PDA

View Full Version : Does Ralph really want to win a SB before he dies?

BuffaloRanger
03-27-2007, 11:25 AM
With all the talk about revenue sharing and small market teams I have to ask one question.

How much money did the Bills lose last year?

They haven't lost money in years.

If the team is worth 750+ million and the team makes between 40-50 million dollars in profit a season, why is Ralph insisting on sticking to cash to cap this season? I know that big spending doesn't guarentee success (redskins) but why disadvantage yourself?

Yep, someone will surely try to explain to me about the long term viability of the team I'm sure. But isn't that truely the worry of the next owner?

Ralph is not going to live forever. He can't take the money with him. We are all concerned about the status of the team when he is gone. Why not go for it now?

The financial viability of a small market team is not going to convince a new potential owner to keep the team in Buffalo if he desires to move it.

I just don't understand the strict adhearence to fiscal prudence for a team with an 87 year old owner. Does he really want to a Super Bowl?

The Answer
03-27-2007, 11:43 AM
With all the talk about revenue sharing and small market teams I have to ask one question.

If the team is worth 750+ million and the team makes between 40-50 million dollars in profit a season, why is Ralph insisting on sticking to cash to cap this season? I know that big spending doesn't guarentee success (redskins) but why disadvantage yourself?

Yep, someone will surely try to explain to me about the long term viability of the team I'm sure. But isn't that truely the worry of the next owner?

Ralph is not going to live forever. He can't take the money with him. We are all concerned about the status of the team when he is gone. Why not go for it now?

The financial viability of a small market team is not going to convince a new potential owner to keep the team in Buffalo if he desires to move it.

I just don't understand the strict adhearence to fiscal prudence for a team with an 87 year old owner. Does he really want to a Super Bowl?

RW has no desire to win a championship and is one of the worst owners in the league. All he does is whine and complain like the grizzled cheapskate he is - the sooner this team is purchased by a new owner the better.

~The Answer

feelthepain
03-27-2007, 11:55 AM
I would say RW cares more about the money then he does about the success of the team. Oh he wants to win, but only if that can be at as little cost as possible. You can get away with that on the field as long as you spend the money on the coaches, but when you refuse to pay the coaching staff and the players, you have no chance to succeed. When MM quit the Bills and they added Dick Juron, it was clearly because he could be had cheap, sure Marv wanted him, but only because Marv couldn't spend the money to get a better coach. Coaches also don't want to coach for a chep owner...uless they are getting no interest form anyone else. I believe Juron fit this to a "T"!

Bulldog
03-27-2007, 12:06 PM
I would say RW cares more about the money then he does about the success of the team. Oh he wants to win, but only if that can be at as little cost as possible. You can get away with that on the field as long as you spend the money on the coaches, but when you refuse to pay the coaching staff and the players, you have no chance to succeed. When MM quit the Bills and they added Dick Juron, it was clearly because he could be had cheap, sure Marv wanted him, but only because Marv couldn't spend the money to get a better coach. Coaches also don't want to coach for a chep owner...uless they are getting no interest form anyone else. I believe Juron fit this to a "T"!

How did that Saban hiring work out for Miami? How much money did they spend on him again? Levy hired Juron because he was familiar with him and felt comfortable working with him. I would assume that Levy actually sees a lot of himself in Juron. Similar style and demeanor. Sometimes it's not all about money, it's about finding the right guy for the job. As far as Juron goes, the jury is still out. As Miami found out, throwing money at the "hot" coaching prospect doesn't equal success. Hell, Lovie Smith was one of the lowest paid HC last year and all he did was take his team to the Super Bowl. Get a clue before you post please!

Dr. Lecter
03-27-2007, 12:09 PM
RW has no desire to win a championship and is one of the worst owners in the league. All he does is whine and complain like the grizzled cheapskate he is - the sooner this team is purchased by a new owner the better.

~The Answer

How times do we have to prove that he is not cheap?????

That comment is so moronic, it is laughable.

And to say he does not want to win a championship is even a greater level of moroncy (I invented a new word!)

~Dr.Lecter

RockStar36
03-27-2007, 12:12 PM

And to say he does not want to win a championship is even a greater level of moroncy (I invented a new word!)

~Dr.Lecter

People easily confuse being cheap with over-spending. Those same people ignore the Washington Redskins.

And Lecter...please don't start signing every post like it does. That is horribly annoying.

The Answer
03-27-2007, 12:17 PM

~Dr.Lecter

He broke the bank for one player (Dockery) - that doesn't erase all the other frugal moves in recent years.

This team is committed to losing - whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

~The Answer

gr8slayer
03-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Jauron that beat you twice this year?

BTW, Ralph spent more on FA than the Dolphins did this year.

RockStar36
03-27-2007, 12:23 PM
He broke the bank for one player (Dockery) - that doesn't erase all the other frugal moves in recent years.

This team is committed to losing - whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

~The Answer

Then go root for someone else.

The Answer
03-27-2007, 12:23 PM
People easily confuse being cheap with over-spending. Those same people ignore the Washington Redskins.

And Lecter...please don't start signing every post like it does. That is horribly annoying.

The Answer knows the difference and don't expect us to throw millions of dollars at mediorce players like the Redskins do year after year.

What The Answer expects is an owner that realizes it's the 21st century and we aren't the AFL anymore. At some point the frugal ways need to cease - we need an aggressive owner committed to bringing a world title to Buffalo.

~The Answer

Stewie
03-27-2007, 12:25 PM

I'll give you an example why.

Maybe his girls want the team, and will be required to pay a lot of money in taxes to get it.

Maybe, just maybe, Ralph is figuring out the best way to get the cash to them so they can pay the tax. Thats where the 40-50 million a year is going.

Maybe he is covering is bases, because the worst thing that could happen is to give the team and cash to the kids, have the kids spend a lot of it on taxes and the team, and then have the team go "under" because it can't compete in Buffalo (ie: bought out at a significant discount to it's value, and moved.)

So I will give Ralph the benefit of the doubt, that he has a plan in place to do what's best for his kids, the team and the city of buffalo.

The Answer
03-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Then go root for someone else.

Nope - The Answer is committed to this team. And The Answer demands division titles and playoff wins. Something your current owner could care less about.

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
03-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Nope - The Answer is committed to this team. And The Answer demands division titles and playoff wins. Something your current owner could care less about.

~The Answer

Right. Ralph does not want to win.

M
03-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Of course Ralph doesn't want to win a SB. He's only in it for the tailgating.

THATHURMANATOR
03-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Why wouldn't he want to win a superbowl? This thread is MENTAL.

casdhf
03-27-2007, 12:39 PM
It looks to me that Ralph is more concerned with the long-term success of the team than he is with winning at the expense of the future. You don't get to the position he's in without some sort of foresight.

The Answer
03-27-2007, 12:40 PM

Thanks for acknowleding what The Answer already knows.

~The Answer

Mr. Pink
03-27-2007, 12:44 PM

I think most if not all people will agree with this statement...judging all the facts and everything involved.

Ralph does want to win as does every other owner and even athlete BUT he's concerned more with his pocketbook at this point in his career.

What the reasons are behind it, no one knows. Be it greed, setting up his family financially in the future when he's gone, making the team bad enough to get the NFL to agree to allowing him to move, etc etc.

Typ0
03-27-2007, 12:46 PM
This arguement is always coming up about the $$$. The reason is because it's all about what your $$ are worth. Once you become financially independant you become a business. The object of the business is to maximize the wealth of the owners of the business. It's not about "ok, he has enough money already" because any person that ever had that attitude lost their money because it's a horrible business philosophy. So if the team is worth $750M here and $1.25B somewhere else there is no escaping going after that $500M because if you don't you will be broke.

The value of the asset is about the revenue streams it generates. So protecting those revenue streams is critical to the value. Revenue sharing does this. Another big thing is keeping the team competitive. Those two things go hand in hand. So if the revenue sharing does not benefit the Bills then RW has been saying it's going to be an obstacle to keeping the team competitive due to the loss of cash flow. This is a bottomless pit. So the competitiveness of the team is a critical part of the issue. Winning a championship would be seen as a huge financial victory and is directly related to all of the issues with the team.

RockStar36
03-27-2007, 12:46 PM
I think most if not all people will agree with this statement...judging all the facts and everything involved.

Ralph does want to win as does every other owner and even athlete BUT he's concerned more with his pocketbook at this point in his career.

What the reasons are behind it, no one knows. Be it greed, setting up his family financially in the future when he's gone, making the team bad enough to get the NFL to agree to allowing him to move, etc etc.

Not screwing the team financially and hosing the next owner.....

The Answer
03-27-2007, 01:14 PM

The Answer is sick and tired of millionaires, whether it be celebrities, athletes, franchise owners, corporate CEO's, etc using the 'I need to look out for my family' arguement/excuse.

These greedy, self absorbed humanoids already have more money than most people will ever see in their life. They are MILLIONAIRES 10x over already - how much money does their 'families' need? How many more useless, trust fund babies does this world need? How many more fancy cars do they need to buy? How many more homes do they need?

The people defending RW just don't get it - and the sad part is that he don't give a damn about the fans, he just wants your hard earned money that's it - so he can horde millions more before he kicks the bucket - his family will probably just sell the team to somebody in LA anyways and then move the franchise - so don't he owe you a quality product on the football field for that???

~The Answer

feelthepain
03-27-2007, 01:16 PM
How did that Saban hiring work out for Miami? How much money did they spend on him again? Levy hired Juron because he was familiar with him and felt comfortable working with him. I would assume that Levy actually sees a lot of himself in Juron. Similar style and demeanor. Sometimes it's not all about money, it's about finding the right guy for the job. As far as Juron goes, the jury is still out. As Miami found out, throwing money at the "hot" coaching prospect doesn't equal success. Hell, Lovie Smith was one of the lowest paid HC last year and all he did was take his team to the Super Bowl. Get a clue before you post please!

This was bout RW being cheap, not the Dolphins.

gr8slayer
03-27-2007, 01:18 PM
This was bout RW being cheap, not the Dolphins.
Wayne must be a real cheap ass considering Ralph has spent more this season.

ricogarion
03-28-2007, 07:31 AM
I think that Ralph is a realist about winning a Super Bowl as owner of the Bills.

Statman
03-28-2007, 08:17 AM
You're seeing "financial prudence" this year?

We've spent a ton, far more than we ever have. And what did we get for it?

At some point everyone has to start questioning the competencies of those entrusted with running this team.

BuffaloRanger
03-28-2007, 03:23 PM
It looks to me that Ralph is more concerned with the long-term success of the team than he is with winning at the expense of the future. You don't get to the position he's in without some sort of foresight.

You hit the nail on the head, and proved my point, without even realizing it.

I totally understand building for the future, but the long term success of the team does not include him - odds are he'll be buried in Detroit before the decade is through.

Why the "cap to cash" team initiated constraint this season? We all lament the fact that Jimbo and crew went to 4 straight SBs without winning one. But what about Ralph? If you were a guy that owned an NFL team for 40+ years and never hoisted the Lombardi trophy (AFL doesn't count) wouldn't you do almost anything to win just one before you died? Especially when considering his family has publicly said they didn't want to inherit the team.

Captain gameboy
03-28-2007, 03:38 PM

So what's the basis for Miami's coaching problem?

Is it just serendipity that coach's and quarterbacks go there to suck?

I think Ralph wants one more than anything.