• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Doe
    Florida Man
    • Jul 2002

Some love for Josh Reed!?

WR Josh Reed is coming off a solid season, one in which he firmly established himself as one of the team's most reliable receivers. Reed won't beat most of the team's wideouts in a foot race, but he may be the best route runner of the group. He is the prototypical possession receiver because has a knack for moving the chains. He knows how to work the short and intermediate zones and has good feel for finding soft spots in the secondary. He will drop an occasional ball, but his hands are more consistent than they were earlier in his career. A former running back, Reed is dangerous after the catch because he has the strength to run through tackles and the balance to stay on his feet after initial contact. He also is the team's best blocking receiver. He uses good technique and footwork and finishes every block.

Everyone seems to have a low opinion of Josh Reed around here for some reason – probably because of some high profile dropped passes in his first few years here. One poster even went so far as to say that Reed is “a horrible route runner.”

I thought that he had a good season last year despite missing 3 games due to injury. It’s nice to see him getting some props by the Sporting News, particularly about his ability to run good routes. He is a solid role player for this team.
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: Some love for Josh Reed!?

Josh Reed is solid and he is our best run blocker. He gets better every year.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
      • Jul 2002

I have no beef with Reed.
      You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Ed
        Dude
        • Sep 2002

I got no beef with Josh Reed. I think a lot of people soured on him because there were a lot of high expectations for him to just be able to jump in on the other side of Moulds and fill Price's shoes after he left for Atlanta.

I think with an improved O-line and better qb play from JP, Reed is only going to get better.

Comment

• Bulldog
          Top Dog
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by John Doe
          http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=191003

Everyone seems to have a low opinion of Josh Reed around here for some reason – probably because of some high profile dropped passes in his first few years here. One poster even went so far as to say that Reed is “a horrible route runner.”

I thought that he had a good season last year despite missing 3 games due to injury. It’s nice to see him getting some props by the Sporting News, particularly about his ability to run good routes. He is a solid role player for this team.
          I agree with the assessment of Reed. Not that it matters, but that was written by Allen Wilson of the Buffalo News. Sporting News must contract out some of these guys to cover the teams in their cities.
          I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Josh Reed isn't good enough...that's the beef.

He has never shown enough skill to merit being a 2nd round draft pick.

It's great that he can run routes but he has suspect hands. If he had hands he'd be an excellent possession receiver.

Comment

• John Doe
              Florida Man
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!

It's great that he can run routes but he has suspect hands. If he had hands he'd be an excellent possession receiver.
              Reed's draft position is a moot point now - he is on his second contract.

As the article points out, his hands have improved.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by John Doe
                Reed's draft position is a moot point now - he is on his second contract.

As the article points out, his hands have improved.
                I hope so..

Because his face mask is getting worn out from having football marks on it.

and I'll give Josh Reed he's a hell of a run blocker. by FAR the best on this team and one of the better in the entire league. I think he's a great #4 WR, and a decent #3.

But as far as he route-running capabilities; either he's never open or Losman IGNORES him. You dont average less than 2 catches per game by consistently getting open.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  I hope so..

and I'll give Josh Reed he's a hell of a run blocker. by FAR the best on this team and one of the better in the entire league. I think he's a great #4 WR, and a decent #3.

But as far as he route-running capabilities; either he's never open or Losman IGNORES him. You dont average less than 2 catches per game by consistently getting open.
                  I think Reed is Losman's second favorite target. He actually seems like his number one target in some games.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!

Sounds like Braylon Edwards.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                      I think Reed is Losman's second favorite target. He actually seems like his number one target in some games.
                      I think its time to find Losman a new second favorite target then.

Cut Peerless price.. I have no problem with Josh Reed on the team, he serves a real good role, especially when we have the lead in the 4th quarter or in certain 3rd down spots.

But we need a real #2. Neither Price nor Reed are it.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• M
                        • Aug 2006

Well, I would take Price over Reed. But then again I have this irrational hatred for Reed. If his hands have improved, then fine. We'll see .......
                        Let's Go Bills ... B B B B B B Bills!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                          • Feb 2005

I think its time to find Losman a new second favorite target then.

Cut Peerless price.. I have no problem with Josh Reed on the team, he serves a real good role, especially when we have the lead in the 4th quarter or in certain 3rd down spots.

But we need a real #2. Neither Price nor Reed are it.
                          I don't disagree with you at all, but I doubt that we are going to go after any big name WR's. Unless we happen to pick someone up in the late rounds (ala Colston) that turns out to be huge for us.

I'm pretty happy with our WR corps right now. There was a great segment on NFLN on how the NFL is becoming a small WR's game and it really made alot of sense. Small WR's, lots of speed.

Comment

• John Doe
                            Florida Man
                            • Jul 2002

I hope so..

Running good routes does not always translate to "getting open" or, even if you are open, getting the ball.

Reed is working the short zone more often than not - Sometimes the short zone is flooded with defenders. Sometimes a receiver can get open but the passing lane is not there.

If you would look at some tapes of the games it would become apparent that the guy is a very good route runner. Describing his route running as "horrible" shows a lack of insight.

Losman completed 62.5% of this passes last season - good for 6th in the entire league. Receivers other than Lee Evans were getting open. Reed and Price were two of them. Their stats were not outstanding because the Bills did not throw the ball all that often last year.

BTW, Andre Davis was guaranteed by someone to supplant Reed or Price last year. It didn't happen. Now there is a reciever that does not run great routes and depends only on pure speed.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

anyone who thinks he wasn't a factor in JP's development is bonkers. He's an asset on this team. We'll see what he can do when Fairchils finally opens up the playbook.

I'd get rid of Davis in a heartbeat before I think of getting rid of Reed.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X