PDA

View Full Version : Michael Turner tidbit

Bulldog
03-28-2007, 07:25 AM
MICHAEL TURNER TIDBIT: For those that haven't seen it, I thought this was an interesting revelation about trade talks concerning Michael Turner. It appeared on ESPN.com with Pro Football Weekly's Trent Modglin commenting during an online PFW chat session.

Mike, Fallbrook, CA: In light of the Shaub deal between then Falcons and Texans, You have to believe that Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith is going to shop Michael Turner for the best price he can get before the draft; he says the phones have been ringing and I still feel that the Packers, Bills or Browns will step up with a creative and fair offer; AJ loves young talent and will not let him walk away next season without any compensation;

Trent Modglin: (4:03 PM ET ) Funny Mike, I actually just put a call into Turner's agent right before I logged on to see what was going on. Unfortunately, I got his voice mail. However, I think AJ Smith will have to listen to deals that will come in the weeks leading up to the draft, especially if a first-round pick is involved for a backup RB he's likely to lose next season anyway. I hear that the Bills, Packers and Browns

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

It seems like a lot of people don't like the idea of Buffalo making a play for Turner. I for one would love the move. While Turner hasn't been tested as a full time starter in the NFL, I think he has shown enough to warrent an opportunity to be a starter in this league. And please don't compare M. turner to L. Jordan, because Jordan couldn't hold Turners jock when it comes to god given ability. While there is no gurantee that Turner will be a stud, the same can be said for any of the backs that will be available in April. I guess it all comes down to what SD wants for him and what kind of contract he'll be looking for.

ricogarion
03-28-2007, 07:34 AM
I am not an advocate of helping teams that are Super Bowl caliber get richer by giving up my extremely valuable draft picks to them for players that will be free agents in one season.Use the picks to enhance your own club and to hell with the Chargers and AJ Smith.

ddaryl
03-28-2007, 07:39 AM
I would be willing ot part with one of our 3rd's this year and a pick in 2008 no higher then a 3rd (the 2008 pick should be a performance/durability/play time based pick)

The other interesting thing here is I'm sure AJ and Marv have some positive history together from back in the day, which might bode well for us in negotiations.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 07:43 AM
I would be willing ot part with one of our 3rd's this year and a pick in 2008 no higher then a 3rd (the 2008 pick should be a performance/durability/play time based pick)
Exactly, we shouldn't have to give up more than we got for Willis, who was a proven back.

Night Train
03-28-2007, 07:45 AM
I am not an advocate of helping teams that are Super Bowl caliber get richer by giving up my extremely valuable draft picks to them for players that will be free agents in one season.Use the picks to enhance your own club and to hell with the Chargers and AJ Smith.

Umm.. draft picks = Players

Michael Turner = a Player ! One who is familiar with the NFL. Not some college guy with potential.

I'll leave it up to the the Bills to decide whether he's worth the trade.

Some here treat draft picks as a sure thing. They're not.

Bulldog
03-28-2007, 07:50 AM

Michael Turner = a Player ! One who is familiar with the NFL. Not some college guy with potential.

Couldn't have said it better myself. At least Turner has had some success, albeit in a back up role, in the NFL. Which is more than can be said of Peterson and Lynch at this point. This isn't a real strong year for RB's in the draft, and I'd rather take my chances with Turner than a rookie.

madness
03-28-2007, 07:52 AM
As I recall, trading for Turner was supposed to be a pipe dream. Get er done, Marv!

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 07:58 AM
This is funny. The Chargers are talking about getting a first rounder, and you guys think that they will gladly take one of our 3rds.

Willing to pony up the first rounder for Turner? I'm not.

Night Train
03-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Review the last several drafts and look at all the bombs drafted on Day 1.

A recent article I read stated roughly 50 % of the 1st round picks don't ever make the expected impact and are considered busts. They then stated you could increase that by 10 % in each of the next 3-4 rounds.

If you see a vet you like and he shows something on the NFL level, it's probably a good gamble to try and aquire him.

Bulldog
03-28-2007, 07:59 AM
I really think the ball is in SD's court. They can either be realistic in their demands for Turner and get a 3rd rounder or possibly a 2nd, or they can hang on to him for this year and get nothing for him next year. I don't think SD has a whole lot of leverage.

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Willing to give up the 2nd rounder? I'm not.

Bulldog
03-28-2007, 08:02 AM
This is funny. The Chargers are talking about getting a first rounder, and you guys think that they will gladly take one of our 3rds.

No way in hell will SD get a 1st rounder for Turner. Like I said earlier, they can either be realistic in their demands for Turner and get a 3rd rounder or possibly a 2nd, or they can hang on to him for this year and get nothing for him next year.

Elminster
03-28-2007, 08:08 AM
I'd give them a 2nd. We were probably going to go LB-RB or RB-LB in the first two rounds anyways. If the guy we want at 12 isn't there, we can always try to move down....

Bulldog
03-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Willing to give up the 2nd rounder? I'm not.

Probably not. I'd be willing to part with a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year. Pretty much would be giving up what Buffalo got for McGahee. Buffalo's 2nd is a little too rich.

Ickybaluky
03-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Turner would be a great fit for you guys. I don't think he is worth the #12, but if I were the Bills I'd gladly hand over your high 2nd or multiple picks equaling lower first round value.

Turner is a heck of a player.

Bulldog
03-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Turner would be a great fit for you guys. I don't think he is worth the #12, but if I were the Bills I'd gladly hand over your high 2nd or multiple picks equaling lower first round value.

In the end, what do you think it will take to land Turner? Buffalo's 2nd seems a tad high. If Buffalo had a pick later in the 2nd, I would be all over it.

Night Train
03-28-2007, 08:16 AM
What RB in the 2nd round is better than Turner ?

Let's hear some names, rather than vague statements without any knowledge.

Some of you talk like Gollum with these faceless draft picks.." My Precious ! "

OpIv37
03-28-2007, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't mind having Turner on our team- my objection to him is the price we would have to pay to get him. Solid running backs can be found in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft- we don't have to mortgage the proverbial farm to get production from the RB position this year.

ddaryl
03-28-2007, 08:28 AM

SD is the one pipe dreaming if they actually believe someone will give up a 1st or a 2nd rd pick for a backup RB who will be a FA after the season.

Common sense says no NFL team will go higher then a low 2nd rounder.

No I wouldn't even consider a 1st round pick an option.

Talk0fNewYork
I'd give them a 2nd. We were probably going to go LB-RB or RB-LB in the first two rounds anyways. If the guy we want at 12 isn't there, we can always try to move down....
I am, Turner will do everything Mcgahee couldn't, break a long one (1 in a million for WM), fight for yards, he is better than LT between the tackles.

THATHURMANATOR

Again why would we give up more than we received for Willis? It makes NO sense. Both are entering the final year of their contracts and Willis is at least established.

madness
03-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Considering we will have to draft a back anyway, I have no problem giving up a 2nd. We'd either use that or a 1st on a back so it would make perfect sense. I'd rather use the 1st on Willis if he's available and picking up Turner would give us that flexibility. Heck, lets copy the Jets offer to swap 2nd's and if they don't bite throw one of our extra 3rd's in as well.

What RB in the 2nd round is better than Turner ?

There isn't any. :up:

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 08:30 AM
I'd rather sign Chris Brown for nothing and draft LB, CB, DT, and maybe a WR.

alohabillsfan
03-28-2007, 08:31 AM
I would offer the same as the Jets/Bears swap 2nd rounders!

Ickybaluky
03-28-2007, 08:34 AM
In the end, what do you think it will take to land Turner? Buffalo's 2nd seems a tad high. If Buffalo had a pick later in the 2nd, I would be all over it.

I don't know. A.J. Smith seems pretty hell-bent on holding onto the guy unless someone signs him to a tender. He could be posturing, but Smith has a history of this. He held onto Drew Brees and let him go to FA. He held on to Donnie Edwards, despite the two not getting along.

That said, it makes sense for SD to deal him if the right deal comes along. I can't see him taking less than a low 1st/high 2nd, or picks equivalent to that. The guy is a heck of a player, and a nice insurance policy should LT suffer and injury. I think he will want value.

But you never know, and it doesn't hurt to make an offer.

I'll say this: Getting a RB like Turner would make the Bills offense pretty much complete (probably could upgrade at TE or 2nd WR, but overall pretty good). Is that worth a high 2nd? I really don't see any other RB in the draft, outside of Peterson or Lynch, that I'd want over him. Even without that high 2nd, Buffalo could draft a LB or CB high and address the defense again with those 3rds.

I know I'd deal it.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 08:34 AM
I'd rather sign Chris Brown for nothing and draft LB, CB, DT, and maybe a WR.
Me too. MUCH RATHER. Both are Similar in age and Brown Has had more success so far.

Ickybaluky
03-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Again why would we give up more than we received for Willis? It makes NO sense. Both are entering the final year of their contracts and Willis is at least established.

I think he is better than Willis. He is bigger and faster for sure.

You guys have been more critical of Willis than anyone (doesn't know the plays, dances too much, etc.), now you want to use him to set the bar?

DraftBoy
03-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Here is a curious thought/idea;

Turner, SD 1st, Day 2 pick

for

Buffalo 1st, Conditional 4th in 08

we move down (albeit alot) where we could still land either a good LB or WR. We get our starting RB who we know can produce in the NFL and we land another Day 2 pick. I think San Diego would like it too.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 08:40 AM

for

we move down (albeit alot) where we could still land either a good LB or WR. We get our starting RB who we know can produce in the NFL and we land another Day 2 pick. I think San Diego would like it too.
NO FREAKING WAY.

Talk0fNewYork
03-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Turner and A-Train will be a great 1/2 punch either A-Train will start and soften up the defense and then Turner will come through and bulldoze thier wich was his role in SD, or he will start and A-Train will come in and grind out the clock and be a 3rd down back.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 08:41 AM
I think he is better than Willis. He is bigger and faster for sure.

You guys have been more critical of Willis than anyone (doesn't know the plays, dances too much, etc.), now you want to use him to set the bar?
Sure "you think" he is but he has proven nothing in my mind. I do like him and wouldn't mind obtaining him but I don't want to get into a bidding war for him.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Turner and A-Train will be a great 1/2 punch either A-Train will start and soften up the defense and then Turner will come through and bulldoze thier wich was his role in SD, or he will start and A-Train will come in and grind out the clock and be a 3rd down back.
If we traded all that for Turner he Freaking better be Starting!!!

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2007, 08:43 AM

I'm with you. I'd trade our 2nd round pick in a heartbeat, and seriously consider adding a later round or 2008 pick to the deal. We've got to draft a running back, and Turner is flat out a better risk than any of the other guys that look to be there in the 2nd round and beyond. I'd even take him over Lynch.

He's a 240 lb back that is fast enough to handle kick return duties. Last year he had 80 carries for 502 yards, 6.3 y/carry, and seven runs of 20+ yards with NO fumbles. 26.5 yards per kickoff return (that's better than Devin Hester and Terrence McGee by the way).

McGahee last year? 259 carries, 990 yards, 3.8 y/carry and four runs of 20+ yards with 4 fumbles.

Talk all you want about Tomlinson softening up defenses, and there may be some truth to that, but how's Turner averaging 26.5 yards a pop on kick returns without some serious ability? The guy had almost twice as many 20 yard runs as McGahee on less than a third of the carries.

He's got big-play speed and skills, there's simply no question about that. The one question that should be asked is whether he can handle a full workload as a feature back, but at 240 lbs, you've got to think he can take some hits. I'm not really too worried about that, but we do have A-train to spell him, and we could very well take a flyer on a later round RB as well.

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2007, 08:44 AM
OK, there's two questions that should be asked. The second is what our financial picture is going to look like next year when it comes time to give him a new contract.

clumping platelets
03-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Give up our 3rd and a cond '08

Night Train
03-28-2007, 08:45 AM

for

That's not bad, DB.

justasportsfan
03-28-2007, 08:56 AM
give em' the picks we got for Willis from the ravens . I'd be happy with that.

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2007, 08:57 AM

for

Done. Look at it this way: assume we're planning on an LB in round 1. If we do that deal, we would almost certainly still have at least one of Beason, Timmons, Alexander or Posluszny to chose from at San Diego's pick, and so all we'd be losing is whatever difference there is between one of those players and Patrick Willis. Willis looks right now to be a step above those guys, but who really knows.

And we'd gain a day 2 pick. Screw our 4th in 2008, I don't even care if its conditional. We still have the extra 3rd from the McGahee pick.

If San Diego would take it, I wouldn't hesitate.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm with you. I'd trade our 2nd round pick in a heartbeat, and seriously consider adding a later round or 2008 pick to the deal. We've got to draft a running back, and Turner is flat out a better risk than any of the other guys that look to be there in the 2nd round and beyond. I'd even take him over Lynch.

He's a 240 lb back that is fast enough to handle kick return duties. Last year he had 80 carries for 502 yards, 6.3 y/carry, and seven runs of 20+ yards with NO fumbles. 26.5 yards per kickoff return (that's better than Devin Hester and Terrence McGee by the way).

McGahee last year? 259 carries, 990 yards, 3.8 y/carry and four runs of 20+ yards with 4 fumbles.

Talk all you want about Tomlinson softening up defenses, and there may be some truth to that, but how's Turner averaging 26.5 yards a pop on kick returns without some serious ability? The guy had almost twice as many 20 yard runs as McGahee on less than a third of the carries.

He's got big-play speed and skills, there's simply no question about that. The one question that should be asked is whether he can handle a full workload as a feature back, but at 240 lbs, you've got to think he can take some hits. I'm not really too worried about that, but we do have A-train to spell him, and we could very well take a flyer on a later round RB as well.

I think this is just crazy we gave up a second. We can grab a player the Caliber of Turner in the third.

Elminster
03-28-2007, 09:00 AM
All I remember about him is him playing the Colts a few years ago when he had something like an 80-yard TD run. One move and he was GONE. Turner is FAST. If we get him, there'll be no more linebackers chasing down our running back...there isn't going to be anyone chasing him down. And he's fricking 242 lbs. I like him...I like him a lot and I'd love to see him in a Bills uniform. He's easily better than Willis....

mysticsoto
03-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Well one good thing is that no one else appears to be biting for Michael Turner so we don't have to pay premium prices. I wonder if Marv is waiting to see if Adrian Peterson falls to us or not and then will decide. I'm not expecting anything to come of Turner until draft day if it does come...

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2007, 09:14 AM
I think this is just crazy we gave up a second. We can grab a player the Caliber of Turner in the third.

Maybe. But there's no guarantee. Turner's got an NFL track record, a short one--but an impressive one, while Irons, Pittman and Bush don't. And if scouts thought Irons, Pittman or Bush were good risks to become feature backs in the NFL, we wouldn't be talking about them as 3rd round picks (admittedly Bush is being held back by his injury, but its a pretty serious injury as he just got operated on again). Bottom line is each of those guys are question marks. I would feel confident going into the season with Turner/A-Train, but I'll be kinda edgy about rookie/A-Train.

It will suck if we trade for Turner and Peterson falls to 12 though.

camelcowboy
03-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Number 12 pick for him is too high. The number twelve straight up might be good enought for briggs."It has more value then the skins offer" But Turner is going to be great and i would part with multiple seconds in a heart beat. McGahee couldn't hold Turner's jock thurm. Added Bonus is he speaks english. A very young expierenced back up who has shown he can play in this league yet has little ware and tear. I don't know why so many of you are against him just watch san diego use him. The only reason he's a back up is that the best running back in the world is in front of him "maybe he's taught him a couple of things".

Philagape
03-28-2007, 09:20 AM

for

That's not an outlandish idea ... late in the first round is where several of the linebacker prospects that have been mentioned around here can be had

camelcowboy
03-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Maybe. But there's no guarantee. Turner's got an NFL track record, a short one--but an impressive one, while Irons, Pittman and Bush don't. And if scouts thought Irons, Pittman or Bush were good risks to become feature backs in the NFL, we wouldn't be talking about them as 3rd round picks (admittedly Bush is being held back by his injury, but its a pretty serious injury as he just got operated on again). Bottom line is each of those guys are question marks. I would feel confident going into the season with Turner/A-Train, but I'll be kinda edgy about rookie/A-Train.

Turner is better then any second of third round rb. Anyone who thinks different belongs in the special olympics. If peterson still falls trade down if willis isn't there recover some picks.

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Exactly. If we sign Brown for nothing, then we can draft to fill our many other holes.

A Brown / A Train tandem is good enough for now.

Or even Dillon / A Train.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 10:06 AM

Turner has a couple long runs YIPPEE.... BIG DEAL. No guarentees any way you want to look at it.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Turner is better then any second of third round rb. Anyone who thinks different belongs in the special olympics. If peterson still falls trade down if willis isn't there recover some picks.
What the **** are you talking about. He himself was drafted in the 5th round. Why are you licking this guys balls so hard. If I remember right in his brief play he has also been dinged up a bit. How the hell do you know that "NO SECOND ROUNDER COULD POSSIBLY BE AS GOOD AS THE GREAT MICHAEL TURNER??". Sounds like crazy talk to me.

camelcowboy
03-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Turner has a couple long runs YIPPEE.... BIG DEAL. No guarentees any way you want to look at it. Far more then a couple of runs thurm, but whats the sense. Im done arguing for turner. If they do trade for turner ill take great pleasure in defending him.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Far more then a couple of runs thurm, but whats the sense. Im done arguing for turner. If they do trade for turner ill take great pleasure in defending him.
I won't be mad if we get him but I am not so sure he will be great or bad. Just think he is costing too much at this point.

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 10:11 AM
What the **** are you talking about. He himself was drafted in the 5th round. Why are you licking this guys balls so hard. If I remember right in his brief play he has also been dinged up a bit. How the hell do you know that "NO SECOND ROUNDER COULD POSSIBLY BE AS GOOD AS THE GREAT MICHAEL TURNER??". Sounds like crazy talk to me.
All we hear around here is crazy talk. :::

camelcowboy
03-28-2007, 10:16 AM

I have watched him play many times and i like him alot, Just like I watched kenny Irons, Antonio Pittman, and Chris brown play alot. MY OPINION is he is better then all of them. He brings more to the table then any of them for this team next year. Your saying Turners been dinged up, but your pushing for Chris Brown/Dillion? Jeez get real. These guys are always on the mend.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 10:19 AM
I have watched him play many times and i like him alot, Just like I watched kenny Irons, Antonio Pittman, and Chris brown play alot. MY OPINION is he is better then all of them. He brings more to the table then any of them for this team next year. Your saying Turners been dinged up, but your pushing for Chris Brown/Dillion? Jeez get real. These guys are always on the mend.
Would we be trading multiple picks for Brown or Dillon? :idunno:

Mitchy moo
03-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Turner is 2nd round material at best.

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2007, 10:21 AM

Oh there's absolutely a chance that Pittman, Irons or someone else in later in this draft will turn out to be better than Turner. Who knows, maybe even better than Tomlinson (if that's possible). But the problem is picking WHICH of the 10 or so running backs taken in rounds 3-7 are going to be that guy. Because most of them aren't.

My point is that its a matter of weighing the odds. I think that the odds are better that Turner can fill the feature back (or at least major contributor) role than the odds that we will correctly identify the one or two later round RBs that can do it.

And thus I'm happy to trade a 2nd for him, and wouldn't be appalled if we added one of our thirds--though I'd prefer either a later round or a 3rd next year.

camelcowboy
03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Would we be trading multiple picks for Brown or Dillon? :idunno:

Brown could break his hand signing the contract, and Dillion still hits the hole real hard with his rascal. Draft a Back, or trade for one. signing dillion or Brown would not better this team.

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Exactly. If we sign Brown for nothing, then we can draft to fill our many other holes.

A Brown / A Train tandem is good enough for now.

Or even Dillon / A Train.

Or sign Brown and draft a 3rd round rookie RB. THAT I'd be OK with, as Brown would give us extra insurance in case the rookie can't tell his ass from his elbow. A-Train/3rd round rookie with only shaud in the background scares me.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Oh there's absolutely a chance that Pittman, Irons or someone else in later in this draft will turn out to be better than Turner. Who knows, maybe even better than Tomlinson (if that's possible). .
Ok Kreskin.... This is the craziest thing I have heard in a long time.

Saratoga Slim
Brown could break his hand signing the contract

:roflmao:

THATHURMANATOR
Or sign Brown and draft a 3rd round rookie RB. THAT I'd be OK with, as Brown would give us extra insurance in case the rookie can't tell his ass from his elbow. A-Train/3rd round rookie with only shaud in the background scares me.
YES! :bf1:

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Ok Kreskin.... This is the craziest thing I have heard in a long time.
That someone would turn out to be better than Tomlinson? Yeah, I agree that's pretty crazy, and I made that clear.

Otherwise, I just agreed with you: there is a chance some late round running back will be better than turner. Let me know when you figure out which one.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 10:31 AM
That someone would turn out to be better than Tomlinson? Yeah, I agree that's pretty crazy, and I made that clear.

Otherwise, I just agreed with you: there is a chance some late round running back will be better than turner. Let me know when you figure out which one.
Yeah the Tomlinson thing is crazy.

Oh I misread I thought you were disagreeing with me which is crazy... :D

DraftBoy
03-28-2007, 10:36 AM

:rofl: very nice I need a good laugh

HAMMER
03-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I have watched Turner play and I can assure you he is a better RB than Willis McGahee. He is a stud that is waiting patiently for his turn. Just because he hasn't been a starter doesn't mean he can't ball with the best of them.

I don't think AJ Smith is in any hurry to move him though. The Chargers are gunning for a Super Bowl and Turner provides them with a huge insurance policy in the event of an LT injury.

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Yeah the Tomlinson thing is crazy.

Oh I misread I thought you were disagreeing with me which is crazy... :D

:beers:

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 11:11 AM
:rofl: very nice I need a good laugh
So you are a in love with Turner also?

camelcowboy
03-28-2007, 11:14 AM
http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Relax Thurm its sounds like the chargers are asking alot, and Turner wants a big deal.

Night Train
03-28-2007, 11:21 AM
So you are a in love with Turner also?

DB is basing his opinion on knowing what level of talent is actually available in this draft vs. the talent level of Turner.

If this was 2008, we wouldn't be even having this conversation. It will be loaded with one of the best RB classes in years. Arkansas alaone has 2 RB's with 1st round ability ( McFadden & Jones ). You could see 6-8 guys with first round grades.

This class is painfully thin, plus none of these top guys can block worth a damn.

Turner is a unique player in the right place at the right time. The Chargers have several needs on Defense and an extra 2nd round pick ( just guessing ) could help. Turner is FAR better than anyone else not named Peterson or Lynch and may be better than those 2 guys.

A 2nd rounder for a 240 lb. bowling ball with 4.4 speed ? That's nothing.

Do it.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Where has it been confirmed he has 4.4 speed?

HAMMER
03-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Holy doubting Thomas.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Per ESPN.

Turner is one of the premiere restricted free agents available, although the Chargers tendered him at the first- and third-round compensation level, which makes him virtually untouchable for other teams. Turner backs up the best running back in the NFL in LaDainian Tomlinson but is a talented player who could start for half the teams in the NFL. He averaged 6.3 yards per carry and nearly 16 yards per reception this season. He is a short, but powerful, well-built runner. He has an extremely thick-muscled frame, especially in is lower body. He is a tough inside runner who gets yards after contact because of his strong leg drive. He is a patient runner who shows excellent vision to set up his blocks before he hits the hole. He is a downhill runner who hits the hole with solid force. He has solid cut-back ability. He looked like he improved his ability to make defenders miss last season. He does a good job of pressing the hole. He runs with solid balance and body control and it's tough to get him off his feet. He runs with a very good center of gravity. He shows the foot quickness to get to the edge. He gets his shoulders square quickly once he gets to the corner and he will lower the boom on corners who try to tackle him out on the perimeter. He improved as a pass blocker this season. His vision and blitz-pickup awareness were much better than previous seasons. He is not a true burner in terms of his speed, but he does build to speed and he can run away from defenders when he shakes loose in the open field. He has very good value as a kick return man. He averaged 26.5 yards per kick return this season. Despite plenty of touches over his career as a return man and ball carrier he has only put the ball on the ground one time. He does need to improve his pass-catching ability. He only had three receptions last season and he still does not seem natural catching the ball out of the backfield. If a team makes a play for him as a restricted free agent they have to be convinced he can be an every-down player and catch it consistently out of the backfield, but that is the one thing he has not shown over his career

Good overall analysis. Shoots your 4.4 to crap though.. Raises concerns in the end about his receiving capabilities.

kgun12
03-28-2007, 11:49 AM

There asking price is a 2nd. BIG DEAL. The Bills were looking for better than a 3rd for Willis. I hardly ever remember any team getting what they want for a player. I think that is why they call it negotiations. :idunno:

Bert102176
03-28-2007, 12:00 PM

no matter who you draft they are never a sure thing but MT isn't a sure thing either I really don't want him here

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Right and Willis is a big named Back who has produced good numbers and is proven and we didn't get a 2nd for him. WHY WOULD WE GIVE UP ONE FOR TURNER?

Ickybaluky
03-28-2007, 12:04 PM

He ran a 4.42 at the combine.

See this link:

LINK (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/michael_turner)

madness
03-28-2007, 12:07 PM

He ran a 4.46 back in college. His nickname isn't Turner the Burner for nothing. If you don't know about Turner, you just don't know. There's a reason why San Diego is putting up a fight for him. That says a lot when you have LT on your roster.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Ok fine get him. Try not to give up a 2nd though.

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 12:27 PM
I remember him being fast in college, but I don't remember him being this big. Must have roided up with Merriman.

Night Train
03-28-2007, 12:29 PM
He's also left handed and likes running sweeps to that side, as opposed to the norm of seeing RB's run sweeps to the right.

Think of the left side of our line. Dockery, Peters and Royal outside of him.

I'm seeing positive yardage just saying that.

ddaryl
03-28-2007, 12:39 PM
He ran a 4.46 back in college. His nickname isn't Turner the Burner for nothing. If you don't know about Turner, you just don't know. There's a reason why San Diego is putting up a fight for him. That says a lot when you have LT on your roster.

IMO it doesn't say a damn thing, it just says SD is going to try and milk as much as they can from any suitors.

We recieved a 3rd in 2007 and a 3rd in 2008 for Willis, who was a starter. I would not give up more then that for SD's backup RB who they will either end up paying more then they want to for a backup, or have ot release because he becomes disgruntled at being a backup and recieving backup wages.

IMO SD will be lucky ot get a low 2nd rd pick, and if the Bills used their 2-3rd rd picks from the Willis trade then SD should be more then happy. SD is just trying to see if someone will overpay them for Turner

Heck the Bills gave up a 1st for Rob Johnson, a career backup QB, maybe someone else is dumb enough to pony up a 1st or a high 2nd rd pick for a backup, but I guessing nobody will. SD can wait until draft day and see if anyone gets an itchy trigger finger.

Tha fact remains Turner is no more of an every down proven NFL back then any of the top backs available in the draft. And how will Turner be on astroturf in December ?

All that being said I would be glad to get Turner for a resasonable price.

DraftBoy
03-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Ok fine get him. Try not to give up a 2nd though.

Nobody is suggesting that, I suggested we move down so far bc we need to get an OLB badly and to take one at 12 is a big reach so if we drop down that far we not only get a steal, we also solved our RB issues. There are no better RB's and I dont think Lynch is even all that good. Turner is a great pickup for us.

madness
03-28-2007, 12:54 PM
IMO it doesn't say a damn thing, it just says SD is going to try and milk as much as they can from any suitors.

We recieved a 3rd in 2007 and a 3rd in 2008 for Willis, who was a starter. I would not give up more then that for SD's backup RB who they will either end up paying more then they want to for a backup, or have ot release because he becomes disgruntled at being a backup and recieving backup wages.

IMO SD will be lucky ot get a low 2nd rd pick, and if the Bills used their 2-3rd rd picks from the Willis trade then SD should be more then happy. SD is just trying to see if someone will overpay them for Turner

Heck the Bills gave up a 1st for Rob Johnson, a career backup QB, maybe someone else is dumb enough to pony up a 1st or a high 2nd rd pick for a backup, but I guessing nobody will. SD can wait until draft day and see if anyone gets an itchy trigger finger.

Tha fact remains Turner is no more of an every down proven NFL back then any of the top backs available in the draft. And how will Turner be on astroturf in December ?

All that being said I would be glad to get Turner for a resasonable price.

I never said we should over pay. Earlier in the thread I suggested to swap 2nd's a la the Jets-Bears then maybe throw in one of our extra thirds if they don't bite.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Nobody is suggesting that, I suggested we move down so far bc we need to get an OLB badly and to take one at 12 is a big reach so if we drop down that far we not only get a steal, we also solved our RB issues. There are no better RB's and I dont think Lynch is even all that good. Turner is a great pickup for us.
This isn't so bad I guess!

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Your plan is better than my plan of trading a 2nd for him, as we wouldn't be losing a pick this year, just moving down in the 1st to where it would make sense to take one of the OLBs anyway.

However, trading the 2nd still lets us take care of LB and RB. I.e. if Willis is there at 12, we can take him and just leave Crowell at SLB. The 2nd we trade for Turner takes care of our RB need, and we're off to the races BPA for the rest of the draft.

Bulldog
03-28-2007, 01:58 PM
I like the ideas that have been thrown out and think some of them are pretty realistic. It's all going to depend on what the Chargers want for Turner and what kind of contract he's looking for. Who knows, maybe the Chargers will decide to hang on to him in case LT goes down. They are a team with legitimate SB aspirations.

Tatonka
03-28-2007, 02:05 PM
i cant imagine that turner is loooking for a RIDICULOUS amount of money for his first contract with no history as a starter.

if he got the money we would pay lynch at the 12 spot, i would be fine with that.

Ed
03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't know a lot about Turner except for some highlights I've seen, but he looked pretty good. He's definitely a load to bring down.

He didn't look that slow either. I don't know how fast he is, but hasn't he had a few 70+ yard runs including an 83 yard TD? When was the last time a Bills RB had a huge run like that? If you can make huge runs like that, you can't be that slow. Not to mention his 26+ yd kick return average.

Bulldog
03-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Anyone think A.J. Smith would be a ***** and not trade him to Buffalo because of his history w/ Ralph Wilson and the Bills organization? We all know that Butler left on bad terms and Smith went with him.

Ed
03-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Anyone think A.J. Smith would be a ***** and not trade him to Buffalo because of his history w/ Ralph Wilson and the Bills organization? We all know that Butler left on bad terms and Smith went with him.
I don't think so. That was a while ago and I'm sure there's no bad blood between AJ Smith and Marv. Besides, Butler and AJ wanted to leave. Plus, Ralph and Butler made their peace while he was sick in the hospital before he died.

bflojohn
03-28-2007, 04:42 PM
In my opinion, the Bills should "hold their water" and simply take the best back in the second round. My choice here is a back that would suit Steve Fairchilds' offense to a tee... Brian Leonard! He is the recieving back that this offense is built for, IMO. Additionally, you are NOT doling out a huge contract To Michael Turner that he is inevitably going to ask for. Personally, Michael Turner is exactly the player that has been described here, but I'm also of the mind that A.J. Smith doesn't want to spoil his designs on a championship parade!! They simply need MT.

Bond
03-29-2007, 10:13 AM
No way in hell will SD get a 1st rounder for Turner. Like I said earlier, they can either be realistic in their demands for Turner and get a 3rd rounder or possibly a 2nd, or they can hang on to him for this year and get nothing for him next year.

They wouldnt be getting nothing, they would be getting a 3rd or fourth round complimentary pick

Bond
03-29-2007, 10:21 AM

This all sounds great, but this is a ****ty year for RBs, there isnt crap after Lynch and AD.

Bulldog
03-29-2007, 11:21 AM
They wouldnt be getting nothing, they would be getting a 3rd or fourth round complimentary pick

Turner will be an UFA next year. So how do you figure they'll get a 3rd or a 4th for him?

Bond
03-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Turner will be an UFA next year. So how do you figure they'll get a 3rd or a 4th for him?
they will get a pick from the nfl for losing him as a FA, so youve gotta think, they'll need atleast, a low second early third

Bulldog
03-30-2007, 11:54 AM
they will get a pick from the nfl for losing him as a FA, so youve gotta think, they'll need atleast, a low second early third

That all depends on who the Chargers choose to sign in FA next offseason. Way to early to be looking at that.

ddaryl
03-30-2007, 12:10 PM
I never said we should over pay. Earlier in the thread I suggested to swap 2nd's a la the Jets-Bears then maybe throw in one of our extra thirds if they don't bite.

fair enough, but any talk of using a 1st or our 2nd straight up to acquire Turner is over paying