PDA

View Full Version : Some love for Josh Reed!?

John Doe
03-27-2007, 10:55 AM
WR Josh Reed (javascript:fantasyPopup('nfl', 5922)) is coming off a solid season, one in which he firmly established himself as one of the team's most reliable receivers. Reed won't beat most of the team's wideouts in a foot race, but he may be the best route runner of the group. He is the prototypical possession receiver because has a knack for moving the chains. He knows how to work the short and intermediate zones and has good feel for finding soft spots in the secondary. He will drop an occasional ball, but his hands are more consistent than they were earlier in his career. A former running back, Reed is dangerous after the catch because he has the strength to run through tackles and the balance to stay on his feet after initial contact. He also is the team's best blocking receiver. He uses good technique and footwork and finishes every block.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=191003

Everyone seems to have a low opinion of Josh Reed around here for some reason – probably because of some high profile dropped passes in his first few years here. One poster even went so far as to say that Reed is “a horrible route runner.”
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I thought that he had a good season last year despite missing 3 games due to injury. It’s nice to see him getting some props by the Sporting News, particularly about his ability to run good routes. He is a solid role player for this team.

gr8slayer
03-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Josh Reed is solid and he is our best run blocker. He gets better every year.

Gunzlingr
03-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I have no beef with Reed.

Ed
03-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I got no beef with Josh Reed. I think a lot of people soured on him because there were a lot of high expectations for him to just be able to jump in on the other side of Moulds and fill Price's shoes after he left for Atlanta.

I think with an improved O-line and better qb play from JP, Reed is only going to get better.

Bulldog
03-27-2007, 11:18 AM

Everyone seems to have a low opinion of Josh Reed around here for some reason – probably because of some high profile dropped passes in his first few years here. One poster even went so far as to say that Reed is “a horrible route runner.”
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I thought that he had a good season last year despite missing 3 games due to injury. It’s nice to see him getting some props by the Sporting News, particularly about his ability to run good routes. He is a solid role player for this team.

I agree with the assessment of Reed. Not that it matters, but that was written by Allen Wilson of the Buffalo News. Sporting News must contract out some of these guys to cover the teams in their cities.

Mr. Pink
03-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Josh Reed isn't good enough...that's the beef.

He has never shown enough skill to merit being a 2nd round draft pick.

It's great that he can run routes but he has suspect hands. If he had hands he'd be an excellent possession receiver.

John Doe
03-27-2007, 11:24 AM

It's great that he can run routes but he has suspect hands. If he had hands he'd be an excellent possession receiver.

Reed's draft position is a moot point now - he is on his second contract.

As the article points out, his hands have improved.

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Reed's draft position is a moot point now - he is on his second contract.

As the article points out, his hands have improved.
I hope so..

Because his face mask is getting worn out from having football marks on it.

and I'll give Josh Reed he's a hell of a run blocker. by FAR the best on this team and one of the better in the entire league. I think he's a great #4 WR, and a decent #3.

But as far as he route-running capabilities; either he's never open or Losman IGNORES him. You dont average less than 2 catches per game by consistently getting open.

gr8slayer
03-27-2007, 11:29 AM
I hope so..

and I'll give Josh Reed he's a hell of a run blocker. by FAR the best on this team and one of the better in the entire league. I think he's a great #4 WR, and a decent #3.

But as far as he route-running capabilities; either he's never open or Losman IGNORES him. You dont average less than 2 catches per game by consistently getting open.
I think Reed is Losman's second favorite target. He actually seems like his number one target in some games.

gr8slayer
03-27-2007, 11:30 AM

Sounds like Braylon Edwards.

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 11:32 AM
I think Reed is Losman's second favorite target. He actually seems like his number one target in some games.
I think its time to find Losman a new second favorite target then.

Cut Peerless price.. I have no problem with Josh Reed on the team, he serves a real good role, especially when we have the lead in the 4th quarter or in certain 3rd down spots.

But we need a real #2. Neither Price nor Reed are it.

M
03-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Well, I would take Price over Reed. But then again I have this irrational hatred for Reed. If his hands have improved, then fine. We'll see .......

gr8slayer
03-27-2007, 11:34 AM
I think its time to find Losman a new second favorite target then.

Cut Peerless price.. I have no problem with Josh Reed on the team, he serves a real good role, especially when we have the lead in the 4th quarter or in certain 3rd down spots.

But we need a real #2. Neither Price nor Reed are it.
I don't disagree with you at all, but I doubt that we are going to go after any big name WR's. Unless we happen to pick someone up in the late rounds (ala Colston) that turns out to be huge for us.

I'm pretty happy with our WR corps right now. There was a great segment on NFLN on how the NFL is becoming a small WR's game and it really made alot of sense. Small WR's, lots of speed.

John Doe
03-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I hope so..

Running good routes does not always translate to "getting open" or, even if you are open, getting the ball.

Reed is working the short zone more often than not - Sometimes the short zone is flooded with defenders. Sometimes a receiver can get open but the passing lane is not there.

If you would look at some tapes of the games it would become apparent that the guy is a very good route runner. Describing his route running as "horrible" shows a lack of insight.

Losman completed 62.5% of this passes last season - good for 6th in the entire league. Receivers other than Lee Evans were getting open. Reed and Price were two of them. Their stats were not outstanding because the Bills did not throw the ball all that often last year.

BTW, Andre Davis was guaranteed by someone to supplant Reed or Price last year. It didn't happen. Now there is a reciever that does not run great routes and depends only on pure speed.

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 11:52 AM
anyone who thinks he wasn't a factor in JP's development is bonkers. He's an asset on this team. We'll see what he can do when Fairchils finally opens up the playbook.

I'd get rid of Davis in a heartbeat before I think of getting rid of Reed.

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Andre Davis is a 750K per year free agent who's not only a speed thread, but a very SOLID special team player.

Peerless Price is a $2.5 million per year WR who shows up once every four games.

And I STILL think Davis wasn't used properly. Remember the preseason game against Detroit when Nall connected on him in stride for a 73-yard TD? He never got a real shot during the regular season.

BTW, isnt he a FA and not coming back anyway?

Stewie
03-27-2007, 12:00 PM
but but but but

marv is soooo stupid for giving josh reed a signing bonus

:D

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Davis is a waste of roster spot. Everyone on this team held JP's hand for the reason of developing him. That includes Reed. So it's not like Davis was the only one who wasn't used properly.
If you ask JP whio blaied him out a lot, other than Evans ,I'm sure Reed will be his answer.

Let the results on the field speak for itself.

patmoran2006
03-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Davis is a waste of roster spot. Everyone on this team held JP's hand for the reason of developing him. That includes Reed. So it's not like Davis was the only one who wasn't used properly.
if Davis is a waste of a roster spot, then so is any stiff we bring for FA the rest of the signing period who's a ST guy.

Davis was one of, if not the best player on our ST's last year.

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 12:10 PM
if Davis is a waste of a roster spot, then so is any stiff we bring for FA the rest of the signing period who's a ST guy.

Davis was one of, if not the best player on our ST's last year.

and Reed was one of the most instrumental wr in JP's development. He has caught tons of catches for 1st downs when JP was in trouble.

I remember here how everyone was partying after he made 2 fin defenders look like bowling pins for a TD.

Until Davis PROVES to be anything more than an ST guy, Reed is more important to JP.

TedMock
03-27-2007, 12:10 PM

Reed is a solid number 3. The problem people have stems from one-half of a season three years ago. He had a series of very bad drops at that time. He hasn't really had a case of the "dropsies" ever since, but folks still harp on it. Hey, they all drop some. He just had that span a few years back where he dropped many.

He's a strong runner, an excellent blocker, has good hands (now), and runs decent routes. What he isn't is fast. He has trouble getting seperation on the outside which is why he's back in the slot. We drafted him too high, but after his college production it was the right thing to do at the time. Anyway, he's a reliable slot guy who blocks down field. Keep him.

John Doe
03-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Andre Davis is a 750K per year free agent who's not only a speed thread, but a very SOLID special team player.

Peerless Price is a $2.5 million per year WR who shows up once every four games.

And I STILL think Davis wasn't used properly. Remember the preseason game against Detroit when Nall connected on him in stride for a 73-yard TD? He never got a real shot during the regular season.

BTW, isnt he a FA and not coming back anyway?

Agreed, Davis was an outstanding punt return gunner last year. With him and Jabari Greer we had maybe the fastest set of gunners of all time.

The catch in the Detroit game was late in the game against scrubs playing press coverage. If we get into that circumstance again then yes, throw to Davis, assuming that we resign him (which I hope that they do).

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 12:30 PM
with Fairchild limiting the playbook, Josh Reed had 410 yds and 12.1 ypc. That's not too shabby for someone who's also been asked to block more than any wr on this team.

While it's only my opinion that he should get better in his 2nd year in Fairchild's system (and him opening up the playbook this year), Reed made 21 catches for 1st downs and Davis had zero. These are facts.

I will not downplay Davis' factor as a ST player (when I said waste I meant as a wr) .Davis would have to beat out Parrish and Price before he can even get to Reed.

madness
03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Reed is a solid number 3. The problem people have stems from one-half of a season three years ago. He had a series of very bad drops at that time. He hasn't really had a case of the "dropsies" ever since, but folks still harp on it. Hey, they all drop some. He just had that span a few years back where he dropped many.

He's a strong runner, an excellent blocker, has good hands (now), and runs decent routes. What he isn't is fast. He has trouble getting seperation on the outside which is why he's back in the slot. We drafted him too high, but after his college production it was the right thing to do at the time. Anyway, he's a reliable slot guy who blocks down field. Keep him.

:goodpost:

The truth hurts.

OpIv37
03-27-2007, 12:38 PM

my problem with Reed is a) the drops and b) lack of consistency. The guy just isn't consistent enough to take pressure away from Evans. Teams have no problem single covering the guy cuz he's good for maybe one first down a game. He's also seriously overpaid given his production.

Every now and then, Reed will have one really good game and people on this board instantly forget about the three weeks of mediocrity and dropped passes he gets.

I also resent the number of second chances this guy gets. For three years, I keep hearing about how this is going to be Reed's "breakout year" but it never comes.

He's fine as a #3 but we still need a #2 that's better than Reed or Price.

Saratoga Slim
03-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Reed is a good #3, he definately brings some game to the table. He was more reliable last year, but I need to see a solid year of him holding on to the ball before I'm ready to call him anything more than a #3.

As far as Price, Aiken and Davis go, Marv can do with them as he sees fit. I'm not all that attached to any of them.

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 12:46 PM
my problem with Reed is a) the drops and b) lack of consistency. The guy just isn't consistent enough to take pressure away from Evans. Teams have no problem single covering the guy cuz he's good for maybe one first down a game. He's also seriously overpaid given his production.

Every now and then, Reed will have one really good game and people on this board instantly forget about the three weeks of mediocrity and dropped passes he gets.

I also resent the number of second chances this guy gets. For three years, I keep hearing about how this is going to be Reed's "breakout year" but it never comes.

he drops the ball?
Show me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5922/receiving_splits.html

9 receptions for 93. yds. when teams blitz. that's 10.3 average ypc.

when the qb is under pressure , 3 catches for 82 yds. 27.3 ypc.

As far as your opinion of inconsistency goes, he's been splitting time with the others and asked to block. that obviously will go unoticed.

MY problem with him is that he's not a threat in the redzone. IN open field he's a huge factor for JP especially on 3rd downs. The FACTS are there.

OpIv37
03-27-2007, 12:51 PM
he drops the ball?
Show me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5922/receiving_splits.html

9 receptions for 93. yds. when teams blitz. that's 10.3 average ypc.

when the qb is under pressure , 3 catches for 82 yds. 27.3 ypc.

As far as your opinion of inconsistency goes, he's been splitting time with the others and asked to block. that obviously will go unoticed.

MY problem with him is that he's not a threat in the redzone. IN open field he's a huge factor for JP especially on 3rd downs. The FACTS are there.

I will give you that Reed is a good run-blocker, but that makes play selection a little obvious, don't you think?

No matter how you spin it, other teams don't take him seriously and they can still double Evans when he's on the field. And he's not good enough to make them pay for the single coverage.

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 12:52 PM
He stopped dropping balls when Drew left. Even MOulds stopped dropping balls when Carr was his qb. Drew was the most inaccurate qb when he had to throw 5-10 yds out which was Reeds area especially on 3rd downs. Nobody here will argue that Drew was one of the worst qb's under pressure.

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 12:54 PM
I will give you that Reed is a good run-blocker, but that makes play selection a little obvious, don't you think?

No matter how you spin it, other teams don't take him seriously and they can still double Evans when he's on the field. And he's not good enough to make them pay for the single coverage.

I'm not spining anything, the facts are there. He is very important especially in 3rd downs and qb pressures.

I know you don't like the guy but you haven't shown me proof of anything you're blaming him for other than your opinion.

If we can find a wr who can do better than Reed, I'm all for cutting him . It only makes the team better. Until that happens, he's a HUGE asset on this team.

John Doe
03-27-2007, 01:01 PM

As the article quoted indicates, Reed did not drop many passes last year.

As the #3 option, he was fairly consistent catching 3-4 passes in 8 of the 13 games that he played in. There were no 3 consecutive game droughts.

No one in this thread has stated that he should be our #2 reciever, only that he is a solid role player who is a solid contributor to the team.

Reed has a fairly unique skill set and his value goes beyond his stats. He took a lot of punishment going over the middle and got a bruised kidney to show for it. Even though our rushing offense was not good, I can remember Jauron stating how important Reed was to the run game and complaining about the run blocking from the wide receiver position after he got hurt. No one has said that we should not continue to upgrade our wide reciever corps. If we can find someone who brings everying that Reed brings and more, at a cost effective price, then by all means do it. Reed is not all that easy to replace.

OpIv37
03-27-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm not spining anything, the facts are there. He is very important especially in 3rd downs and qb pressures.

I know you don't like the guy but you haven't shown me proof of anything you're blaming him for other than your opinion.

If we can find a wr who can do better than Reed, I'm all for cutting him . It only makes the team better. Until that happens, he's a HUGE asset on this team.

huge asset? Please. The guy's a role player and a mediocre one at that. You said yourself he isn't any good in the red zone.

Lucky for you that they don't keep stats on dropped balls because if the facts were there, you wouldn't be able to scapegoat Bledsoe for Reed's stone hands. The dropped balls have decreased, but they're still a problem for him.

OpIv37
03-27-2007, 01:06 PM

As the #3 option, he was fairly consistent catching 3-4 passes in 8 of the 13 games that he played in. There were no 3 consecutive game droughts.

No one in this thread has stated that he should be our #2 reciever, only that he is a solid role player who is a solid contributor to the team.

Reed has a fairly unique skill set and his value goes beyond his stats. He took a lot of punishment going over the middle and got a bruised kidney to show for it. Even though our rushing offense was not good, I can remember Jauron stating how important Reed was to the run game and complaining about the run blocking from the wide receiver position after he got hurt. No one has said that we should not continue to upgrade our wide reciever corps. If we can find someone who brings everying that Reed brings and more, at a cost effective price, then by all means do it. Reed is not all that easy to replace.

I can agree with that. Reed is a good run blocker. I do think he makes too much for a #3 though.

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 01:06 PM

It was also mentioned in another thread that Jp's qb rating against the blitz was over 102. I'm also sure that his 3rd down qb rating is up there. I'm also sure that Reed has something to do with those ratings.

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 01:09 PM
huge asset? Please. The guy's a role player and a mediocre one at that. You said yourself he isn't any good in the red zone.

Lucky for you that they don't keep stats on dropped balls because if the facts were there, you wouldn't be able to scapegoat Bledsoe for Reed's stone hands. The dropped balls have decreased, but they're still a problem for him.

Puhlease OP. The facts are there. You have none. He's JP's gotto guy especially on third downs since 2005.

Jp and Jauron has praised Reed several times. I'm also sure that Fairchild had something to do with his resigning . You don't mind if I take their opinions + facts over yours do you? You're the one who's full of spins. Not me.

OpIv37
03-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Puhlease OP. The facts are there. You have none. He's JP's gotto guy especially on third downs since 2005.

Jp and Jauron has praised Reed several times. I'm also sure that Fairchild had something to do with his resigning . You don't mind if I take their opinions + facts over yours do you? You're the one who's full of spins. Not me.

While I have some beefs with Jauron, he's not an idiot. He's not going to dog a player to the media and risk a locker room situation. Same goes for JP- I don't know why you can't comprehend this, but players and coaches rarely give their true opinions to the media because they have to play the political game and keep fans, owners, players and the league happy. Just because someone says something to the media doesn't necessarily make it so.

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 01:24 PM
While I have some beefs with Jauron, he's not an idiot. He's not going to dog a player to the media and risk a locker room situation. Same goes for JP- I don't know why you can't comprehend this, but players and coaches rarely give their true opinions to the media because they have to play the political game and keep fans, owners, players and the league happy. Just because someone says something to the media doesn't necessarily make it so.

ah opinion. Still no facts. I know what they say and what they do are 2 different things. Right now Reed is still with the team and they haven't cut him , traded him nor asked for a paycut. Until you have facts.,..... Sorry.

alohabillsfan
03-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Here is the funny thing...

Some posters want Davis because he is an excellent punt gunner!

Some posters want Reed because he catches first downs!

I think I am going to have to side with the latter, call me crazy!

justasportsfan
03-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Here is the funny thing...

Some posters want Davis because he is an excellent punt gunner!

Some posters want Reed because he catches first downs!

I think I am going to have to side with the latter, call me crazy!

Let me get this straight. I like Davis as an ST too but he's pretty much useless as a wr.

Before I get accused of being a rarah Reed guy, I don't think the world of him but he doesn't suck like some people make him out to be. I would sure love an upgrade but he's not a liability in the passing game.

Meathead
03-27-2007, 01:53 PM
:rockout: *****es

John Doe
03-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Dropped passes are not an official stat, but they are tracked unofficially by Pro Football Weekly.

Last year for Reed: 2 drops.

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/STATS/NFL_LiveScores.htm?link=stats<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Meathead
03-28-2007, 07:47 AM
:lolpoint: reedhaters

Dr. Lecter
03-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Reed's drops are like Henry's fumbles: they each had one bad year and now have a reputation they can't get rid of.

Talk0fNewYork
03-28-2007, 08:22 AM
this is an overview of our wideouts...
evans- one of the top 5 recievers in the league.
price- can beat single coverage, wasn't looked to as often as evans.
reed- can block, get 1st downs, get yac, and had less drops than evans last year.
parrish- quick as ****, and reliable hands, he should see more passes in single coverage.
aiken-great special teamer.

OpIv37
03-28-2007, 08:26 AM
this is an overview of our wideouts...
evans- one of the top 5 recievers in the league.
price- can beat single coverage, wasn't looked to as often as evans.
reed- can block, get 1st downs, get yac, and had less drops than evans last year.
parrish- quick as ****, and reliable hands, he should see more passes in single coverage.
aiken-great special teamer.

Evans- I don't know if he's top 5 but definitely top 10- great player
Price- washed up
Reed- does some things well but generally limited
Parrish- great if you can get him the ball in space, too small to break tackles or go acorss the middle
Aiken- agreed, he has value on special teams
Andre Davis- well, you didn't even list him as a receiver, and that's appropriate given the impact he's had on the offense.

justasportsfan
03-28-2007, 08:37 AM
well, it's time to open up the playbook and see who steps up. Evans is now a marked man. I think the coaches have a pretty good idea now who should be in there with Evans instead of having a 2 and 3 wr carousel. I'm sure there's more to Parrish than what we've seen. Even Jauron said they didn't use him as much as they wanted to in the passing game. Should be a very interesting camp now that everyone has 1 year under their belt with the new system.

Here's another thing to consider as well. unlike Drew JP is learning how to not zone in on one wr. He spreads the love which could very well make the stats of the other wr's not look as impressive .

njsue
03-28-2007, 08:40 AM
IMO Josh Reed is a good WR when he plays smart ball. Meaning not dropping the darn football. Oh that pisses me off!!!!

Talk0fNewYork
03-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Andre Davis- well, you didn't even list him as a receiver, and that's appropriate given the impact he's had on the offense.
He's not even on our team yet, so untill then **** it.

Don't Panic
03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Some good points here on both sides... although I'd like tos ee us get some receiving help, it's pretty obvious that, outside of a draft pick, we are going into camp with Evans, Price, Reed and Parrish as our WRs. Everyone loves Evans, no need to beat that point. Price... well, I hold out hope that a better Losman and more attention on Evans will free him up. This is a make or dump year for him... no production means we give up. As for Reed, tough to justify $2.5 mil. a year at this point. The guy is a great #3 WR, but we have another one of those in parrish as well. I don't know... I know he get's a bad rap, but I also know he hasn't put up numbers to justify what he's doing. I think this year is make or dump for him, too. If Price and Reed post similar numbers to last year, we should let them both go and bring in a true #2 WR and move Parrish to #3. THEN we would have a strong WR corp.