PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo article on the Spikes/Holcomb trade

The Answer
03-27-2007, 02:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-eaglestrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

"This is something that has been brewing," Bills general manager Marv Levy said. "Takeo is a good person, but we wanted to strengthen our defensive tackle. They've been looking for a linebacker and I think they wanted an experienced backup quarterback."

"Takeo Spikes is a proven playmaker in the National Football League," Eagles general manager Tom Heckert said. "He has the ability to play all three linebacking positions and were happy to add him to our defense."

Holcomb has made 21 starts over an 11-year career. He joins A.J. Feeley (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5603/) on the quarterback depth chart behind Donovan McNabb (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4650/). Holcomb did not play last season, but completed 155 of 230 passes for 1,509 yards with 10 touchdowns and eight interceptions in 2005.

Holcomb proved expendable in Buffalo after J.P. Losman (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6781/) won the starting job in training camp following an off-season long three-way competition between Holcomb and third-stringer Craig Nall (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6050/). That was a considerable step for Losman, who was twice benched in 2005 in favor of Holcomb.

~The Answer

Devin
03-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Funny how it leaves off he was benched by one of the most inept coaches in the NFL.

Holcomb blows ass.

The Answer
03-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Funny how it leaves off he was benched by one of the most inept coaches in the NFL.

Holcomb blows ass.

Love him or hate him - the former Middle Tennessee State standout is a gamer and will be a crucial piece to the Eagles championship hopes if McNabb goes down for the 3rd year in a row.

It's scary thinking how good the Eagles high octane offense would be with Holcomb behind their great oline and all the weapons they have.

~The Answer

Romes
03-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Did i miss that time when Holcomb was good? I don't remember that ever happening, other than twice in Cleveland.

streetkings01
03-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Love him or hate him - the former Middle Tennessee State standout is a gamer and will be a crucial piece to the Eagles championship hopes if McNabb goes down for the 3rd year in a row.

It's scary thinking how good the Eagles high octane offense would be with Holcomb behind their great oline and all the weapons they have.

~The AnswerYeah it's scary alright....scary for the Eagles fans if McNabb goes down and Holcomb comes in! Dont try and make Holcomb out to be anything more than he already is.....a career backup! Holcomb is the only player in history who gets so much praise for 2 games that he threw for over 400 yards and his team still lost!

M
03-27-2007, 02:23 PM

~The Answer

This is a joke right??

Mr. Miyagi
03-27-2007, 02:24 PM
:rofl:

What difference does it make? All Captaiin Checkoff does is 3 yard dumpoff anyway.

The Answer
03-27-2007, 02:26 PM
:rofl:

What difference does it make? All Captaiin Checkoff does is 3 yard dumpoff anyway.

Big part of Eagles passing game is the dump passes to Westbrook and the tight ends.

In fact Westbrook is an animal - 5 yard swing pass could easily turn into a 80 yard TD.

~The Answer

Devin
03-27-2007, 02:27 PM
LMAO this has to be a joke.

Mr. Miyagi
03-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Yeah that's only if there's a remote threat that there's a deep pass, that's why the dumpoffs work when defenses back up and respect the deep throw.

With Captain Checkoff on the field, Ds will load up the box.

RockStar36
03-27-2007, 02:30 PM
The Answer is failing to recognize that Holcomb doesn't even have the backup job yet. He has to compete with Feeley who was just signed to an extension.

TacklingDummy
03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Holcomb proved expendable in Buffalo after J.P. Losman (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6781/) won the starting job in training camp following an off-season long three-way competition between Holcomb and third-stringer Craig Nall (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6050/). That was a considerable step for Losman, who was twice benched in 2005 in favor of Holcomb.

~The Answer

What 3-way competiton? Nall was hurt basically all training camp and Holcomb got 1 series against Carolina's #1 D. It was JPs job all along. The competition was a joke. And if JP couldn't beat out those 2 bums then he doesn't deserve to be on the roster anyways.

The Answer
03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah that's only if there's a remote threat that there's a deep pass, that's why the dumpoffs work when defenses back up and respect the deep throw.

With Captain Checkoff on the field, Ds will load up the box.

Let them load up the box - Holcomb will make them pay dearly because the Eagles have a great oline that knows how to pick up the blitz.

~The Answer

mysticsoto
03-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Well, let's not blast Holcomb...I mean, look who he'd be up against AJ Feeley??? I can't believe he's still in the NFL. He wasn't even good enough for Miami. Personally, I think Philly made a mistake by not keeping Garcia...but since they are not my team, I could care less. If they wanted a veteran presence to compete against Feeley and possibly take it from him then let them. I actually like it b'cse now we can draft a raw QB that we can try and mold. Additionally, we should be rooting for Holcomb. After all, our conditional pick may depend on him!!!

The Answer
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
The Answer is failing to recognize that Holcomb doesn't even have the backup job yet. He has to compete with Feeley who was just signed to an extension.

Feeley is garbage and the extension means nothing, if anything the Eagles did it to save money when he's cut because of the proration of the contract. - Levy himself even conceded that the Eagles were in the market for an experienced, veteran QB if you read the article.

Just get your crow ready - and fantasy leaguers looking for a steal should draft Holcomb on their team if they want to rack up the points.

~The Answer

Statman
03-28-2007, 08:14 AM

Holcomb blows ass.
I'll tell ya what's funny, that Levy says he wanted to strengthen DT after an offseason when that was half the effort in spending a huge sum of money (Tripplett) and trading up into the 1st round (McCargo) in addition to another 5th rounder (Williams), and no one seems to have caught that.

Sure, let's draft a few more in the 1st and 3rd rounds too. What the heck. Let's really shore up that position. Sooner or later after a dozen acquistions maybe we'll have it down pat.

LMAO

feelthepain
03-28-2007, 08:21 AM

Holcomb blows ass.

It also leaves out yet another Bill player wanted out of Buffalo and the fact that the Bills now have the weakest LB core in the East if not the AFC! Marv claims the Bills wanted to strengthen their DT position, you don't do that with a guy that's weak against the run. The Bills had to address the front 7 but, you just moved the hole in the defense from Dline to the LB's. I think this move weakend the Bills D because you have no one to play LB, the Bills did have some talent on the Dline before the Walker trade.