you so's.

camelcowboy
03-27-2007, 12:01 PM
I am sick of all you tools comparing Turner to Schaub, and Rojo. For a second round pick he would be a better back then anyone left on the board. I would take him over Peterson, and Lynch. With our improved oline, he has little ware on him, he's young he can catch out of the back field as well. He's a big back that can make people miss and has very good speed as well. I have started many threads stating my case for turner and i have addressed everyone of the issues that Miyagi has questioned. If the bills trade for Turner it will be the best move of the offseason for any team. screw it, here i go again.

We don't know if he can handle a full load in the NFL: Adrian Peterson can't handle a full load in college. Lynch has split time every year in college. We don't know if they can handle the load either. The platoon system is all the rage these days in the NFL so the plan for any new back on the bills is to split time with the A-train. This isn't a issue.

He did mop up work for L.T.: Yeah, well for a defense being tired im going to give just as much credit to their offensive line. Offensive lines ware out a defense as much as a good back.

Bottom line- Turner is a good young back who has shown behind a good offensive line he can be real good. 6.1 ypc speaks for its self. I have watched him run linebackers over and drag piles of tacklers. if you can get him for a second do it in a heart beat. I don't think a 1st and 3rd would be worth it though. Too many needs for this team, i would think about using the 12 overall pick on him myself, but i don't think they would do that.

RockStar36
03-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Turner > probably about 15-16 starting RB's

And I cant wait til he is so I can issue I told you so's.

Why is he so good though?

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Who's to say that the Chargers will settle for a 2nd?

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 12:04 PM
See Camel's post a couple of spots above.. He said it perfectly..

Devin
03-27-2007, 12:08 PM

I dont really know how to answer that......have you seen him play?

Maybe a better way to say it is MM's argument....that "because hes behind LT" or "Because he has a great OL".....etc is a pretty weak argument.

Sure they help but his 6.0 ypc average is more him then them. And hes busted runs of 70+ the past two seasons. He has the speed and ability to hit take it to the house anytime. Did Willis ever......nevermind.

A bigger, faster version of Willis. The guy busted 24 1st downs on 80 carries. Willis had 48 all last season.

There is a reason hes tagged high, and a ton of teams are looking at him. The only reason this guy isnt starting is because he plays behind LT.

camelcowboy
03-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Who's to say that the Chargers will settle for a 2nd?

They may not, but he's going to leave next year for nothing. I think they would really think about a 2nd round pick for him. It might cost you a conditional pick next year. Which i would do in a heart beat. If the briggs deal goes down maybe the bills could do something simular for Turner.

Our number 12 pick for the chargers pick and Turner. Maybe we throw in another 2nd day pick. I have seen alot more trades this year then any years i can remember. I can see something happening with turner this year.

RockStar36
03-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I dont really know how to answer that......have you seen him play?

Maybe a better way to say it is MM's argument....that "because hes behind LT" or "Because he has a great OL".....etc is a pretty weak argument.

Sure they help but his 6.0 ypc average is more him then them. And hes busted runs of 70+ the past two seasons. He has the speed and ability to hit take it to the house anytime. Did Willis ever......nevermind.

A bigger, faster version of Willis. The guy busted 24 1st downs on 80 carries. Willis had 48 all last season.

There is a reason hes tagged high, and a ton of teams are looking at him. The only reason this guy isnt starting is because he plays behind LT.

I've seen him play.

But I also watched Lamont Jordan play behind Curtis Martin and I've seen him play as a full time starter as well.

THATHURMANATOR
03-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I've seen him play.

But I also watched Lamont Jordan play behind Curtis Martin and I've seen him play as a full time starter as well.
Decent comparison. They even somewhat remind me of each other.

jdbillsfan
03-27-2007, 12:30 PM
The one reason why I would want to wait to make the trade for the 2nd rounder is to see if by some crazy reason Peterson fell to the Bills.

Otherwise, trade turner for a 2nd and draft an LB/WR in the first.

Devin
03-27-2007, 12:31 PM
I've seen him play.

Jordan was no where near as productive, and doesnt have the speed/ability Turner has.

Even so, Jordan had almost 1600 total yards in 05 on a terrible team. Had he not been injured in 06 who knows. So unless there is some reason you wouldnt......id sure take 1600+ total yards from my RB any day. And we have a better team. Well offense anyway.

Ickybaluky
03-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Decent comparison. They even somewhat remind me of each other.

The big difference is speed. They are actually about the same height, but Turner is a little bigger and much more sudden.

Watch the guy play. He is a legitimate 4.4 guy with a fullbacks body. You don't see that often.

Mr. Miyagi
03-30-2007, 09:40 AM
I've seen him play.

That's what I'm saying.

If we can get him with a 2nd I'm all for it. But no way I'm throwing in any more than that for potential. LaMont Jordan is a great example.

Devin
03-30-2007, 09:50 AM
That's what I'm saying.

If we can get him with a 2nd I'm all for it. But no way I'm throwing in any more than that for potential. LaMont Jordan is a great example.

To my knowledge Jordan had a pretty produ8ctive year in 05, had he not been injured in 06 who knows.

madness
03-30-2007, 10:22 AM
The big difference is speed. They are actually about the same height, but Turner is a little bigger and much more sudden.

Watch the guy play. He is a legitimate 4.4 guy with a fullbacks body. You don't see that often.

So why the hype for Michael Turner?

:spit: Sorry, I can't even begin to try to be serious when saying that. One of my bud's is a Chargers fan so I've watched quite a few games with him. Anybody doubting Turner needs watch some game tape.

Remember the guy on the playground everyone was afraid to tackle? Combine him with the guy everybody couldn't catch.

Devin
03-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Remember the guy on the playground everyone was afraid to tackle? Combine him with the guy everybody couldn't catch.

Probably the best way ive seen it put. :up:

HAMMER
03-30-2007, 10:43 AM
So why the hype for Michael Turner?

:spit: Sorry, I can't even begin to try to be serious when saying that. One of my bud's is a Chargers fan so I've watched quite a few games with him. Anybody doubting Turner needs watch some game tape.

Tis true, I attended three Chargers games last year and was thoroughly impressed with Turner when he touched the ball. He had me jumping out of my seat a couple times drunkenly screaming the wrong name. My buddy is a season ticket holder and he would be pissed if SD moved Turner.

If I'm AJ Smith, Turner stays in SD and is my insurance policy. Bolts are poised to make a run at the SB and if LT went down they would be F...ed w/o Turner.

Bond
03-30-2007, 10:50 AM

Bush had another surgery and its doubtful he's going to play next season, plus, he's a Ron Dayne/Brandon Jacobs clone

MVP
03-30-2007, 11:09 AM
But the thing is Turner will not carry the load so he'll be a great pickup, he and A-train would be great together

Kenny
03-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Bush had another surgery and its doubtful he's going to play next season, plus, he's a Ron Dayne/Brandon Jacobs clone

I see the Ron Dayne comparison (big body, not fast, and isnt at all physical)... but isnt Brandon Jacobs one of those punishing rb's?

justasportsfan
03-30-2007, 11:33 AM
I think both sides have valid points . He definitely has impressive nos. What isn't known about him is if he can be a workhorse in the NFL. Then again that question can be asked about every rb coming out of college.

It really shouldn't be much of concern because our coaches love rotating at almost every position except qb.

It all boils down to how much SD wants and if our coaches believe he can be a franchise back. I certainly wouldn't mind having him here but not for a 1st and a 3rd. I love that he has a lowl center of gravity but heavy enough to bulldoze through players as well.

Another question is how good his hands are. Like I've said in the past, Marv is gonna want his Thurman and Farichild is gonna want his Steve Jackson. Both rb's can catch. This is probably why we didn't go for Henry. He can't catch.

patmoran2006
03-30-2007, 11:47 AM
I think both sides have valid points . He definitely has impressive nos. What isn't known about him is if he can be a workhorse in the NFL. Then again that question can be asked about every rb coming out of college.

It really shouldn't be much of concern because our coaches love rotating at almost every position except qb.

It all boils down to how much SD wants and if our coaches believe he can be a franchise back. I certainly wouldn't mind having him here but not for a 1st and a 3rd. I love that he has a lowl center of gravity but heavy enough to bulldoze through players as well.

Another question is how good his hands are. Like I've said in the past, Marv is gonna want his Thurman and Farichild is gonna want his Steve Jackson. Both rb's can catch. This is probably why we didn't go for Henry. He can't catch.
wow, thats actually a good post.. whats the occasion?
J/K

Saratoga Slim
03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
That is a good question. You know, when you hear people talk about running backs and ability to catch the ball, I can't help but wonder how bad at catching things these guys are. I mean, a RB only really has to catch screens, swing passes, and outlet passes, all of which are usually softly thrown. It's not like anybody's asking these guys to catch a bullet in the corner of the endzone over a defensive back.

patmoran2006
03-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Saratoga.

are you slacking at work like I am again?

Tatonka
03-30-2007, 01:34 PM

i agree completely.

we would be trading for the guy based on MORE than potential.

Potential is what you get from a college running back.. a guy that has never played a single down in the nfl.. peterson or lynch could be blair thomas or curtis enis. they have never run against an NFL defense so we dont know for sure that they can do it like they did it in college.

with a guy like turner, you get a guy that was productive in college and has shown in a good amount of spot duty in the nfl that he CAN do it against a true nfl defense.. and the whole thing about LT wearing the opposition down and putting him when the chargers had the lead.. we wouldnt you think that teams would be MORE focused on the run if they are playing a team with a big lead? it should be HARDER to run when you have the lead because teams dont want to let you kill the clock with the run.. and those are specifically the times when turner had just killed people.

i cant see any reason to believe that this kid wont be a great running back.

i would actually prefer him over peterson or lynch at this point.. he isnt injury prone like peterson.. and he isnt a questionable character guy like lynch (granted it is debatable about lynches character).. we know this because he has been in the nfl and he has not gotten into any trouble. he has learned behind the best running back in the nfl and one of the best ever in LT..

i want michael turner and would give up a lot to get him (as much as we would to get one of the other top running backs).. so being that we may be able to get him for less than that (maybe a second round pick, or swapping firsts or whatever).. hell i am all about it.

i know that turner looks like the best option to me at running back and can be had for the same that we would have to spend to get a guy like pittman or jackson.. hell.. i would do it in a second.

so that is why i have a full on woody for the guy.

Tatonka
03-30-2007, 01:37 PM
You'll be able to find a guy like turner in the draft and only have to use one pick on him.

oh, really?

well hell.. can you give me the lotto numbers too for this weeks megamillions?

:snicker:

Mr. Miyagi
03-30-2007, 01:41 PM
iso being that we may be able to get him for less than that (maybe a second round pick, or swapping firsts or whatever).. hell i am all about it.
I could live with swapping 1st or giving a straight up 2nd for him. No more though.

Tatonka
03-30-2007, 01:42 PM
I've seen him play.

lamont jordan has been a good running back for the raiders.. he was very good 2 years ago when the raiders were still classified as an nfl team.. do you honestly believe that LT could have run behind oaklands OL last year? any stats for all players on that team should be thrown out for last year.. that team was a total disaster and everyone knew it the second they hired art shell again.

i would take jordan as a bill in a heartbeat.

Tatonka
03-30-2007, 01:44 PM
That's what I'm saying.

bro, no one is saying that.. us swapping firsts and getting a late third is the same point value as a 2nd round pick.

NO one has said lets give up our first round pick!

madness
03-30-2007, 01:46 PM
oh, really?

well hell.. can you give me the lotto numbers too for this weeks megamillions?

:snicker:

Can't blame the guy. He obviously doesn't want Turner to come to Buffalo either. :squish:

Tatonka
03-30-2007, 01:49 PM
let me put this another way..

lets say we draft lynch.. and in his first year.. he splits time with atrain and racks up 500 yards and averages 6 yards a carry and also breaks off a couple 70+ yard DT runs in garbage time..

you guys would be doing ****ing back flips about his "potential" the following year, would you not?

Tatonka
03-30-2007, 02:44 PM
i was just on the afternoon blitz with shine and miller..

they opened the show commentary on how they loved turner for the bills. they are sold on the guy.

i called in and they actually put me right through. which was nice not to have to stay on hold for an hour.

i basically proposed the idea of the swapping 1st round picks idea, and they liked it, but said that they would not recommend getting out of the willis sweepstakes, as we could really use them.

they agreed with me that it is no fluke that the guy has produced the way he has regardless of if he is a back up or not.. 150 carries is 150 carries.. if you can average that many yards per carry (6 ypc) in the nfl, your not a bad running back. it would clear the way for us to use our other draft picks on other options or holes that we need to fill.

they said we should try and get him as it would be a huge upgrade for the team.

they recommended trading our 2nd round pick, but said that it may not happen till draft day when the chargers can see who is on the board.

justasportsfan
03-30-2007, 02:54 PM
It's almost like comparing him to Jones-Drew who I would love to have here . Both had awsome rushing nos when they were on the field except that the latter can definitely catch.

Turner last year had 3 catches for 47 yards (15.7 ypc) but his longest was 30 yds. If you take away his longest catch :hitself:

Mr. Miyagi
03-30-2007, 02:58 PM
i was just on the afternoon blitz with shine and miller..

they opened the show commentary on how they loved turner for the bills. they are sold on the guy.

i called in and they actually put me right through. which was nice not to have to stay on hold for an hour.

i basically proposed the idea of the swapping 1st round picks idea, and they liked it, but said that they would not recommend getting out of the willis sweepstakes, as we could really use them.

they agreed with me that it is no fluke that the guy has produced the way he has regardless of if he is a back up or not.. 150 carries is 150 carries.. if you can average that many yards per carry (6 ypc) in the nfl, your not a bad running back. it would clear the way for us to use our other draft picks on other options or holes that we need to fill.

they said we should try and get him as it would be a huge upgrade for the team.

they recommended trading our 2nd round pick, but said that it may not happen till draft day when the chargers can see who is on the board.
I'm so surprised they said something positive for the Bills. Jim Miller usually hates us with a passion. Schein used to hate us too until Jauron became a regular guest then he started sucking up to Dick (pun intended) and now is somewhat neutral about us.

camelcowboy
03-30-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm so surprised they said something positive for the Bills. Jim Miller usually hates us with a passion. Schein used to hate us too until Jauron became a regular guest then he started sucking up to Dick (pun intended) and now is somewhat neutral about us.
Miller and Schein love us compared to Kurwin and Tim Ryan they never have anything nice to say about the bills.

Throne Logic
03-30-2007, 05:02 PM
I'd be happy to give up a second rounder for Turner. I'd be happy with swapping first rounder picks for him. I might not even complain about straight up trading that first rounder for him alone.

The chances of Turner being a dud in Buffalo are lower than the chances of any given draft pick, including Peterson, turning out to be a bust. He has a track record, even if a bit limited, of success in the NFL. He brings actual game-time NFL experience, all of which with a winning team, serving as apprentice to Tomlinson. It's a relatively safe bet that Turner would be no less than a servicable starter, if not a very good one. The draft is a crapshoot.

It's also entirely possible that a RB selected at #12 would have a bigger contract than what we might be able to sign Turner for.

feldspar
03-30-2007, 05:15 PM
I don't know about any of you freaks, but I don't get a boner over ANY NFL player.

That said, I'd give Baltimore's third for him. It's not proven that he can carry the load, although it's not proven that he can't, either.

BILLSROCK1212
03-30-2007, 07:47 PM
I don't know about any of you freaks, but I don't get a boner over ANY NFL player.

That said, I'd give Baltimore's third for him. It's not proven that he can carry the load, although it's not proven that he can't, either.i agree the thread's title is just wrong

feldspar
03-31-2007, 12:46 AM
i agree the thread's title is just wrong

Wrong, indeed.

The thread starter should realize that it was only my Whammy Weenie in my pocket...not sexual excitement at all.

Anyone remember the whammy weenie?

JWatts
03-31-2007, 01:45 PM
He had TD RUNS of 83 and 73 yards

The 73 yarder came in 2006 against Tennessee & the 83 yarder came in 2005 against Indianapolis. Not exactly 2 steller run defenses there.

In the 4th quarter he had 35 carries for 246 yards with an average of 7.0 and a long of 73 and 2 TD's.

In the 1st 3 quarters he had 45 carries for 256 yards with an average of 5.7 and a long of 25 and 0 TD's.

Looks like that he let LT do most of the work.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493097/splits/2006

Tatonka
03-31-2007, 01:47 PM
holy ****.. your complaining about his 5.7 yards per carry average in the first 3 quarters? wow.

camelcowboy
03-31-2007, 02:02 PM
holy ****.. your complaining about his 5.7 yards per carry average in the first 3 quarters? wow.

Thats not better then McGahee's 3.9 :rolleyes: You know its a tough arguement to win when someone says 5.7 ypc is a negative.

Ickybaluky
03-31-2007, 02:20 PM
The 73 yarder came in 2006 against Tennessee

LT carried the ball 19 times for 71 yards in that game (3.7 YPC). If you take away Turner's 73 yard run, he still had 12 carries for 65 yards (5.4 YPC) in that game.

In the first half of that game, LT had 16 carries for 60 yards (3.8 YPC), while Turner had 4 carries for 27 yards (6.8 YPC).

the 83 yarder came in 2005 against Indianapolis.

Yeah, and it came in a 1 point game with San Deigo trying to run out the clock and the Colts loaded up to stop the run. It basically won the game.

Taht Colts defense, who you think was so weak, held LT to 76 yards on 24 carries (3.2 YPC). If you take away Turner's game-icing 83 yard run, he had 30 yards on 7 carries (4.3 YPC).

In the 1st 3 quarters he had 45 carries for 256 yards with an average of 5.7 and a long of 25 and 0 TD's.

Looks like that he let LT do most of the work.

You wouldn't take 5.7 YPC? Wow.

The thing that makes Turner so special is his ability to break long runs, because he is so big and fast.

Turner has 10 runs of 20+ yards or longer in 157 career carries, about once every 16 carries. Tomlinson has 57 20+ yard runs in 2050 career carries, about once every 36 carries.

Last year, Turner had 7 20+ yard runs in 80 carries, about once every 11.5 times he carried the ball. LT had 12 20+ yard runs in 348 carries, about once every 29 carries.

I'm not saying Turner is LT's equal, because LT is a much better receiver and has proven it over the long haul. However, in terms of breaking long runs it puts Turner's potential in perspective.

That is rare ability. How many backs, starting or backup, can even come close to that kind of ability to break long runs? Even Tiki Barber, who has been the best at breaking long runs the last few years, can't come close to that ratio.

Michael82
03-31-2007, 02:41 PM
LT carried the ball 19 times for 71 yards in that game (3.7 YPC). If you take away Turner's 73 yard run, he still had 12 carries for 65 yards (5.4 YPC) in that game.

In the first half of that game, LT had 16 carries for 60 yards (3.8 YPC), while Turner had 4 carries for 27 yards (6.8 YPC).

Yeah, and it came in a 1 point game with San Deigo trying to run out the clock and the Colts loaded up to stop the run. It basically won the game.

Taht Colts defense, who you think was so weak, held LT to 76 yards on 24 carries (3.2 YPC). If you take away Turner's game-icing 83 yard run, he had 30 yards on 7 carries (4.3 YPC).

The thing that makes Turner so special is his ability to break long runs, because he is so big and fast.

Turner has 10 runs of 20+ yards or longer in 157 career carries, about once every 16 carries. Tomlinson has 57 20+ yard runs in 2050 career carries, about once every 36 carries.

Last year, Turner had 7 20+ yard runs in 80 carries, about once every 11.5 times he carried the ball. LT had 12 20+ yard runs in 348 carries, about once every 29 carries.

I'm not saying Turner is LT's equal, because LT is a much better receiver and has proven it over the long haul. However, in terms of breaking long runs it puts Turner's potential in perspective.

That is rare ability. How many backs, starting or backup, can even come close to that kind of ability to break long runs? Even Tiki Barber, who has been the best at breaking long runs the last few years, can't come close to that ratio.
wow...the more you post about Turner, the more I love him! :drool:

I'm willing to offer our 2nd rounder and a conditional pick next year now. :up:

Tatonka
03-31-2007, 07:36 PM

"do you like apples... cuz i got her numba.. how do you like those apples"